Thứ Hai, 30 tháng 1, 2017

V4.1 - can't charge? part 1

  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    Updated to v4.1 today and now car is reporting unable to charge. I unplugged and plugged back in but port turns red again. Anyone else on v4.1 seeing this or do I have a special case?

    EDIT: I seem to have narrowed it, and it's related to the 12V systems in the car and some behavior in v4.1. The car will charge if I buckle the seat belt and leave the door open so that the climate control and entertainment systems continue to run. It seems almost as if the car stops charging when the 12V battery is full (or reaches some other threshold).
  • Dec 22, 2012
    DaveVa
    I was charging during the update - it coninued charging after the update.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    ibcs
    I was able to charge after the 4.1 update. Only difference I see so far is a warning for cold battery to use the Tesla Mobile App to pre-warm the batteries.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    kendallpb
    LOL, a warning to use an app that's not out yet? ;-)
  • Dec 22, 2012
    Vger
    Ah, but maybe it's one more indication that the app is just around the corner! We can hope...
  • Dec 22, 2012
    kitk
    Seems odd that there are features you can only access via the remote app. They should allow you to start the battey prewarm from the main touchscreen as well.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    DrComputer
    I just upgraded to 4.1. Guess I need to go plug it in and see if it charges. I don't see anything in the app about pre-warming the battery.....opps....uh... App? What app?
  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    Well, crap then. My car tries to charge, goes up to 40A, runs for 3 minutes or so, then goes to 9v, 1A and then charge port shows red with "Car Unable to Charge" / "Contact Tesla Service". Guess I'm calling them on Monday. I'll try unplugging / replugging the UMC and rebooting the screens next.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    strider
    Yep. I think Cinergi knows of a way to do a full reboot of the entire car so maybe that will help too.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    DrComputer
    I just went to the garage and tried changing. It seems to work fine on 4.1.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    dsm363
    Do you have a 110V outlet you can try it on with your UMC and the adapter? Sometime charging issues are related to the UMC cable itself. Haven't had any problems charging with v4.1 yet.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    Okay, here are the full details...

    I got in the car this morning, was at a full standard charge, 232 miles range, notice that I had an upgrade. I deferred the upgrade to 2 am. Drove to the store and came back, 186 rated miles left. Plugged the car in and it started charging. I told it to "upgrade now" and it started the process of upgrading. I came back to the car later to find a blue charge port. After confirming the upgrade (release notes were shown). I unplugged and re-inserted the plug. The car started charging, ramped up to 40A.

    I came back to the car 15 minutes later and the port was red. I tried unpluggiing and re-inserting, it did the same (started charging, then cancelled). I drove the car another 20 miles to the bowling alley and back, and then plugged in and it did the same thing again.

    I unplugged the UMC from the power outlet and the car, allowed it to settle, then plugged it back in, same thing.
    I rebooted both screens then plugged in the UMC again, same thing.

    Cinergi's "reboot the whole car" is a known procedure to me. No dice.

    At this point, I'm out of ideas. I will try a 120V charge to see what happens.
    EDIT: I put the house on generator backup to ensure it wasn't a utility problem. 120V charging doesn't work either, goes green for 3 seconds then immediately to red.

    It can see the voltage, it can ramp up the charge, so I don't think it's the UMC -- I hear the contactor in it clicking...
  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    282887_4554582235866_48706187_n.jpg
  • Dec 22, 2012
    William3
    I can't charge either, but it's because my chargeport door is stuck closed and won't open.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    Tommy
    Just trying to be helpful.... Do you have the FOB in hand or near the car; I don't think the port door will open without that condition present. Apologies if you have tried this already.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    ChadS
    Do you hear the thunks when you try to open it? Another person or two were able to pry it open after the thunks, which indicate the magnet has released the door.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    dtich
    yep, was gonna say, may just be extra sticky, or low-tension spring.. after clicking the button on umc or pressing open port, if you hear the unlock click, try just to pry it open w your fingertip.. may actually just work. if it does, do it a few times, might unstick whatever is stuck..... not to get too technical. :)
  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    I think I figured it out, and it's likely related to 12V systems in the car and behavior changed in v4.1. A few more minutes and I'll edit this post with my findings...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ok... if I buckle the driver's seat belt and leave the door open so that the radio, climate control, etc. remain on, the car keeps charging. A few minutes after I turn off this load and close the doors, the charging stops...
  • Dec 22, 2012
    Longhorn92
    v4.1 sure does sound interesting.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    Liz G
    That sounds like a terrible work around. I hope they get that bug fixed quickly. Though at least I now know how to keep the radio on for parties in the park.

    GL, fingers crossed for you.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    I've been informed that corporate knows of the problem I'm experiencing and is working on the fix.

    There are no release notes for v4.1 other than "this is a maintenance release, here are the release notes for v4.0:"
  • Dec 22, 2012
    jerry33
    The red colour with it's three month delivery wait is looking better and better (and I really didn't want a red car).
  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    It should be noted that this trick only works for about half an hour or so. Eventually the car's systems shut off, then the charging stops. I've just restarted it again (at 8:54 CT) and will try and time it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Some of the bugs will be ironed out, but I'm sure you'll get to experience your own, too... my car charged just fine until this update today. :)
  • Dec 22, 2012
    MikeK
    I think we can see why they don't roll out updates all at once... Even with beta testers etc., its still possible for a serious bug to slip through. Even aircraft, which have crazy software certification requirements, occasionally have software bugs discovered in the field. Good luck on a quick fix!
  • Dec 22, 2012
    efusco
    Wow, makes me feel anxious just reading about this. I would be pretty upset...though I suspect I would be trying everything I could think of to fix it as you are. Hope they fix this bug quickly.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    jomo25
    I guess that's the thing with firmware updates. If a serious bug gets through, it could affect alot of cars in a short period of time. I know if my family depended on the S (and it would when we got ours), I'd be reluctant to upgrade to the new firmware until a good number of people have already done so and there's evidence it's free of serious bugs. I might willing to be an early adopter on my iPhone firmware, but not so on a car.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    aviators99
    Now that I am reading this, I'm wishing I hadn't started the update 5 minutes ago :-O
  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    Yup. Half an hour. Charging stopped... *trods out to the garage to close and open the door again*
  • Dec 22, 2012
    ckessel
    What do you have for "power the car off" mode? As I recall, wasn't that 30 minutes if you let it go completely to sleep?
  • Dec 22, 2012
    NigelM
    No problems here. One comment though: don't wait to call Tesla Service, there's many a story where they've gone into action on weekends and late at night. Most of them seem to be working Saturdays and you'll generally get a response on Sundays also.

    Edit: and I guess you did speak to them today....

  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    I have sleep turned off because of my GPS problem (my antenna is temporarily behind the dash instead of beneath the rear glass, until they can get my car to Chicago). As a result it takes much much longer to get a nav fix from sleep mode.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I gave the local service manager a call after I dropped him, the territory service manager, and Chicago's service manager an e-mail. I figured they'd want to know sooner rather than later if this was update-related, so they could stop all the updates that might cause problems.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    NigelM
    My guess is that it'll be a 12v or, more likely, a charger problem that's coincidental to, or shown up by, the firmware update. Whatever it is, lets hope they find you a quick solution.

    Do you have v4.1(1.19.27) or v4.1(1.19.29)?
  • Dec 22, 2012
    Qualchan
    I hope you get this resolved. FW roll-back?

    I've been quietly lurking on this and the official Tesla Motors Forum for quite some time and finally let the passive passionate addiction to this car, the company and its CEO's vision push me into joining today.

    Since all of you are Model S "beta testers," ( many technically savvy, committed and game for the glitches inherent in a new, complex car such as this) it would seem a good idea if Tesla's engineers would select a number of you to roll out each firmware iteration to, give you a corporate email address to report your findings - or a restricted site - and minimize the fallout of these teething pains.

    Some new owners pop up on this site and more often on the official Tesla forums who are caught unawares by the sw/fw revisions, as well as the new paradigm of owning a totally electric vehicle. Some just want to drive a glitch-free car and don't have the time or interest to attend these forums to learn all the ins and outs of cold-limited regen and power, buzzing ambient lights and low washer and tire sensor anomalies.

    A more robust Owners' Manual would be great (which I'm sure is coming) as well as more detailed FW release notes mailed to each upgrade recipient, but limiting the roll outs to those who breathe for documenting and troubleshooting, who eat this stuff for breakfast, have both patience and curiosity and who have a benign, personal stake in Tesla's prosperity would have to be better than the seemingly random roll out that's going on now. We all know who you are. I think one started this thread.

    It's still early and Tesla's doing their year-end production hyper-rush, gettin the care to you owners. As others have mentioned, the general public brought in by the COTY and unanimous praise will not be as forgiving. With staged/limited software roll outs the company can establish a solid, reliable feature progression and avoid eroding the goodwill of future owners and the grace of present ones.

    I salute all you trailblazers!
  • Dec 22, 2012
    cinergi
    Wow. Crap, maybe this will be the thing that will sway me to NOT take a trip from Boston to Charlotte (partially using the new SC network here). I'll be getting home tonight in need of a good charge -- we'll see how that goes.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    Qualchan
    Just for clarity, FlasherZ is one who's contributed a wealth of technical knowledge on these forums. Here's a candidate.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    1.19.29 is what currently shows.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Well thank you. As a lifelong IT guy, I try to help them as much as I can because I can be that (at least, I think) intelligent customer who can help troubleshoot based on what I'm seeing. I do have e-mail addresses of a number of Tesla folks internally, but try not to use them unless I have to.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    Todd Burch
    Cinergi,

    I don't know if your route goes near Smithfield, VA--but if so you're welcome to use the NEMA 14-50 in my garage. PM me if interested.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    donauker
    Updated to 4.1 today. Charging without a problem so far this evening.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    Qualchan
    - - - Updated - - -



    Well thank you. As a lifelong IT guy, I try to help them as much as I can because I can be that (at least, I think) intelligent customer who can help troubleshoot based on what I'm seeing. I do have e-mail addresses of a number of Tesla folks internally, but try not to use them unless I have to.[/QUOTE]


    You're welcome. Hope it gets resolved soon.

    Yours might be a one-off as no others have reported a similar problem. It would be great if all the other minor 4.0 bugs got squared away with V4.1.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    Francis Lau
    @FlasherZ, in light of your issue and your help with my question in the other thread, I guess I should stop worry why I am charging at 20 miles per hour and not 31 miles per hour :)

    I hope your issue is resolved soon.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    FlasherZ
    It may mean I have a 12v replacement needed, or maybe my car is the only one working properly on the 12v system *shrug*... I'll let Tesla figure it out then inform me.
  • Dec 22, 2012
    cinergi
    Been charging on 4.1 for ~45 minutes on the MC at 243/40 no problems ... if my charge does NOT complete, I'll report it. Otherwise assume it completed fine.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    ShortArc
    I am charging at 230V/40A but it only indicates 10 miles/hour? Very strange indeed.

    .... Update ....

    After about 15 mins the correct charge rate was indicated. This never happened before.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    Vger
    Ok, folks. Here is another input, perhap related, perhaps not. We are in the midst of our first road trip in our new sig perf, picked-up in Vancouver Thursday am. We are half way on our outbound 450 mile leg.

    Last night the car reported the available 4.1 update, but having seen this thread. I deferred it. So we are still running 4.0, but the update module has at least "seen" 4.1. After this, I charged for ten hours on a Blink charger overnight.

    About 20 miles before our last intended outbound charge stop, we got a cascade of three warning alerts. The first said "Car needs service: May not restart", then a few minutes later, we got "Car needs service: Pull over safely now", then shortly after, the same message FlasherZ reported: " Car needs Service: Unable to charge".

    We called Tesla Service right away, while still driving, and got "Andrew". He said they would pull the logs remotely while we drove, and asked if the car was behaving differently at all. I said no, and he indicated we could continue the few miles to the planned charge stop. He conferred with others briefly, and then said he would call back. He has not yet.

    We parked the car at the charge location, and I tried to see if it would charge on a Roadster HPC (with a borrowed cable [thanks ChadS]). It showed a red port, on did nothing-- no further messages. Shortly after, my wife reported both screens went black, and could not be awakened. I unplugged, and got in. I tried rebooting the screens, unlocking the car, fastening the seatbelt, getting up and then sitting down again-- nothing! The 12V power seems still intact. The doors still open and close, handles and windows work, and I inadvertently triggered the alarm. But the car is otherwise deader than a door nail. Yikes!

    I will try to contact Tesla again ASAP of course, but if someone could PM me the full reboot instruction, that might help at least get the car talking to them again.

    Patience and calm, patience and calm. That is what I am working on here! :crying:
  • Dec 23, 2012
    Doug_G
    Yikes! Very sorry to hear that Vger. Hope they can sort it out remotely...
  • Dec 23, 2012
    jomo25
    Vger, sorry to hear about the bad situation.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    stopcrazypp
    Ouch! This sounds like the same "reboot" situation that the Karma had. Given the Roadster didn't have these issues, it's kind of worrying. Tesla needs to get on top of this quick!

    According to here
    http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/center-display-frozen-reset-options
  • Dec 23, 2012
    Larry Chanin
    A few hours ago I upgraded to version 4.1 (1.19.29). The car was connected and charging at the time. Everything appears to have completed uneventfully so far, both the software upgrade and the charging completed fine.

    I haven't driven the car yet so I'll report back if there is anything to report. I have disconnected and reconnected the charging cables and the car is topping off without issue. Of course it only had a few miles of range to add so a longer charging period will be needed for a definitive answer regarding successful charging.

    Larry
  • Dec 23, 2012
    Vger
    Update on S02001: Tesla is scrambling all resources to rescue us. They cannot determine that it is anything simple, and want the car back. They have dispatched a qualified and trained flatbed all the way from Seattle to us in Ellensburg. They hope to have the car picked up and back in Seattle by late tonight. But. It is snowing steadily now, and we may get 10 cm, perhaps more on Snoqualmie. I am quite worried about the safety of the car and the driver.

    When I went back to the car to recover our luggage so we could get to our hastily rearranged lodging, when I unlocked the car, it rebooted the displays (from the deep sleep state). It then threw a new warning "Car needs service: 12V battery power low" hmmm, could this be the root cause? Or is this a bug with the sleep feature introduced in 4.0? In any case, this seems to be what is happening to the displays, they are being told to shut down to preserve power before the normal sleep delay (30 mins?).

    I repeated this whole cycle again-- unlock, screens cold boot, low 12V power warnings, displays shut down one after another.

    So there does seem to be some overlap between my symptoms and FlasherZ's. Both encompass 12V power management and its sleep function, and the cascade of problems that come from that, including inability to charge.

    Tesla hopes to have answers to all this unfortunate mystery by tomorrow. I will let you all know.

    I would emphasize that everyone at Tesla is being really kind and caring to my wife and I. They are doing everything possible to rescue our Christmas trip. I am choosing not to get mad. I am deeply disappointed of course, mostly because my confidence in the reliability of Model S is now inevitably shaken. Nothing like this has ever happened to me in our Roadster. I continue to hope for a quick resolution that results in a systemic quality improvement for everyone's benefit. I just hope this is as bad as it gets for anyone in these early giddy days.

    It is also worth noting that the car did "fail" gracefully. We never felt in danger or compromised, and the driving dynamics were intact, right to the point we were able to choose to stop.

    onward...
  • Dec 23, 2012
    Norbert


    I don't think [these] pre-announcements of drama and doomsday predictions are helpful at all. Let's stay focused on the issues themselves.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    ckessel
    I've deleted my posts, apologies for voicing unsubstantiated concerns.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    Zythryn
    Charged three times since updating to 4.1.
    No charging issues. Each charge on a NEMA 14-50 although different Amps (8, 20 & 40)
  • Dec 23, 2012
    aviators99
    Also charged successfully last night after 4.1 update, and drove 180 miles today. About to finish charging full again. No issues, thankfully. Feel terrible for you guys having issues. I can't imagine what it would be like--especially for FlasherZ, who is certainly the battery expert of this forum! I have learned a lot from him.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    dennis
    Having owned a Fisker Karma for 11 months and 8000 miles, I will second that. For some reason the press is very scared of EV's and never sets context. e.g. the 187,000 ICE car fires that occurred in 2011.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    Todd Burch
    FlasherZ/Vger, sorry to hear about your issues. Although it's unfortunate to be experiencing these issues, it seems like all of the drivetrain issues we've seen with the Model S have been 12V battery-related...and hopefully there will be a clear software fix soon. I have to admit though, given Elon's emphasis on initial quality, these issues are really shaking my confidence. It's reinforcing my belief that the Model S was put to market 6 months to a year too early.

    Regardless, I don't think Tesla had a choice. Positive cash flow was necessary. We unfortunately just have to put up with this for a short time until Tesla gets the software kinks worked out.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    FlasherZ
    I'm rolling with it -- I'm an early adopter, finding the bugs to make it a better world for everyone else.

    I drove the car 35 miles today, a 25 mile trip to family Christmas, after which the car recharged just fine; then I took a 10 minute trip and plugged in, it topped off okay as well tonight and is sitting with a full standard charge. Tomorrow morning it'll get a bit more of a work-out, we'll see if it returns but it seems like I may have experienced something strange related to 12v battery management by upgrading on a half-charge (I started the upgrade with 185 miles remaining yesterday).

    Either way, I have a workaround -- just need to keep a load on the 12v battery and the car will charge.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Very honestly, I'm not worried and my confidence isn't shaken. I expected the founders' units to generate a few things that needed to be fixed, I also expected that wider sig deployments would find a few things. If there was one area I was worried about, it's the cool/cold weather experience. Even if the cars require a retrofit of a new 12v battery system, it won't change my mind about the car. It's the only game changer out there.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    jomo25
    Deleted one and edited another post to make people feel better. But ignoring the real world gravity of such issues = not helpful either.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    Zextraterrestrial
    Sounds good. I'm doing my firmware currently to 4.1 and my car is @ around 250 mi ideal.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    NigelM
    No-one's ignoring it. As a Model S owner I'm interested for myself and concerned for those two owners with the issue. That said, it's two cars, neither of them bricked, and we don't know what the problem is yet. Let's hope it gets resolved quickly and we can all rest assured again.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    William3
    Yep, the FOB is in my pocket. I can hear the clunk, but the door doesn't open. It was also doing this when the car was delivered. The DS had to pry the door open and just shrugged it off saying that lots of the cars do this when new and after opening/closing a few times it will start working fine. Guess what? Not getting better.
  • Dec 23, 2012
    stopcrazypp
    If it's any consolation, your lost trip will help Tesla the diagnose the problem and hopefully prevent it in all Model Ss in the future.

    I guess the whole battery sleep thing is more complicated than it appears. The Roadster didn't have a similar system (although that did cause the whole bricking controversy).
  • Dec 23, 2012
    Timothy
    My son upgraded to 4.1 yesterday. My son in law drove the car to Santa Barbar last night. 5 charges so far without problems (whew!) 2 on NEMA 14-50 plugs, 2 on HPC 70 amp with J1772 at Rabobanks on highway 101, and one at the SuperCharger in Gilroy.
  • Dec 24, 2012
    Laurent
    I drove from the Bay Area to L.A. yesterday and had trouble charging at Harris Ranch and Tejon Ranch. Charging would stop after 5 or 10 minutes and I would have to unplug, close the charge port, open the charge port, and plug in again. That only worked some of the time. Charging at Tesla in Hawthorne worked fine. I have 4.0.
  • Dec 24, 2012
    Vger
    Yes, that is exactly my hope and attitude, and the only reason I posted about this. I am ONLY interested in helping to improve the product for everyone's benefit.

    The car was heroically flatbed towed back to Seattle last night through blinding snow on Snoqualmie Pass by Crossroads Towing, who are explicitly trained by Tesla. The young guy (did not get his name) was fantastic. We could not get the car to raise the air suspension or release the e-brake, so the car had to be dragged up onto the truck on skids. He did it carefully and expertly. The car is now at Seattle Service and being worked on. They told me it is slow going, because the car keeps wanting to go back to sleep, and stops talking to their diagnostic laptop. They are trying their best to get the car healthy and back to us by the end of the week. I had to tell them NOT to ruin their own Christmases on our account!

    We made it to my wife's parents, so at least our Christmas is intact.

    I am genuinely delighted that there are more "OK here" posts on this thread than shared problems. I hope our car just had a simple assembly defect, perhaps a loose connector, and that there may be no design weakness here.

    Stay tuned.
  • Dec 24, 2012
    dsm363
    Vger: You are obviously a very nice and understanding person and am glad you are able to make the best of this situation. Glad you and your family made it safely for Christmas too. It can't be easy to see your new car towed away. Hope they fix it soon and you can drive it back home.
  • Dec 24, 2012
    bonnie
    vger, I applaud your ability to keep things in perspective & have no doubt your Model S will be back with you by week's end. Merry Christmas to you and your family!
  • Dec 24, 2012
    Doug_G
    I can only imagine how I would have felt in the same situation. Way to keep your cool. :cool:
  • Dec 24, 2012
    Vger
    Thanks, Dsm, Bonnie, Doug. Infinite peace is the point of this season, so that is where my attention is. :smile:
  • Dec 24, 2012
    FlasherZ
    An update on my situation: this afternoon I received a notice that an upgrade was available, and I was upgraded to 1.19.31. It was not a "stealth" upgrade like some have reported (.27 to .29, etc.)
  • Dec 24, 2012
    Francis Lau
    Did that fix your issue? Or are you still having to make sure the 12V battery is being used while charging?
  • Dec 24, 2012
    Zextraterrestrial
    I'm a little confused by your use of 'stealth' . I was upgraded to .31 in the 'standard' fashion and have not heard of this 'stealth' you speak of. Sounds fun though ;>
    Like creeping up on bicyclists until they realize they are being followed!
  • Dec 24, 2012
    brianman
    v1.15.14 was an unprompted update. I presume that's what's meant by 'stealth' in this context.
  • Dec 25, 2012
    Zas
    Vger: Your a class act, a true Canadian :) ... Tesla should compensate you thoroughly for this somehow, as the car put you in a bad situation...lets hope they fix the car, and pay your kindness back with some kindness of their own.
  • Dec 25, 2012
    FlasherZ
    I haven't had the issue re-occur. That said, I haven't driven much during the past couple of days -- I need my rear seats to haul the 6 of us to family functions. :)
  • Dec 25, 2012
    Liz G
    Well hopefully the upgrade fixed it for good. This whole charging issue has had my husband wiigging out a bit about the S's reliability for long trips. I, however, have faith in Tesla working out any bugs quickly. With, hopefully, minimal impact to early adopters.

    With any luck situations like vger's will be a rarity.
  • Dec 25, 2012
    4sevens.com
    Everyone - just a practical thought - don't do an update away from home, during a trip, or if you're planning on a trip in the near future. If it ain't broken don't fix it.
  • Dec 26, 2012
    mknox
    Good advice! I don't even run software updates on my laptop when I'm on the road for the same reasons.
  • Dec 26, 2012
    FlasherZ
    I received word today that the 1.17.31 update was indeed intended to address the very problem that I experienced. This morning I took the car down to 120 rated miles or so and it is now charging happily in the garage without the need to play the radio. :)
  • Dec 26, 2012
    bonnie
    Excellent news!
  • Dec 26, 2012
    drrreza
    Hi Guys I am new to this forum but had almost similar experience to Vger after having my car for 2 weeks and various warnings that many of us experienced, on my way from work to home in middle of highway the car shut off and I had to leave it at the side of the road till next day. To make the story short and less tragic Tesla tow it next day and after diagnostics I was told the problem was with the main battery and has to be replaced I think it may take about 2 weeks to get it done. I am going to buy another spare car for these situations as I think model s will have many bugs to be figure it out in next few months or years
  • Dec 26, 2012
    Zas
    Wow..I feel for you...can you provide some more details of what exactly happened ?...your car just shut down without warning ? Could you steer it ? Did it go into park ? What's your vin ? ...sorry for all the questions, but this is kinda scary.
  • Dec 26, 2012
    EcoHeliGuy
    What's your vin? And firmware status?
  • Dec 27, 2012
    drrreza
    My car is signature performance I was driving at 60 or 70 mph first a warning came on, engine off pull over for safety then car went like neutral position and I could steer it then I went to the shoulder of the road and it stopped. The screens went black but I could get out of the car and come back to sit in it. I called Tesla road side assistance but was waste of time they hold me for 45 minutes on the phone and then another 45 minutes later sent a local towing company that had no clue what to do with car. Their tow roadside assistance (I think subcontractor in TX) to my experience is waste of time if you have AAA they are much better. Anyway I called my AAA and they could not start the car neither with their 12 volt battery to move the car to flat bed. I abandoned the car at roadside after 3-4 hours and Tesla sent somebody to retrieve the car next afternoon. It was very stressful night and day.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The software or firmware was factory default version 4.0 there was no update for 4.1 or other minor upgrade at that time In any case my experience with computers is if everything is working DO NOT upgrade immediately let their software engineers figure outs all the bugs they have or may create more with changing codes
  • Dec 27, 2012
    dsm363
    Sorry your car did this. Did you have the tow instruction card they were supposed to send out with instructions on how to pull the car onto a flatbed?
  • Dec 28, 2012
    Vger
    Since I am American born but firmly and permanently an immigrant of Canada, this comes to me as the highest compliment. :biggrin: I am truly delighted by the civility and humility of Canadian culture. Americans could learn a lot from Canadians, if they paused for a few minutes from patting themselves on their "exceptional" backsides.

    Back to regularly scheduled programming...

    Well, I am truly sorry for those who are still struggling with new or continuing issues with their new Model S cars. That said, I am delighted to report that our "Ruby" has returned to full health and is safely at home gulping electrons after her harrowing and interrupted first road trip.

    I cannot say enough about the professionalism, kindness, persistence and efficiency of the Seattle Service Team, newly led by James Maddux, my latest Tesla hero, and founded and overseen by Carl Medlock, my first Tesla hero.

    Unlike FlasherZ and various others, S02001 "Ruby" had an actual manufacturing defect, a hardware gremlin. A tiny component of the primary onboard charger module failed "open" and triggered a cascade of safety protection modes in our car. Kudos to "Pete", an engineer on the charger design team, who piped into the furious email traffic flying back and forth between Seattle and Fremont, and around Fremont, on Christmas eve and on Boxing Day, and correctly fingered the offending part. James and his team were able to cannibalize the corresponding part from their designated testing and training car in Seattle, and have us back on the road within hours of the definitive diagnosis.

    I have a simple and very inexpensive suggestion to Tesla for how to avoid this single-point failure by such a trivial component, and I intend to send it to them shortly.

    In the end, Maggie and I focused on our family, Christmas, our (now more dear) friends in the Seattle area, including ChadS of this forum and his warm and welcoming family. We focused on building an effective relationship with more of Tesla's great people, and being patient with our still maturing new baby. The trip home in our repaired Model S was sweeter and more enjoyable than ever, knowing and appreciating even more deeply what a marvel of creativity and graceful invention it is, even in its lingering imperfection.

    Keep the faith people. It is about us as an improving species; it is not about the tech.
  • Dec 28, 2012
    markwj
    Nice :)
  • Dec 28, 2012
    dsm363
    Great news. Glad it all worked out ok.
  • Dec 28, 2012
    NigelM
    Excellent Vger.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét