Thứ Ba, 31 tháng 1, 2017

The Carrier Dented My Car part 1

  • Jan 11, 2013
    Liz G
    My car was due to be delivered tonight and I just got a call from the carrier. They dented the roof of my car. I'm not even sure how they did it. He was trying to explain but all I heard was white noise.

    I'm still waiting for a picture to see how bad it is.

    Tesla says the carrier is responsible which makes sense and they need to fix it under their insurance. But my husband says that not only should they fix it but they (carrier) owe me some money since now my Vin is going to show that I've had body work and I don't even have the car yet.

    And of course we are worried about the Pano roof now. Oh geez!

    I don't know what to do. Anybody else have this happen?
  • Jan 11, 2013
    mknox
    I think your husband is on to something. An employee of mine just got a "deal" on a new Infinity, and she was telling me she got the deal because the car was damaged in transit. Apparently the car carrier slid off the highway and all the cars shifted. They replaced damaged panels with new, and they were thrilled to get the break in price due to the "damage" being registered against the VIN.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    kevincwelch
    Have you paid for it?
  • Jan 11, 2013
    doug
    Ooof. That sucks. Be sure to share when you get details.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    William13
    I agree with Dadaleus. Evidently the driver got too close to the sun;)

    Your choices are 1) accept the repaired car. I would not. You have waited a long time and deserve a new car to dent yourself.
    2) accept the repaired car with a monetary settlement. This is a long term risk about Pano roof leak, but at the worst you would need to leave the roof closed full time.
    3) decline the car and have Tesla build you a new car. Maybe it would have a better build quality than some of the early cars.

    If you choose 3 you will need to push Tesla hard. You may need to send G Blankenship an email.

    I would choose 2 and get a discount. You need to push hard about it. I would ask for 20%, then 15%, and settle at 10%. Any less and you are being taken.

    Good luck, remember righteous indignation can be very powerful and invigorating.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    artsci
    If I were in your shoes I'd go for option 3 and demand a new replacement car. Otherwise you have damaged goods no matter how well it's repaired.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    Cattledog
    Liz - I feel badly for you, I got a pit in my stomach just reading your story. Could have been any of us, but shouldn't be any of us. Of course it's your call, but if it were me I'd ask for a new car. Good luck.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    bonnie
    I vote for the new car, too. Let Tesla and the carrier figure out the repair and sell that car to someone else. It's not your problem.

    You paid for a new car, not a repaired car.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    jomo25
    I agree with what she should pursue. Of course, I'd hate to be the person who buys that original car. Perhaps, it can the first official Model S loaner. Or sent out to a store for test drives.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    StephenM
    I like this idea. They need demo and/or loaner cars anyway.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    RLA12194
    VIN and specs please...just looking out.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    GeorgeB
    Hi Liz,

    I just heard about this. So sorry this happened.

    We will ABSOLUTELY take care of this. I have asked for pictures.

    Let me look at the pictures and get back to you. We will absolutely get you a new car as needed. Let me see the pictures and get back to you.

    GeorgeB
  • Jan 11, 2013
    kevincwelch
    And there you go...:)
  • Jan 11, 2013
    jomo25
    On cue! Nice work GB!
  • Jan 11, 2013
    StevePro
    Now that's great Tesla service! This is what makes us all advocates for Tesla! Well done.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    Liz G

    Thank you George.
    I have had nothing but good experiences in the past when working with Tesla. I'm sure that we will be able to come to a fair solution.

    Thank you everyone who responded.
    This has been a very emotional day from me. I've gone from the excitement of seeing the end of 2 1/2 year wait. To the utter disappointment of not only not getting my car but also finding out it was damaged.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    K Hall
    So sorry Liz I cant imagine the disappointment.

    Excellent response George.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    artsci
    I'm not the least bit surprised that GeorgeB agreed to a replacement, and so quickly. Tesla puts customer service at the top where it should be and Goerge embodies this commitment most of all.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    dsm363
    Liz: Sorry to hear about this but glad it is being taken care of.

    GeorgeB: Awesome as always. Thanks.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    Jaff
    Liz, sorry to hear about your vehicle damage...George, thank you for continuing to show that TMC will do the right thing!
  • Jan 11, 2013
    kevincwelch
    Let's hope it is minor damage and that the "as needed" isn't needed.
  • Jan 11, 2013
    Bound466
    Wow Liz, your situation really hit home. That's not the news anyone would want to hear about their new baby Tesla.

    And good show Tesla and GB!! You guys rock!!
  • Jan 11, 2013
    brianman
    Before GB spoke up, I was going to suggest contacting Laurent. He has some experience negotiating with Tesla on this topic. At least I think it was Laurent...
  • Jan 11, 2013
    Renderdog
    Wow! I'm simply amazed by this wonderful response.

    -Mark (definitely a future customer now!) :)
  • Jan 11, 2013
    araxara
    Glad that you got that resolved! My Model S had the Pano roof glass scuffed (probably by the transporter). The roof had about a 1 inch scuff mark that looked like the glass got sandblasted. The Tesla Tech said that he heard that this has happened to other cars. They're replacing the Pano glass in mine.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    Al Sherman
    I'm so darned proud to be a part of this company. I admit I'm a long time "true believer." My friends make fun of me for believing in a car company at this level. I'm printing out George's response to this to show the gang at the golf course this morning.
    A car company that get's it? Are you kidding me! We have all had horrible car buying/ owning experiences. I hesitate to use the word but I've had some that were borderline "traumatic." No wonder I get a little emotional when I see customer service like this. Simply stunning!
  • Jan 12, 2013
    Liz G
    I can't descibe how much I appreciate the way Tesla is handling this. Their quick and kind responses are definitely making this situation easier for me to deal with.

    The car is now at the Tesla service center in Chicago. And they've sent me pictures. Looks like the driver lowered the ramp for the upper deck and dented the piece of applique that covers the seem between the windshield and pano roof. In addition the windshield is cracked. Guess I should feel lucky he hit that spot, any further back and the interior of the car would have probably been filled with glass.

    I'm still trying to figure out how the driver managered to do that. [Thinking....Bewildered look] Yep, cant figure out how he didn't see my car sitting under the ramp before he tried to lower it. I've got a picture of it and I find it hard to take my eyes off of it. :) Maybe it's beauty mesmerized him.

    Anyways I'm putting together a list of questions for Tesla to address, because of where the damage is. If it truly was just a "love tap" then it looks like Tesla can simply replace the piece with a new one and the windshield and then the only thing I have to concider is diminished value. I'm not going to think about the other option right now.

    This is difficult not being able to see the damage in person and access it. Part of me wants to drive up to Chicago and take a look. But maybe not, I'd probably cry again. Yeah, I cried when I found out. I know "it's just a car", but .... it's not "just a car".

    Anyways, Tesla is going to look at it Monday, service center is closed on the weekend, and let me know by Tuesday what the damage is. Then we figure out where we go from there.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    Iz
    Best of luck Liz. It is excellent that George B. continues to monitor and participate in this forum. Thank You Sir!!
  • Jan 12, 2013
    sublimaze1
    Liz,

    This is terribly unfortunate, but you brought up some good points (as have others who have posted in this thread)

    (1) any further back, and your car would be filled with pano-glass-roof"lets" (lucky)
    (2) GB had this brought to his attention (Tesla employees read this stuff - no way GB reads every thread every day) (Tesla Teamwork)
    (3) GB contacted you (either indirectly or directly) and made this - or is making this - right (Company Integrity)

    I have heard all ranges of stories from the delivery process, in states like Georgia and Texas where it is still illegal to buy a Model S directly (beating a dead horse here). These stories range from delightful to down right sophomoric and anywhere in between. Dirty handprints on the A-pillar, scratches on the wheels, are one thing, but this is

    (a) huge

    and

    (b) not Tesla's fault directly.

    Sure, they hired the transport team, but it is a subcontractor and should be considered only as a subcontractor, not Tesla.

    Tesla makes things right. I truly think that making a buck is not number one on their priority list. Heck, it may be in double digits on that list. Their company exists to re-invent how people interpret daily travel while reaching out to the environment and saying, in a technologically savvy way, "we care"

    Liz, we all wish you a rapid repair to your car.

    WJ
  • Jan 12, 2013
    bob_p
    As Tesla continues to ramp up sales, they will work out the dealership issues in every state (at least the ones where they are selling in volume). If they have a dealership, then owners would have an opportunity to inspect the car before payment and accepting delivery - so this issue would not come up - it would be entirely be between Tesla and the transport company.

    My last car had a similar problem. I ordered a Lexus LS 460 - and it was damaged in transport. My Lexus dealer didn't even give me the option to take the car - because after it was repaired, it wouldn't be "new". Instead, they worked things out with Lexus and the transport company - and got me a replacement a week later.

    Until Tesla works out the dealership issues, they can create a lot of good will by providing their customers the same level of protection for their investments, that we would get if they had local dealerships.

    But I'll admit, after finalizing my delivery options yesterday, I do have some apprehension about the shipping process (to Houston) and hope my delivery goes smoothly...
  • Jan 12, 2013
    sublimaze1
    See if you can ask for Richard out of Idaho. He is one person who takes pride in his job and how he services clients. Straight shooter. If it is a morning delivery, breakfast made him happy. No cheese. No coffee.

    Just sayin ....
  • Jan 12, 2013
    jerry33
    But you wonder how many times this happens vs. the dealers just "fixing it" and not saying anything. I think we're better off knowing and having the issue come up. If the transport companies have to eat enough Model S cars, maybe they will improve.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    bonnie
    My assumption is that Tesla has insurance in place for cars 'in transit' and/or has verified that the carriers have adequate insurance. This shouldn't be money out of Tesla's pocket (or Liz').

    But I'm really sorry, Liz, that you have a delay in receiving your car. It's not a surprise that Tesla (ie, George) is handling the way they are. God speed to your new car!
  • Jan 12, 2013
    byt
    Sad story, love GBs and TMs response!
  • Jan 12, 2013
    Timtim2008
    [?IMG]

    or

    [?IMG]


    atleast this didnt happen
  • Jan 12, 2013
    EarlyAdopter
    Not to worry - this is yet again one of the many places Tesla did it right.

    The pano roof and rear hatch glass are the same "Lamisafe" laminated safety glass as the front windshield, not just tempered automotive glass like used on side windows.

    This means it won't shatter into a thousand pebbles and fill the interior with glass. The plastic sheet in between the layers of glass will hold it together. A few pebbles might come loose with a big impact, but most will be kept bonded to the sheet.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Chin up, Liz; you are a champ!

    Bravo, GB and Tesla.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    brianman
    Looking at these pictures is painful. Especially the second one.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    UMD86
    I don't think that is totally true. As long as you don't go thru an insurance company it will not be reported to Carfax.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Excellent point Bonnie. Don't be persuaded when you see the car fixed. I would push for a new car. I would tell the driver not to deliver it. You don't want to see the car. Push Tesla hard.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    FlasherZ
    It's likely your car is sitting next to mine. They can help comfort each other in their illnesses. :)
  • Jan 12, 2013
    HoneyBug
    Remember that if there is ANY painting to be done it will NOT match the factory paint and it WILL peel long before the rest of the factory paint even fades.
    I'm sure that GB will make it right. I've just never had good luck with paint repairs, let alone some factory paint.
    No matter what, the car will not be as good or have as great a resale value as it would have otherwise.
    One post suggested they fix the car and use it for a Tesla store demo car. I second that recommendation.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    bonnie
    Not sure why so many keep assuming Liz will need to take a repaired car. I thought George was quite clear.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    Ceilidh
    Liz--

    So sorry to hear about your car, but so stoked that George B just swooped in and started taking care of it himself. Pretty amazing display of Tesla customer service... but I know that doesn't get your car to you at the time you expected and that is a tough pill to swallow until it arrives.

    Hang in there!

    -------

    In other news:
    I can assure you that it is quite possible to shatter even Lamiglass into a gazillion pieces and have most of them go all over you. I agree that it is better than regular tempered glass however.

    I learned this the hard way when a retread attacked my windshield a number of years ago (which is why I am the lone voice here against drafting trucks for range). Spent hours picking all the shards of glass out of my skin.

    Cheers
  • Jan 12, 2013
    William3
    I would like some advice. I took delivery of my Model S about 4 weeks ago and there was a deep scratch in the roof (among a lot of other issues). I pointed it out to the delivery people and was assured that the service center would be able to color sand it out easily, so I reluctantly accepted delivery. Couldn't get the car into the service center for a few weeks because they were too swamped. It finally went in about a week ago. I just got told yesterday that it is at a 3rd party body shop getting the entire roof painted. I never authorized this. I was told that if the service center's detail guys couldn't repair it then they might have a local body shop take a crack at it, but it was never suggested that a part of the car would be repainted. When I sold my Acura to Carmax recently I remember them going over the car with some sort of electronic tool that told them the paint thickness and allowed them to determine if any sections of the car had been repainted. Has Tesla just harmed the resale value of my car? Am I going to have paint fade / paint match issues later on? The car has under 500 miles on it. I am very concerned. What should I do?
  • Jan 12, 2013
    Discoducky
    TM Warrant still applies, but verify color match in bright sunlight
  • Jan 12, 2013
    kevincwelch
    Actually, I don't find his intention to be clear.

    If George wanted to be crystal clear, he would have said, "We will absolutely get you a new car." Instead, the statement is modified by the phrase "as needed." Who determines the need? Liz? Tesla?
  • Jan 12, 2013
    Discoducky
    All that means to me is that he'll wish to see the damage. I can picture a small dent which can be resolved simply with suction. Kudos again to GB the super VP who replied in two hours!
  • Jan 12, 2013
    William3
    Have you read the Tesla warranty? It excludes paint defects related to paint matching. I'm not feeling good about this at all.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    stevezzzz
    I'm out of state so I can't go look at my S to see how it's put together, but one thing to consider is whether the dent is confined to a body panel. Since the windshield is cracked you have to at least be concerned about whether the roll cage might be compromised.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    kevincwelch
    Again, I'm not assuming anything positive or negative by what he said. I'm sure you're right.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    FlasherZ
    I know we're going off on a slight tangent here, but I have faith in Tesla to do the right thing for Liz and everyone who has a model S.

    Here's an example... I've mentioned that upon delivery, my GPS antenna was not working. The ranger came out to my home and unhooked the antenna from the harness in front and connected a new antenna, and it began working. This means that either part of the car's wiring harness has a loose connection, or the GPS antenna was unconnected or defective.

    Now, here's the kicker: the GPS antenna is only accessible by removing the rear liftgate glass, which may need to be broken in order to get it loose. Does that entitle me to a new car? Liz mentioned she was told it was the fascia between windshield and top.

    My view: get written assurance it's not structural, have them repair it to your satisfaction, then expect a few goodies to be thrown in, like a license plate frame.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    Discoducky
    Yes, this is thru TM so nothing changes. TM is contracting with the 3rd party and not the owner.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    UMD86
    I'm getting a little concerned with these "QUALITY" issues. Tesla needs to increase their inspections of cars coming off the production line. I know they were trying to meet EOY guidance but I thought ELON's Number ONE Goal is QUALITY.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    Liz G
    To be fair, my issue is not a quality issue. While Tesla is still responsible to fix problems introduced during transit, we really can't call them quality issues. I've been in contact with a friend of mine in the car business and he told me it is not uncommon for cars to arrive at a dealership with scuffs, dents, etc. They just fix them before the car gets put on the lot.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    wstuff
    UMD86 where did you start reading this thread, I'm afraid you will have to go stand in the corner, I'm MAKING YOUR HAT !
  • Jan 12, 2013
    CanuckS#69
    Discount car? I'd take another even with the salvage title for the right price. :)
  • Jan 12, 2013
    brianman
    Does the HAT have a Tesla or TMC logo on it? If so, I'll take one too.

    On a very loosely related note, if TMC offered merchandise I'd likely buy a hat and a t-shirt unless they were overpriced.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    wstuff
    No Brianman, i do have tesla hats and shirts but the HAT I'm making for UMD86 only has one letter, It's a very special hat.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    dsm363
    Can we tone it down a little please? Thanks.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    adelman
    I had a friend who a brand-new car that was hit in an accident. The perp's insurance company want to repair it, he wanted a new car. My advise to him?

    Tell the transport company (or their insurance company) that you paid for a brand-new no-damage-history car to be delivered. If they want to fix it, fine, but that won't make you whole again. Explain that you plan on selling it immediately with a full disclosure as to the damage and filling an additional claim against them for (1) the difference between the cost of replacing the car (gross cost, including any taxes) and what you receive for the new car, and (2) you will try to rent/lease a Model S on the free market until the new car is built and expect them to pay for that cost. Since there isn't much of a market yet for such leased cars, I'm sure it will take an astronomical price to "pry" one loose from another private owner. Perhaps they'd consider renting their "nearly new" car to you until your new one is built for a reasonable per-mile charge.

    It worked. They "totaled" the car and wrote him a check to pay for a new one.
  • Jan 12, 2013
    MikeK
    First things first: Liz, I really feel for you. So sorry for the upset. And, GeorgeB, you're a class act. I hope I can shake your hand in person at some point!

    Now. I had to have a repair made to my panoramic roof the first week I had the car -- the little pin that pushes the windscreen down slipped off the ramp that it rides on, and the next time the roof opened, the pin was under the ramp, so it broke the plastic ramp piece of the windscreen. I suspect the ramp was misaligned or missing a spacer or something because it doesn't seem like the pin can come off the ramp as it is installed now.

    Anyway, that's just background to say this: in order to replace the windscreen, they had to remove the black painted strips on both sides of the roof, and evidently these are not designed to be reinstalled, so they were replaced.

    If the fascia above the windshield is a similar piece, it should be a very simple repair that I personally wouldn't worry about at all.

    The critical question is: why is the windshield cracked? If the same part of the truck that hit the roof also hit the glass directly, then chances are good that there's no underlying damage to structure. If anything flexed and caused the windshield to crack, well, I'd be pretty nervous about that.
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Martini
    I'm surprised so many people here think this warrants a whole new car. I think in the long run Tesla will have to give up on the idea of individual delivery and have people only collect cars at service centres or the factory. Too many variables out of their control otherwise.
  • Jan 13, 2013
    PeterW
    Then why don't they put themselves back in control. Purchase their own fleet of trucks and deliver the cars themselves, especially in the US.
  • Jan 13, 2013
    jerry33
    1. We are mostly hearing about problems, what we don't have the number of cars that have been delivered without body damage. Is it 1%, 0.5%, 3%? No way to know. It's expensive to run a trucking fleet and Telsa would be new to it.

    2. Once the delivery process gets ironed out, most cars will go to a service centre before being delivered. This will allow a pre-check rather than the Christmas rush method of direct delivery (other than places such as TX anyway).

    3. Even if they had their own fleet, damages would still happen.

    4. I wouldn't expect Tesla to have their own fleet until they have enough volume to warrant one. Sometime after GENIII goes into production.
  • Jan 13, 2013
    dsm363
    If Tesla did their own deliveries then at least they might be able to tell you where the truck with your car was though. That would be an improvement.
  • Jan 13, 2013
    NigelM
    Short explanation: Here in the U.S. car repairs are recorded against the VIN. If you sell a car that has been repaired the buyer can easily check and you'll get a lower price versus a car that has never needed damage repair.
  • Jan 13, 2013
    PeterW
    1. I agree we do not know the percentage of car that recieve damage during the delivery process, you always hear about the bad stuff.
    Yes it is expensive to run a trucking fleet and yes, Tesla would be new to it. The same argument could be put regarding owning their own stores. It cuts out another middle man who wants to make a profit.

    2. Maybe.

    3. True, damages would still happen. Ownership is potentially better in this regard, I believe there would be less.

    4. They could start with a small fleet and build on that. I would think if they were looking at this then they should have something up and running before GENIII goes into production
  • Jan 13, 2013
    jerry33
    I don't know if you've ever been involved in the trucking industry, but a trucking fleet is far more expensive than stores to set up and operate. True, it's not as expensive as opening up a new car manufacturing facility but it has the same logistical nightmare of setting up service facilities (I doubt you'd want the Tesla service centres to also be servicing 18 wheelers) dealing with permits in each state, etc.
  • Jan 13, 2013
    mknox
    Ditto in Canada. I know someone who bought a brand new car at a discount because carrier damage was recorded and the dealer couldn't "hide" the fact that body work had been done. (They were happy to get the deal because they were confident the repairs were done right). It does affect re-sale or trade in value when these facts are disclosed as well.

    Now, I was thinking about this in the context of the normal dealer model vs. Tesla's direct sales model. In the dealer model, the end consumer doesn't own the car until they drive it off the lot, and can refuse delivery or negotiate a discount when prior damage is disclosed. In the case of Tesla, I believe ownership transfers when the car leaves the factory (am I correct?), and shipping damage is to a car you already own, so the options for recourse may not be the same.
  • Jan 13, 2013
    jerry33
    That is true for a direct shipment. It's not true for delivery by a delivery specialist or store. In those cases ownership transfer takes place on delivery. The before-year-end rush had a lot more direct deliveries than normal.
  • Jan 13, 2013
    mknox
    Thanks. I plan to take delivery at the Service Center near my home. One of my "checklist" items will be to get a disclosure that no shipping damage or repairs were done before I accept delivery.
  • Jan 13, 2013
    mcornwell
    I'm not sure if the local Tesla folks will be willing to sign that. You will probably want to have that disclosure in corporates hands to review well before your pick-up date.
  • Jan 14, 2013
    Martini
    Tesla have proven themselves to be real champs at vertical integration, but this might be a bridge too far. Think about the return on investment of their limited capital with respect to the choice between buying a fleet of trucks or investing in building and designing electric vehicles. It is generally true that companies should keep a strong focus on their core business and contract out all the peripheral stuff. As they build out their service network, it seems reasonable that a larger share of deliveries will be made through service centres, and that is probably a good thing. They may introduce an additional charge for home delivery to further discourage the practice.
  • Jan 14, 2013
    yobigd20
    I was going to say I would push for option #3, rejecting the delivery and demanding a new vehicle. The amount of immediate depreciation that would be caused by repair work would be far greater than 10% IMHO, which is not fair whatsoever, then I saw GB's response. Awesome! Happy to see Tesla is taking care of it's customers. I'm curious to know what actually happened. I don't know how you can have a "dented roof" when it's mostly pano. Could it have actually shattered? Yikes. Anywho, I hope they put your new car at the top of the list. I don't mind if I'm pushed back 1 car to make sure your priority and get your's first. You deserve it :)

    Oh, and I hope either that carrier isn't used anymore or that driver gets fired if it was shown to be his fault. It sounds like there's been a few carrier issues recently, between the hydraulics failing in one (thus all the Tesla's being stuck in the carrier and not able to be unloaded), chips in paint because car covers weren't used in another, and now this.... I think there needs to be better standards here to ensure all of our Tesla's arrive in pristine condition! I understand accidents happen every now and then but it seems like a few too many to me.
  • Jan 14, 2013
    Electric1
    There is something in between the apparently disorganized process that is the experience of SOME with the current contractor (UPS?) and TM "buying a fleet of trucks" and that is to bring the logistics component back in house by hiring some Tesla quality logistics people. UPS (if they are the contractor) does some things very well (such as delivering packages to my business) and some things very poorly (ever try to ship a package "retail" with them at one of their counters (not a second party franchise "UPS STORE"). The experience is horrible compared to Fedex). IMHO Tesla should either hold their contractor to a 5 9's level of service, get another contractor or do it themselves before the less dedicated start getting deliveries.
  • Jan 14, 2013
    jerry33
    My guess is that there is a limited choice of contractors in this field.
  • Jan 14, 2013
    Electric1
    As a car collector who goes to a lot of big shows, with dozens of very expensive and rare cars shipped from everywhere, and with significant competition among a number of carriers, I expect that not only is there enough capacity out there if someone goes looking for it, but that there is likely competitive pricing. Remember, many of these are the guys that UPS is using who are delivering many cars successfully for TM. It is just a matter of having appropriate logistics people weed out the bad ones and keep tract of things. Perhaps a little personal attention to the delivery of our bespoke cars, rather than having them on a list with someone's backhoe and another's nuclear reactor parts.
  • Jan 15, 2013
    jerry33
    I don't need the backhoe but the nuclear reactor parts might come in handy.
  • Jan 18, 2013
    swegman
    What was the resolution to this incident? I don't recall seeing that.

    On a related matter, i received a communication from Tesla today that if you take delivery from a Tesla store, ownership (and hence risk of lose/damage) does not transfer to the purchaser until the purchaser inspects the vehicle at the store, completes the paperwork, pays and "drives off the lot" (as they put it). I've opted for store pickup to avoid any possible problems.
  • Jan 18, 2013
    jerry33
    That works in areas where it can be done. Unfortunately, that's not everywhere.
  • Jan 18, 2013
    swegman
    I happen to be lucky; 20-25 minutes from the DC store, 15 minutes from the Rockville, MD service center, and 15 minutes from the Tysons, VA store that is ready to open as soon as Tesla resolves licensing issues with Fairfax county in VA.
  • Jan 19, 2013
    jchangyy
    Same here, except I live in Santa Clara, CA. 20-30mins from Freemont factory, 5 minutes from Santana Row store, 30 minutes from Menlo Park store and 25 minutes from Palo Alto headquarters. I'm also seeing one Model S on the road almost everyday on my commute. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing....
  • Jan 21, 2013
    Liz G
    I know it's been awhile since I posted but I wanted to make sure this situation was resolved first.

    So my car has now been fixed and Tesla did a really good job. You can't tell where any of the damage was. Obviously the glass was new as was the applique above it. And I have no idea where the paint chip was supposed to be.

    The guys that fixed the windshield though did have some issues with making sure they didn't get the car dirty. There were several smeers and finger prints on the headliner and it looked like something had been spilt or smeered on the leather of the drivers side door. Plus there were numerous scratches in the clear coat, one really aweful looking spot on the applique they replaced that looked like someone tried to rub something off.

    Luckily I'm getting car paint armored and the shop doing the work says they should have no problem getting the surface scratches out before they apply the armor. I will be so happy not to worry about scratches on the car anymore. I'm getting nearly the entire car amored. Tesla's also going to take care of getting the interior cleaned. So things will be fine for the auto show later this week.

    Driving the car, though, makes all those issues seem minor. I only got to drive it to work before it was off to the shop. But that had to be the most enjoyable drive to work I've ever experienced. The acceleration is euphoric. I passed cars just to be able to tromp on it. Felt like a little kid this morning. And the touch screen is just "Wow!". Good thing I'm getting the paint armor done this week. If I'd driven my S much more it would have been hard to give it up long enough to get armored.

    I have seen the future and it's parked in my drive way!

    PS tried to post pictures but my tablet doesn't play well with the forum. If you'd like to see the before and after picture you can find them on the St louis Tesla Group meet up site.
    Saint Louis Tesla Enthusiasts (Saint Louis, MO) - Meetup
  • Jan 21, 2013
    MikeK
    Glad your car is fixed up. Were they able to satisfy you that the damage to the roof was only to the appliqu� and not to any underlying structure?

    There are a few very faint smudges in my headliner, and I wonder if they happened when my sunroof was repaired. I wonder how easy it is to clean. Mine is the woven material, not the Alcantara...
  • Jan 21, 2013
    Liz G
    Mine is the woven stuff too. I'll let you know how well mine got cleaned when I get it back from
    the paint armorer. They're taking care of that as well. One stop shop. And if it looks good I'll find out what they used.
  • Jan 21, 2013
    JakeP
    Please do let us know what they clean with, if it passes muster. I have quite a few smudges, some of them quite pronounced.
  • Jan 21, 2013
    Dborn
    i have said it before and I say it again, George is incredibly responsive!! Amazing service!!
  • Jan 23, 2013
    Liz G
    JakeP
    They used Bluemagic instant no vacuuming carpet stain and spot lifter to clean the headliner. Srayed it on a rag and then wiped the area. For the leather they used Rich Leather claener and conditioner from Meguiars. Seemed to do the trick.
  • Jan 24, 2013
    JakeP
    Thanks so much for the info, LizG!
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét