Thứ Hai, 30 tháng 1, 2017

Anyone else get this gift certificate for jeans from Tesla? part 1

  • Aug 29, 2013
    MikeC
    Got this in the mail from Tesla today and was wondering why I got it. Kind of ironic that the tag line is "Experience the denim equivalent of a V12 engine" - as a Model S owner, I take that to mean they are claiming their jeans are loud and smelly, powered by outdated technology that is soon to be obsolete.

    IMG_5885.jpg

    IMG_5886.jpg
  • Aug 29, 2013
    yobigd20
    I don't know about the gift card, but if she comes with the jeans then you got yourself a hell of a good deal.

    jeans.png
  • Aug 29, 2013
    Sparky
    I got one today as well.
    It looks like you have to spend $250 to redeem the $100. And, yeah, the V12 tag line is a bit anachronistic for a Tesla promo.
    But I checked out the website prices and almost spit my IPA. I guess recoiling at spending on $198 for 1 pair of already worn out jeans makes me an anachronism.
  • Aug 29, 2013
    texex91
    Between this and the other spam stuff I've seen that Tesla owners receive, it really ticks me off.

    TESLA--NO ONE WANTS YOU TO SELL OUR INFORMATION. GOT IT!

    I dont' want my info sold to ANYONE--period. If they do, then I won't buy as they need to respect my privacy.
  • Aug 29, 2013
    Sparky
    I understand your complaint. However, for the record, in my 4 mos of ownership, I haven't received anything spam-ish that I could attribute to Tesla.
    This card came in a Tesla "Thank You Card" sized envelope with Tesla's return address on it.
    So I don't think the 7 Luxe Jeans marketeers have learned the location of my sock drawer.
    I saw the envelope, ripped it open assuming it was my Hyperloop boarding pass, and was quickly deflated to learn it was some rag swag.
    But, nice of Tesla to think of me.
  • Aug 29, 2013
    SCW-Greg
    Deal breaker.
  • Aug 29, 2013
    MikeC
    This was the only thing I've ever received from Tesla or related 3rd party. Agree that even with 100 bucks off, the jeans are still overpriced. But I'm not complaining because I have friends who do spend that kind of money on jeans and that makes it worth $100, if I give it to them.
  • Aug 29, 2013
    brianstorms
    The V12 engine thing is rather hilarious. What a gaffe. Clearly Tesla isn't the only marketing partner. But geez. On twitter this would be called #fail
  • Aug 29, 2013
    HansK
    I got one, too. I, too, was excited until I opened it and saw "demin equivalent of a V12 engine." And, I also immediately thought, smelly, high maintenance, 4X too expensive. What a strange promo to give to Tesla owners. Someone needs to go back and review Marketing 101.
  • Aug 29, 2013
    dsm363
    I have never received any ads of this kind from owning a Tesla in almost 3 years so they must be getting names from someone else other than Tesla. Did everyone who got this finance their car?
  • Aug 29, 2013
    johnnyS
    I came home today and saw a small envelope from Tesla. It looked like it might be an invitation. I eagerly opened it up and found the gift card enclosed. Disappointed, then I was confused by the V-12 line. My next reaction upon scanning the card was at least I have a $100 gift card. Maybe it is for some special Tesla apparel--how thoughtful of Tesla. Maybe Tesla knows my birthday is coming. Then I read the fine print--if I spend $250 on jeans I get $100 off. That reminds me of how my wife used to come home from shopping and tell me how she "made" $100. My reaction was always what did it cost me for you to "make" $100.

    So I went to the website to see how many pairs of Levis I can get for $250, maybe it will be worth it--I can clothe my whole family. I quickly learned that I could get 1.5 pairs of already worn out jeans. I usually like to start with new jeans, not worn out jeans. Since I am old enough to be able to afford a model S, I am at an age where "relaxed fit" applies. Those worn out jeans don't look like relaxed fit.

    Why did Tesla send this? The return address is Tesla headquarters. I should have marked the envelope "return to sender."
  • Aug 29, 2013
    dsm363
    Maybe Tesla is behind it then. Very odd promotion.
  • Aug 29, 2013
    HansK
    If you mean Tesla's financing, no.
  • Aug 29, 2013
    Discoducky
    No way this is from TM marketing. V12 line is a giveaway. I'd go with financing like dsm363 suggested as I didn't get one.

    But, whomever gets one, could you let us know if you are:

    1. Signature?
    2. USA region?
    3. Financing through TM/Wells Fargo?

    So we can narrow down this 3rd party'ing of PII
  • Aug 29, 2013
    MikeC
    Alliant.
  • Aug 29, 2013
    brianman
    "Shop women" is an interesting choice of words. Does it take you to a Russian web site?

    - - - Updated - - -

    I think he meant other financing.

    I wouldn't be surprised if one or more automotive financing outfits was approached to do this sort of advertising where the car brand is just a field in the automatically filled form.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Can one (or more!) of you post a picture of the envelope?
  • Aug 29, 2013
    v12 to 12v
    I'll try to not take that personally.
  • Aug 30, 2013
    Sparky
    TeslaGift2.jpg
  • Aug 30, 2013
    vfx
    I think what the marketing people were trying to do with the V12 comment was highlight the word "equivalent" that is, your Tesla motor is a V12 equivalent, just as our pants are....
  • Aug 30, 2013
    birdsaresmarter
    1. not signature
    2. So CA
    3. paid cash
  • Aug 30, 2013
    Andrew
    Got one as well. Completely agree with sparky's comments, so I'll just add: oy vey!

    1. not signature
    2. southern california
    3. financed with PenFed

    Also interesting that the cancellation stamp shows it was mailed from Los Angeles, not Palo Alto...
  • Aug 30, 2013
    Cosmacelf
    I smell a rat. Could one of you folks send an email to Tesla asking if they are behind this? I strongly suspect the answer is no. Tesla would not be spending their time and money on stuff like this.
  • Aug 30, 2013
    gregincal
    I noticed that the postmark seemed to be LA, and most of the people posting seem to be southern cal. Has anybody outside Southern California received one? I also think this smells fishy.
  • Aug 30, 2013
    birdsaresmarter
    I sent email this morning to ownership team, apologizing for bad manners complaining about getting a "gift" but explained why it was actually a bit offensive to receive it. No reply yet. Who knows how long it would take to filter through email or at this point perhaps doubtful they knew what I was talking about.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also... wondered about list sold from purchasing gear/merch either from TM or 3rd party (ie: keyfob holder, etc) but anything we have purchased so far was done by my husband and this came addressed ONLY to ME as if it was harvested from the primary owner list, not 2nd owner listed and not merch purch (?)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ok, I have another question. The person who posted the pic of the envelope as addressed to "Sparky?" Ummm...sorry to ask and no offense intended at all, but wondered is that the real name under which you purchased your car? Or maybe we are just seeing part of a business d/b/a there? If not, why woud TM corporate know you as Sparky ? Just wondering.
  • Aug 30, 2013
    brianman
    My guess is that "Sparky" is his forum login at teslamotors.com (to match his teslamotorsclub.com login).
  • Aug 30, 2013
    birdsaresmarter
    p.s. Yes, I have considered that you may have altered the image to put Sparky in place of your real name vs simply blanking it out along with the address, but I am definitely curious to know the situation there. Sorry I just feel like this is something that is more damaging to Tesla brand than a benefit so it basically ticked me off to think they were caving in to this "stuff". I guess if they are making a ton of money off it and it means the difference between success or failure I'll accept it and just keep tossing it into the bin. First of any spam I can recall getting though.
  • Aug 30, 2013
    MikeC
    I'm also in SoCal - that seems to be the link here. Again, even though I have no interest in these jeans, this doesn't bother me at all. I am happy to keep receiving gift certificates until they send me one for something I want. My envelope is below, but let me just say I am starting to think it might be time for me to worry about my Tesla obsession when I am pulling envelopes out of the trash to post them on the internet.

    IMG_5896.JPG
  • Aug 30, 2013
    brianman
    Anybody have a bar code reader for the bottom part?
  • Aug 30, 2013
    texex91
    Bottom says "Courtesy Gift from Tesla"--if they don't endorse this garbage, then they need to stop them. This selling of names and addresses is not good in my book. My info is private--period.
  • Aug 30, 2013
    MikeC
    It came directly from Tesla, so they didn't sell my name or address to a 3rd party.
  • Aug 30, 2013
    markb1
    MikeC should definitely blur that out if he doesn't want the internet to know his mailing address.
  • Aug 31, 2013
    birdsaresmarter
    Hey everybody - TM responded that they were not aware of any such denim promotion and asked for more info so they could look into it - taking it quite seriously. MikeC is not the only one going dumpster diving for Tesla obsession it seems.
  • Aug 31, 2013
    Sparky
    Hmmm. Sometimes paranoia is the correct response (where's my tinfoil?)
    To answer your earlier question, my envelope wasn't addressed to "Sparky". It's just a quick bit of cut and paste from the image. But it might be interesting to note the name on the envelope was the exact format for my email address tied to this forum and the My Tesla acct. All lower case without spaces between first and last. So, it def seems like computer job.
    I suspect a couple of those robots on the assembly line. When I was on the tour I saw how they collaborated for some assembly tasks. Most were very diligent and stayed busy but two of them looked kind of suspicious and seemed to be plotting something.
  • Aug 31, 2013
    ToddRLockwood
    ...high-revving, low reciprocating mass?
  • Aug 31, 2013
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Haha! That's a good one!

    Looks like there may have been some insider who mistakenly/wantonly sold the addresses?

    Worst-case, a security breach?

    Definitely SoCal only. Nothing up here.
  • Aug 31, 2013
    Owner
    Just got it in the mail (Northern California). What info does TMC want? I can easily email them more information (have no idea what that would be?) or even just mail them the original envelope (heck drop it off in their lobby as I am close to HQ...) :eek:
    I don't know exactly when it arrived in snail mail, as I typically check that only once a week.

    Post marked from San Francisco, suspicious.


    Has to be some kind of Tesla list somewhere. I am on every known do not call do not mail list out there.
    - - - Updated - - -

    nope, up here in Northern California

  • Aug 31, 2013
    birdsaresmarter
    They basically asked for a picture of envelope and materials, which I sent, and indicated more sample images were available here. They clearly don't want third parties doing this without permission of TM or TM customers. I quickly re-read the privacy policy and this does seem incompatible with what they would do by default. Portion of said policy here:

    Information Use


    • Tesla does not share, sell, or rent Personal Data to unaffiliated third parties for their own use (i.e., for purposes unrelated to products and services of Tesla and its affiliates) without your consent, except for Legal Disclosures as described in the Privacy Statement.
    • Tesla uses information to provide services to our customers, to comply with legal requirements, to complete sales, to monitor and improve our website, services, vehicles and other products, for internal business purposes, and for other purposes as disclosed to you.

    Disclosure


    • We share information with subsidiaries, affiliates, and other entities controlled by Tesla.
    • We occasionally provide information to other companies who work on our behalf to help provide our services.
    • We may disclose information as required by law.
    • We may transfer information between the United States and other countries, and maintain and process information in any country in which Tesla operates.
  • Aug 31, 2013
    SFOTurtle
    I'm in NorCal and received this in the mail today.
  • Aug 31, 2013
    ken830
    I just got one too. Northern California. Postmarked from San Francisco. Return address is Tesla HQ (Palo Alto). I thought it was a birthday present. Coincidence, I guess.
  • Aug 31, 2013
    PureAmps
    I received one today as well. I was thinking it was legit from Tesla (I had just taken my car in for service), until I saw the spend $250 to save $100, and the whole V12 engine thing. Postmark is also wrong.

    My guess is that this company obtained the data from the California DMV. Given a Model S VIN or by guessing VINs you can obtain the owner's address from the DMV:

    Fast Facts DMV 4 Public Record Request
  • Aug 31, 2013
    birdsaresmarter
    Yeah we wondered about DMV too. BTW for anybody who doesn't know, the "Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994" (Federal) appears to have a permitted use for bulk marketing as long as the local DMV has implemented procedures in a clear and conspicuous manner to OPT OUT. Yes, we all know how clear and conspicuous that was to us. Trying to find the right form/portal I follow a link that says "DMV and your information" get essentially a blank page with a message that says " To assist you better, your DMV website session is being recorded for quality assurance.". Perfect, just what I expected - sell that too.
  • Aug 31, 2013
    Cosmacelf
    No doubt the opt-out form can be located in a locked lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard".
  • Aug 31, 2013
    X-CEOsWife
    Yup. I got this today too. As a Model S owner, I was offended by the Tesla marketing effort until I checked out the Luxe Performance website. After I saw what Luxe was offering for sale, then I really started laughing. The thought of my husband in those dumpy blue jeans sent me into hysterics!!!! My husband has way too good of butt to put in those expensive, dumpy blue jeans. Who on earth would put their guy in those????? No girl with taste! However, what do I know about taste? I drive a Model S? (by the way, my sexy husband drives a Tesla Roadster). Hmm....off to bed on a Saturday night......
  • Sep 1, 2013
    texex91
    Ok then :redface:

    Awesome.
  • Sep 1, 2013
    Owner
    So if we think the jeans company got this through the DMV, I don't think they are following the letter of the law: "A requester code may be canceled immediately if the requested information is used for a purpose other than the purpose for which the requester code was issued."

    The jeans company is pretending to be Tesla, which I am sure is violating this clause.

    I couldn't find any way to "opt-out"

    V C Section 1810.2 Commercial Requester Accounts Requester Codes


    Commercial Requester Accounts; Requester Codes

    1810.2. (a) The department may establish commercial requester accounts for individuals or organizations and issue requester codes for the purpose of obtaining information from the department's files, except as prohibited by Section 1808.21.
    (b) Commercial requester account applications shall include the requester's name, address, type of business, a specific reason for requesting information, and the name of the person responsible for the business or firm.
    (c) The department shall establish a commercial requester account when it determines that the applicant has a legitimate business need for the information requested and when the applicant files a bond in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) and pays a two hundred fifty dollar ($250) filing fee. If the applicant does not request and is not issued a requester code permitting the applicant access to residence address information, only a filing fee of fifty dollars ($50) shall be required with the original application and each biennial renewal application.
    (d) An individual requester code shall be issued for a period not to exceed five years and may be renewed upon application for additional periods not to exceed five years each.
    (e) A requester code may be denied to any person unless the proposed use of the information from department records is related to legitimate business or commercial purposes of that person. A requester code may be canceled immediately if the requested information is used for a purpose other than the purpose for which the requester code was issued.

  • Sep 1, 2013
    birdsaresmarter
    I think (hope) that if this is what I think it is, doesn't turn out to be simply some goofy internal miscommunication within TM departments (doubtful given the V12 reference and other facts) by using TM name, address, logo to try to make money without TM permission, they may find out this is the biggest mistake they ever made. Using lawful means to obtain information for marketing, no matter how annoying it may be to some of us, and despite the fact that CA DMV is also probably NOT in compliance with the Federal law, is one thing. Using another company's trademark, trade secrets, or intellectual property without permission is another matter altogether IMO.
  • Sep 1, 2013
    astrotoy
    I got mine yesterday. However there was no postmark, just the Tesla return address. I guess I can reuse the stamp. Maybe my daughter will want to use the coupon. I looked online and the company has some good reviews. I don't wear jeans (or pants) that expensive.
  • Sep 1, 2013
    JPP
    I receievd mine yesterday (SF Bay Area) and actually scanned my envelope and gift card and e-mailed the file to George B with an inquiry as to whether this was appropriate 3rd party marketing and if Sales was involved. I especially highlighted the fact that the comment about a V12 engine was really off-message. I wonder who in the organization actually gave final approval to the piece. We'll see what he says.
  • Sep 1, 2013
    bobinfla
    I'm in Florida, so I didn't get one. But it got me thinking about it and here are some other suspects to consider before we throw DMV under the bus: Chargepoint, Recargo, Blink, etc. I believe they all know what kind of car we are driving and have names and addresses.
  • Sep 1, 2013
    pete8314
    Just for the record, I've made it pretty clear on the website that if you do opt-in to the newsletter, I would never sell (or giveaway) names to anyone. It annoys me when someone does it, so I'm not going to do it to others.
  • Sep 1, 2013
    birdsaresmarter
    Wouldn't we have to use Chargepoint, Recargo, Blink for them to have that info? Unless they got it from DMV too ;-). Anyway, speaking only metaphorically and in jest, naturally, whether or not this is applicable to this situation, CA DMV seems to deserve to not only be thrown under a bus but perhaps a tank for their non-existent effort of providing that "clear and conspicuous opt out". I, for one, intend to follow up on that opt-out. Granted I'm a bit stir crazy and very cranky this weekend thanks to seasonally crummy hot weather here but once something hits my "this is total b.s." radar...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Good to know - thanks for that
  • Sep 1, 2013
    dbw77
    Hi,
    I received one Friday. I am in Nor Cal, near San Jose. There is no Postmark or other marks from post office on the envelope. There is a stamp, affixed to the envelope (not part of the envelope) Very strange.

    The return address is printed in B&W Tesla and Palo Alto Address, the bottom left says "COURTESY GIFT FROM TESLA"

    I am not an owner yet, got a VIN, but have not signed or filed any DMV papers, or taken delivery yet.

    The address on the envelope is the same as in my Tesla Profile at TMC web site, and I do have the "Send me Tesla Updates" checked in my profile.

    It would be good to know if it is really from Tesla, or a third party "scam"

    - - - Updated - - -

    I had the same reaction to the V12 reference coming from Tesla, did not seem right to me ..
  • Sep 1, 2013
    birdsaresmarter
  • Sep 1, 2013
    mcornwell
    I received one as well... No postmark, at least I can reuse the $0.46 stamp since I don't spend more than $30 on jeans...
  • Sep 1, 2013
    lorih
  • Sep 1, 2013
    dbw77
  • Sep 1, 2013
    markb1
    This is relatively common for junk mail.

    Good luck with that. If it's like the one I received, it's not a normal first class stamp. I doubt the post office will accept it unless it's part of a bulk mailing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I think it's what's known as a precancelled stamp:

    http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/postage/precanceled.htm

    Not really bulk rate, I guess, but presorted first class and standard mail.
  • Sep 1, 2013
    evmile
    Screen shot 2013-09-01 at 8.06.56 PM.png The stamp is a regular first class stamp that comes in a roll.
  • Sep 1, 2013
    strider
    This infuriated me yesterday. Though it's probably just another par-for-the-course Tesla communication blunder like switching from Alcantara to cloth headliners without telling anyone and all the other times they've shot themselves in the foot. Love their cars but they still seem to be running too fast for their own good.
  • Sep 1, 2013
    markb1
    Well, then that is strange.
  • Sep 2, 2013
    brianman
    Is it too early to start spreading my conspiracy theory that they do this on purpose to provide entry points for stock purchase for savvy TMC folk?
  • Sep 2, 2013
    AmpedRealtor
    Pre-canceled stamps are generally used when you do not want the bulk rate permit indicia to be visible on the front of an envelope. A pre-canceled stamp looks like a regular stamp, therefore the piece is more likely not to be confused with a bulk mailing by the recipient and has a higher likelihood of being opened.
  • Sep 2, 2013
    Falcon5
    We received the gift certificate a few days ago and hope we receive no more junk mail like this. This kind of marketing garbage wastes our time and clutters up our mail box.
  • Sep 2, 2013
    Owner
    According to the other forum, which I rarely check someone got this response from Tesla that it was a joint marketing effort!:mad:

    I really hope this is not true:

    hammy16 | AUGUST 31, 2013
    I was not thrilled by it and that is why I contacted Tesla.
    Here is the response I got. Judge for yourself
    Hi xxxxxx
    Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Motors. The recent gift card you received is part of a promotion with 7 For All Mankind. 7 For All Mankind is launching a premium denim line for men called 'Luxe Performance.' Tesla Motors has partnered with 7 For All Mankind and owners (in select areas) have received a gift card for a purchase at 7 For All Mankind stores. There is no obligation to buy or use the gift card as it is simply a gift.
    Tesla managed the mailing of the envelopes with a third party so no customer information was added to any external mailing list. An Non-disclosure Agreement was signed by the outside company that mailed the envelopes to ensure this information was a one time use.
    Please do not hesitate to reach out to us again if there is anything else we can assist you with.
    Best,
    Brent Stutler | Ownership Experience Advocate
    3500 Deer Creek Rd. | Palo Alto, CA 94304
    [email�protected] | 877.79.TESLA
    P Please consider the environment before printing this email.
  • Sep 2, 2013
    birdsaresmarter
    Yes, also see post #53. In fact I saw more than one person received that contradictory response so...now, whether or not we continue to receive this kind of "stuff" may come down to how much feedback TM gets from customers one way or another but, I think... mystery solved.
  • Sep 2, 2013
    Owner
    Sorry in post #53 that was at the end of his post. I kind of missed that link.

    I think Tesla need an "opt-out" list at a minimum. There is nothing "gift" like in a $100 off of a $250 item that no one wants. 40% off an overpriced pair of jeans, even at 60% of the cost the jeans are $150!


  • Sep 2, 2013
    NigelM
    Honestly, I don't mind if Tesla sends me free stuff and I take their word for it that they are not sharing my name and contact details with other marketers. The bigger issues IMO are:


    • The whole "equivalent of a V12 engine" thing, which in itself is worthy of a small chapter on how-not-to in a business studies course.
    • Selecting a specific subset of customers when Tesla knows about this forum and has their own forum (why didn't I get a gift card?!)
    • Outrageous pricing by the jeans partner.
    • The issue of color transfer by jeans onto light colored leather seats.
    • Real consequences of brand stretching.

    Still, nobody's perfect....Anyone for a New Coke?


    #marketingfail :rolleyes:
  • Sep 3, 2013
    Doug_G
    Pretty sure that if anyone at Tesla ever read the thing, that would have given the exact same CLANG that it did when owners read it.

    My guess is that they agreed to the program without vetting the wording that the "partner" company used. Dumb mistake. Hopefully learned from it.
  • Sep 3, 2013
    derekt75
    So the conclusion is that Tesla agreed to this?
    lame.
    Tesla needs brand loyalty right now more than they need cash. They should see how easily Netflix screwed up good will with their customers.

    My wife thought it was pretty funny that I got such a letter. I don't think I dress badly, but I certainly don't buy $200 jeans.

    Anyone else think that the jeans company might have missed on the target audience?
    I mean, sure, Tesla owners generally have higher disposable incomes, and to buy a $200+ pair of jeans you should have a higher disposable income.
    but are we owners really the type that values fashion high enough to buy designer jeans?

    I think the Model S looks great, but I would have guessed that we owners are more likely to look for "value" in our purchases, and I'm not sure where one is likely to find "value" in a $200 pair of jeans?
    am I wrong about us?
  • Sep 3, 2013
    Discoducky
    The million $ question is: Has anyone on the forum actually *used* the coupon? Or is even remotely interested in said designer menswear?

    I'm guessing TM VP's don't even wear these.
  • Sep 3, 2013
    Andrew
  • Sep 3, 2013
    gregincal
    Probably just my preconceived notions, but I think their might be a Model S demographic that would wear the jeans. However they wouldn't be on this forum, they would be the type who bought the car after strolling into the store. Regardless though, whoever at Tesla missed the V12 performance thing is desperately hoping not to get a call from Elon right now.
  • Sep 3, 2013
    pete8314
    The whole thing is just a little lame. FWIW, this brand is always available at Nordstrom Rack at a discount, so the coupon isn't really worth too much. Of course, as far as I know, none of us in Texas got the coupon, Wrangler til I Die, right? :)
  • Sep 3, 2013
    Owner
  • Sep 3, 2013
    RLA12194
    Got mine today in Houston, Texas.
  • Sep 3, 2013
    NigelM
    Maybe it's all part of Elon's plan to redesign the U.S. Postal Service?
  • Sep 3, 2013
    texex91
    Nigel I'm not even sure Elon could help the USPS! :biggrin:

    However, you may be on to something...Model X being used for delivery. Second thought--bad idea :wink:
  • Sep 3, 2013
    Cosmacelf
    So I just got a better email from Tesla regarding this. It was an attempt at cross marketing. The reason Tesla did this was to reach 7 for all Mankind's customers. Reading the email, it implies that Tesla got to send their marketing letter to 7 for all Mankind's customer list, while 7 for all Mankind got to send a promo to us. As the letter says, mistakes were made, lessons learned and time to move on. Here's the text:


    ----


    Thank you for your comments regarding the 7 For All Mankind promotion.


    Yes, we are aware that the V12 messaging was off brand for Tesla. This was an approval error made on behalf of the marketing department. We are taking the comments of our owners very seriously and have suspended future activities planned with 7FAM. I apologize for an inconvenience or confusion this may have caused. The intent was to provide a 'gift' to our owners while also introducing Model S to customers of 7 For All Mankind.


    Again, we appreciate your feedback. Lesson Learned!
  • Sep 3, 2013
    Owner
    Interesting. And sounds like the learned their from their small mistake.
    I thought Elon did not believe in marketing?

  • Sep 3, 2013
    Cosmacelf
    Elon doesn't believe in advertising, at least not for now. There is a difference. Co-marketing like this doesn't cost the company anything, but has the potential to reach a lot of people. Tesla has been very fortunate to be getting LOTS of free publicity via news segments, but that won't go on forever. I'm glad to see they are doing some smart marketing (well, it would have been smart had they actually done what they are supposed to do, and actually inspected the marketing piece that the other company sent out, sigh).

    The sad thing about this episode is that BOTH marketing departments in both companies screwed up. 7 For All Mankind's marketing dept. should have realized who they were sending their blurb to, but didn't. And Tesla sure should have read that piece that was sent to all of us, but either didn't read it or a really clueless marcom person read it and approved it.

    Unfortunately, this reinforces the stereotype of marcom people (Marketing Communications) as not being the sharpest people in the world. That's unfortunate because marketing as a discipline within a company is very important and very hard to do right.
  • Sep 3, 2013
    stopcrazypp
    Tesla always had marketing. All Tesla memorabilia, the brochures they give out, gifts (like this one), and the Tesla stores themselves are marketing. Like Cosmacelf, Tesla haven't done advertising (yet). Eventually, Tesla will have to do some advertising (for Gen III for sure).
  • Sep 3, 2013
    Doug_G
    Totally wrong; they do lots of marketing. They just don't do a lot of advertising.

    I'm sure if they ever catch up with demand they'll start doing conventional advertising, too. It's what businesses need to do to make sales.
  • Sep 4, 2013
    Andrew
    Now I'm really curious to see what Tesla sent to 7FAM's mailing list! $100 off a purchase of $100,000 or more?
  • Sep 4, 2013
    Vexar
    I once said to a VP of Marketing for Wells Fargo (and friend):
    "You're more interested in being heard than being right."
    It was over some massive factual inaccuracy about ancient Egypt, a subject I'd studied in college.
  • Sep 4, 2013
    Mark Z
    I received the mailing as well. Seemed cheap, as Tesla usually sends physical gifts, especially to the Signature buyers. The V12 may indicate a previous campaign to Mercedes Benz owners, as their V12 vehicle is very expensive.

    The surprise was reading reviews of the "7 for all mankind" jeans on the web. Many buyers are not happy especially when discounts are available at mass retailers. Glad to hear it was not a "gift" and only a promotion. I will continue to enjoy my 501 or Boot Cut Levi's while driving Model S.
  • Sep 5, 2013
    Doug_G
    Just got the mailing. I guess they're going out to everyone.

    Turns out there are three of these stores in Canada. Funnily enough, there's one in - you guessed it - Toronto's Yorkdale Mall. Home of the Tesla Store.
  • Sep 6, 2013
    DrTaras
    These were very helpful and accurate without conjecture. I appreciate it.
    - - - Updated - - -

    As was this...
  • Sep 9, 2013
    DJ Frustration
    I'm not sure I agree with the negative sentiment for receiving a $100 off purchase of $250 gift card. The V12 message was idiotic and I think some low level staffer will probably get canned for agreeing to it. However, kudos for Tesla for rewarding their owners at minimal, if any, cost. More of this please!!!
  • Sep 9, 2013
    brianman
    Um, no thank you. I get enough junk mail already.

    If they want to offer this, put it on the web site and send out an e-mail to Tesla customers indicating how they can leverage the offer. I'm not a tree hugger but I don't need more paper in my physical mailbox.
  • Sep 9, 2013
    markb1
  • Sep 9, 2013
    sp4rk
    I've not gotten a piece of mail either. So must be from another source.
  • Sep 9, 2013
    mknox
    With my $100 card plus $50 of my own, I think I can get a t-shirt...
  • Sep 9, 2013
    Andrew
    Hahaha. Yep, the market has spoken loud and clear about the value of this "gift certificate."
  • Sep 9, 2013
    Ven Rala
    My wife states you can send her your unwanted 'gift certificates'.
  • Sep 11, 2013
    mnx
    I don't find "the denim equivalent of a v12 engine" line to be as off target as some of you think. But then again I'm a car enthusiast. I can appreciate nice cars. I don't go into convulsions when I have to drive our other car with an ICE.

    I bought the Model S primarily for it's performance credentials. Although I'll probably never buy a car with an ICE again for myself. Heck my next vehicle purchase will probably be a Tesla. LOL Pass the Kool-Aid.

    What should they have written instead??? I guess "The denim equivalent of a p85+" would have worked much better!

    If we're ever in Yorkdale, my wife might end up using it. :)
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét