Thứ Ba, 3 tháng 1, 2017

Model 3 Notchback Trunk - Deal-Killer? part 1

  • Apr 1, 2016
    igotzzoom
    Based on photos that have come out of the reveal event, it's looking more and more likely that the 3, or at least initial iterations of it, are going to be conventional notchbacks. I don't know about you, but this is a huge letdown for me. I was really hoping for a liftback like the Model S, and the roofline certainly suggested one. I'm going to keep my reservation for now, but this does change my purchase consideration somewhat.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    MC33
    Not a letdown for me at all. It's about what I was expecting and I love the look of the car. Can't wait. Plus I have a Subaru Impreza sedan so it really doesn't look that much smaller. My wife has an Outback so we will continue to use that until a Model Y type crossover is available if we need the extra cargo space (which isn't that often).
  • Apr 1, 2016
    lolachampcar
    More like Killer Deal
    The only design risk is the single large piece of glass. The "notchback" removes design risk, cost and fragility of electronic actuators and moving glass. I'm very happy to see any moves to reduce complexity and design risk while providing functionality (like no dash but cab forward providing leg room for the rear occupants). I think T has knocked this one out of the park provided someone can fix the catfish upper lip front bumper. Not even a mother could love that one. Luckily, its molded plastic and they have about a year to try different versions.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Velaar
    I don't really see a problem with it. As this is not going to be the only car in the family and for any imaginable daily task this will do the job. I would however prefer to have a liftback and will consider it if there is an option.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    stopcrazypp
    I didn't pick any on the list as the answers did not seem like a good fit. I am disappointed there is no hatch, but it was not an instant dealbreaker for me. However, I might decide against buying depending on how the final trunk opening is, right now it looks really small.

    I might wait for Model Y, but I have a feeling that car won't be the type I am looking for (it'll probably be CUV and have falcon doors).

    I'm not hopeful that Elon has another trick up his sleeve given the 3D model of the chassis shown during the presentation (which shows there is a huge horizontal metal structure in the way, which makes it unlikely a hatchback is possible).
  • Apr 1, 2016
    aija SigX 649
    The one piece glass roof canopy does not lend itself to a lift-back trunk unfortunately. Personally, If I had to chose between a lift-back trunk and the roof canopy, I think the roof would win every time in this class of car.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    lolachampcar
    Especially given the roof provides an open airy feel to the car without any articulation that comes with the big sun roof :)
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Seagrave7
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Bimbels
    I would prefer a lift back but it's not a deal breaker - even though I haul luggage every time I go to work. I do love that about our S.

    I am hoping the final design will be improved in this area - in one of the ride videos the engineer did say this was not final and the final would be bigger. If they could make it a lift back and have it still look good I would prefer it.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Mark Z
    The major benefit of the Model 3 trunk design is the lack of damage that can occur when a large hatch hits a garage ceiling.

    For what I carry 99% of the time, this design works fine. Recycling may require some smaller containers or the use of the side doors. Furniture delivery can be done by the store. Not everything fits in Model S or X, it isn't a problem for me.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    aija SigX 649
    The rear seats fold down and there is no "wall" between the trunk and seat-backs like with a conventional sedan trunk which offers a lot more utility and flexibility. You can fit surfboards, skis, 2x4s, etc. The only constraint really is with bulky cargo that require additional hight. Difficult to design for every use-case! Would need to move to different class of car if you can't live without it.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    igotzzoom
    I'm not saying I'm ready to throw in the towel completely and cancel my reservation because of it. Heck, my current car is a notchback, and on a day-to-day basis, it's fine. But I've owned several hatchbacks over the years, and they're really hard to beat for all-around versatility. I'm going to have to ponder on it some, and I'm hoping there may be a "But wait, there's more" moment in the not-too-distant future where I might be pleasantly surprised.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    pinski
    I'd prefer a liftback, but a traditional trunk, even one with a small opening, will be totally fine. We were planning on saving our ICE SUV for hauling even after the Model ? is delivered.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    ankitmishra
    I believe this is the best possible way to make an electric car at this price point as of now. Some compromises are definitely there. But as of now, this decision has a benefit for Tesla that it will discourage people to go from Model S to Model 3.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    joefee
    I'll use my Model S for large cargo. If Model 3 were my only car, I would rather have the lift back.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Nick Matjasic
    x2... I agree 100%.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Red Sage
    I find it disappointing that it is a Notchback. I will continue to await the arrival of a Coupe. Hopefully that will have both Falcon Wing Doors, and a Liftback. Oh, and a front end from Ferrari instead of Porsche.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    AC238
    Well it seems people find things to complain about. This is the price of a 3 series , A4, or C class. They don't have liftback hatches either.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    plug
    I'd prefer a liftback, but the trunk's just fine with me. If the rear seat folds down, it would make a lot of flat space.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Sponge Bob
    Deal killer for me. I will not buy and I was pumped. Why make something that looks like a liftback, but with a trunk with tiny opening? Why deviate from the Model S/X design? Funny that the auto pronostigators said that it would have a hatchback. Also I don't want a glass top and hate sunroofs (I actually ripped out my current car's sunroof and replaced it with carbon fiber plug). Why have such an expensive feature (huge expensive pane of glass) on a "budget" car? It would be funny to toss a brick on that big pane of glass and see how much it would cost to replace. Hope they get smart with a liftback and a hardtop version.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Bimbels
    In one of the rides, the engineer told who asked that the glass roof would be an option, and that a steel roof and a pano roof would be options. In another, he said the trunk design was not complete and that the end would be bigger. I don't know if he meant bigger trunk, bigger opening, or different altogether (lift back.) I doubt it would be a lift back, personally, and expect if that's what the deal killer is then wait for the model Y. I'm hoping that is the "next level" tease elon keeps referencing.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Sudre
    Of coarse a lift back would be fantastic but the segment the Model ? is going after does not typically have it.
    In no way is this a deal breaker. It was actually expected. I will admit I hoped for a lift back but I don't mind getting what I expected.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Tennisballer
    I was disappointed that it had a notch back. I was really really disappointed with the all glass roof it is extremely hot in Atlanta and a roof like that would be unbearable in the hot summer no a/c system could keep up with that. I was so glad I could get my model s with a solid roof my neighbors have the pano roof and it sucks in the summer even with tint on it. Not to mention how many much noisier it is than the solid top. I will probably just get another model s for my wife I was gong to get a model 3 but that roof actually kills it for me.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    houdini
    3 options dude: metal roof, all glass and all glass pano sunroof. Now what do you think? Plus we might get a CUV in reveal part 2. That'll cause a jump in reservations/sales. The notchback not a problem for me. I have a hatchback already. If Tesla offers a hatchback/CUV 3 then I'll buy/reserve that as well.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    igotzzoom
    Not true. There's the 3 Series GT, not to mention the 4-series Gran Coupe, both sold in the U.S. The A5 Sportback is offered in Europe, probably soon to come to the U.S.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    eye.surgeon
    Dude I live in Fresno and my pano Model S doesn't get any hotter than a solid roof. I guarantee you Fresno in August makes Atlanta feel air-conditioned.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    eloder
    Because the vehicle you're looking for is a minivan, SUV, or pick-up truck--not a compact sedan.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Guest
    If you can get a bike in back without removing handlebars I am good with it.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    jdorff
    I agree and I'm disappointed like a kid that's dropped his ice cream cone.

    They should have kept with the Model S design.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Gen3Joe
    My thoughts exactly. I will be spending so much on this it will be my only car. To me the glass is an expensive gimmick. Cool yes but at the expense of all the practical use a lift back offers? No.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    BravoSarah
    You know some idiot would smash the glass loading something big into a hatchback. I can live with the truck, as long as my skis will fit!
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Skotty
    I don't think the glass is a gimmick at all. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been in a non-full-size car where someone sat in the back and didn't complain or make note of the beam their head always bumps into. To do away with this no-one-ever-wants-to-sit-in-the-back-beam doesn't seem at all a gimmick.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    ItsNotAboutTheMoney
    Don't like it. We rarely carry rear passengers, usually they're small or tolerant (i.e me in the back), and are more likely to be carrying cargo. So I'd give away some headroom to get a hatchback.

    But, I want a long-distance BEV more so I'm not canceling my (confirmed*) reservation.

    * I like logging in and seeing "<Name>'s Tesla".
  • Apr 1, 2016
    anticitizen13.7
    A lift back like Model S would have been nice, but it's not necessary for me. I get by just fine with a conventional trunk in my Honda Civic sedan.

    I expect that Tesla will address the need of people to carry more cargo with the crossover to be based on Model 3, the rumored Model Y.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    ItsNotAboutTheMoney
    Crossovers aren't for cargo, they're for ground clearance or high seating position. If you just want cargo space you get a wagon.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    AC238
    Except 35K is not budget, that's mid range / entry-luxury. Budget is more 20-25K (think Toyota Camry/Honda Accord/Mazda 6/Subaru Legacy/Ford Fusion/VW Passat/Kia Optima/Chevrolet Malibu/Chrysler 200/Nissan Altima/Hyundai Sonata/Buick Verano).

    See IIHS , 3 series / C Class / A4 are "Midsize luxury/near luxury cars": Safety ratings

    while Accord/etc are "Midsize moderately priced cars " : Safety ratings

    Even entry-luxury cars such as Audi A3 / Mercedes Benz CLA have panoramic roof options. Key word being option. If you don't like it or don't want it , nobody is forcing you to get it.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    jdorff
    No, the vehicle we are looking for is a 5 door. The "three box" sedan design is inferior, and this vertical trunk hole appears particularly inferior.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Petra
    While I would very much prefer a liftback design in the Model 3, I already have a Model S for hauling stuff around and I have no intention of getting rid of the Model S. That said, I'm also not a fan of glass tops... sure, they look neat and the feeling of openness is really cool, but it can hit 114*F out here in the summer and get down to around 12*F or so in the winter and glass tops tend to do a very poor job of shielding occupants from those sorts of extremes.

    But, whatever, I'll make due with whatever they decide on for the production model... :rolleyes:
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Sponge Bob
    Right. I don't want a big crossover. My current car weighs 1940lbs and is 49" tall, has gocart like handling and 1g lateral accleration (R-tires), but with the liftback it can haul 8' christmas trees, beds, furniture, wood, etc. Just takes a bungee cord and some reusable shopping bags for padding.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    JohnSnowNW
    Since you put "budget" in quotations, I have to assume you realize that it isn't. So, there is your answer.

    The reason they've gone with glass was explained...your dislike of sunroofs does not make it a poor design choice for the segment.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    eloder
    Yea, and five door barely exists in this segment.

    And those that do, tend not to have gorgeous, spacious long glass roofs like the Model 3.

    They've chosen a design direction for the M3 just like they did the MX. Whether you like it or not, that's the direction they're going.

    The Model S is your big, bulky, plywood-hauling vehicle. The Model 3 and Model X are more practical people movers, and their cargo capabilities reflect being good people movers.

    With shorter wheelbases you tend to get hatchbacks or notchbacks, this isn't some sort of Tesla oddity but a practical design decision well-established by the automotive industry. Having good rear headroom with a liftback of a short wheelbase just doesn't tend to be possible.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    thelastdeadmouse
    I'm not cancelling my reservation, but the trunk is VERY disappointing for me. My current car is a Volt, and its liftback\hatchback design has allowed me to haul:

    A pellet stove
    A 5 foot tall four drawer antique wooden filing cabinet
    A cabinet saw
    A 22-inch drum sander AND dust collector
    An antique dining table with a full set of chairs.
    Sheets of plywood cut into thirds (32x48)
    Multiple sets of tires.
    40 gallon hot water heater

    Out of all of these, only 1 or 2 could possibly fit through that trunk opening. Its really disappointing that I'll be switching to a car that has more cargo room, but much less cargo utility. This is why hatchbacks \ liftbacks are such a superior design, they just offer so much flexibility for their form factor. I'm really hoping that part of the Part 2 future announcement will be a liftback or hatchback option.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    dctrombly
    People are talking against the idea of a hatchback/5 door like it's some kind of technical impossibility in this segment. Ummm VW Golf, Audi A3, Ford Focus, Mazda3, Toyota Prius, Chevy Cruze; I'm confused why this is such a feat. Tesla literally just had to add another bar & joint for the trunk to pivot, exactly like the Model S, which they've already implemented perfectly. The body shape of the Model 3 begs for a hatch even more than the Model S, with its steeper rear downward slope. This is a massive disappointment for a company who constantly brags about the functionality and versatility of their vehicles. Luckily it's just a prototype so I really doubt such an oversight won't be addressed, so I'll be holding on to my spot in the queue.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    gregincal
    I just hope the frunk will be more convenient to use than the model S (no push down with one hand and bump it closed with my bottom while holding groceries).
  • Apr 1, 2016
    PaulJB
    Dang, dude, you need a truck. JK. I'm impressed with what you're doing with the Volt. I, personally, would rather beat up an old truck with that stuff than a new $35K+ car.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    PaulJB
    How many of the cars you mention are long range EVs starting at $35K? Its not the liftback portion that is a technical impossibility. Its making a sexy looking, highly aerodynamic sedan with good interior space, and long range (200+ miles) for $35K that is near technological sorcery to achieve. I was quite impressed with their scheme for making the car more aerodynamic while maintaining rear headroom using a glass roof.

    I doubt they change the design. That would require a substantial redesign of the structure of the vehicle pretty late in the game.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    ucla107
    Man I was hoping it'll be a lift back :(
  • Apr 1, 2016
    sg021
    Would have preferred a lift back, but what they showed is fine. At least there's a frunk for extra storage.

    I already went through the can model x haul all the things and all the kids on all the trips. This car only needs to fit two forward facing and one rear facing car seat across the second row with room for groceries somewhere and it's a done deal.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    jdorff
    I've owned a BMW 3-series and an Audi A4. I've also known many people shopping in this segment. Not once was "rear headroom" a consideration. I transported my kids in the A4 frequently, and head room was never a consideration.

    Unless you are an Uber driver, who frequently transports adults in the rear seat of a small car?
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Red Sage
    Well, those cars are mostly rather ugly. :D And, generally speaking only the A3 and Prius are anywhere near being competitors with Tesla Model ?. Most expect that a 'hatchback' in this segment would be along the lines of the supremely ugly Lexus CT 200h. I was very much hoping for the utility of a Liftback, because it would have made purchasing a Sedan more palatable to me. As I mentioned before, I think I can settle in and wait for a Coupe at this point. Or, at least until the Tesla Model ? Reveal Part II comes along.

    What I gathered from watching the animation behind Elon last night was that the car was very much designed from the inside out to accomplish a particular set of goals. So, yeah... Even though this is still pretty early in the game, I expect quite a bit is set in stone for this particular vehicle already. But, it would be really, really nice if the guys at Tesla Motors were to switch this car to a Liftback, even if it meant three pieces of glass instead of only two from front to back across the roof.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    dhanson865
    The thing I used to love a hatch for is TVs from best buy or another box store. Amazon and ups/fedex/usps fixed that one for me. Besides with 70" to 100" TVs likely to be common in 2018 and on will you really try to shove one of those into a hatch?
  • Apr 1, 2016
    Kyuu
    I don't really get all the defense for this decision. If you don't care about usable cargo space, that's fine. But all the arguments thus far are nonsense.

    This is NOT a compact car. It's well into mid-size sedan territory. Even if it was compact, there exist compacts with liftbacks.

    It's irrelevant whether whatever other cars you cherry-pick to compare it to have liftbacks or not. Other vehicles in the Model S's "class" don't have liftbacks either. Yet the Model S still does. And I haven't heard any complaints about the Model S's liftback impeding rear seat headroom; unsurprising, since the presence or lack of a liftback has nothing to do with rear headroom.

    The only reason not to have a liftback is to keep the glass roof as a single piece. Sure, it's nice aesthetically, but the utility gained by a liftback far outweighs concerns over having to separate the glass roof into two separate pieces. Not to mention those who choose a conventional roof get screwed out of a liftback for no reason whatsoever.

    I'm not cancelling my preorder because I'm hoping that they simply weren't able to get the final liftback design ready in time for the unveiling or somesuch, and will have something to show later. But if they keep the crappy little trunk-hole, it's a really bafflingly bad decision in what is otherwise a wonderful vehicle.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    TaoJones
    If I bought a 100" tv, I'd have it delivered.

    Anyone care to take a stab at the linear distance between the front seatbacks and the aft end of the interior with the rear seats folded down and ostensibly flat?

    Curious to know if there's enough room to sleep back there without doing an impression of a corkscrew during camping trips.
  • Apr 1, 2016
    808?
    Looks perfectly fine for me, why do people carry around so much junk?
  • Apr 2, 2016
    WarpedOne
    Just because they can.

    My first car had a liftback, I used it once or twice. My current car is a notchback coupe.
    I cannot even fit 4 replacement tires in there any more. What do i do? I just don't.

    I will be happy if 3 gets a hatch, and am ecstatic I am finally in the process of getting a tesla.
    Notch, hatch, blahblah, don't really mind. I am also very happy there are reservation cancellations, don't expect me trying to talk you out of it.

    What I am thinking about is why go this notch route.
    Lower chassis weight? Lower cost? Higher strength? Probably all of it.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Kurt Foster
    Okay, the Model 3 is a mix of ALL previous Tesla cars... Just think about it:

    - Its got the front hood (area where logo is) of the Roadster
    - The front hood edges of a Model S
    - And the Rear of a Model X

    Notice any other similarities? Please reply to comment. Thanks!
  • Apr 2, 2016
    irvineboy
    Will this tiny trunk fit a baby car stroller?

    Will the back middle seat fit a backwards baby car seat?
  • Apr 2, 2016
    neroden
    As an investor I have to second this opinion. The Model S will avoid the "Osborne effect" partly because the hatchback makes it a definite improvement over Model 3 for a lot of people.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    neroden
    This should be the standard Tesla should aim for. It's a straightfoward test and a lot of people care about it.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    ggnykk
    Model 3 will have fold-down rear seat like the Model S. It has to, otherwise the 7 foot surf board that Elon mentioned in the event won't fit in Model 3.

    I bet some people don't want a lift back, especially in cold climate. Your rear passengers get very cold whenever you lift the back and the cold air rush in.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    CraZ8
    Just wondering if the dimensions of the prototype are set in stone. With the notchback design I could seethe opening improved by knocking about 4 / 5 inches off the rear window by reducing both its length and reducing the radius of the curve on the bottom. Owing to its steep rake this might shorten the vertical distance by a couple inches but allow at least 3 more horizontal inches of opening. A big deal if you are setting down boxes into the trunk or manhandleing a bikes handle bars through the opening.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    SebastianR
    I feel the conversation here has been very US-centry (no worries about that - I know most people are from the US on this board). I feel many Europeans would much prefer a lift gate as this gets us into hatchback territory - a car shape very popular in Europe. I also feel that in Asia most likely an even more classic Sedan type of shape would likely to be a huge success.

    Personally I would really have loved to have a lift gate and I'm hopeful that it will be an option once the car is released. I'm also sceptical about the glas roof: I love the open air feeling of it, but in my typical use case with kids in the back only I don't care for headroom a lot. Then cost of repairs / weight considerations trump the elegance of the glas roof.

    I drive an Audi A4 right now - and here I can fit two racing bikes upright (front wheel taken out) next to each other with ease. I would have loved to being able to do that with the Model 3, too (nope, sadly the Model S is not an option for me since it simply will not fit through our 2 drive-ways - yes, I measured)

    TLDR: I feel the Model 3 would gain a ton of everyday usability if it had a lift gate. I'm in Europe, so a Model S is too wide. I haul stuff and a truck is out of the question.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Mille Pun
    Agree.

    That is mainly because Europe and Asia people usually live in apartment and have only 1 car in each family. So we prefer the car to be all rounded and rooms for luggage is essential.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    pangolina
    That solid piece of glass on the back looks nice, but I'd trade it for a metal roof and a liftgate. Also the head room in the back is not essential for me since this is going to be a car for one person. The good access to the cargo area is more important - second car or Model S is not an option unfortunately.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Oxxyyd
    As a European being used to hatchbacks and kombi cars I am very diapointed with this rather small and unclever boot opening. Especially given the fact that the cars body would lend itself very well for a hatchback opening. The glass roof is nice but it should not be form over function. Being able to put in a bike or other bulky item is worth a lot.
    Furthermore i hope Tesla model 3 will offer some towing and roof rack options.
    Finally i would prefer a driver speedometer etc in front of the stering wheel -current layout with only the 15 inch screen is too much of a compromise.
    Otherwise i think this car is close to being perfect.
    Well done Tesla.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    travwill
    I will likely let go of the reservation as wanted a lift back, especially with dogs, etc.

    I'll keep my Model S and likely upgrade if the S improves.

    Otherwise, there will be compelling competition in time, likely of higher quality even. Not a bad thing as this is part of Teslas mission and why they don't patent.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Oxxyyd
  • Apr 2, 2016
    lolachampcar
    Bob,
    Perfect screen name to go with the post.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Spidy
    Are those options actually for the back? Because sun roof is certainly only a option for the middle glas part and not for the rear.

    I have read a lot of comments like this and just wanted to say that trucks really don't exist in Germany or Europe in general. They are not a thing. Companies usually have some kind of Van. Families usually a station wagon with/or maybe a trailer. SUVs are becoming more popular, but still not to the extent as in the US. So maybe this design will work great in the US, but when you can get a BMW 3-Series station wagon for less then it will be a easy choice for people who want to carry some larger items now and then. The Model S was really great because it also managed to get people to buy it who were looking at 5-Series, E-Class or A6 station wagon.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Seesaw
    The boot is by far the biggest disappointment for me. Would of loved it to be a hatch and made the car close to perfect.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Lerxt
    Translation: boot = trunk.

    This car is nowhere near the final iteration.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Lerxt
    Just in case anyone has forgotten or never saw the MS prototype....

    image.jpeg image.jpeg
  • Apr 2, 2016
    sg021
    It may depend on the stroller. I'm hoping our city mini, which isn't that large, will fit.
    Rear facing in the middle shouldn't be an issue, my wife's current car is an IS 250 and we have a center mounted car seat in there. Based on the reveal the model 3 second row looks more spacious than that.

    Center is a little easier to fit in general because you have open space between the front seats.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Northrop
    Volume is nothing of use without an opening. Still not worse then any other sedan. Hope for a change until production.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Newb
    To those saying a sedan liftback wasn't possible in this segment, Check out BMW 3 series Gran Turismo for instance:
    [?IMG]

    [?IMG]

    Tesla could well offer two or three versions of the Model 3: 2-door, 4-door w glass roof and 5-door (as we say in Europe) with a liftgate. I talked to many people in Germany who reserved the 3 and they have strong hopes for a liftback version of the Model 3.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    ecarfan
    I have reserved a 3 and have no problem with the rear trunk access based on what I've seen so far. I have an S and at this point am planning for the 3 to replace the S.

    I think the 3 rear trunk lid appears to offer adequate access based on how high the rear end of the car is. I don't plan to load huge objects into the rear: it is a midsize sedan, not an SUV or a truck. No one vehicle can be all things to all people. I love the look of the 3 windshield/roof/rear window glass. I don't plan to get the sunroof version.

    I believe that the Model 3 is going to be a huge sales success and outsell every EV ever made by an order of magnitude. The Bolt is going to sell in very small numbers compared to the Model 3 because the Bolt is not attractive and is not supported by a fast DC charging network.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    ModelZ
    +1 for this.

    As someone who is about to get two Huskies, space in the boot is imperative, as sticking two 75+ lbs dogs in the backseat of a Model ? just doesn't sound like a good time.

    However, with that being said...I'll stick to my original plan of keeping my MS around for 3 years and see where the M? and the Model Y are at that time and go from there.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    oalvarez
    I'd prefer a lift gate and not having one might kill the deal for me. Might. I'm equally concerned about the traditional dash / non-dash aspect of the car as well but that's being discussed in another thread.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Gen3Joe
    Exactly. How often do we all carry adults around in the backs of our cars really? I use the practical hatchback and fold down seats in my Honda Fit all the time. With this design choice Tesla has prioritized some imaginary passenger over the owner of the vehicle. Not the right direction to go IMO.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Gen3Joe
    ^^^ This
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Gen3Joe
    Ok Tesla if you are not going to give us a lift back please I beg of you at least provide some nice split seat fold down options. Split seat configurations are a must when you want to haul one person in the back and a lot of extra gear. They are also nice for dog owners.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Shirley
    They all have, but these Versions aren't offered in the US market because you prefer SUV. In Europe traditionally the lift-/hatchbacks were sold instead of SUV-type-cars, but this changes since some years towards CUV/SUV.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    dalalsid
    I'm hoping the final version is lift back but I'm getting regardless. I'm also probably getting a Y, which I expect to be Porsche macan sized
  • Apr 2, 2016
    MiamiNole
    Having recently been to Europe for the first time, I can understand disappointment in the design decision. Hatchbacks are everywhere there. I literally did not see any trucks, and there were only a few SUVs. Thus I can understand why they'd want as much utility as possible in a compact to mid-size car. Plus I've seen a lot of people say that the Model S is too big for streets in Europe. From what I saw I tend to agree. For Tesla to want to be a worldwide company, I'm surprised they've taken this route.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    tpoltron
    I expect aerodynamics dictates the hatchback shape while the glass roof differentiates and it's kept affordable with a trunk.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    BravoSarah
    I don't think it will be that little hole in the back at production. If you look at the unveiling the model shown had a hinge at the top. I'm certain it will be a hatchback.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Knobby
    I'd have preferred a hatchback, but it still has a frunk, right? Sow what's the problem?
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Red Sage
    I believe that there will eventually be multiple configurations of Model ?. That is certainly the case with the BMW 3-Series. The car revealed on March 31, 2016 will simply be one of many that wear the badge. So, a wagon/crossover with Liftback will probably be available by the time Right Hand Drive territories begin to place orders, or receive them. The Model Y will be... something else.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    DrManhattan
    Model 3 is not a prototype. Pre-production version is more accurate.

    as for the trunk... I prefer a bit more design over function. Too many ugly cars on the road. The Model 3 was always going to be a mainstream sedan, not a hatchback at least initially. It was never going to fit your dog or bike in the back. A stroller and some groceries is about it, and I'm fine with that. I don't know why people had other ideas.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    mfontanilla
    Not a deal breaker. The model 3 was always meant to be a comfortable compact sedan for me, not a utility vehicle. If it was a hatchback, then maybe I would reconsider because I already have one.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    SebastianR
    This! I fully get the Model 3 design and the decisions to go with it from a US perspective. I also understand the sentiment that "you should get a truck to haul things" - I lived many years in the US. The problem is really the size of the Model S. My Audi A4 is - literally down to about an inch of space left and right combined as wide as my car can be. That's both for the gate in our summer house as well as at home. In many parking spaces in Europe the Model S simple doesn't fit. And this is not just me: I discussed with e-mobility advocates in Copenhagen who say that they can't use all their charging stations with Tesla but have to alternate a Leaf / Tesla to physically reach into the charging bays.

    Having a small trunk opening as we have seen on the Model 3 is really a huge issue here. I really hope they find a way to get a lift gate into the car somehow...
  • Apr 2, 2016
    igotzzoom
    I hope you're right. I'm also hoping my initial reservation might be transferable to another new model. If this time next year, Tesla announces a liftback or the Model Y, I think I'd be much more inclined to go with one of those. Anyone have any experience with this with the Model S or Model X? BTW, for what it's worth, I tweeted Elon personally about the liftback issue. My guess is I won't hear something for a while, if ever. That's OK. I've waited this long, I'm willing to wait a little longer.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    DrManhattan
    There is nothing in that photo that shows anything about a hatchback.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Sponge Bob
    Yet somehow they provided "Liftback technology" for my current car that I bought NEW for only $8500 base list ($18k inflation adjusted).

    If I had the Model 3, as it is, I would be looking for a company to step up to the plate and provide a custom liftback solution and sheet metal hardtop (hopefully selling the expensive glass top for some $).
  • Apr 2, 2016
    eloder
    Where's the frunk?

    Why is the rear headroom so bad?

    Perfectly good reasons not to have a liftback. Just like folding seats on the X, there are trade-offs--and despite some people swearing by a liftback, there are more people who don't need it.

    Hatchbacks simply aren't popular in the US. The Model Y will almost assuredly be a hatchback (liftback + compact CUV = really hard to make work). Why produce two hatchbacks? Tesla only needs one.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Red Sage
    If it were up to me, Tesla Motors would have about five or six of them within three years. They already have two: Model S and Model X. Others would be Model ? Sedan, Model ? Coupe, Model ? Crossover/Wagon, and maybe a Model Y SUV too.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    BravoSarah
    It is hard to see in the photo, but there is a hinge at the top of the roof line.

    I've uploaded another photo. I've circled the gas tube and put a line over the rod. Also, when you look at the glass, you'll see it's not one piece. There's a separation above the B pillar. It could be nothing, but it could be something. ;)
  • Apr 2, 2016
    doublejj
    When are the Europeans going to learn they need widen their roads to accommodate American cars?..:D
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Fallenone
    +1
  • Apr 2, 2016
    AudubonB
    Lift or not?

    I posted this in another thread a zillion yea....I mean, 12 or so hours ago, but given the proliferation of threads and posts there really is no way to keep up any more.

    At any rate, I absolutely cannot see how Mr Musk could have made the claim that he did - "The Model 3 Can Fit a 7-Foot Surfboard" - unless there is indeed a lift.

    Not nohow not noway.

    Am I somehow wrong?
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Autolycus
    Yes, you're somehow wrong. Back seats drop. Front passenger seat might also drop. Surfboards aren't terribly wide or thick, so they could easily slide straight through the trunk opening laying flat.

    I'd love for a hatchback variant, but the Model 3 is clearly a straight up traditional sedan.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Steve Martin
    I was disappointed with the trunk because I don't think my bike will fit in the trunk.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    AudubonB
    I've got it, I think: you're saying that there is a traditional trunk-style gate, though which something flat like a surfboard can be inserted; it's just not so gaping as is a hatchback?
    Maybe I should have googled "notchback", which is a term I don't know.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Steve Martin
    Agree
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Autolycus
    I've never seen the term "notchback" before this forum either. It's a sedan trunk or "boot", same as an A4 sedan, Corolla, Civic, etc. If the surfboard is laid parallel to the ground, it'll slide into the trunk and across the back seats, if those are folding forward and flat. 7' is 84". An A4 has 35.2" of rear legroom, so that's 35" from the front of the rear seatback to the back of the front seat. Add that, plus a few inches for the depth of the seat, and you're looking at maybe 40". If the trunk is 44" deep, there you go, 7' surfboard.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    P85DEE
    Definitely not a deal breaker for me. It has a frunk, so it's not that important to me.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    shade_tree
    [?IMG]
    8' surfboard inside a Mazda6
    [?IMG]
    8' board inside newer Sentra

    That said, a 7' board is an odd duck, not really a more popular short board or a long board, more like some kind of hybrid
  • Apr 2, 2016
    DrManhattan
    Most short boards are mid 6, to 7 feet. Not really a lot of 7 foot long boards.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Justmurr
    I drive a '14 base stang right now so I can't complain about trunks but I do understand people's angst with this one.
    It can remain just 'as is' for me.
    Elon said there would be some things that evolved... he and Franz will find the right balance... If I had to guess I'd see some things with the nose, the dash and this trunk configuration that could see some minor modifications but I wouldn't expect anything drastic.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    doublejj
    are you guys looking for some kinda electric woody?....
    [?IMG]
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Luke42
    I'm in the pro lift back camp, so much so that this was the main question I wanted answered in the reveal. I jumped the gun and made my reservation as soon as I saw the profile. I still like the car and am looking forward to delivery, but the trunk is definitely a compromise I had to think about making for a sweet EV.

    Why was I expecting a liftback? I've never had much interest in the 3-series or the A4, so those cara don't shape.my expectations -- I'm coming from a Prius. The Prius's liftback is one of the aspects of the Prius which makes it disproportionately useful for its size and fuel burn, because you can fold down th seats and load awkwardly shaped cargo. I figure that Tesla's "from basic principles" approach would come up with th same answer.

    The visual design of the car is growing on me, and it's definitely something special. I'm in! But an optional liftback would make the Prius obsolete in every possible way.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Tennisballer

    Are you kidding you somehow think that 1/4 inch glass insulates against heat as well as a 4 inch barrier with steel and insulation. Have you had a solid roof? Because you can feel the heat coming through putting your hand near the roof you don't feel that in a solid roof.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    Luke42
    The real problem in a cold climate is that snow and ice accumulate on the liftback.

    Passengers are wearing jackets when it's cold enough to matter, and the body adapts to winter as the seasons change. In inrush of cold air isn't a shock to the system the way it is when you spend a few weeks in a warm climate.

    But, yeah, 6" of snow and ice on the liftback is a pain, and you have to clear it where the top hinge of the liftback meets the roof. I'm amazed that I never removed paint or damaged the metal on our Prius over the 12 years we had it.

    The other problem is that snow and ice freeze the sliding doors on my minivan shut.

    But these openings are so useful for my lifestyle that I'll out up with both inconveniences. It's not that hard to sweep snow off, or remove ice.

    P.S. I am concerned about what a coating of ice will do to the flush door handles I saw in the Model 3/videos. If you push the back of the handle in (so that the front of the handle swings out), a sheet of ice will probably make the handle unusable. Also, sometimes it can take a surprising amount of force to yank a frozen shut door open. The door handles I saw on the Model 3 didn't have any obvious provisions for this situation, and there aren't a lot of chances to test this sort of thing in The Bay Area. But I know Tesla hires engineers from Detroit who've lived with winter, and the Model S seems to do fine in winter -- so I'm willing to give Tesla benefit of the doubt for now!
  • Apr 2, 2016
    stopcrazypp
    For the handles, I don't think it is as big a deal. As long as the button is not frozen solid and unlatches the door, then you can just use the edge of the door to open it. That is what all the Tesla personnel were doing anyways (none of them actually used the handle).
  • Apr 2, 2016
    EVnut
    The problem is that you can't cut your larger cargo in pieces to fit some in the back and some in the frunk.
  • Apr 2, 2016
    EVnut
    The certainly don't shy away from the Model S and the Prius and the Volt and the Leaf and the Fit and....
  • Apr 2, 2016
    EVnut
    But we all expected the Model S to have an enormous, practical hatch? When was it announced that the Model 3 would avoid being as practical as possible? I totally missed that.
  • Apr 3, 2016
    Knobby
    Maybe the back seats fold down and there is a pass through. My BMW 3 series sedan does that. That and hard points for a roof rack system. But I wonder how you mount a roof rack on that all glass roof.
  • Apr 3, 2016
    Bimbels
    About headroom for rear passengers - at least initially I think people who rarely had adult passengers in the rear will find they constantly do, since they will always be the ones driving when there is more than one couple. Because everyone wants to ride in your awesome car, you will constantly be giving demo rides.

    I think we've had more rear passengers in the 10 months we've owned our model S than we had in both our lives combined. Seriously.
  • Apr 3, 2016
    BlairC
    My concern is, can I fit a large cooler? Our family of 4 travels for lacrosse tournaments. For this, we need a cooler full of water, sports drinks, snacks etc. Looks like it can fit a gear bag in the frunk. Could I put the cooler there? Does not look like it would fit through that rear opening.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét