Thứ Hai, 30 tháng 1, 2017

Tesla charged me $70 to screw on lug nuts part 1

  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    While my car was in for "annual service" (which they did the wrong one anyway, was supposed to be the bigger 50/100k interval service but the service report shows the 62k service performed so they didnt do things like flush battery coolant etc), but besides that was told over the phone that the lug nuts were stripped and I needed new ones and that would cost me $105. I said 'ok' but come to find out later after it was done that 1) it wasn't the threads that were stripped but instead they 'outside socket' part that they said was a little worn and that it was just a little tougher to get on and off. Ok, if I had known that I probably wouldnt have replaced the lug nuts. Then later on when the invoice is mailed to me (which is when I discovered they also didn't do the right service), they charged me an addition $70 LABOR for screwing on the lug nuts. REALLY Tesla??? REALLY?

    not happy

    lugnutslabor.png


    wrong service:
    wrong service.png
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Zextraterrestrial
    doh.
    that's lame. my stock lugs have been 'stripped' for years, good thing I have always had 19"s w/ other lugs on during my service visits

    you were supposed to be in for your 4 yr, right?
    and they did the 5 yr but skipped the 4?
  • Aug 27, 2015
    mknox
    Yikes!

    I've heard two things about Tesla Service: 1) Elon has stated that he does not want Service to be a "profit center" for Tesla and, 2) that the service technicians rate of pay is similar to, if not a bit under what others make at traditional dealerships.

    If this is true, a $70 labor fee to install a set of lug-nuts seems to fly in the face of that.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Father Bill
    Yikes, looks like I am going to have to save a significant amount of money for future service visits after my CPO warranty runs out.... Oh well, I was planning on going on a diet anyway...

    Peace,

    Father Bill
  • Aug 27, 2015
    bhuwan
    This is pretty outrageous.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    hpham007
    Lug nuts are not a wear and tear item. They only strip if they were put on/removed improperly or if the material is inferior/defective. So you basically got gouged for 175 bucks because someone screwed up or the lug nuts were bad in the first place.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    I bought in March 2013.

    23-Sep-2013 @ 23k miles I did my first annual. They performed the 12k service.

    23-Apr-2014 @ 45k miles I did my second annual. They performed the 48k service. This is the big one, flushing battery coolant, brake fluids, etc things that aren't done during the other ones.

    26-Aug-2015 @ 80k miles this was my third annual. I scheduled it as the "50k/100k" service (aka same as the 48k service which was the previous one). The reason was because of the high mileage. In a few weeks I'll be at 95-100k miles at the 1200+mi/wk rate that I'm back to driving which would have been the normal interval. So I wanted all the fluids flushed again now (i'm paying for it, and its the same cost regardless of which service interval you choose to have done) because I don't plan on coming back for another 12 months to do it again. By that time, I'll be around 130-140k miles and which would be WAYYYY over the due interval for flushing these if I didn't do them now. but instead they didnt do this one, they did the 62k mile service so none of these fluids were flushed. That was NOT what I ordered/scheduled.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Panoz
    @yobigd20: that's lots of miles! Running from the law, are we? I haven't seen you on "Cops - Wildest Police Chases" but I'll start looking...
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    they blamed it on the third party tire shop I had my Pirelli's mounted. of course there's no way to prove one way or another. and from looking at the lugs nuts they seemed fine to me so I dunno... again I wouldn't have replaced them knowing that the inside threads were fine.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    hpham007
    It's extremely difficult to strip 20 lug nuts unless the lug nuts were made of bad metal. If you use the wrong sized socket, you'll know on the first one and you wouldn't continue using it on the rest. If you used the correct size socket, you'll break the studs before the nuts will strip. I'm kinda skeptical that they were stripped at all.

    Since they belong to you, did they gave the old lug nuts back to you? Can you posts pictures of them?
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    yes I have all of them. I'll post them later this evening around 5:07pm
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Gizmotoy
    I set an alarm for 5:07p. Better not be late!

    Pretty crazy they charged labor for that. Presumably this lug nut issue was discovered because they had the wheels off anyway. Were they not planning to put your wheels back on?

    That's 0.4hr (24 mins) at our SC's $175/hr rate. That's a stupid long amount of time to install lug nuts in the first place, even if the labor charge itself was warranted (and it wasn't, IMO).
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Chris
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Going to a third party tire place at least in my area is almost a necessity since the service center is very overwhelmed. That shouldn't put you at a disadvantage especially if the nuts were still ok. Mine by the way were replaced by Tesla for free during an annual service
  • Aug 27, 2015
    ItsNotAboutTheMoney
    You have to remember that part (1) is typical Elon Musk deception, where he says something and lets peoples' imaginations run wild.

    Service does prep, warranty work and periodic service. If you consider all of that as Service, you're not realistically going to make a profit on it. So Tesla can fulfill (1) while continuing to gouge. Warranty work is income to franchises but a cost to Tesla.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    yeah they had the wheels off to replace the rear upper control arms which cost me another $950.

    bushings.png

    - - - Updated - - -

    you still under warranty?
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Chris
    @yobigd20 Yes. At 44k miles now and purchased extended warranty as well
  • Aug 27, 2015
    AnOutsider
    Ouch. Maybe extended warranty might not be a bad idea after all :/
  • Aug 27, 2015
    mknox
    That's a good point!


    I had been wondering about this to myself. They would have to cover all of the servicing work, including all the free warranty stuff, somehow.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    trils0n
    Tesla service policies seem so inconsistent. When I switched from 21s to 19s (not warranty work), Tesla gave me free lug nuts (and mounting/balancing/alignment). My 21s had black lug nuts and the standard 19s are obviously silver so it was nice to get matching lug nuts. Didn't even buy the wheels from them, got them from a forum member.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Gizmotoy
    Huh. Wonder if they double-dipped on that labor, or just moved some of the labor from the control arm task to the lug nuts? Probably impossible to tell.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    harry
  • Aug 27, 2015
    mknox
    This is purely anecdotal, but I have been given to understand Tesla is a bit more "generous" with folks who have the pre-paid Service Plan and/or Extended Warranty.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    efusco
    Since they should have been rotating your wheels/tires as part of the service there shouldn't be a second charge for the lug nut 'labor', it was going to have to be done anyway. Definately would want my money back on that at least. Did they give you the old lug nuts? If not, you can complain about that too as I believe they're required to offer them to you. Then you could look to see just how bad they were for yourself and decide if that was a gouge. Hate to see this, seems more and more complaints.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    Update: Tesla contacted me and assured me the correct 100k service was applied and coolants flushed etc but it just shows up on the receipt as 62k.

    Also they are refunding me the $70 labor for the lug nuts.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    efusco
    good to hear!
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    No rotation here, I had the new tires put on by third party shop that morning (255/45R19 Pirelli Cinturado P7 All Season Plus) then drove it straight over to tesla to replace the control arms and do service and alignment.

    Yes I have the old lugs will post pics later.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Zextraterrestrial
    :smile: sweet
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    When tesla called me, they said "all 20 lug nuts were stripped" over the phone. That implied to me the threading inside the lug which I thought would be very bad for the wheels/tires/alignment/dangerous. Obviously the service receipt says "worn" instead and came to find out that it was just the nut on the outside that was "worn". I would not have replaced them if I knew that.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    MacLeodMX
    The OEM lugs are too soft. i switched to this :

    Gorilla Automotive 61147CX Chrome 13/16" (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size) Hex Lug Nut, (Pack of 4)

    (on amazon)
  • Aug 27, 2015
    jaguar36

    I assume they were responding to a call from you? They didn't just see this thread and call you right?
  • Aug 27, 2015
    MsElectric
    Given that the company is technically not generating a profit the claim of service not being a profit center is more marketing than anything beneficial to customers. They can charge whatever they want and still claim they are not generating profit. As cars go out of warranty what seems to be the case is that a Model S is turning out to be at least as expensive as other high end premium cars to maintain considering the service and repair costs/

    - - - Updated - - -

    This is why I've always found it really odd that they refuse to sell an extended warranty on CPO cars. If we decide to go the CPO route we might opt instead for buying private party for the benefit of a longer warranty period as I don't think we'd want to own a Model S out of warranty.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Gizmotoy
    It wouldn't be the first time. I've received at least 2 (maybe 3) calls from Tesla about something I posted here. On at least one occasion I'm pretty sure I got special treatment because of it ("Corporate says to take care of this, whatever it takes.").

    I'm careful what I say now, especially if something that is corporate's fault can be construed as me having a complaint with my SC. Don't want to get my SC in trouble for something that's not their fault.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    MsElectric
    Our Yogi is a busy Yogi :)

    yogi_basket_run.png
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    i emailed them and called their $70 labor for installing lug nuts "insane". lol i usually don't complain about things but this one was kinda ludicrous.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    mknox
    Me too, and I agree with the sentiment. I've always received outstanding, over the top local service myself and I hope my comments are not seen as "negative" but rather as "constructive criticism" of overall corporate policies.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Chris
    Ditto
  • Aug 27, 2015
    AmpedRealtor
    I would ask them for revised service paperwork showing that you received the correct service.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    mknox
    I've had to ask for corrected paperwork myself. Once they told me they did an alignment but there was nothing on the order. I called really just because I wondered if it was actually done or not and they assured me it was and sent out a new service order. I'm sorta fussy about keeping detailed records on my cars.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    MsElectric
    That's really great to hear. I hope they implemented something SC-wide so that future customers would not be charged like this... It seems whoever decided to charge for this was looking to bill customers for anything they can get away with whether it is reasonable or not...
  • Aug 27, 2015
    linkster
  • Aug 27, 2015
    skboston
    Service is inconsistent so a very simple reason - people working at Tesla SC are coming from other dealerships and simply carry over the policy to gauge customers and that's normal practice to charge for the smallest thing.

    I remember on one of my trucks couple years ago I was charged $285 for a light bulb replacement in the rear stoplight, the bulb itself costs $3-5 depending where you buy it, the rest was unknown to me, obviously the dealership came up with an excuse for the labor charge.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    heh, Chevy tried to charge me $145 to replace a $9 front headlight on a camaro once.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    KidDoc
    The last time I got my tires rotated at the local Discount Tire they said all the nuts on my right side were warped and replaced them. Cost me about $35.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    AWDtsla
    No it's actually quite easy for a shop monkey to do with a impact wrench.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Gizmotoy
    I asked Tesla about this, because I'm now in the habit of asking anyone who touches the wheels on any of my cars to use a torque wrench. They said they "always" use torque wrenches. I suppose they could do removals with a impact wrench, though.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    KidDoc
    Eh I'm fine with just new stronger lug nuts.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    brkaus
    I had my M3 into BMW dealer for over $2k worth of brake work.

    Asked about replacing the broken center cup holder. The one that simply snaps in with a slight squeeze on the side.

    They wanted $80 labor (30 minutes) plus the $30 for the part.

    The service rep wouldn't even just leave it on the seat. Had to wait in a second line picking up the car for parts.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Lloyd
    To remove 20 lug nuts and replace and retorque to specs should take about 1/2 hour. Their labor rate is high but this seems billed correctly.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Cyclone
    I also do not want to get my SvC in trouble for stuff like this as, personally at least, it feels to me as bad "policies" given to the SvC rather than the SvC itself. That said, I do not have the impression they get told "Corporate says to take care of this, whatever it takes", b/c then I'd be a happy camper at this point!
  • Aug 27, 2015
    apacheguy
    $105 is what I was charged for new lug nuts. $70 labor should be deducted as this is included in annual service.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    davidc18
    why were the control arms not covered under warranty?

  • Aug 27, 2015
    Cyclone
    The Op is a high-mileage driver and is out of warranty.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    ProSkeptic
    Super... that still doesn't explain being charged $70 for literally three minutes of labor.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Cyclone
    Mistake in all likelihood. If they weren't also removing the tires for the other service work, he would have been charged 24 minutes @ $175/hr (= $70) for that work. But he has since been refunded the $70.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Max*

    He was refunded the labor cost, not the parts cost.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    a00842e3f8d361c51a197c0098a528f9.jpg

    0de0c8e019ad38e98a1f3bca4ffad930.jpg

    48420e8e48192ee2d944234e957ee2e0.jpg

    ad5908a09854930474052408e8932f72.jpg

    0793000acc8e5c006bc8c15e866f1382.jpg
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Cyclone
    I concur with you yobigd. If I know that was the "damage", I wouldn't have bothered replacing them.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    skboston
    Chevy was the one that did it to me :)

    These look absolutely fine nuts to me...
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Gizmotoy
    Hey, you were late! But you delivered, so you get a pass. :biggrin:

    Wow, those are in much better shape than I was picturing. Some of the corners are slightly rounded, but I'd be pretty surprised if those slipped much in a socket. Kind of looks like someone used a 12 point socket on them and just rounded the edges a bit.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Zextraterrestrial
    are those the new lugs?
    wow, my old lugs are TRASHED compared to that!
    they work fine but the black rubberized coating is all chewed up and it takes a bit of tapping to get my socket on...use a hex and not a star that 'almost' fits

    are those in the picture the old style or newer that has caps?
  • Aug 27, 2015
    hpham007
    Those are definitely not stripped or even close to that definition. Can't tell if some are distorted though. If they are, then the metal is poor and I wouldn't pay $105 to put the same crap back on. You can get hardened steel lug bolts for less than $50.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    These are the lugs they said were all worn and damaged.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    hipringles
    Remind me to never go to your SC.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    S'toon
    I looked at a service bill Mercedes gave me once when I had my car in for repairs. They charged me $60 to tighten a bolt, among other things.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    gimmi80
    Definitely. What Service center was it?
  • Aug 27, 2015
    AWDtsla
    .4 hours sounds about right to me. Also you didn't bother taking pictures of the threads?????? You'd have to be an idiot to "strip" the outside of the lug.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    The inside treads are fine. They said it was the outside part that was worn.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    yobigd20
    Springfield NJ. Usually this place is great minus this lug nut issue....
  • Aug 27, 2015
    jerry33
    The problem is that the bolts aren't solid, there is a cap over them that is easily damaged.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    brucet999
    I've just got to share my off-topic lug nut story.

    I attended a NASCAR event at California Speedway some years ago and had an all-access pass. On the last day of qualifying I was in the pits area and saw a guy approach one of the pits and talk to someone in coveralls covered with corporate decals. Coveralls-guy handed the fan something and I saw him walk away with hands cupped, a look of joy on his face as if he had been handed a fragment of the True Cross. I said, "What have you got there?", and he said excitedly, "Lug nuts from Jeff Gordon's car!".

    That's when I understood why NASCAR is a money machine.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Thumper
    Old timers on the forum will remember that in 2013 I said that the chrome clad nuts would fail. I have had many years of experience with chrome clad nuts. After a few on-off cycles the sheet metal cladding deforms and if left for a few more cycles, eventually peels off. The remaining steel core is now an oddball size, neither metric nor English. No socket fits it correctly and it can round off completely. The only real solution to prevent this, is chrome PLATED lug nuts. If I could find the correct size and cone side shape, I would buy some. These can last for years and years. Careful torquing by hand with a proper fitting 6 point socket can help but clad nuts are an abomination.
  • Aug 27, 2015
    Cyclone
    What about these? In one thread today I someone mentioned these and saved them on my Amazon account just in case.
    Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 61147CX Chrome 13/16 (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size) Hex Lug Nut, (Pack of 4): Automotive
  • Aug 27, 2015
    bollar
  • Aug 28, 2015
    taurusking
    Did Tesla reimburse $70 after the call?

    I hope so or at least partial credit?
  • Aug 28, 2015
    yobigd20
    They said so. I haven't checked my CC yet and they never sent an updated service invoice.
  • Aug 28, 2015
    Wheels of Steel
    Can you keep us updated on the outcome?
  • Aug 28, 2015
    MrJones390
    could'a bought 2 of these

    Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 4.02.02 PM.png
  • Aug 29, 2015
    TaoJones
    To clarify, had the OP purchased the ESA for $4,000 for miles 50,001-100,000, the almost-$1,000 in suspension work would have been covered, and he would then be out of ESA in a few weeks and on his own anyway, yes?

    Sounds like he's $3,000 to the good, then. Which is to say self-insured for the duration now. Rather scary prospect with these cars, between the decidedly average reliability and the decidedly inconsistent SvC experiences.

    As one of the ones with an as-yet unresolved service issue, i am really starting to regret Jerome's departure from his clearly vital and needed role. But hey, if anyone's earned an extended LOA, it's him, and more power to him.

    And yeah, those lug nuts are just fine. Until they aren't - and they aren't aren't yet, clearly.

    In a vacuum, maybe $70 has merit. But in the face of $1,000 in customer-paid work for which the wheels would indeed have to go back on the car *shakes head*, that's just... someone not thinking. Glad it was reversed but the poor communication continues - how does the OP *know* that fluids were flushed? Taking the word of that same SvC (that made multiple errors) into an out of warranty condition is just short of unacceptable. Fortunately, this experience sounds like the exception and not the rule, so there's some peace of mind there at least.

    Now it's just a matter of budgeting for future annual services, tires, and suspension parts and labor as time passes. I'd like to believe that aside from those concerns, the car will last hundreds of thousands of miles more yet. In fact, it appears that the OP may have the first or one of the first quarter-million mile Model S worldwide soon. Well, "soon". :)
  • Aug 29, 2015
    artsci
    As a number of people have pointed out, we've been through this lug nut issue many times before. There are several good threads on the topic.

    Tesla lugnuts

    The lug nuts supplied with the 21" wheels have chrome caps that are easily prone to deformation and become can become a major problem. I replaced mine with the Gorilla lug nuts the first time I saw any deformation. You don't have to be a junkie DIY owner to know how to remove, replace, and torque lug nuts. A good torque wrench is a very good investment. IMHO every owner should have one.

    - - - Updated - - -

    As a number of people have pointed out, we've been through this lug nut issue may times before. There are several good threads on the topic.

    Tesla lugnuts

    The lug nuts supplied with the 21" wheels have chrome caps that are easily prone to deformation and become can become a major problem. I replaced mine with the Gorilla lug nuts the first time I saw any deformation. You don't have to be a junkie DIY owner to know how to remove, replace, and torque lug nuts. A good torque wrench is a very good investment. IMHO every owner should have one.
  • Aug 29, 2015
    Cyclone
    I've never had a torque wrench before, but I'm not opposed if anybody has any inclination towards a decent (no need to be top end) one. I've changed tires on previous cars to spares, but only went to very finger tight, not to any specific rating.

    And artsci, are you talking about the 21s because that is what you know (and have), or are the 21" and 19" lug nuts different. I have standard 19s on my car.
  • Aug 29, 2015
    MsElectric
    Are the 19" wheels shipped with more durable lug nuts?
  • Aug 29, 2015
    jerry33
    That would be a "No".
  • Aug 29, 2015
    roblab
    I ordered Gorilla lug nuts for my OEM 19" wheels, cost about $60 for the set, really like them, ordered them again yesterday for my new Tesla. Solid steel, good looking, heavy chrome. I recommend them. They were researched on this forum:

    Gorilla Automotive 61147CX Chrome 13/16" (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size) Hex Lug Nut, (Pack of 4). Free shipping from Amazon!
  • Aug 29, 2015
    KenN
    Sorry, but I can't let this one pass. As someone who swaps and rotates wheels twice a year (winter/summer and vice versa), I can assure you there's no way removing, replacing and torquing 20 lug nut is a 3 minute job. I have a breaker bar, impact wrench and a torque wrench for the job and it is minimum a minute per nut. So you're looking at 20 minutes best case, but probably closer to 1/2 hour with a realistic work flow.
  • Aug 29, 2015
    Andyw2100
    I must have missed seeing that you were getting a new Tesla. Congrats! What are you getting?

    Edit: Also just wondering what the benefit of getting the new lug nuts before the ones that come with the car are worn is? That's a serious question, not in any way a criticism. Having read this thread, I've already added those lug nuts to my Amazon "wishlist" for the time that Tesla tells me I need to purchase new lug nuts. I'm just wondering if there's a reason I should purchase them now, and have them installed when I switch to the winter wheels, rather than wait.

    Edit 2: Thinking more about it, is the Tesla SC going to tell me they won't install those lug nuts because they aren't a Tesla part?



    I certainly understand your taking issue with the poster who said it was "three minutes of labor."

    I think the real issue, though, is that the OP was already paying to take the wheels off in the labor for the other service being provided. The wheels were going to have to be put back on, either with the old lug nuts or with the new lug nuts. It's not as if the job was going to take longer because the new lug nuts were used. So there really was no justification for the additional charge, and it was, appropriately, taken off the bill, retroactively.
  • Aug 29, 2015
    siucity
    I've yet to rotate my tires, and I can imagine it would take 1/2 hour if I took my time and that 1/2 hour included jacking up the car. But in this case, it appears the $70 charge was just the labor to replace the lug nuts. No way that is 20 minutes worth. With an impact wrench and a torque wrench, even I can get all 20 on correctly in way less than 20 minutes.
  • Aug 29, 2015
    artsci
    I have 21"s, 20"s, and 19"s, although now that I have the 20"s the 19"s are in storage. The lug nuts for the 19"s also fit the 20"s and they have none of the problems of Tesla's 21"s. The 21"s work only with the 21" Tesla wheels.
  • Aug 29, 2015
    jaguar36
    If you're doing this professionally you wouldn't be using a torque wrench, you'd be using a torque stick on a good impact wrench.

    Its all really irrelevant though, $70 when they had wheels off is ridiculous. The fact that he was charged anything for something that was clearly faulty and not even an issue to begin with is also ridiculous.

    I can only hope these are just growing pains.
  • Aug 29, 2015
    artsci
    The professionals I know all use torque wrenches. The impact wrench is used to tighten down and the torque wrench for the final tightening by hand.
  • Aug 29, 2015
    jerry33
    I certainly hope not. There really is no such thing as an accurate torque stick. An impact wrench is, as Artsci says, only for the initial tightening to speed up the process. Final tightening should be done with a real torque wrench. Ideally, the manual tightening is done in two steps, but I don't know of any shop that does it that way.
  • Aug 29, 2015
    artsci
    One tightens with the torque wrench starting with lug nuts in opposite positions then rechecks each one a second time. That's the professional standard.
  • Aug 29, 2015
    Canuck
    A well-know tire shop in Western Canada, has you come back after 100 - 150km to re-torque the tires:

    Why Re-torque? The Importance of Retorquing

    The thread title should probably be updated read: Tesla charged (then refunded) me $70 to screw on lug nuts
  • Aug 29, 2015
    ElectricLove
    Tesla is proving that they NEED 3rd party access to service documents, they cannot and should not be trusted with the service needs of all their vehicles. They are selling more vehicles than they can reasonably service and their systems in place are not functional in a way that works for owners outside of warranty services. They are missing the boat and I know they are trying to keep tight control on their vehicles but with time that needs to stop, they can't be the only option for servicing our cars.

    I just accepted an offer on my Roadster for this exact reason and have heard story after story similar to this... How about a $2,000 bill for replacing a cooling fan? How is a company going to sustain the market-share growth they are predicted/hoping to accomplish if they are wasting their time with trying to be the all-in-one service shop for every vehicle they sell? They can't and won't build enough service centers fast enough to do that and their current operations cost must be so high that they can't accomplish service at a reasonable price point either.

    They need 3rd parties stepping in, the company I work for is trying to do this (softly trying as a side-project, not a focus of business at all, yet...) with the power control modules, chargers and batteries...
  • Aug 29, 2015
    EdA
    How do the lug nuts get worn anyway?
    Is it from removing them twice a year and swapping the snow tires?
    I had my annual service (got the car back this morning) and I had
    my lug nuts replaced at 48,000 miles. Do we need another poll?
  • Aug 30, 2015
    MsElectric
    It is still to early to see how the cost of out of warranty repairs will play out over time. Hopefully they will charge reasonable costs for repairs that are not excessive or offer comprehensive warranty options at a reasonable cost without per issue deductibles.

    If (and we don't have enough data to establish a pattern yet) the out of warranty repairs end up being extremely expensive it will decimate resale values as no one would want to then own one of these cars out of warranty. The cost of maintaining and repairing a Model S out of warranty will have the single greatest bearing on the resale value of these cars as they go out of warranty...

    - - - Updated - - -

    I don't think I've ever replaced lug nuts in any of our cars... Some have suggested the type of lug nuts used have a less durable coating and that they have replaced them with more durables lug nuts for that reason...
  • Aug 30, 2015
    hpham007
    Tesla using substandard lug nuts is the reason. Charging customers $100 because their original substandard lug nuts failed and replacing it with the exact same crap is even more outrageous.
  • Aug 30, 2015
    jaguar36
    Immediately 'rechecking' with a torque wrench will over torque the nuts and is not the proper way to do it. With a torque wrench you do it once and are done. Course we are talking about car lug nuts here, doing it again isn't going to hurt them, and most torque wrenches being used by a car mechanic aren't going to be super accurate anyway.

    A high quality torque stick (like a snap-on) on an impact wrench is going to be plenty accurate for a lug nut. Course you should still be starting the nuts by hand, throwing them on with an impact wrench is a good way to cross thread them.

    As Canuck mentions you should also be re-torqueing them after a couple miles, but nobody I know bothers with that.
  • Aug 31, 2015
    mknox
    That's how I do it, then again after a few miles of driving.
  • Sep 4, 2015
    linkster
    +1 (and I thought I was the only crazy one who used this technique)

    I perform all my tire rotations on every car I own including the 54K mile P85 so I that can inspect the condition of each tire and to help determine the next rotation schedule and alignment settings best suited for proper service life.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét