Thứ Hai, 30 tháng 1, 2017

How anal are you about parking spots and door dings? part 1

  • May 2, 2016
    jlucero
    i swear, i get anxiety every stop i have to make in a parking lot. with my old cars, i dont think i thought twice about it. now, i must circle the lot 30 times and think about pros and cons of each spot. its aggravating that i cant calm down haha. just wondering who else feels this way. i end up parking 1 mile away most of the time lol.
  • May 2, 2016
    Hugh Mannity
    Drives my wife IN SANE that I find the farthest spot possible usually near a curb at the far back end of any parking lot.
  • May 2, 2016
    GoTslaGo
    Yep. Now we just head straight to the furthest spot available. Not only is the tesla good for the environment, it's been great for our waistline... Walking the extra distance is good!:)

    Funny thing is that whenever we come back to the car, and there's a car parked near us, it's usually another tesla!:D
  • May 2, 2016
    RogerHScott
    This is the irony of auto-park: do you really want to park between two other cars unless you absolutely have to? And/or in a tight spot?
  • May 2, 2016
    RogerHScott
    Now if, when parked, it extended ding-resistant bumpers along the side, then we'd be talkin'! :)
  • May 2, 2016
    jlucero
    yea, when i park far away where there are no cars, i get super annoyed when i return and see a car next to me.
    i also prefer to park next to a handicapped spot, hoping that most are left vacant...
  • May 2, 2016
    jak
    After experiencing a door ding, I got it fixed and park farther away now. Last week, I went to the grocery store and parked away from the other cars. When I came back to my car, I saw a Model X parked in front of me. I suspect he had the same thoughts, too.
  • May 2, 2016
    omarsultan
    I usually park in the most remote spot I can find in the parking lot--at night I temper that a bit an make sure its well-lit.
  • May 2, 2016
    Denarius
    Drives my wife and coworker I commute with nuts. I'll even back into a spot then decide I don't like it and pull into another. I have a problem. My but P85D is still flawless.
  • May 3, 2016
    AndY1
    [?IMG]
  • May 3, 2016
    hpjtv
    Used to park far away, don't care so much anymore. No matter how careful you are, someone will eventually hit you. Had someone open their door right into my driver door the other day while I was still sitting in my car. To help minimize any damage, it's probably best to use PPF like Xpel. I know it has saved me from lots of rock chips and dings. Wish I would have done the entire car though cause now I'm finding scratches from places you wouldn't expect from people rubbing by with their bags and what not.
  • May 3, 2016
    jerry33
    I park far away. No dings in three years. I've had a couple of scrapes, but thanks to the paint armour, they come right off with some bug and tar remover.
  • May 3, 2016
    djinn1
    It's in my blood. When my dad was teaching me how to drive, 40 years ago, he always said "when you are driving down Main Street, always lookout for the Doerflinger family".

    I offer to drop my wife off in front of the store, restaurant, etc., then park in some other town or county.
  • May 3, 2016
    msnow
    I always stress over it. My number one target is an open space next to the end with handicap parking on the other side. Next is an end spot with extra room for people to walk by but not park. Last resort is an end spot next to a curb and far away from my target destination. At supermarkets I stress over carts being push at the car. I think I need XPEL and a shrink.
  • May 3, 2016
    chriSharek
    I not only look for an "end" parking spot, I'll even think about if the driver's door or passenger's door is towards the end parking spot - hoping maybe there isn't a passenger - better odds the door doesn't ever open.

    You get a little more exercise each time you park a ways away . . . right? Well, we can at least tell our wife's that . . .
  • May 3, 2016
    Jeeps17
    I'll have my wife read this thread, it may reduce the complaints about my similar parking behavior (but likely won't)...
  • May 3, 2016
    Beryl
    Sometimes there is really no choice at popular restaurants and small strip malls. Xpel wrap on the doors, fenders, hood, and bumpers -- glad I took that advice.
  • May 3, 2016
    shonline
    So glad to read this. I thought it was just me...
  • May 3, 2016
    chriSharek
    XPEL is going to help with a door ding? Really? That might be wishful thinking . . .
  • May 3, 2016
    msnow
    It might be wishful thinking. Here's what XPEL claims it will do.

    "Paint protection films are clear or colored polyurethane films that are applied to vehicles to protect them from scratches, dents, or swirls caused by road debris, rocks, bug droppings, and other environmental elements."
  • May 3, 2016
    Boourns
    Far away + end spot if possible is the best strategy. Once you just give in to the fact you are parking far away a lot of times it's quicker. Just drive straight to the back of the lot and you are parked in 20 seconds.
  • May 3, 2016
    sublimaze1
    I think this is just like any new or high end car I have owned. I had a 2001 BMW 750iL that I adored. At about 60K, I came out to a dent in the gas cap lid. That was easy, as I simply replaced it with another jet black one. But then, I ended up with two door dings on the same door (right rear). Then a hood scratch. I did the best I could to touch up the hood, but the door ate me up until I had it repaired.

    For some reason (perhaps it is my age and tolerance for workplace stupidity) I have grown less concerned about this stuff. I have the occasional cigar in the car, I have a door ding near the charging port, and a rock chip in the hood (both of which I touched up). But it is a car. It has 70K on it.

    I am more concerned about my OWN stupidity than others (e.g. scraping the front fairing on a concrete stop block) so my biggest concern is setting the air susp to highest setting in any parking lot I frequent (and not turning the wheels to one side or the other when I egress the car).

    I felt differently about a little red Italian car I once owned. But that is part of the reason why it is in someone's garage in Houston (with tricked out wheels and other mods that kinda make my stomach turn ... but that is another issue).
  • May 3, 2016
    Rockster
    I drive my family nuts! I park as far away as possible. At a crowded event last weekend I even parked across a four lane divided highway so that I was in an empty parking lot instead of the crowded convention center parking lot. I was alone that day, so my family wasn't there to protest that.
  • May 3, 2016
    sublimaze1
    Ha! I think I have seen you before !!!! Lol
  • May 3, 2016
    P85DBeast
    I normally ill go straight the back of the parking lot where its empty. Buttttt.. if I can find a parking spot all the way at the front and if its against a curb or if its a huge spot in general. I will park there I just make sure I park directly in between the lines. My worst fear is coming out to my car and seeing that somebody parked like at curved angle by my S!
  • May 3, 2016
    mkspeedr
    My wife says she allows 20 minutes extra for parking. I usually can find a safe spot in 15 :)
  • May 3, 2016
    SPXMike
    I park far away. Finding a spot is fast that way. And walking is good for you. Also always do a pull-through so I don't have to back out.
  • May 3, 2016
    Beryl
    It won't prevent the dent but it might preserve the paint.

    I got a ding on my hood (probably a rock) and a guy knocked it out ($100) and the xpel was replaced under warranty. The finish was just fine. I immediately had my doors wrapped.
  • May 3, 2016
    BriansBucketList
    I'm very particular about parking, and if I am forced to park next to cars, I try for late model 2 doors with shallow door swing radius. I'm wondering what the door ding repair cost ? Was painless dent removal an option ? I've actually thought about hanging those swimming pool noodles/pipe insulation on each side of my car. Maybe a homeless hanger into the rack mounts on the pano roof.

    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. For what it's worth
  • May 3, 2016
    Naonak
    I have never worried about door dings in a parking lot. I just park wherever I want... I've done this for my entire life and I've never had a single door ding in any of my 30+ cars.
  • May 3, 2016
    AWDtsla
    LOL I bet the side of your cars look like the surface of the moon. But whatever floats your boat man.



    Close-parking is some sort of congenital disease. People battle for tens of feet like it will literally kill them to move their legs. It gets even worse when you get into a parking garage. Somehow having to take the elevator one more floor is super hard compared to hunting for the last spot on this floor.
  • May 3, 2016
    Ciaopec
    My wife and I park remotely to increase our chances of hitting 10K steps per day! But it has kept the dings of the cars. Now that body work appears to be so difficult on the Tesla, we can enjoy that other advantage. I refuse to drive around looking for a spot. In the time it takes to look we can usually be parked remotely and in the business.
  • May 3, 2016
    dgpcolorado
    I do the same. My CPO was in near immaculate condition when I got it and I'd like to keep it that way for awhile. Probably should have it coated to prevent rock chips on the front, but I'd have to go hundreds of miles for that, I expect.

    That's amazing to me. I've never had a car that didn't get slammed by other car doors at least once. So, unless I'm driving a beater, I try to do "defensive parking" when I can.
  • May 3, 2016
    aesculus
    We have one of those popular health clubs near us. Once I watched someone idle for 5 minutes waiting for a car to pull out of a close spot to the door of the health club when there were plenty of spots 10 cars away. Come on. You were frigging going to the health club to exercise!:confused:
  • May 3, 2016
    Naonak
    Um... no. I'm not sure what part of "I've never had a single door ding in any of my 30+ cars" was unclear. Sorry you are unable to park without receiving door dings, but it's never been a problem for me and I don't cherry pick parking spaces. Just whatever is convenient and/or the closest to where I'm going. Maybe you should move somewhere that doesn't have a bunch of assholes living there.
  • May 3, 2016
    GoTslaGo
    You just quoted my wife!:D
  • May 3, 2016
    AWDtsla
    It's not that you're describing something unbelievable about your behavior, it's that you're describing something unbelievable about _everyone else's_ behavior. You might as well be saying you don't know anyone who farts.

    I think you need to look harder down the side of your cars, and maybe get your prescription checked.
  • May 3, 2016
    Sir Guacamolaf
    I'm super duper anal. I've also found that parking further away is not only safer, it's also quicker, less hassle, and probably better for both my legs and mind. The only time I mind it is when,

    a) Some parking lots are ALWAYS full,
    b) On a windy winter day when you literally need to wear a woolen underwear to keep the blood flowing.
  • May 3, 2016
    Geoff
    Like others have said, I too am extremely particular about where I park. After getting hit on a residential street in Seattle where someone did 1500 damage to my car, I will even Uber into downtown Seattle so I don't have to park.

    Not sure what was more painful - the damage/$$$ or having to listen to my significant other about it over and over and over!!!
  • May 3, 2016
    Naonak
    I would disagree. My wife doesn't have any door dings, either, and I know she doesn't give a *sugar* where she parks. The common denominator regarding getting door dings seems to be the driver of the vehicle getting the dings in question. So I would consider maybe looking really hard for the source if you have a problem with door dings. You are the only one that is common to the entire scenario of dings, just as I am to my vehicles. Somehow I have managed to avoid them, but you have not. We are (as you imply) probably dealing with the same type of people the world over on a regular basis.

    Which is more likely? That I have door dings but can't manage to see them over the course of 30+ years and 30+ cars or that I simply don't have door dings from parking? Somehow I manage to find the blemishes from other sources, such as my own stupidity of dragging a ladder across a door handle, dropping a heavy object on a fender, light hail damage, backing into a low curb and scratching lower cowling, etc...

    I sure as heck don't see any door dings and my last vision check was 20/20.

    [?IMG] [?IMG] [?IMG]
  • May 3, 2016
    CliffG
    I used to do this, too, until I got nailed a few times by one or more vans with wheelchair lifts. YMMV. (this was to an earlier car, NOT to my Model S, thankyouverymuch)

    This is it for me now: find an end spot and squeeze as far away from the next spot as I can.
    I'm right there with ya.
  • May 3, 2016
    CliffG
    I envy your good fortune, but I just can't think of anyplace that meets your criterion... at least not where I can bring my Model S.
  • May 3, 2016
    lklundin
    My experience from living in Bavaria is so different that I will share it:

    Here you do not _ever_ allow your vehicle to touch another car.

    Actually doing so to the extent that _any_ mark is visible and then just leaving legally qualifies as a hit and run, 'Unfallflucht'.

    I know a couple of ex-pats here who have learned the hard way that if you do so, mr. random pedestrian will write down your license number and notify the police. In that case the best approach is to state that you did not realize that you had damaged the other vehicle, and then just get a minor fine for not paying attention in the traffic. If instead you deny, your vehicle may very well undergo forensic analysis and the fine can then run into several k�.

    For this reason people are reasonably disciplined in parking, since they don't want to get involved in disputes over whose fault it was that someone's car got dinged. And for the same reason people generally just fill up the parking lot starting from the point nearest to where ever they typically need to walk to. Once at 8 in morning at a 95% empty parking lot at a hiking trail head I sat with my door open so I could put on my hiking boots. So because the next spot (out of like 100 free spots) is not free, the next hiker complains that I am (momentarily) occupying two slots. Talk about orderly conduct...

    So I think it is about every 5 years that I get my car slightly scratched while parked.

    Contrast that with Paris. There you parallel park and then leave your car in gear without pulling the handbrake. That way, when others push their car against yours to make space, they at least won't damage your brakes. My wife lived there some years. She can parallel park (without touching the other cars) in a space so tight that it has happened on more than one occasion that people come when she steps out and ask if she could not get her car out...
  • May 3, 2016
    Mark Z
    I have parked in far away locations for years. The vehicle is saved from countless amounts of damage and the driver gets more exercise.

    Time can be saved. How often do you drive, park and walk in the same time that others sit, idle and wait for a car to leave a spot?

    However, with Model S or X, the far away spots can still be damaging. Be careful opening the hatch and/or falcon wing doors with low clearance. Here is an recent example from Disneyland in California. This parking spot is far away from other cars. Be sure to open the hatch or falcon wing doors from the outside and be ready to manually stop the hatch/door movement while watching what's above you.

    IMG_3940.JPG
  • May 3, 2016
    jerry33
    I have Suntek rather than Xpel, but it really helps. Paint "rubs" from the other cars just clean off with tar and bug remover.
  • May 3, 2016
    JMG
    I find it hilarious that Naonak is insinuating that door dings are the fault of the one who has gotten dinged!

    Perhaps you have the best luck in the entire world, or you have some 6th sense that is able to detect which vehicles would ding your car that you avoid subconsciously, or you live in a utopia that is devoid of inconsiderate people.

    To answer the OP's question, YES, I'm paranoid about it. Especially when my car was backed into after only being 6 days old in the Costco parking lot last year. I even parked away from the other vehicles, but apparently school must have let out or something while I was inside and so everyone was surrounding me by the time I came out. $20k in damages and 5 weeks without my car when it was a week old...not cool. But, apparently it was my fault....;)

    I annoyed my wife royally a few months ago when we had to stay at a hotel for a few days for a conference. The parking was in a parking garage. I kept going up floors until the occupied spaces were about less than 10%. Needless to say, we could've parked on level 2, but my Model S was happy in her own secluded corner on level 10.

    And just this last weekend, I had two encounters with door dings. We took the kids to the Dallas Arboretum. 72 degrees and sunny on a Saturday and it was busy. So I took the closest parking spot I could find (We were in my wife's SUV, thank goodness). When we came out, someone had scraped the rear quarter panel while backing out. (Our fault, of course).

    Then, we went to a family-fun center type of place (laser tag, bowling, etc.). Again, it was PACKED and we had to drive around just waiting on someone to back out so we could claim their spot. When we first got in, I didn't know it would be that packed and I saw an empty space that I almost backed in to but it was so tight I decided to keep looking. A few minutes later we saw a SUV back into that very spot and I sat there and watched the passenger (who was a girl about 10 years old) just blatantly open the door into the adjacent truck, and hard. :eek: Of course, it was the pickup trucks' owners fault........ :rolleyes:
  • May 3, 2016
    Naonak
    That's some crappy luck, I am sorry that it happened to you. But again, no matter how hilarious you find it, the common denominator in your problems is you, as you are the only constant. That is, unless you think someone is following you around doing these things in some sort of conspiracy. If that's the case, well, that's a whole different discussion. The intensity at which you talk about others being at fault for everything bad that happens to your car is quite telling.
  • May 3, 2016
    Kandiru
    Very! Always at the end of the lot, or near the cart collection area with tires an inch from curb. The fewer surrounding moving objects, the better the deal. On top of it I live 120 miles from the nearest Tesla authorized body shop.
  • May 3, 2016
    DiamondDave
    I've been the same way all my life! I used to talk about the perfect "Firebird spot" in the 80s and 90s. Now, of course, I point out "Tesla spots".

    Two more things I avoid: 1. An otherwise "good" spot with no parking on one side and plenty of room to a spot on the other side where people might walk past and scratch my car with a purse or backpack. 2. An otherwise "good" spot near someone who has backed in to a space at a grocery store or warehouse club. I see too many people squeeze their carts in to access their trunk.

    When I bought my SUV 10 years ago I made a conscious decision not to worry about dings and to park anywhere. It was a family vehicle, it would get dinged eventually, etc. etc. That lasted less than a month and one small blemish. At this point its a little beaten and battered and I'm not quite as bad about parking.

    I'm definitely a little apprehensive about dealing with the width of the Model S. I'm taking delivery tomorrow and I'm sure to have an uptick in my daily steps!
  • May 3, 2016
    TaoJones
    Come park in Los Angeles sometime. Your chariot won't last a week.
  • May 3, 2016
    Naonak
    No thanks, I think I'll pass. One of the many reasons I don't and will never live there again.
  • May 3, 2016
    TaoJones
    Indeed.

    My goal for year 1 was to not have a door ding or a speeding ticket. Knock on aluminum, I was successful with both.

    That said, even though I simply do NOT park between 2 cars except to supercharge (and let me tell you, some of our brethren and sisteren have come very close to having to pay up), it is astounding to witness the level of asshattery even when parallel parked. See my thread at TM recently describing a Prius driver, who WITH A REAR VIEW CAMERA managed to tap my nosecone. Fortunately with no evident damage as a result, but with plenty of groaning witnesses.

    Another time, a guy falls into my car because evidently the sidewalk was too much of a challenge for perpendicular alignment while walking. Fortunately, I have paint protection that saved the day - that, and he mostly fell into a window.

    When I go to a new restaurant or meeting of any kind, satellite view is quite helpful to determine whether the location is in a strip center, if there's street parking, and so forth. I don't mind valet parking, except that they do NOT get to drive the car, and the car remains in front, parallel parked. If that's not likely to be an option, I simply just do not bring the car.

    That strategy has worked for 41,000 miles almost a year and a half now. There's a festival/event thing coming up. Here's the plan - I'll park within a couple of miles in a space away from problems, and then call for an Uber/Lyft both ways. Sardine parking and likely inebriated patrons avoided at the same time.

    The premise is very simple: It's much less of a pain in the posterior to take a few minutes to be diligent rather than to deal with the hassle of bodywork. You see, you don't get to choose where the "door ding" is. If that impact is to the rear quarter or to a fender, you ain't getting that "popped out", and are likely looking at a couple thousand bucks to get the panel as right as possible and even then, it won't ever match perfectly.

    I almost want a Model 3 now - solely because a $45K car less $10K is almost disposable by comparison, and because supposedly the panels will be of steel rather than aluminum. All kinds of reasons to care less. Why, I might even park in between 2 cars. But (standard) valet is still not an option, thanks.
  • May 3, 2016
    Skotty
    Well if that's your advice, what are you doing in Olathe?

    Thats a little zinger from the Missouri side of Kansas City. :-D We (KC Kansas and KC Missouri) like to pick fights with each other. :p
  • May 3, 2016
    kavyboy
    Naonak must live a charmed life, because I know of nobody who hasn't had a lot of door dings. Until the Tesla, my wife and I parked just anywhere and people would ding us often. I've had people look at my wife's car and ask "Oh my God, what happen?" It wasn't one incident, just 15 years of constant parking lot bombardment. There are major dents and scrapes through to the metal in some parts. It almost looks like it's been rolled.

    So, now I park way out, which I find to just generally be easier and doesn't take any more time. My wife now parks the same way, regardless of which car it is, just to avoid the hassles of parking nearer.

    However, if I see a nice car parked kind of far out, I will park a couple of spaces away. I figure a car person might want to see a Tesla, which are pretty rare around these parts.
  • May 3, 2016
    Skotty
    By the way, I'll tell you where all those door dings are coming from: children. Try as I might, it's nearly impossible to make my little buggers mindful enough to not swing their doors open without considering where the door might end up. And I'm actually trying. These days I use the child door locks to prevent such undesirable learning experiences, and they really hate it, but what else can I do? I think they just need to be a little older still before I can trust them around other people's property.
  • May 3, 2016
    aronth5
    Gee I don't have dingphobia now but am sure when I get my Model 3 I will start having the same symptoms as others on this thread:)
  • May 3, 2016
    GoTslaGo
    "Dingphobia" I like that!:D
  • May 3, 2016
    linkster
    2 Yups!

    Yup!
  • May 3, 2016
    int32_t
    Oh man, I hope I don't have to Xpel/wrap/whatever my Model 3 to save the paint from rock chips and door dings. It'll already be breaking the bank just being a normal car, never mind having to treat it extra-special. :eek:
    On the other hand it would be sad to have so many dents and scratches in it after a decade as is standard on cars that have been sandblasted on Edmonton roads for that long. :(
  • May 3, 2016
    RogerHScott
    Park out of line
    The man comes
    And dings you today. :)
  • May 3, 2016
    snellenr
    I share JMG's story (right down to the loss amount and length of time driving a rental Impala) -- while leaving my office I was T-boned by a Prius who was cutting through parking spaces in the parking structure. Parking away from other cars and was driving carefully within my lane didn't make any difference at all.

    It's a car, after all, and shares the world with yammerheads -- just find a good body shop when (not if) it happens. In the meantime, enjoy the car.

    Now, how about that moment when you see the rock fly off the truck in front of you and head for your windshield...
  • May 3, 2016
    FloridaGary
    I owned my Infiniti G35 Coupe for 12 years before buying a Model S and in those 12 years, not one door ding. I am fanatical about where I park and it paid off. I hope to repeat that luck with my S. Prior to the G35, not so lucky.
  • May 3, 2016
    FloridaGary
    Olathe, KS has about 126k residents. Come to one of our major cities in Central or South Florida where several million people live and I'll bet you can find one sub-division with a population of 126k ;) and most will not care if they hit your car while opening their doors. I love Florida, but the lack of respect for other people's property here amazes me.
  • May 3, 2016
    CHG-ON
    I have always been obsessed about parking and door dings. All the way back to my 1976 white Datsun B210. Dick Datsun, The White Shadow was his name. I am so used to it now that it is always automatic. It can still be a stessor when parking is bad. But a friend of mine used to say that I have "good parking karma", because I pretty much always am able to find a safe spot. 19 months in and not one door ding yet and very thankful for it. When people bitch, which is rare, I say accept my illness or I'd be happy to drop you off here.

    I know that it's lame to love an inanimate object, but I really do have fun babying the car. It's my quiet time. Always has been.
  • May 3, 2016
    Burt Court
    I'm the OBNOXIOUS parker who uses 1 1/2 spaces, but way out in the far end of a parking lot...
  • May 3, 2016
    jlucero
    Im the OP, and i love all the comments! but of course i agree with most people here that door dings arent the fault of the driver!

    even if you park far away, with no one else next to you, there is NO WAY you can prevent someone coming and parking right next to you 1 minute after you leave your car and dinging your door. you can be as careful as you want, but you cant control who approaches your car after you leave.

    speaking of sad notes, has anyone been keyed due to jealousy? im constantly worried about haters who will do that. i was in LA body shop, and the body shop was working on Tony Hawks blacked out tesla that had a keying 360 around the car. they were repairing it due to haters keying his car. what a shame...
  • May 3, 2016
    ShotgunF15E
    Ha. I drop the SO off at the front door, take the car home and then Uber back to join her.....lol
  • May 3, 2016
    beantobe
    Glass insurance to the rescue! Can't do without it in Arizona
  • May 3, 2016
    Naonak
    Speaking of that... anyone know how much a Tesla windshield costs?
  • May 3, 2016
    beantobe
    When I lived in Boston, a city where parallel parking is as important as breathing, I grew accustomed to the "Boston bump." When someone squeezed in so tight they have to literally bump your car and stop when they get the haptic feedback from the jolt. I saw some nice cars out there that had these rubber mats they'd pull out of their trunk to lay over the back bumper for protection. Everyone else's bumpers were destroyed. I'd never drive anything nicer than my '97 civic there.
  • May 3, 2016
    thecloud
    I always try to park next to another Tesla if I see one in a parking lot, since I presume all Tesla owners are hyper-aware of the space around their cars, and so will be extra careful when opening the door on that side. Or some kind of wishful thinking like that.
  • May 3, 2016
    TaoJones
    About $1600 out the door as quoted 6 months ago to a not happy 3-week old P owner at a SoCal SvC.

    I was surprised as I thought they were closer to $1200. Maybe they're $1200 plus labor. Anyway, there must be aftermarket Model S windshields by now - at least for the pre-AP cars. Anyone? Anyone?
  • May 3, 2016
    BriansBucketList
    I've been driving over 50 years and owned about 10 cars. At 30+ cars, have you owned one for more than a few years ? Statistically, it shouldn't matter since you've been parking for how ever many years it takes to go through 30 cars. I have a 2006 Acura- flawless for 9 of its 10 years, then someone put a good sized dent in the driver side door. Acura uses pretty heavy gauge metal in the doors, so this looked like the proverbial "throw the door open" and worry about other people later, and I guess the first dent sort of "breaks in" the car. Mine is a lease, so I would prefer no dents.

    In this area, there are a lot of strip malls with narrow spots, so if I never got a dent in any of my cars, I'd probably buy a lot more stock and gamble more.

  • May 3, 2016
    andyaycw
    Not a bad way of thinking, but word of caution: not all owners extend that same courtesy, even if they do see it's a fellow Tesla.

    Few months back, I was the first car in the far left lane of a protected left turn intersection. Another Tesla pulls up to my right. When the light turns green we both proceed. Since I had the shorter turn radius, I'm slightly ahead when we complete our turns...I quickly realize I have to get over to the right lane (in front of the other Tesla) to make my next right turn. I signal...and instead of yielding to me (which wouldn't have been difficult as I was already ahead of her car), she guns it!

    Guess there's no courtesy on the road, even between Tesla "family" members
  • May 4, 2016
    RogerHScott
    Only someone from California, or possibly Norway, would say this. In the month that I've owned my Tesla
    I have seen another on the road around here exactly once. And I've yet to encounter one parked.
  • May 4, 2016
    jlucero
    yea parking close to a tesla probably gives you beter odds....but how do you know a child wont open his door on his tesla into yours? i have pleaded with my 8 year old to please open the door carefully when they open the door, but 1/10 times they arent. kids!!!!
  • May 4, 2016
    mkspeedr
    My windshield was $1,400 a couple of months ago.
  • May 4, 2016
    TaoJones
    Heh. Funny you should mention. Here in SoCal, I've been approached twice, so far, by a total of 3 Norwegians. Each has been appreciative of being able to buy a Model S in Norway for as much as we pay here *or less* (note the ~10% CA sales tax and ~$750/year CA registration fee). The first fellow asked, "Where are all the Teslas?" Note that 3 had passed by in the half hour prior, and I've been surrounded once by 4 of them on Sunset Blvd. Quite impressive that Norway, an oil-dependent country to a large extent, leads the world in per capita ownership. That, and it's just plain cool to have an SC north of the Arctic Circle.
  • May 4, 2016
    Naonak
    Yes, my daily driver prior to my P90D was a Diesel Jetta that I owned for 13 years. Not a single door ding on the car. The rub strip had some damage, but that was purely from my own failings when opening the door against a wall or bollard, not from someone else. The front end was pocked and chipped like the surface of the moon (see what I did there?), but after 260,000 miles and no protection on the front, that's to be expected. My typical length of vehicle ownership, discounting the Jetta, is about 3 years per car. I'm down to my lowest car count in years now, at 4 cars in the garage, as I just sold the Jetta, a '98 Supra and my KidTransporter, a Chevy Traverse.

    Current door ding count:

    P85 = 0
    P90D = 0
    S60 = 0
    Exige S = 0

    Total: 0

    Collectively, the cars have about 180,000 miles on them currently. The Supra had 106,000 miles on it and the Traverse had 96,000 miles on it. I don't believe in garage queens or babying cars. If you buy a car, drive the sumbeech like it was meant to be driven. If you want a piece of garage art, buy a painting.
  • May 4, 2016
    thecloud
    Yes, even a careless adult can do that. Heck, they might be in a Model X and auto-open their front doors. Parking next to a minivan with sliding doors is probably a safer bet, I did say this was wishful thinking...
  • May 4, 2016
    BriansBucketList
    I tried he painting, but it was difficult to charge, had no acceleration, and I couldn't find the doors. Body repair is expensive for aluminum in this area, but that's another discussion, and I'm watching how scalable the repair process becomes. Im all for driving the crap out of the car but there are tons of people out here that think thing of rear ending you and taking off. The cameras should help if that becomes a problem.


  • May 4, 2016
    jlucero
    exactly! a minivan still has front doors that can be opened by a careless adult or child right into your side door!!!
  • May 5, 2016
    digitaltim
    Ditto here - no dings in 3+ years and counting...
  • May 5, 2016
    TrevTremaine
    Unfortunately, I've received major dings in most of my vehicles. It's initially upsetting, especially when you're sitting in the car and someone hits it hard and is unapologetic (but probably would go ape if you even touched his car). There's little one can do, as it's partly chance but mostly courtesy in a time when many people just have next to no respect. The balance point for me is that now that I've got kids - they make more of a mess/do more damage to my vehicles. It'll be tough to "keep perspective" when it becomes a more costly affair but I hope I will.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    CYoa
    I just got a ding - was so angry that I parked between two cars and had a bad feeling about it going in already. I walked out to my car and saw the ding immediately and was almost not surprised that it happened. Hit and run of course, but I guess that's life.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    STbreaker
    I had 4 or 5 door dings and a shopping cart dent + scratch in my 6 year old car prior to getting the Tesla. I never really babied that car nor cared where I was parking. Now, I do my best to park away from other cars and preferentially on an end, so at worst there can only be a car on one side.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    S4WRXTTCS
    I generally dislike people so I try to park away from them.

    It's not even about door dings, but about any unwanted interactions.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    Sir Guacamolaf
















    me too.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    AMPd
    You want to tell your wife you park further away so she can exercise?

    I wish nothing but the best for you in your next life sir.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    hybridbear
    I wish more parents would do exactly this! It's a shame that most parents don't even seem to bother to try to teach their kids to show respect for other peoples' property, in fact, most adults don't show that respect themselves.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    Sir Guacamolaf
    There was once an ultra fat lady, grown up, who dinged my previous car. I requested her to be careful next time .. As politely as I could. I didn't make a fuss about the ding. And she started yelling at me for being materialistic. Yeah I park far far far away from most cars, especially minivans because they are usually full of kids, or moms whose heads have turned to mush because of kids, or SUVs which are also usually full of kids.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    Terra117
    Don't know what the categories would be, but I'm in the epically anal category. If anyone parks next to me, it is almost always an enthusiast vehicle, and my impression is they are in the same category as me.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    Manny13z
    I never worried about that before until I picked up my MS. My walks to the store have now become longer and I find myself inspecting my car when I return. I also admit to honking the horn and flashing the lights periodically...Don't judge me!
  • Jul 10, 2016
    Shortmanz
    I always make sure to park uphill from the shopping cart cages. I never park next to them either. Several years ago a friend borrowed my truck and was sitting in it when a shopping cart rolled into it. He said he saw it coming, but thought it would miss the truck. Needless to say I was not happy about the resulting ding.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét