Thứ Hai, 30 tháng 1, 2017

From NY to Dubai P85D part 1

  • Apr 20, 2015
    Fares Almazrooei
    Shipped on 6th of march and arrived in 17th of april and the Battery had 18 miles left.

    it was 68% when it was loaded.

    here are some pictures after a car wash and cleaning

    image1.JPG
    image2.JPG
    image4.JPG

    image3.JPG
  • Apr 20, 2015
    ModelX
    Beautiful!
  • Apr 20, 2015
    Ames
    Well done Fares, she's a beauty and definitely the coolest 4 wheels in Dubai right now.

    I have been in contact with Zurich Insurance to see if they're willing to give me full comp. insurance. If it all works out I may take your advice and wait until the 30th before placing an order in case they really do come up with a P110D that does 0-60 in 2.8.

    When you connect your phone to the car, does google maps and the internet radio work ok?

    Alex
  • Apr 20, 2015
    Fares Almazrooei
    Yes everything works but no Navigation :(
  • Apr 20, 2015
    CHGolferJim
    I used to travel to UAE. Are you allowed to drive fast on that road from Dubai to Abu Dhabi? Where else?
  • Apr 20, 2015
    Fares Almazrooei

    Not any more it is set at 140/KM :(
  • Apr 20, 2015
    CHGolferJim
    Too bad. BTW, just saw that Obama is meeting the UAE Crown Prince soon to discuss the Iran "treaty". Can you possibly recommend an online news source for an objective local perspective on the discussions?
  • Apr 20, 2015
    Cottonwood
    I believe that if you disconnect the 12V under the hood, in front of the passenger seat, it will stop any use of the 12V battery, but better yet, the car will not connect the big HV relay inside the battery and disable all vampire drain.

    18 miles left in the batter was cutting it pretty close.

    Have you tried a GSM WiFi hotspot for data connectivity while driving?

    That's a long trip for "Ranger" service; probably more than $100 per event...
  • Apr 20, 2015
    Muzzman1
    For internet/nav in case it is for lack of internet access because of incompatible sim, you could get a wifi hotspot device and connect via wifi!
  • Apr 22, 2015
    eloder
    Awesome ride Fares, mabrouk!!
    I think the Tesla T on the mirrors is slick!

    Enjoy the car...
  • Apr 23, 2015
    Green46
    Looks fantastic :)

    I should try and convince my friend in Qatar to buy a Model S!
  • Jun 20, 2015
    EugeneM
    Wow an 85D right here in Dubai! Congratulations it looks awesome.

    Have you experienced a reduction in range because of the extreme heat we're in? My understanding is that lithium ion batteries degrade quickly in high temperatures.
  • Jun 20, 2015
    gg_got_a_tesla
    You actually CAN replace the internal sim card and have full internet access without a wifi hotspot which is not as elegant of a solution. It would just require removing the main screen and quite a bit of disassembly.
  • Jun 20, 2015
    Green46
    Valid question but, not an issue with Tesla battery packs as they are liquid-cooled; the Model S has a very capable Battery Management System that keeps the battery pack in a safe operating range as far as temperature goes. It's held up well in hot, desert climes in the US.

    Here's a relevant thread: Phoenix Heat
  • Jun 22, 2015
    Galve2000
    Thanks gg. Its great to see how they well they eliminate (or minimize) any issues the car could have.

    I hope to see more of these MS around the area then, even though aabar is not an investor anymore.
  • Jun 22, 2015
    GSP
    Fares:

    Nicely done!

    what is your plan for charging your presumably US spec Model S outside the USA? J1772?

    I ask b/c I am considering sending a 70D to Greece at some point and will have to deal with this myself eventually.
  • Jun 22, 2015
    AEdennis
    The charging options for a U.S. Spec car will not be good in Europe. You can buy a 32 A Type 2 to Type 1 cable and charge at 20 miles range per hour at "22 kW" Type 2 charge points, or 10 mph at 11 kW charge points. You can also make adapters to use your U.S. Spec UMC at up to 20 mph. Supercharging will be impossible.

    I would sell the U.S. Spec car before you leave and get a Euro spec car, perhaps a pre-owned one. I think it would be well worth any extra expense.

    GSP
  • Jun 22, 2015
    Green46
    Wonder if the owner of the Dubai car (and Tesla) would be interested in buying a 60kW SC.

    Apparently there have been two sold to private parties. Here's the article of the one sold in Sweden.
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    I don't think he would need that here. DEWA (Dubai Electricity and Water Authority) is already in the process of installing about 100 high and medium speed chargers in and around Dubai, and the driving distances in the UAE are withing the P85D range. I bet his longest drive will be from his home to Dubai Mall on Thursday night, right Fares? :)

    Article from yesterday: Dewa receives first registration for Green Vehicle Charger - Khaleej Times
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    image.jpg
    One has come up in silicon oasis.
  • Jun 23, 2015
    Ames
    I guess Fares does not come on to the forums much. He installed the HPWC at home. My Tesla is Euro spec so I am installing a "Red Industrial Socket", i.e. a 230/400 V 3-phase 16 A. Still no HPWC for Euro Teslas. All of these details are available on the Web Site under Charging.
  • Jun 23, 2015
    meloccom
    Tesla are developing a three phase wall connector for the EU/UK, Hong Kong and Australian markets and have promised to start shipping in Q3 this year. It will probably only be able to charge at 32 Amps 3 Phase when charging a Euro spec Model S equipped with dual chargers and will not be compatible with US spec Model S due to the different charge port.
  • Jun 24, 2015
    Ames
    Alex, how did you go about installing the red socket, did you have to get an approval from ADDC of some sorts? TBH, I didn't think there was 3-phase electricity in the UAE, but I just went outside and checked the box - it is indeed a three phase, 100amps circuit breaker in the meter box. 20150624_115057.jpg 20150624_115127.jpg

    So 400V/16A would give you 11kw, to match the onboard charger? Any update on your delivery to Tilburg, and later on, to Jebel Ali? Who did you go with for insurance, Zurich? More questions to come later :)
  • Jun 24, 2015
    Green46
    Hi Jordan. Yes we do have 3 phase here and you are right; I can max out 1 onboard charger with 3-phase electricity and produce 11kw. That will get me around 55 Km/h which means I can get my daily charging needs in just 1.5 hours. My villa has enough juice to power a HPWC, however it still not available and not really required since I can get a full charge overnight from empty. The electrician will install a new breaker and circuit with wiring of the necessary thickness, and of course the Red Plug socket. The work has not yet been done. My delivery date is Late July, so no news yet on shipping to Jebel Ali. Insurance will be Full Comp with Zurich, the catch being I also have to insure my other vehicles with them and the house and its contents.

    I ordered some accessories from Tesla such as the UK style plug for the mobile charger, sunshades for the pano roof and rear windows, touch-up paint, and the tire repair kit.

    The wait is killing me...I will not be able to drive my Model S until late August. I saw a signature red on my way to work this morning. We have around 20 Model S's in the UAE now and they are just starting to open public car chargers in Dubai.

    Alex
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Ames
    20 Model S's in UAE?? That surely calls for a get-together/rally/show-off event of some sort! JBR post-iftar maybe?
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Galve2000
    Oops...I need to revise that figure down a little :redface: I meant to say 10. Love the idea of a rally...problem is I only know 2 of the owners myself, the rest are friends of friends of friends, and hardly any come on to the forum...anyway as to the rally I'm in - I bet we can get the press to cover it :smile: Burj Khalifa to Burj Al Arab...
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Ames
    I'd still love to know how a US spec model S can be charged outside the USA. so far the only concrete info I have is a TMC poster who imported a US Spec Model S to Latvia. But I have to go back and find this thread.
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Galve2000
    My observation is that many of the Model S's we have out here are US spec models; the giveaway is that they have red signal indicators as opposed to orange.

    See this video at around of a Dubai Reg. Model S @ 1:11 with red signal indicators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIJvKSIqcug
    I think this Abu Dhabi Reg. Model S is a Euro spec.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ofNDNhs8A if you see the charge port lights.

    Fares mentioned to me that he had his HPWC installed at home by an electrician (Fares - when you do come online - can you give me his number?).

    Alex
  • Jun 26, 2015
    Ames
    Good call on the sunshades. Couple of days ago, I thought of you and your panoramic roof and decided to drive my car that has full panoramic roof without the shade (my car has the built-in sun shade, like almost all other cars except Model S), and I have to say, I couldn't drive for more then 10 minutes. Not sure if it would have the same effect on the Model S, but on my car, the sunroof glass was very hot and the sun was blinding (and it's not even very hot yet, only in the low 40s �C (100-110�F) :)
  • Jun 26, 2015
    Galve2000
    I'm not an electrician but I assume that the HPWC is wired 230 V hot to Neutral and then also to Ground, but I am wondering how many amps it is able to pull.

    it would be sad if the whole thing maxed out at 16 amps given that the NEMA 14-50 can handle 40 amps, and the HPWC can handle double that.
  • Jun 26, 2015
    Ames
    @Gale2000 I think we can get much more than 16 amps, mine has a 100 amp main breaker as does the one shown above by @[email�protected]
  • Jun 29, 2015
    Ames
    What kind of wire (thickness) must be used for the 40 amp line?
  • Jun 29, 2015
    scarlet
    I'm no electrician, but I think it is 8AWG which is 8.37 mm2 cross section and 3.26 mm diameter. Once my installation is done I'll share the details; I'm too busy right now to even chase down a suitable electrician.
  • Jul 4, 2015
    kushari
  • Jul 4, 2015
    Ames
    Hi Ames
    Where is your car at the present? Has it departed from the US yet?
    Arrived in Tilburg or departed for Dubai
    Seems like your wait may soon be over What temps do you get in Abu Dhabi/Dubai in summer?
    Regards Scarlet
  • Jul 4, 2015
    Ames
    Hey Fares, next time I come, we're meeting up! I've seen a few in Dubai already.
  • Jul 4, 2015
    Galve2000
    My car is en-route to Tilburg by boat. I can't (nor can my DS) tell you anything more than that. Today is a scorching 44c / 112f. My biggest worry is the container that will be used to bring the car. Apparently they can get much hotter if they are left lying in the sun. Hopefully by the time it gets here the worst of the heat will be over.
  • Jul 5, 2015
    Galve2000
    I have a confirmation from Tesla that their UMC supports 415V and going a little higher on the breaker (e.g. 20A instead of 16A) is ok. I posted Tesla's response in the thread link above.

    Alex
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    are u unable to put addresses into the "places" / address bar?
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    I wonder if the same is true of the US Spec UMC.. i'm a little apprehensive about pushing 230 V through one hot wire that typically (in the US) gets roughly 120V -- I know its been safely done b4, but it even on this forum I have heard people say "tesla is really pushing the UMC to the limit" of what would be acceptable for a modular cable/charging device.
  • Jul 18, 2015
    scarlet
    Hello Ames
    Has your 85D arrived in Tilburg yet?
    maybe you can get a free range upgrade to 90D before it departs to Dubai
  • Jul 18, 2015
    Ames
    Still waiting for an exact delivery date. "Late July" is what I am going on right now. I have asked my DS for an update and she says she will contact me as soon as the car is on the boat from NY. I will ask for the upgrade but I doubt I'll be able to get, and I'm not that bothered.
  • Jul 18, 2015
    Kandiru
    Just have a woman on the front seat, they will not bother you, if they do have her cry and scream. That what you get with the tabus.
  • Jul 18, 2015
    miimura
    The US spec UMC is designed for 120VAC and 240VAC which are the two voltages available here. So, running 230VAC through it will be no problem as long as you put it on the correct pins. Also, make sure you use the correct adapter for the current which your circuit can deliver. Tesla makes adapters for 15A, 20A, 30A, 50A circuits. The adapter signals the UMC its rating so that it won't allow the car to pull more current than it should.
  • Jul 19, 2015
    Galve2000
    yes but that is 120 V through each hot wire. if I were to use a US Spec UMC overseas I would be pushing 230 V through one hot leg and neutral through the other.

    my question is.. is this acceptable? it is (nearly) double the Voltage each leg would get if I were using it in the USA.
  • Jul 25, 2015
    Ames
    Tesla has responded. The car will be ready for transport from Tilburg July 29th; "This means that your car is almost in Tilburg and at this point it is not possible to get the 90kWh upgrade. In the future Tesla might offer this possibility but we have not had any information about this yet."

    Now I have a new problem; I have been asked to pay an extra 19,500 Euros of Tax. All my invoices were just updated. They say it is because they have been have been forced to pay the tax themselves due to some other individuals not providing needed documentation to release Tesla. The trouble is, where am I going to find an extra 19,500 Euros in 4 days?
  • Jul 25, 2015
    miimura
    You are right. You would have 230V above ground on one pin while in USA, 240V is only 120V above ground. Sorry, I don't know enough details to tell you whether what you propose is safe or not.

    - - - Updated - - -

    If you ordered the car for export and the original deal was that you would be able to take delivery without paying EU VAT, then I would refuse to take delivery until the paperwork can be sorted out. Once you provide the required paperwork they should be able to get the VAT exemption on an individual case basis. Just because they did not do paperwork properly in the past, that's no reason to punish you for it. What they're doing is just lazy. Emphasize that you still want the car, but paying EU VAT is simply not acceptable for a vehicle that will not be operated there. Now, if you were planning to do something like driving it to Italy to put it on a ship, then you have a problem. That is an expensive holiday tour.

    Tesla has the same problem with California state taxes. If you want to take delivery at the factory, you have to pay California state sales tax. However, if you take delivery in another nearby state that offers temporary registration and no sales tax, then you could drive it on holiday back to your home state from there. If you buy from a California car dealer, but have it picked up by a auto transportation company and trailered out of state, then you don't have to pay tax. If you operate the vehicle in-state at all, no matter how short the duration, you owe the whole tax. The tax they're talking about in Tilburg may be similar.
  • Jul 26, 2015
    Ames
    Thanks for the tip. It all seems very unreasonable especially given that I will not even be allowed to drive the car; it will only be handed over to a shipping agent. I wrote to them simply stating that I cannot afford it. Let's see what happens.

    Alex
  • Jul 26, 2015
    lmore
    Sorry to hear this. Next time, to avoid paying sales tax upfront I suggest buying in Norway if you want a Model S in a country that Tesla Motor does not sell directly to.
    Norway is not a EU member and we don't have tax/VAT on electric cars here yet, taxes will probably start in 2017.

    Another possible advantage is faster shipment since cars shipped to Norway does not need to go through Tilburg.
  • Jul 26, 2015
    Ames
    Thanks Imore. Another good tip. Some of my friends here in the UAE may take that route.
  • Jul 28, 2015
    Ames
    Alex,

    Any update on your situation? I still don't get it why you have to pay VAT, when you're exporting the vehicle outside of EU. If for some reason you must pay it, I presume you'd be eligible for a refund?

    Good luck!!
  • Jul 28, 2015
    Namervio
    Hi Jordan,

    My DS has his colleague contacting the Tax Authority in Holland to see what they can do to help. My fingers are crossed.

    Alex
  • Jul 28, 2015
    Ames
    Alex - send me a PM if things are not working out, maybe that I can help. I am a Dutch tax lawyer (and a very happy Tesla driver). My tax law firm also employs VAT experts that might be able to get things rolling. Just let me know if things aren't working out - would be happy to help!
  • Jul 28, 2015
    Namervio
    @Namervio Thank you, that is very kind. I'll give Tesla a chance to sort this out. Right now it is possible that there is confusion on the part of the DS. I ordered via "Other Europe" (as per Tesla's recommendation). My DS sent me the link below for VAT refund, this requires me to be an Entrepreneur and have some sort of registration with the Tax authority in my own country. I can provide neither of these. I think in my situation I should be providing proof of export to the Middle East and since no tax is due to anybody both myself and Tesla will be exempt. If I understand it correctly, Tesla gets into trouble when these cars are exported to other EU countries where tax is applicable (and Tesla does not have an entity there), and these owners did not provide proof that they have paid the tax in their own countries, and as such the Dutch government then demands tax.

    http://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontenten/belastingdienst/business/vat/vat_in_the_netherlands/claiming_refund_of_vat/claiming_refund_of_vat_for_entrepreneurs_f

    Alex.
  • Jul 29, 2015
    Ames
    You're welcome. Just wait what Tesla's message will be and drop me a line if things are heading into the wrong direction. (The link describes a situation that is not applicable to you. It is for non-EU companies that incur Dutch VAT following their business operations).
  • Jul 31, 2015
    Ames
    Here is Tesla's reply:

    I have talked to the Dutch Tax Department and with my colleague from Finance and Accounting. The conclusion is that you will have to pay Dutch VAT in order to receive your Model S and if you want to have the VAT back you need a company registration for this, see below link from the Dutch Government. I am sorry but if you want your Model S to an Non-Eu country then this is the way we can offer.

    http://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontenten/belastingdienst/business/vat/vat_in_the_netherlands/claiming_refund_of_vat/claiming_refund_of_vat_for_entrepreneurs_from_non-eu_countries

    Do not hesitate to call me or reply on my email if you have any questions,

    --------------

    I will call the tax department in Holland on Monday and see if I can get an assurance they will give my a company ID (I sent my application by courier a few days back) and that they will refund the VAT on proof of export. If I am confident a refund will be given then I will proceed.

    Alex

  • Aug 5, 2015
    mspisars
    It's over.

    I tried to convince Tesla to retain the VAT and refund it to me once they have the necessary documents. I spoke to my DS this morning; Tesla does not currently have a procedure for retaining the Tax and refunding it. They will let me know if things change in the future.
    Tesla will be refunding my deposit in full.

    Hint: there is a fully loaded Black 85d with all options incl. executive rear seats (rare) going into inventory at Tilburg with 0 miles.

    So in conclusion things have changed regarding VAT. Do not order from "Other Europe" with the intention to export the car from Holland unless you are willing to pay Dutch VAT @ 21%.

    Alex
  • Aug 5, 2015
    Namervio
    That sucks, sorry to hear that!
  • Aug 5, 2015
    BoldSharpe
    Alex - sorry to hear that and a shame that there was no way out. Good luck in Dubai.
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    Are you going to try the Norway route as recommended by lmore above?
  • Aug 5, 2015
    Ames
    I'm tempted, especially by the Ludicrous new P90D. I have a friend investigating this. It's a small window of opportunity and I don't know what problems could be faced. Right now I'm going to mourn the loss of my 85D. I'll be scanning the various forums for VIN 88338 and make a nuisance of myself to whoever gets it :tongue:
  • Aug 7, 2015
    Ames
    Alex, I am so sorry to hear this, I was looking forward to a new black 85D in ARG!! Good luck in pursuing the P90D, keep us informed!
  • Aug 18, 2015
    hockeythug
    My Tesla Grin is back :biggrin: <-- not an accurate representation.

    I have a confirmed order for a P90D, delivery scheduled for November with pickup in Norway. In the end I was able to organise it through two very helpful gentlemen (one of whom is a well-known Tesla celebrity, and both of whom are perfect gentlemen). I am now dealing directly with Tesla and do not require a middle-man to complete this transaction. I even get the referral discount. I will be able to receive the car directly from Tesla, provide temporary registration and insurance in my name, drive it for a few days and then ship it to Dubai. I could not be more thrilled! So there is a silver lining to the whole 21% VAT debacle at Tilburg - I am now going Ludicrous.

    3rd time's a charm (I Hope):

    7/2013: Red P85; could not get insurance in UAE, did not finalise the order.
    4/2015: Black 85D; forced to pay 21% VAT at last minute, cancelled.
    8/2015: Black P90D; fingers crossed for smooth sailing

    Once I am closer to delivery I will post an update.

    Alex
  • Aug 18, 2015
    Six
    Bjorn?

    Anyways, congrats and I'm glad it worked out in the end.
  • Aug 18, 2015
    emir-t
    Congratulations. The journey has obviously been long and troubled but I think you will be delighted in the end.
  • Aug 18, 2015
    Ames
    Hello Ames;

    Sorry to hear your story but every cloud has a silver lining I guess, now you're getting the P90D w/ Ludicrous. Congratulations!

    However, I know a few people from Istanbul who have imported themselves Model S' via the Tilburg route. I know that they haven't paid the Dutch tax. Could it be that they are entrepreneurs and they got a full refund of the tax? This is weird to hear this as I've always thought "Other Europe" was always the way.
  • Aug 18, 2015
    Johan
    That was the way, but Tesla stopped zero rating VAT for cars sold outside Europe. I was told by the Dutch government tax office when registering myself as an Entrepreneur that they would not refund my money even if I was registered, and that as long as Tesla is selling outside the EU they will not have to pay tax.
  • Aug 18, 2015
    Ames
    Congrats Alex, and good luck!!
  • Aug 18, 2015
    emir-t
    Norway comes through in the end :)

    Congratulations!
  • Aug 19, 2015
    Ames
    Alex just a suggestion for you, if you can ask the moderators to move all posts related to you (which is the majority in this thread) to the one you started last year, about your idea of importing a Model S in a non-Tesla country: Importing a Model S into a Non-Tesla Country

    After all, this thread is for a P85D in Dubai, which is completely different then P90L in Abu Dhabi :)
  • Aug 19, 2015
    scarlet
    A good suggestion, Jordan. I was thinking of a new thread if it all works out to share the details. Right now I am not seeking a wider audience as do not want to encourage people to follow an unproven path. I won't have too much to say until November.
  • Aug 20, 2015
    Ames

    So did it not work because you were exporting to Dubai or would it just not work anymore even for Turkey? I'm not sure I understand very clearly.
  • Aug 20, 2015
    Ames
    I believe it would also not work for Turkey or anywhere else outside the EU. The Dutch government told me on 2 different calls that Tesla should zero-rate the VAT because the car was going to be exported, that if Tesla was worried they could keep the VAT and refund it to me later when they were satisfied that my car was exported/registered overseas, but if they paid the VAT it would not be refunded to me, Entrepreneur or not. Tesla told me they did not "have that procedure" i.e. keeping the VAT and refunding it. So as long as Tesla are no longer zero-rating the VAT I would be careful ordering from Tilburg.
  • Aug 21, 2015
    Omar Benani
    Congrats Ames on your Ludicrous decision
    I may be in Dubai in November so I will have to watch out for the blur on SZR
  • Aug 21, 2015
    kushari
    @Scarlet: Thanks. I'm going from a 7.something car to a 2.8 second car. I just hope I don't accidentally collide with any 911s or GTRS overtaking slower traffic while unaccustomed to checking the rear view mirror...
  • Sep 12, 2015
    AEdennis

    Alex, any update?
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    Not much to report, Jordan. I have a VIN number and Late November / December delivery.
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    hy ames

    i also bought a tesla and i wonder where in dubai you plan to have it fixed in case you have any issues with the car

    my p 90 will arrive here in jan 2016

    tks
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    unfortunately you will probably have to ship it back to where you bought it. There are no Tesla stores in The Middle East.
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    I've read of stories of folks who purchased and imported Model S paying Tesla for a technician to do an overseas "Ranger" service. I think there was a $1 per mile charge and the labor rates and travel expenses or something like that.

    In which case I would suggest UAE owners could schedule all their work at the same time.
  • Oct 22, 2015
    kushari
    That would be a great idea to organize a ranger visit who can "service" several cars during the visit, thus splitting the costs among several owners. More importantly for all of us here actually, is Elon's last night tweet, in which he confirms Tesla has entered the Middle Eastern market through the Kingdom of Jordan, with other countries in the region to follow in 2016. There's even a Supercharger built in Jordan through their local partner, Manaseer Group.

    Omar, did you order from the US, or from Europe?
  • Oct 22, 2015
    AEdennis
    Wow, good thing I didn't reply before reading your reply. I would have said it's probably not happening. Unless you have a garage and equipment for the ranger to use. I guess that could be rented though. Also my friend showed me the super charger pic in Jordan, I thought it was a photoshop as I didn't see any info on it on the net. Can you link to Elon's tweet or info about Jordan and the Middle East?
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    Didn't see Elon's Tweet, but here's the Jordan Supercharger (from a thread about a month ago.)

    As for renting a garage, et. al. That's what I heard folks doing to help each other out.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét