Thứ Hai, 30 tháng 1, 2017

Supercharger Etiquette part 1

  • Apr 24, 2015
    Patrick W
    Reading through the various threads on charging I see occasional mentions of suggestion regarding superchargers.

    As someone who has not yet taken delivery (the car is currently "in transit") I'm guessing there are more than a few things newbies like me need to know before their first trip to a supercharger lest we commit some sort of "Charger Faux pas".

    Some of the things I've seen elsewhere are:

    1. Don't take up more than one charging space, even if you're the only one there.

    2. If you leave the car while it's charging leave a note with your cell number.

    3. Best to leave busy superchargers to those passing through and do most charging at home.

    4. Be prepared to courteously answer MANY questions from MANY curious ICE vehicle drivers.

    5. Don't hog the charger by staying plugged in longer than necessary.

    Any other suggestions, serious or not? :)
  • Apr 25, 2015
    Chipper
    By George, I think you've got it!

    6. Just because you have a Tesla does not mean you get to park at the SuperCharger. It is NOT a parking place. If you are not charging...MOVE IT!

    7. For the most part Tesla owners are very friendly people. At the Charger get out and talk with fellow owners when you have the chance.
  • Apr 25, 2015
    Larry93428
    Should all spaces be occupied, are we supposed to form a line somewhere to wait for the next available station?
    Will there be a day when we line up a prefered station, knowing it is faster or something? (paired with an idle charger)
    I dread the day when I find all stations occupied; I hope etiquette is established before that happens.
    ~Larry
  • Apr 25, 2015
    TexasEV
    No need to leave a note if you leave the car, unless you don't plan to be back until some time after your car will have the charge it needs. Then it's really nice to offer to come back sooner to move it. There is a reason superchargers are located at shopping malls or restaurants- most people on long trips are taking a break and patronizing those establishments. Lines at superchargers are rare except for a small number of locations.
  • Apr 25, 2015
    andrewket
    I leave a note with my mobile number, and/or a code to one of the "contact me" apps. The supercharger may have open slots when you walk away from your car, but it could fill up 5 minutes later. This way if my car finishes charging while I'm still eating/shopping/whatever, I'll know there is a line and can come back and move my car. If there is no line, I need not be bothered. Frequently I may plan to return back to the car in 20 minutes, and that turns into 40-60. People don't realize how much time we usually spend having a quick bite, using the restroom, etc.
  • Apr 25, 2015
    LetsGoFast
    I have a contact-me app with a QR code, but so far I've never been at Supercharger with more than one other car so I haven't used it.
  • Apr 25, 2015
    SeminoleFSU
    Those are all great thoughts you guys put down. Agreed- If I'm going for a while and think my charge will finish before I return, I keep a piece of paper with my name and cell # printed in very large font I lay on the dashboard so it can be read through the front window.
    I agree, don't park at these spots unless you are charging. I could add:
    8. If you're not in a hurry or just topping off and the stalls are all full and someone pulls in who will have to wait, offer your spot to them.. That is, if you have enough juice to get to wherever you are going next
  • Apr 25, 2015
    cpa
    4A. You may encounter one or more spots ICE'd, depending upon location, time of day and year. There are a few threads dealing with this annoying and inconsiderate behavior, and there are some good suggestions. Above all, however, is to remain calm. The person might be ignorant ("I thought they were car vacuums.") The person might have had a momentary lapse of decency because it was the first parking spot available and he just HAD to go to the bathroom, and was only parked there for 10 minutes. Sometimes the signs that are posted allow for "30 minute general parking from 8AM-6PM" while the signage at adjacent stalls clearly state "Parking for Tesla vehicle charging only." Not everyone reads the signage at all 6 or 8 stalls; some are different.

    But you seem like an affable sort, so I doubt that you would morph into Mr. Hyde!
  • Apr 25, 2015
    gregincal
    Etiquette has definitely already been established for full supercharger stations; there are some that are full a lot of the time. Generally it works fine. You note what cars are already there waiting when you arrive, and let them go first. Usually there will only be maybe two or three cars in front of you. Generally you won't ever want a particular station. Hooking up to a paired station if that is all that is available is always better than waiting for an unpaired one (your charge rate increases automatically as the paired car tapers).
  • Apr 25, 2015
    brucet999
    Sounds interesting. How does that app work, exactly?
  • Apr 25, 2015
    FredTMC
    Nice thread. I wish more people had supercharger etiquette. I have a local supercharger at San Juan Capistrano. This is an extremely busy Supercharger.

    My #1 piece of etiquette is that i leave if the supercharger is full and someone shows up and would otherwise have to wait. Hey, I'm local. I don't need to be hogging a spot. I don't feel bad about using the supercharger but I won't block others.
  • Apr 25, 2015
    SW2Fiddler
    Good one. Ever hang out (in a close by, non-charging spot) to chat with out-of-towners? I for one love to get advice on local dining/attractions from one who knows.
  • Apr 25, 2015
    TaoJones
    #5 (exiting the stall as the charge completes) at the few SCs that are busy, and/or just as a matter of best practice is probably
    most important in my mind, second to doing everything possible to reduce ICEing.

    Concerning pairing, and again despite being in one of the densest areas of ownership, this has happened rarely, I do tend to wait up to 10 minutes for an unpaired stall to become available. It's breakeven or better timewise, and it doesn't impact those already charging. Admittedly it's not a perfect strategy since someone could always cut in front of me, but hey, it's my high road and I'm taking it fwiw :).

    I've charged at SJC several times and even when busy it's not terrible. It is, however, poorly laid out and is too dark at night and is the only SC in Orange County now almost 3 years after vehicle deliveries began, which is laughable given that the OC SvC is one of the busiest due to demand. Just one more mystery to add to the pile concerning who's running the show for rollouts in the region and if perhaps they should be replaced.
  • Apr 25, 2015
    Phil K
  • Apr 25, 2015
    rickgt
    i use a placard with this info, in Ashe I'm occupied otherwise.
  • Apr 25, 2015
    breser
    Here are few that I'll add.


    • Some superchargers have one slot that is designed to be nose in. Avoid using it unless you have no other choice. Some travelers have bike racks or other rear mounted accessories that make it difficult to use back in chargers.
    • Some superchargers have handicap slots. These parking spaces are usually wider or have an empty space next to them to make it easier for handicap people to get in or out. This space should also be used last.
    • Many superchargers have slots that are not exclusive to Tesla charging. Typically these slots will be marked with a sign that mentions a time limited general parking. Also use these slots last.

    To summarize in my opinion should use slots in the following order. Any other slot, general parking slot, nose in first slot, handicap slot.
  • Apr 26, 2015
    PaulusdB
    Although this order shows maximum courtesy, the pairing thing needs to be taken into account as well.
  • Apr 26, 2015
    Patrick W
    Not to steer this thread way off topic but if I'm reading your post correctly it sounds like you frequently use your local supercharger. Correct?

    I ask because I have heard that it's best to charge at home most of the time and only use supercharges on trips. Something to do with the way superchargers work they can damage the battery if used too much. Is that true?

    Also that superchargers ignore whatever charging level you've set on the console and will continue to charge until the battery is at 100% which is also not a good thing to do very often. Is that true?

    It would be nice if it is ok to supercharge frequently as there is a supercharger located near my house at the restaurant I visit a few times a week.

    Thoughts?

    I have so much to learn.
  • Apr 26, 2015
    HankLloydRight
    Not true.
  • Apr 26, 2015
    Candleflame
    No. The superchargers actually didn't even count as Fast chargers when they came out (charged slower than 1C on the S85). Now they are faster but I guess Tesla has realized that they don't really damage the cells as much as they thought. Once the battery is above 40% they charge much slower anyways.

    (I think this used to be the case?) No, you can set a limiter bar to determine how much you want your car charged.
    There is this rumour going around that if you constantly use a supercharger at a location which is close to your "home" location or the location the car spends a lot of time standing, Tesla throttles the charge range down to 50kwh. Personally, I think that is BS but you never know...
  • Apr 26, 2015
    ToddRLockwood
    Here's an important addition...

    If there are only one or two stalls in use when you pull in, use a stall that does not share the same number prefix as the other vehicles. Superchargers stalls are powered in pairs. If you charge in a stall that shares the same number prefix as a stall already in use (such as 1a & 1b), the charge level to both vehicles will be reduced.
  • Apr 26, 2015
    andydoty
    So, speaking of etiquette, there are mixed sentiments regarding using your local supercharger all the time versus at home. On the technical side, the tapering and conditioning mechanisms in the supercharger technology "prepare" the battery to receive the high levels of DC. The long term effects of dumping that level of DC into the batteries all the time has yet to be determined. It appears to be the general consensus on the forum that constantly charging to 100% is far more detrimental to the life of the battery then the high voltage/amperage being injected into the battery. I've always subscribed to the "low and slow" way of charging, however, with lithium ion that may no longer be an issue.

    There have been a great many heated debates in the forum regarding using the superchargers all the time in lieu of installing one at home. That is for you to draw your own conclusion. However, to add to your etiquette list I have few beliefs myself:
    1) You should definitely patronize your local businesses that have taken the time to install a charging device (J1772, HPWC, CHAdeMO, etc.). In the cases of a generic connector, you should remember that you're not the only electric car out there. You ARE however the only electric car that gets in excess of 200+ miles of range per charge. I, for one, will purposely go to locations with chargers as the business owners have taken the time and money to install it purposely to attract me to their establishment. Long and short, don't hog it if you don't have to. It may be a matter of the Leaf or Smart owner getting home or not.

    2) You have to remember that you can't just go to the fueling station down the street to fill up. You SHOULD use a local supercharger if you are driving quite a bit for that day. With the A/C or heat on and driving errands you can use quite a bit of power. I drove a medium length trip one day and came home to use the local superchargers as I had more errands to run and didn't want to run out. Personally, if it's a busy supercharger (not so much here in MA), you should allow the long distance traveler to charge first. Just a personal belief. Remember, you live there, they don't and may have an appointment they need to make.

    3) It is completely okay to plug someone else in. I would say that's the reason for the charge port working without the key. Someone could plug in your car for you after they complete their charge.

    Lastly, I've seen people go into a broil over using local chargers all the time. Some say "I've paid for it". Some say "it's for long trips only". I, for one, have met someone that doesn't even have a charging facility at home. They use the local supercharger all the time as they only live 4 miles away from the mall that's equipped with superchargers. I'll leave that up to your own personal belief.

    Something else we should note is that many of the Tesla Galleries have HPWC (many are 80A) and 50A connections that you can use throughout your travels. This is COMPLETELY okay as long as you let them know. I have heard that Tesla Service Centers will also help you in a pinch although I've never had the need. FWIW

    A funny side note, before the superchargers were installed in Auburn and West Springfield, I've actually driven to the gallery in Natick to pick up something (it's 80 miles away). Between charging at the mall and charging at home, it was cheaper to pay the tolls and electricity then pay the shipping from CA.

    Finally, it's our separate beliefs that make the world go around each day. I applaud your "etiquette" post. It was your belief that brought you to buying the worlds finest electric car. Others may think your crazy. I admit it, I drank the Kool-Aid and I liked it.

    Regarding your question above about the supercharger ignoring your settings. It does ignore the maximum power setting. It does not ignore the level of charge. If you set it for 90%, it will stop at 90%. If you set it for 48A, it will ignore it. It is kind of scary when you look at the display and it says it's dumping 290A into the battery.
  • Apr 26, 2015
    HankLloydRight
    Just to clarify, charging to 100% is not detrimental in and of itself. What is highly detrimental is charging to 100% and leaving the battery sit fully charged. That generates internal heat and will have detrimental effects on battery lifetime. But if you charge to 100% and start driving shortly afterwards, it should have no long term affect on the battery. The consensus is that "shortly" is a couple hours or less. The less the better. For instance, never let the battery sit at 100% overnight I'm preparation for a trip the next day. Try to time the charging to be complete right before you leave.
  • Apr 26, 2015
    breser
    Yup. I was leaving out the station pairing because it'd already been covered in the thread. Unfortunately some of the older superchargers also have the number/letter on the side of the pedestal and you have to get out in order to see them.
  • Apr 26, 2015
    bxr140
    An important thing to always keep in mind is that superchargers are for charging, not for leaving your car on charge while you go do something (eat, shop, whatever). As such, if I step away from my car (to go eat, shop, whatever) I am constantly monitoring the SOC of my car via the app so I know when to return.

    Put another way, know your charging bogey and leave when you hit it. That's the way to achieve shortest trip time anyway.
  • Apr 26, 2015
    brucet999
    I think you have this a little wrong. Electrolyte precipitating out of solution onto the negative electrode is what kills Lion batteries. This effect occurs mostly at high temperatures and at high voltages, both of which occur as charging reaches 100%, so damage does occur whenever you charge to 100%. You are correct, however, that longer time at full charge exacerbates the problem, simply because more time at highest voltage (i.e. full charge) and temperature allows the precipitation reaction to proceed longer.

    Avoiding highest voltage is why Tesla recommends charging no higher than 90% most of the time. Reducing temperature is one reason (besides balancing cells) why Tesla's charging systems (both super chargers and on-board charger) taper off as SOC nears full. Because high rate charging creates heat in the cells, super charging does cause damage, but the chargers manage charge rate in order to minimize the effects so that super charging on trips is acceptable. Service Center technicians will tell you though, that super charging all the time will shorten battery life.

    See this video on the subject from Dalhousie University. It is rather long, but well worth it. Professor Dahn also talks about the various chemistries used in auto batteries, noting that the Nissan chemistry is the poorest choice for durability, Volt is better, but Tesla's is the most resistant to failure and tolerates fast charging best, at least among those in production. There is a new chemistry being tested that promises to be much better than all others so far.

    Why do Li-ion Batteries die ? and how to improve the situation? - YouTube
  • Apr 27, 2015
    Candleflame
    Ehm... Tesla almost certainly advertises how great it is to go shopping and eating while you are supercharging.:wink:
  • Apr 27, 2015
    MartinAustin
    That is totally a rumour, it's completely wrong. Supercharger charges at the same speed no matter where your home location is. But... if we keep spreading the rumour, it will stay alive!!! Good job Candleflame.
  • Apr 27, 2015
    TexasEV
    I think what he meant was not leaving the car plugged in after it has finished charging.
  • Apr 27, 2015
    FredTMC
    tesla has consistently said that using superchargers doesn't impact your battery life at all. I believe that. At the individual cell level the cell is taking an hour to charge from being empty to full. that's very consistent with other lithium cells charge rates

    my supercharger is near my sons school so I use it if I'm not in a hurry. I charge at home a lot too. I'm working on getting SolarCity too.
  • Apr 27, 2015
    FlasherZ
    Technically, they've said it doesn't have a material effect/impact on your battery life. They have not said that it doesn't impact the life of it.
  • Apr 27, 2015
    Patrick W
    Dare I say that I'm now more confused than ever. :)
  • Apr 27, 2015
    brianman
    You'll get mixed opinions on this one.

    I generally follow one of two strategies when leaving the car at a supercharger:
    (1) plan to be there before it completes (by a few minutes), and hang out while it finishes; watch status on phone
    (2) leave contact information on paper (or cheap device) near the charger

    Sometimes I do both. Mostly I do the former though.

    Often I take a nap at the charger (in the car) and set an alarm to wake up on my phone.

    -----

    Recent firmware will give you an ETA for charging completion. Older firmware does not, but some of the phone apps give you an estimate (and it is close enough to be useful).
  • Apr 27, 2015
    FlasherZ
    Bottom line is that Tesla tells you the impact is such that you shouldn't worry about it. When they first announced it, there were a few hints that they might restrict the number of supercharges that could be performed in a certain time period, etc.

    We do know that extremely fast charging does indeed affect battery life, but the degree to which it impacts life is minimal. You just can't say it has no effect on battery life in absolute terms.
  • Apr 27, 2015
    HankLloydRight
    When I picked up my car from the DC, they let me keep the plastic "ZERO EMISSION" license plate.

    I printed out in a big enough font Contact Info: xxx-yyy-zzzz (my cell phone number) and attached it to the bottom area of the plate.

    I keep it in my glove box, and whenever I leave the SC plugged in, I toss the card onto the dashboard so anyone can see it.

    Yeah, it's got my cell phone number, but I'm not paranoid about it. I'd rather leave contact info that anyone can use (without a cutesy QR code app) if there's any reason they need to contact me about my car.
  • Apr 27, 2015
    bxr140
    And, if youre going to charge more than you need to get to your next destination (which is usually a waste of your time anyway), be at your car so you can move it if someone else shows up and the rest of the stalls are full.
  • Apr 27, 2015
    brianman
    If "usually" your destination is another supercharger or somewhere you plan to stay overnight, then yes. Otherwise, incorrect.

    More generally speaking, if you're on a trip that involves multiple superchargers the last leg is a good place to "top off with the good stuff" since every destination outside of supercharger country will be painful by comparison.
  • Apr 27, 2015
    Larry Chanin
    As has already been discussed it is charging to 100% that generally has the most harmful effect on battery life. Based on my email conversations with engineering I am of the belief that using Superchargers at relatively low states of charge is no more harmful than charging at home.

    The issue is not Supercharging, but rather to what state of charge are you going. When in the taper Superchargers are essentially charging at HPWC rates. While nearing a SoC of 100% both are probably doing about the same amount of "damage" to the battery.

    Larry
  • Apr 27, 2015
    David99
    Not really true, they actually have not made any statement at all. Here is the quote from their website:

    How often can I Supercharge? Is it bad for my battery?
    Supercharging does not alter the new vehicle warranty. Customers are free to use the network as much as they like.

    They don't make a statement about battery aging or anything. They say to use it as much as you like which includes the case of charging there all the time.

    There are two other pieces of information that are relevant here. Elon himself mentioned at a public meeting that Supercharging speed is actually very conservative. They said they made it that way because they want to be on the safe side in terms of battery life. So Supercharing isn't at all stressful for the battery. Anyone that is familiar with Lithium batteries will agree that the charge speed, tapering and at the same time cooling the battery is very much on the conservative side.

    The other interesting information relevant is that Tesla does make a statement about what is bad for the battery life. It is charging to 100%. In other words, they are not holding back on pointing out a situation that is not good for the battery when used on a daily basis. If Supercharging was, they would sure mention it as well, but they specifically say, it OK to use as much as we want.
  • Apr 28, 2015
    FlasherZ
    The statements I'm referring to were not published questions by Tesla but rather those handled in Q&A by JB or Elon or another Tesla leader.

    Definitely agree with the concern of charging to what Tesla considers 100%.

    I do recall - during a late 2012 or early 2013 Q&A - one of the executives being asked the question. He responded that it is likely that quick charging does have impact on the battery life, but that their studies show customers don't need to worry about it. This was asked in the context of Tesla increasing the charge rate at superchargers over time (to even 10 minutes).
  • Apr 28, 2015
    bxr140
    That's what I meant, as that's how the vast majority of Tesla owners plan their trips. Supercharge mid trip, destination charge when [at least] a few hours are available. Those who have more adventurous situations are more advanced than a noob thread for supercharging etiquette...

    Sort of. From a wasting your time perspective (which is the point in contention), the math still ends up in favor of moving along over 'topping off'. Certainly it depends on your battery size and your downstream charger speed, but once your SOC gets into the mid-high 90's that slow charger down the road is going to charge faster than a superchager at the end of its taper. One time I got a supercharger down to 2kw. :scared:

    In an effort to minimize further semantic dissection, I'll revise my previous statements in context of supercharging etiquette: If you supercharge past what you need, where 'need' encompasses your assessment of your down-trip charging situation, personal safety margins, etc., you should be at your vehicle and willing to give up your stall.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    Phillip L
    It is too bad that the phone app doesn't let one unlock just the charge port if you get a call. I realize that at a Supercharger it probably wouldn't help because the other Tesla would probably not be close enough to use the charger. But it could be useful at a destination charger.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    Ingineer
    You could always authorize drive for the other Tesla owner and let him move your car. It's unlikely he's going to steal your car with his sitting there! =)

    I've done this once.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    Shaggy
    This goes for L2 chargers as well. Friday night at Whole Foods in North Austin, gray 85, was there for over an hour, not charging, blocking a L2 spot... luckily on my 2nd try a leaf had left so I could get a charge.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    TaoJones
    Was very happy to see definitive signage at Centralia (almost all 10 slots empty) as well as at Burlington (all 8 full at one point): a no parking icon (circled P) plus "Electric vehicle charging only". Of course, WA has that $125 fine, so good on them twice. I did see a Tesla at Woodburn that seemed to be ICEing. Sad.

    Fortunately, I have made "Don't be an ICEhole" stickers for just such occasions.

    Kudos to Mac for placing a trash can and a windshield squeegee bucket *with soapy water*, and for maintaining both at Centralia. Very kind of him.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    Robert.
    If a supercharger is in front of a hotel or inside a hotel car park, I wonder if some people would leave their Tesla plugged in overnight at the supercharger (not HPWC). I guess that would be the most inconsiderate behavior.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    TaoJones
    Glenwood Springs is situated adjacent to 2 Marriott properties. Management has taken the initiative to place tall orange stanchions at each space. Helps with ICEing to an extent but wouldn't with ICE(V)ing. Hmmm.

    Hopefully if Tesla owners are prone to such behavior, they'll leave contact info on the dash.

    I'd hate to see an EV owner towed for laziness.

    The signage for Whole Foods EV spaces has been effective in Redondo Beach - big white letters beneath a green plug logo on the asphalt that spell out "ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING ONLY". Haven't seen them ICEd once and it's been months. Then again, I also haven't seen any EVs in those spaces either. Heh. But the rest of the parking cave gets full as does the parking lot above.
  • Aug 23, 2015
    jerry33
    I've been to a few of those, and the procedure I use is to park in a regular spot overnight, and then move the car to the SC in the morning before showering. By the time I'm ready to leave the charging is complete. I have seen a few cars that just leave it parked overnight in the SC stall. I haven't seen anyone inconvenienced by this (seven stalls open), but it could happen.
  • Aug 23, 2015
    roblab
    I leave my cell number on the dash. If anyone thinks they will be inconvenienced, they can call me and I will come move it.

    This has never happened. I leave it parked in the SC stall. When I get up, I use the app to increase the charge to 95, so that when I leave, it's fresh and ready. Nearly always, I am the only EV parked in the SC (Country Cousins in The Dalles allows other cars to park, but has their numbers and says that if they won't move they will be towed).

    I wish that Tesla would supply a couple of 14-50s nearby for overnight charging. That would solve a lot of concerns. I have had several hotels install 14-50s for my use when I come by. And, unlike "destination charging", any EV can use them.
  • Aug 23, 2015
    DrumCoder
    At the Superchargers in Airport parking lots (Chattanooga, TN and Savannah, GA specifically) I've seen Teslas plugged into a Supercharger while the owner out of town for days and even weeks. (Repeated visits show the car is in the same stall and isn't actively charging, so it's pretty to safe to think they're out of town.)
  • Aug 24, 2015
    Chipper
    It's true that there are specific persons doing this on a fairly regular basis here in Chattanooga at the airport, but much of the blame needs to go to Tesla for the signage. The signs at the chargers say: Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking Only. If Tesla calls them "Parking" places it's hard to convince owners these are "Charging" stalls.
  • Aug 24, 2015
    Panoz
    At Jerry33: what a great way to Supercharge - only do it the day of your trip while you're showering and getting breakfast. I hope others do the same...
  • Aug 25, 2015
    andrewket
    I've parked overnight at SCs at hotels, but I always leave contact information. Frequently I'm the only car parked there. If it's half full, I do similar to Jerry: I charge to 90% and then move my car. In the morning if I need the range I will charge the remaining 10% while I'm showering.
  • Aug 25, 2015
    Panoz
    @Andrewket: That's actually more practical. How do you know the SC spots won't be taken in the morning? Charge to 90% of what you need, then top off while checking out. Me likee.
  • Aug 25, 2015
    Cottonwood
    It's a matter of convenience and odds, with a safety net.

    I have left my car overnight at a hotel Supercharger Site while spending the night at the hotel. In both cases, I wanted a near 100% charge the next morning, but did not want to get up, dress, go out and move the car before shower and coffee. I just changed the charge limit with the App when I woke up. (Call me lazy.)

    In both cases, I was the only Tesla at the Supercharger at 10 or so at night, and I left my phone contact info on the dash of the car telling anyone to please call my cell at whatever hour if my car was blocking someone from charging. I never got a call and my Tesla was also the only one at the site the next morning in both cases.

    As a converse, I have stayed at hotel/Supercharger pairs in busier locations. In those spots, I use the "don't leave your car at the Supercharger, get up before the shower, move the car to charge" method.

    I think you have to be a reasonable judge of the situation; if you do leave your Tesla at the Supercharger, leave your cell number and be available so that you can move the car within minutes; and accept the risk of being woken up in the middle of the night.

    With varying situations, I have used both methods. Whatever you do, be respectful of others' need to charge.
  • Aug 25, 2015
    jerry33
    If you go out when it's dark, there's no need to dress up :)
  • Aug 27, 2015
    vdiv
    Two Model S cars (and one i3 REx, which also locks the plug) were parked yesterday at the Dulles airport L1/L2 ChargePoints in the G2 daily garage with nothing (J1772 adapters nor UMCs for L1) connected to the cars. It is a regular occurrence there and it leaves a rather bad taste in other EV drivers. They must think that Model S owners are pricks.

    Are we?
  • Aug 28, 2015
    cassiri
    Just had my first negative supercharger experience. It was at the San Diego supercharger yesterday afternoon. Half of the units were under repair/construction to start. The other half were full. There was a Honda Accord blocking one, and the remaining units occupied by fellow Tesla owners who didn't seem to acknowledge others may need the chargers. I was trying to get enough charge to make it to LA. It seemed that the others there were all trying to range charge on a the supercharger based on the amount of time spent and my peaking at their status as they slept in their cars or left them with sunshades in the windshields.

    There really needs to be a way for communication to owners that their cars are taking up much needed spaces. There could a be a button on the supercharger that could be pushed that sends a signal to the owner's app that someone is waiting for their spot. Or what if the app notified you in the event all spaces you are charging at are full to request that you check back with your car in case someone is waiting? Presumably based on GPS they could even know that someone is waiting next to the chargers.

    This is only going to get worse in the next couple months as the X comes online. A hi-tech solution would be very welcome.
  • Aug 28, 2015
    cpa
    I agree. I do not always notice the notifications on my Iphone. (For some reason, the sound is not very loud. Unless my phone is visible near me, I am not aware that I am at 80% of my target.) I would think a brief text message from Tesla: "Your car has completed charging. Please be thoughtful to others and move your vehicle to a general parking spot so that others can use your spot. Thank you!" A similar message could be delivered in the cases when all but one available stall are in use. "Your Supercharger location is experiencing high volume at this moment. Please keep a close eye on your charge level!" Maybe this second notice would not be delivered until your charge level reached 80% of its target.

    I think most of us would readily return to our vehicles and do the right thing. But I wonder if these sorts of messages would run afoul of various privacy laws.
  • Aug 30, 2015
    Andyw2100
    And of course current notifications are only available to those that use iPhones, which is at best roughly half of Tesla drivers. So the other half of Tesla drivers can't receive notifications at all. Assuming people really do want to be courteous, (and I assume they do), it would seem adding notifications to the android app would give a lot of bang for the buck with respect to easing Supercharger congestion.
  • Aug 31, 2015
    HankLloydRight
    Or just use the phone number in your MyTesla profile to send a regular text message. No app needed.
  • Aug 31, 2015
    Andyw2100
    Sure, that would be great, but would require some sort of new software / infrastructure on Tesla's part. Adding the ability to receive notifications to the android app is something Tesla should have done long ago anyway. If they are now becoming more concerned with easing congestion at the Superchargers, that's even more reason to get that functionality into the android app.
  • Oct 16, 2015
    Mike_Schlechter
    OK, I know this has been discussed at great length but we need to figure out a way to explain the charging / selection etiquette better to new owners.

    I had a series of long drives over the last few days and pulled into Edison, NJ yesterday with 17 rates miles. I needed to get on the road ASAP for my next stop and was delayed by inexplicable traffic in South Jersey (inexplicable but hardly surprizing). While happily charging away, and as the only car at the location, my rate of charge was fantastic.

    Then a guy pulls in right next to me - I was 1a and he took 1b, which effectively cut my rate of charge by 30% or more. I tried to be nice about it and explained the numbering of bays. I could tell his car was new from the temp tags. I then suggested he slide over one spot so we can both maximize our rates of charge. After telling me how much he liked my green, and didn't know they made that color (I explained they don't anymore) he went on to tell me this was his first supercharge visit, and walked away, leaving his car happily ensconced next to me.

    I ended up moving my car to get a higher charge rate.

    Is there signage or maybe something from Tesla that can come up on the screen as you approach that suggests the optimal way to leverage the superchargers?

    As more and more owners come on I see this as a growing problem.

    I can deal with the slow and inevitable death of the Tesla Wave and Tesla Chin-Hello, but this charging thing is startig to annoy me.
  • Oct 16, 2015
    MorrisonHiker
    It would be nice if a location-based app popped up as you approached the Superchargers and it would suggest which chargers you should use to get the fastest charge. If you happen to not use one of the recommended Superchargers, it could give you a friendly reminder indicating it would charge x minutes faster if they moved to another spot. No additional signage would be needed on the Superchargers themselves. It wouldn't even need cell service to work. Each Supercharger could have a wifi hotspot that the car connects to automatically when it approaches (similar to how cars send their information to the service centers as you approach).
  • Oct 16, 2015
    Max*
    I was under the impression that it shouldn't do that. That the first person gets as much charge as he needs, and the 2nd person gets what's left over?

    I didn't realize that it reduces the first persons charge at all...
  • Oct 16, 2015
    JohnQ
    Ditto this. I thought first in had priority and second would ramp up as first tapered.

    Mike, did you clearly see a reduction when he plugged in and then an increase when you moved to the new stall? I assume so but I'm surprised.
  • Oct 16, 2015
    ddimit
    I have never experienced that. Most of the time being on the whats left over side rolling into a full SPC station.

    I have found most of the time its a teaching thing. Most owners had no idea about the reduced charge at a paired station and are grateful for the education.

    Some of them have called tesla to complain and its hit or miss if the person on the phone knows about the power split between the pairs.
  • Oct 16, 2015
    Nevek
    My experience has been that being second on the pair is the issue. I don't think there is a reduction if you are on charge first.

    That said, I do try to spread the word that having any number, regardless of the letter A or B, to yourself is best when possible. It doesn't help that Tesla sometimes groups A and B beside each other and sometimes groups all As on one side and all Bs on the other.
  • Oct 16, 2015
    Mike_Schlechter
    Hmmm, I did think there was a reduction, but wouldn't call it a scientific thing. Could easily have been the normal drop off seen as you charge.
  • Oct 17, 2015
    Chipper
    The first to hook up on a pair gets ALL their car can handle. The second of the pair gets what is left over. As the first car begins its taper, the second will continue to increase its charge until it also begins its taper. The only way this changes is if someone walks up to car one and pushes the button on the charge handle. This interrupts the charge and the max then goes to car two.
  • Oct 19, 2015
    Max*
    This has been my paranoia for a while; one day I'll get a crazy SpC neighbor who will do this to me.
  • Oct 21, 2015
    Chipper
    Nothing to be paranoid about. Just stay with the car for the 20-30 minutes it takes to charge. If you are going to go shop or eat, it will probably not make much difference anyway as you will be gone long enough for their taper to begin and you still get your 80-90% charge.
  • Oct 21, 2015
    Max*
    It has never happened, but it's just a thought in the back of my mind when I come to a relatively packed SpC.

    I have 2 young kids; staying with the car isn't an option, they gotta use the restrooms. And being paired sucks, it's a noticeable difference. The only time it affected me, I was in a hurry, and it easily added 30 minutes to my trip.
  • Oct 21, 2015
    Chipper
    Ahhh yes...I vaguely remember those days. (Chuckling) But now it is ME and not the kids. Oh well.
  • Oct 21, 2015
    GreenT
    I had this happen to me in Decatur, GA.
    A Tesla employee there did it and a) claimed to be ignorant as far as pairing and b) could care less, argued and told us to talk to his manager.
  • Oct 21, 2015
    Chipper
    Did you? (speak to his manager) I am not sure why an employee would be out at the chargers, but the fix would be quick and easy. Just do the same to vehicle #2. BOOM! Back to full charge. We tend to assume that Tesla employees know everything about our cars...they do not. But educating them (and the public) is a worthwhile endeavor.
  • Oct 21, 2015
    SW2Fiddler

    :biggrin: Chuckle while you can! At my age, the bladder seems to be entering its own second childhood...
  • Oct 21, 2015
    Max*
    Not only would I call his manager, I'd call the 800 Tesla support line and report him instantly for touching the SpC cable plugged into my car.
  • Oct 21, 2015
    GreenT
    Don't think my post was clear.

    Employee did NOT push "my button". Didn't know till just now you even could.

    Two of us reported him and the car (that was in service) was quickly relocated to their bank of HPWC's at the back of the building.

    As for his attitude, well, dunno what happened about that.

    I also bumped into a Tesla employee in Florida ... who pulled in to Lake City or Tifton or ... ? And used my pairing. I thought me was an owner, til he showed me his badge. He was busy repairing stuff at the SC yet didn't know about pairing. He seemed to be in charge of repairs to all Florida stations. Nice guy.
  • Oct 21, 2015
    andrewket
    They do this because of the parking restrictions at some SCs. If there are four tesla spots, and four general parking spots, the splits will be between them. For example, 1A is a tesla spot, and 1B is a general spot. This way all of the tesla spots have their own cabinets.

    This makes sense if people use the tesla spots first and overflow to the general. Personally, I use a general spot first to save the tesla spots for others in case parking becomes tight.
  • Oct 21, 2015
    JohnQ
    Now that is being a good Tesla citizen.
  • May 16, 2016
    sickfox
    Coming home from LA, had to stop at Harris Ranch to charge around 12:00am early Monday morning. Then I saw this...

    I'm sure if it was morning or if there is a line to charge, this driver would park correctly. (i hope)

    Is it ok to park like this early morning if there are no other Tesla's around? Thoughts?
    FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_2770.JPG
  • May 16, 2016
    bxr140
    Not okay. Bad behavior breeds bad behavior. Eventually someone is going to get screwed.
  • May 16, 2016
    Boatguy
    Was the driver sitting in the car? Not cool, but at midnight and if the driver was still in the car it's understandable.
  • May 16, 2016
    andrewket
    Because it takes 5 extra seconds to park properly? G'z.
  • May 17, 2016
    Max*
    The driver wad just pissed that Tesla's perpendicular park feature didn't work.
  • May 17, 2016
    sickfox
    No, the driver wasn't there when I took the pictures. She and her friend came back to the car 10 minutes after.
  • May 17, 2016
    TaoJones
    That's just appalling. I'd expect that from an ICEr with an agenda, but from one of our own?
  • May 17, 2016
    cpa
    My true confession: (I was not the person in the photograph.)

    One year ago, I was traveling west on Interstate 70 early on a Sunday afternoon. Despite what I thought was more than enough range in the battery (96%), the extreme crosswind made traveling the 143 miles to Goodland, Kansas dicey, even with 96% and driving most of the way at 48 MPH. I really, really had to utilize the bathroom. I arrived in Goodland with about 3% battery, so I pulled up perpendicular at the farthest stall. I plugged in, and dashed to the bathroom inside the motel.

    When I returned shortly thereafter (less than 5 minutes), I unplugged, and backed into the stall to complete my charging session. No one else arrived at Goodland the entire 45 minutes or so that I was there.

    While I was not proud of parking perpendicular, I think my actions were the least "improper" considering the circumstances.

    But I agree that under normal situations, take the extra 30 seconds or so and park appropriately.
  • May 17, 2016
    Nevek
    I think all but the most retentive would give you a pass on this one.

    Beats a Tycho Brahe incident.
  • Jun 6, 2016
    anthonyd
    I agree w all. Thanks for sharing.
  • Jun 6, 2016
    anthonyd
    I also add, charge at home. Use super chargers when traveling.
  • Jun 6, 2016
    anthonyd
    I agree, it would be nice remort unlock the charge port. Tesla, longer cords if you can
  • 1 nhận xét: