Thứ Ba, 31 tháng 1, 2017

Chrysler 200 - What I think Model 3 should look like. part 1

  • Jan 15, 2015
    ratsbew
    Every time I see a new Chrysler 200 on the road, I think to myself "THAT'S what a Model 3 should look like!". Obviously somewhat different, but the basic design looks very electric. Am I the only one?
    2015-200C.jpg
    2015chrysler200c04.jpg
  • Jan 15, 2015
    TEG
    I think Tesla has in mind something a lot less "conventional" than that.
  • Jan 16, 2015
    bluenation
    the new 200 is a seriously good looking car. after the fugly disappointment that is the new charger look, this is possibly the company's best looking sedan.

    ...but it's still pretty conservative, button down look.
  • Jan 16, 2015
    SwedishAdvocate
    mazda3.jpg

    I think the Mazda 3 has a better looking front.
  • Jan 16, 2015
    TEG
  • Jan 16, 2015
    GregRF
    I agree that its a good looking car. Rear end taper even looks like it may be pretty aero. Don't understand why they went with a conventional trunk over a open hatch area though.

    I think the model 3 will be a bit more unconventional as well.
  • Jan 16, 2015
    bluenation
    the sonata resembles the new legacy, not the 200. they both look amazing too

    and yes, the new mazda kodo stuff looks incroyable

    honestly, most current gen cars are so 180 degrees from their prev gens in terms of looks, and thats a great thing.
  • Jan 16, 2015
    Trev Page
    I always liked the new Kia Optima sedan's overall looks. At a distance from the rear it reminds me of a Model S. In any case, I think the size would be perfect for Model 3.
  • Jan 16, 2015
    aronth5
    Chrysler 200 is boring. The Model 3 needs to stand out in a crowd and I fully expect it will.
  • Jan 16, 2015
    roblab
    Yeah, all these have that largish "radiator" opening in front, quite necessary for all that waste heat from the 18% efficient gas engine. Who cares about aerodynamics (Model S most aerodynamic production car in existence right now)? Yes. Model 3 will be less "conventional".
  • Jan 16, 2015
    omarsultan
    Agreed, now that Tesla has established themselves and their desirability with the MS/MX I think they have the freedom to make a statement with the M3.
  • Jan 16, 2015
    ecarfan
    The challenge is to not come up with a design that is too radical and would be rejected by a significant faction of the target market.

    Humans often resist change, even if the change has a rational basis and provides benefits. The Model 3 design has to provoke a strongly positive first reaction. It can't be too radical, but it does have to be distinctive, in a good way. It's a tricky balance.
  • Jan 17, 2015
    gregincal
    I don't care as much about conventional or not, but the Chrysler 200 is much closer in size to a Model S than a BMW 3 series. Therefore not really a good point of comparison.
  • Jan 19, 2015
    Jaff
    Plus, the 200 is butt ugly & boring...when I first saw that pic, I thought it was a Coda!


  • Jan 19, 2015
    RobStark
    merc-cla.jpg


    This Mercedes CLS has claims of Cd between .22 and .24. Model is .24

    In any event; grills,nosecones, faux grills should be eliminated.

    Model 3 should wear its EVness as a badge of honor.



    vw-xl1.jpg


    The VW XL1 claims a Cd of .19
  • Jan 19, 2015
    ecarfan
    I wouldn't mind the Model 3 having doors similar to that VW XL1 but it probably won't happen because of the additional cost.
  • Jan 19, 2015
    RobStark
    I don't think Model 3 will come with unconventional doors either due to price but that sleek front end of the XL1 is a possible design direction.

    Here is the prototype of Jaguar's 2017 3 Series fighter the XE. Mostly aluminum, RWD with AWD optional.

    2017-jaguar-xe-sports-sedan-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-629788-s-original.jpg
  • Feb 2, 2015
    SamusAranX
    Can't go wrong copying Mazda. (I'm biased though)
  • Feb 2, 2015
    Grendal
    The Mazda does have nice lines but the large grill needs to go. The Model 3 will have little need for it and that would give Franz some room to play and create a unique and hopefully sporty beautiful look.

    All the cars shown are somewhat similar except the XL-1. I disagree with Rob that the 3 should wear its EV-ness as a badge of courage. I want Tesla to succeed and sell 500,000 cars a year. They will not do that with something too strange and different from what people are used to.

    Sorry Rob. And understand that I came here from wanting an Aptera. So lightweight and ultra efficient is where my heart sits. I just know that will not draw in the worldwide mass market.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    AustinPowers
    Funny, that one looks almost exactly like the current 3-series/4-series, apart from the grill. Bit lame, trying to fight something by trying to look exactly like it. Not saying that this Jag isn't a nice looking car though.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    GregRF
  • Feb 12, 2015
    JRP3

    The Prius was quite successful in spite of it's odd looks, because it presented exceptional efficiency. Not that I expect the 3 to be odd looking, but it can be different and still sell quite well.
  • Feb 16, 2015
    tdelta1000
    The new 200 is nice but I like this design over the 200.
    fra-me-seat-concept-09_653.jpg
  • Oct 9, 2015
    dimikfx
    Chrysler 200 is boring.
  • Oct 9, 2015
    techmaven
    I am hoping they start with this Lotus concept:
    2010_lotus_elite_concept-1920x1200.jpg
  • Oct 9, 2015
    Twiglett
    The detail that lets all of those designs down is the nose.
    The gaping great holes they stick on the front for radiators are pointless on an EV.
    Current car design language seems to love a grille up front - the Model S has a fake one for goodness sake.
    There doesn't seem to be a good way to get around it in current car design, so I think that is where Tesla will go unconventional.
  • Oct 9, 2015
    electracity
    I don't know how they could get that hood on a five passenger smallish EV. Most people's best looking car is probably a two door that is not particularly space efficient. Tesla seems to be years away from that kind of design.

    I think the current Jaguar F-type is a great looking car. But I don't know what that design offers the model 3.
  • Oct 9, 2015
    Bangor Bob
    I think it's actually a little depressing that FCA's US design team started with an Alfa Romeo Giulietta and 200 was the best they could do.
  • Oct 9, 2015
    Mad Hungarian
    The car that has most often been referenced as the target - at least from what I recall seeing - is the BMW 3 series. That car and its immediate competitors, the Audi A4 and MB C-class, are only ever updated in a very evolutionary fashion precisely because this market is pretty fickle and different-for-the-sake-of-different doesn't do well. Witness the Bangle design era at BMW... they went out on a limb with the 5/6/7 series, got hell for it then had to fix them, but the 3 continued on with much more subtle updates and fared much better. The other problem is that in order for the Model 3 to really hit the widest mark it's also going to need a spacious, functional cabin and keep gimmicks like weird doors and associated hardware to a minimum for cost.
    At the end of the day this all dictates some kind of relatively conventional 4-door sedan, hatchback or wagon, and if a CUV is offered like planned then I suspect a wagon is out.
    I'm just hoping that they resist the urge to put in a lot of unnecessary lines/creases/bulges to give it "character", as I find that stuff doesn't age well. The most enduring and attractive shapes from the last fifty years have been simple, well proportioned, flowing curves. That's why I'd be more than happy with a scaled-down MS. I don't care that people say it's derivative of Jag, Maserati or whatever; it's super aerodynamic, space efficient, looks fabulous and still will in 10 or 20 years. The other thing not to be overlooked is that the MS has become an object of desire for a looootttt of folks (me included) and they'd be crazy not to at least keep some of that same allure in the "people's" version.
  • Oct 9, 2015
    Big-T
    I just hope making a statement doesn't equate to this motoring-graphics-2_842471a.jpg
  • Oct 9, 2015
    S'toon
    No weirdmobiles to "stand out from the crowd," and no gimmicks, thank you. Somehow conventional car makers think that making EVs look weird and ugly is a good thing.
  • Oct 9, 2015
    ProphetM
    IMO it's likely that the weirdest thing about the Model 3 will be the lack of a grille. I think Tesla made a very good decision in dropping the faux grille from the Model X. It gets people used to the design language that they will be using going forward, and more importantly it makes clear that the lack of grille on the Model 3 is not a cost-saving measure. After the reveal, one of the biggest questions from pretty much everyone will be, 'how did they get the cost down to $35,000?' In the absense of the Model X, they would look at the clean space on the front - much less complicated than a car with a grille - and the word 'cheap' would inevitably come to mind, along with comparisons to the few cars thus far that didn't have a significant grille, which have mostly been weirdmobiles and econoboxes. The Model X is going to break that association for them in advance.

    In all other respects I expect it to be normal; a good-looking car with similarities to the S, but not adventurous. I think they should stick with the shiny chrome door handles as a distinctive component of their design language, but I have no solid guess as to what physical form the handles will take. I doubt they'll be like most cars as that would adversely effect aerodynamics. Maybe they'll make them mostly-normal but flush, with openings above and/or below for your hand. They could pop out like the S, or auto-open like the X front doors, but I would think both of those could be needlessly expensive. It's not very clear what the X rear doors do - are they just touch panels? There are many possibilities, and it's not clear what would be the most cost-effective. I don't want to assume that a full mechanical linkage like a regular car is automatically the cheapest way to go.
  • Oct 10, 2015
    Candleflame

    Well, now that Tesla has "mastered" their falcon wing doors the money has already been spent on the RDE. I would not be surprised if 2 falcon wing doors are cheaper to manufacture and install than 4 traditional doors.
  • Oct 10, 2015
    JRP3
    Elon recently clarified that falcon wing doors would be on the Model Y, the SUV/CUV version of the Model 3.
  • Oct 10, 2015
    dgpcolorado
    I guess I'm a minority of one: I don't really care what the Model 3 looks like. I'm solely concerned with range (+ Supercharger access) and interior seating space and utility, which means that I prefer some sort of hatch access. I'd also prefer "simple and reliable" to fancy things, such as falcon-wing doors, that are just more unnecessary gadgets to break and need fixing.

    The rest is all fluff, IMHO.
  • Oct 10, 2015
    Lonnie123
    Im with you. I'm looking for what would essentially be a Tesla Corolla/Civic ... Thats it really. Dont need it to look cool, dont need premium lighting, dont need spinner rims, dont need cooled seats and auto folding mirrors.

    Not knocking anyone who does, but I'm just looking to get "an electric car" - I'd rather them skimp on luxuries and get it to $25k honestly than make it flashy and have it be $35k
  • Oct 10, 2015
    Candleflame
    yeah, well what if the model 3 looks like this?

    1280px-Fiat_Multipla_front_20080825.jpg

    Be very careful what you wish for. ;)
  • Oct 10, 2015
    Lonnie123
    Yikes.That certainly is... Interesting.

    I have enough confidence in the Tesla design team that I realize I can say "I dont care what it looks like" knowing full well they will very likely release an amazing looking car. So I have very little worry it will not be a monstrosity.

    Although short of that monstrosity above, I'd probably buy anything they release.
  • Oct 10, 2015
    TexasEV
    It's a good thing for them. It prevents mainstream car buyers from wanting it, while having something to offer to those who want to buy an EV. The last thing conventional car makers want is for EV sales to take off and cannibalize their line of ICE cars.
  • Oct 10, 2015
    bigbear
    Beautiful!
  • Oct 11, 2015
    ryanjm
    Where did he specifically clarify that? Got a link?
  • Oct 11, 2015
    Lonnie123
  • Oct 11, 2015
    aronth5
    @21:10 starts the reference to the Model Y
  • Oct 11, 2015
    Lonnie123
    Thanks, I didnt have the time to scrub the video and find it
  • Oct 11, 2015
    bigbear
    Does he say anything about the y being 35k?
  • Oct 11, 2015
    aronth5
    Don't believe so. He only mentioned $35k in reference to Model 3.
  • Oct 12, 2015
    ryanjm
    Ah OK, thank you! I hadn't seen that.
  • Oct 12, 2015
    Noneduck
    As someone who remembers that the WhiteStar sedan (ultimately the model S) was supposed to cost $50,000 and be built in Albuquerque, NM, I would take any projection about a falcon-doored Model Y (a designation that Elon reportedly said was a joke to Ford's Allan Mulally) with a grain of salt.
  • Oct 12, 2015
    Lonnie123
    Yup. As a long time follower of Tesla... Take almost anything Elon says with a grain of salt ;-)

    Although at this point the Falcon wings DO exist so the work has already been done... Whether they are seen as a net positive by the buying population remains to be seen. Maybe they find out in a year everyone hates them or they break a lot or whatever. I doubt that will happen, but you never know what happens when you release your stuff into the general population.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    1208
    I've taken a lot of grains of salt from Elon over the years, its piling up.
    Salt-Pile.jpg
  • Oct 23, 2015
    NicholasJB
    My first thought when looking at the pictures posted to this thread (other than the Lotus concept) was "boringmobile". I also can't really tell any of them apart. I think if Tesla continues down this path they're going to lose a lot of excitement.

    I recently got a Model S loaner and brought it home, and the family was excited about the interior. We absolutely loved the quality, the technology, the innovation...but the exterior is another story. My partner's first reaction to the car was to screw up her face and say "it looks like a cheap-*** Acura". My kid walked around the school parking lot for 10 minutes looking for it before I had to get out and track her down; she just couldn't tell it apart from any other cars. Tesla needs to go back to its roots; back to the car that made people accept (heck, made them excited about) electric cars:

    144562546310252.jpg

    That's the car that I drooled over several years before it came out. That's the car that I quit my job to start a business over. That's the car that I saved up for over half a decade to afford. The Model S isn't 'that car', but I'm certainly hoping the Model 3 is for the next generation.

    I know four-door cars are difficult to design with, but not impossible. I may buy a Model 3 regardless of its looks because there aren't many options in the EV market. But if Tesla wants to capture my excitement, and keep my loyalty, I'd really like to see them return the American muscle car of which far too few remain (I'm sure they'll have the acceleration to go with it). What I'd like see:

    Firehawk.jpg
    Camaro.jpg
    Custom Camaro.jpg

    Statistically, converting those of us getting into middle age is not an easy battle. The electric car revolution is going to be won with teenagers and twenty-somethings. And if you can do that while simultaneously tugging at the nostalgia strings in the hearts of us middle-agers, who long for the pony-cars we grew up with, and manage to bridge the generations that way...
  • Oct 23, 2015
    JRP3
    I'm fairly sure you are way off the mark with your design ideas, i.e. not going to happen. The last thing a modern EV should look like is an outdated ICE design. I'd also mention that most people disagree with your impressions of the Model S design.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    Candleflame

    agreed.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    bigbear
    Agreed x 2
  • Oct 23, 2015
    MassModel3
    I can pick a Model S out of a crowd in a blink. I think the S is a very unique looking car and I wouldn't change anything on it externally. Absolutely beautiful!

    Some of those designs presented in the above post are too radical for most people. Remember that the Model 3 is the car that Tesla wants everyone to buy. It certainly won't be shooting for any niche buyers with gimmicky doors or air scoops. Personally, I've never been a fan of muscle cars -- I appreciate them, but I'd never buy one. And that's where I mentally place anything with air scoops over the engine. And yes, they do scream out, "I have a gas engine that needs cooling and/or better air flow to get the most power." Not on the Model 3, thank you.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    tga
    So what should a "modern EV" look like? The Leaf, with its weird, fender-length headlights and fat, ugly butt that looks like someone duct-taped half a 55 gallon drum onto the bumper as an afterthought?

    Why should it look "non-ICEy"? There's nothing about the design of the S that is inherently "EV-ish"

    If the 3 comes out looking like a Leaf/Juke wierdmobile, I'm out. I don't want a car that screams "look at me, I'm driving an EV. I'm better than you!". I trust that it won't, given Elon's past comments about wierdmobiles

    Of course, I don't think I'd own a Camaro/Firebird, either. They may be fun to drive, but they attract way to much unwanted attention from police and teenage boys (especially with the "screaming chicken" hood decal from days of yore).
  • Oct 23, 2015
    Twiglett
    All of those designs have huge radiators, with unneeded scoops and ventilation cutouts.
    EV's need none of those, so designers don't need to use them unless they are trying ape an ICE convention.
    That is what happened with Model S nose cone - its just a pretend radiator grille.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    Model 3
    I think you will get a car from Tesla that will please you, but I don't think that will be TM3 - or TMY - but maybe the Roadster NG or some other niche model they someday will make. Or maybe they will someday deliver a variant of TM3 - "Model 3 Pony Performance" (or just "3 PP" ;) ) as a 2 doors coup�. ;)

    Ps: Personally I would love a design that builds on earlier American muscle cars. But I don't expect it from TM3, and I have to admit that it would not be as practical as it needs to be.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    Candleflame

    not to mention that it's frickin huge compared to other cars. You'd have to be blind to miss it.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    S'toon
    The Model 3 isn't supposed to be a muscle car. That's not the intended target. It's the car for the masses. It's supposed to be a family vehicle. The next generation Roadster is the muscle car. Patience, the next gen. Roadster is coming eventually.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    Kandiru
    +++1, the Optima is a design statement 4 sure.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    JRP3
    Not a fan of the LEAF, it's a weirdmobile, without the benefit of amazing aerodynamics that might justify it's looks.


    The small grill openings are certainly non-ICEy, especially considering many current ICE designs. The fake nose cone was just to keep the car more familiar looking. They got rid of that for the X, and I'll assume they'll do the same for the 3. They need highly efficient aerodynamics to get an affordable EV with sufficient range.


    I don't want a wierdmobile either, but I'd like and expect something distinctive, while being classy, and I expect it to reflect the design opportunities provide by an EV.


    I've always like the Optima as well, and thought that more a streamlined EV version of it would make a nice Model 3.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    bigbear
    mazda-3-sedan.jpg It will look like this, bet me.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    JRP3
    I think Tesla can do better.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    aronth5
    Boring. Agree with JRP3 Tesla can and will do better.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    bigbear
    It has one of the lowest drag coefficients of all cars out today. Didn't the designer of mazda cars become the guy who made the model s?
  • Oct 23, 2015
    EVNow
    Likely the new Leaf concept ...

    18.jpg
  • Oct 23, 2015
    bigbear
    Oh shiznit, that looks cool.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    gavine
    The Chrysler 200 looks just like the Ford Fusion and the latest Toyota Avalon. All nice cars, but quite familiar with each other.

    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
  • Oct 23, 2015
    MassModel3
    Every time I see a Kia Optima I think it would make a great Model 3. Same with the Hyundai Elantra, though it's a bit on the small side. But I really like the design.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    stopcrazypp
    I like the Mazda 3 design, so I wouldn't mind if it looked like that.
  • Oct 23, 2015
    mwulff
    I feel fairly confident in saying that if Tesla designed it like an american muscle car it would have close to zero mass market appeal globally. Of course these cars have fans everywhere, but they are not mass market design.

    I hope they go in the direction of the Mazda 6 with their own unique twist and a design that plays to the strength of an EV. The same goes for the CUV version as well.
  • Oct 24, 2015
    taurusking
    I like Mazda 3 design too...something in those lines with Tesla unique touch would be awesome:wink:
  • Oct 24, 2015
    Discoducky
    It would be amazing if the new Leaf would be on a 'from scratch EV chassis' as radical improvements (like the S) could be achieved. While I like the look those lines will cost Nissan dearly in development and might not appeal to everyone buying the car. I would applaud Nissan though if they went the route of producing a Leaf that looked both beautiful and functional.
  • Oct 24, 2015
    JRP3
    I think it's a safe bet the production vehicle would not look as radical as the concept, they rarely do.
  • Oct 24, 2015
    ratsbew
    One of the main things I want to see from Model 3 is unrivaled aerodynamics. The Model S and X are already exceptionally slippery and I hope that the Model 3 exceeds the 0.23Cd of these cars. 0.20 Cd would be amazing.

    Clean aerodynamics is the single easiest way to hit the 200 real-world miles threshold at $35,000. You can have a smaller and cheaper battery if the Wh/mi is lower.

    I'm a pilot (and a cyclist) so clean aero is something that I have an intuitive feel for.
  • Oct 24, 2015
    S'toon
    Hate it. Doesn't look practical as a family car, and falls into the category of weirdmobile imho.
  • Oct 24, 2015
    RobStark
    Model X and Model S are .24 Cd.

    VW XL1 .19 Cd.

    Seems .20 Cd in visually mass market car is near impossible to do.


    vw-xl1.jpg
  • Oct 24, 2015
    1208
    Then it is confirmed. The 3 will have fender skirts. :biggrin:
  • Oct 24, 2015
    ratsbew
    I think that looks amazing! That style of doors aren't needed for aerodynamics. I'd be okay with an "aero" package that adds wheel pants and other refinements.
  • Oct 24, 2015
    JRP3
    I like it as well, and would be happy if the 3 were similar, though I also know it won't happen. I am hoping for optional fender skirts, if not I'll probably make my own just for fun.
  • Oct 25, 2015
    RobStark
    Another critical aspect for low Cd of the XL1 is a low rock hard suspension with little travel.
  • Oct 25, 2015
    Mad Hungarian
    Yeah, as cool as the XL1 looks it's pretty solid proof that anything in the 0.20 range or better has got to be a near teardrop shape. Fine for a two seater but difficult to pull off when you need to seat five and still have good luggage capacity. That pointy tail isn't going to haul a whole lot. I think the S/X 0.24 number will be tough to beat.

    [?IMG]
  • Oct 26, 2015
    NicholasJB
    Everyone is different and I'd love to see a study on this, as my anecdotal experience (family, friends, co-workers I showed it to last week) has been completely opposite. Any idea if Tesla did any market research like this that's publicly available?


    I disagree. Yearly Camaro and Mustang sales have held steady at around a quarter of a million, approximately the same as they were in the early 2000s when the F-bodies went away. The Model S numbers I've seen usually come in at around 10% of that. Will Tesla really have the production capacity to saturate a market 10x the size of the Model S sales? If not, then they should not have a problem selling a muscle car. And I think an EV that stands out in a positive way in the average person's mind is a lot better than one that blends in. The former speaks to public awareness, and has the potential to shatter common misconceptions: EVs are weird-looking (compared to ICEs), EVs perform poorly, EVs aren't 'sexy'.

    The Roadster made a lot of progress in terms of shattering the public opinion of what limitations EVs had to have at the time. The Model S was a great step forward showing that they can have all the common amenities and features of a classy luxury car, but with the price tag it's still so far out of the reach of the common person I don't think many 'everymans' have taken notice (based on my week driving the S around and talking to people about it). Now Tesla is looking to show that EVs can compete with other cars in the $35k-$50k price range, but that's not actually an 'everyman' car. In fact, that's the range ruled by all current sports cars (Camaro, Mustang, Corvette), designed to stand out in the crowd of lower cost vehicles in middle-class neighborhoods. The actual 'everyman' car (given the $48k median income for Americans) is likely to be closer to a $16k Corolla (heck, the average American can't even afford that), and a fourth generation Tesla in that range is the better choice for a less aggressive design.

    Though I will admit a little personal bias. Another Roadster sounds nice and all, but even though my income puts me at close to the 96th percentile I would have absolutely zero chance of affording one new. And my Roadster, while awesome to own, is terribly inconvenient when going out with the family. That's why my last car was a Mustang instead of a Corvette: four seats. Even when the kids grow up we have a social life and often go out with friends. What we really need is a 2+2 supercar for those who want (and can afford) superior performance and appearance without having to also be able to afford a second car that we hate to drive and the space to garage it, but I'd settle for an electric Camaro.


    Now I think we're getting more into the topic of how much deviation from standard ICE design the public will take, and I think that's going to be a very very slow transition. The Roadster did just fine with scoops and heat extractors in the design. And the truth is the battery does require some cooling, and scoops can play a part in passive cooling.

    And those scoops don't need to be right over the engine, nor are they necessarily needed. There are plenty of other possible design options for making a car look 'sporty'. The Corvette team, for instance, went almost two decades without a single scoop until the newest designs, though they could have used some ground effects and a spoiler (both relevant to EVs).
  • Oct 26, 2015
    JRP3
    Most of the public never saw or had any exposure to the Roadster at the time, nor even knew about Tesla. The Model S is what really moved Tesla into the spotlight, though I'd still bet that a large portion of the public is to this day completely unaware of Tesla.
  • Oct 26, 2015
    gregincal
    First, I think you want a car that the Model 3 is not going to be. It's not going to be a 2 door coupe or sports car, it's going to be a 4 door family sedan. Also, the BMW 3 series sells 400-500K a year (not even counting Audi A4 and Mercedes C class), so I really don't think that the cars you are talking about rule that price range.
  • Oct 26, 2015
    Mad Hungarian
    +1.
    As much as I'd love a sporty coupe there's just no way that's going to happen with the 3 platform on release. It needs to have the widest possible appeal and that by today's definition is some form of sedan, crossover or both. It's also been stated many times over that this car will targeting the BMW 3 series and its rivals (A4, C-Class, etc) which makes a lot of sense as they are also in the $35K to $50K range. So that's what we're going to get.
    A coupe and pickup variant sometime between in 2020 and 2023? Now that I can see.
    As well as a "true" mass market compact in the $20K - $25K range.
  • Oct 26, 2015
    ProphetM
    Do you have a source for those figures? I ask because the totals on Wikipedia are very different. They show Camaros in the range of 80-90k per year, and Mustangs between 130k and 166k early in the new product cycle in 2005-2007, then dropping to a range of 66-83k in the years since then. Mustang and Camaro sales combined totaled 169k in 2014. That pales in comparison to sedans like the Camry (428k), Corolla (339k), and Accord (near 400k). And they sell in large numbers in other markets as well, whereas Camaro and Mustang sales are nearly non-existent outside the USA. The F bodies were discontinued largely because of low sales, and even as they planned the re-introduction of the Camaro they had no plans to bring back the Firebird. The market is not that big.

    It's not really a matter of whether they would have a problem selling one. That's just not the target they're aiming for. A sedan has a much, much bigger potential market and is usable for a much larger pool of buyers. Even considering that it will cost more than a Camry (although a nicely-equipped Camry has an MSRP near $35k), you look at BMW 3 Series sales and they are roughly double those of the Mustang in the US, plus an overseas market that is even larger, with total production around half a million cars. That's where Tesla is aiming. A sports coupe/muscle car is small-time by comparison. I wouldn't expect them to make one until they expand to a full product line, and maybe not even then. The next Roadster will be filling at least part of that segment.

    I am guessing the preorders for the Model 3 will eclipse yearly sales of Mustang and Camaro combined, before it even begins production.
  • Oct 27, 2015
    DavidM
    I bet we're going to see a front grille on the Model 3 that's quite similar to the Model X. The rest of the sedan will probably resemble a Model S (but 20% smaller), with 1/3 less trunk space, and 1/2 the frunk space. It will probably have more of a hatchback look (for headroom in the 2nd row). It could have a similar shape to a Lexus NX.
  • Oct 27, 2015
    favo
    Overall shape is OK, but man there are some ugly styling details on that NX, especially the front grille. Too many pointless bumps and creases.
  • Oct 28, 2015
    synchronicityii
    I've never seen those words together in that order before. I'm betting I never will again.

    The intersection of the "grew up wanting an IROC Z-28" set and the "into electric cars" set feels vanishingly small to me.
  • Oct 28, 2015
    MassModel3
    LOL!

    So "electric Camaro" is what finally drove you to make a first post of your own, eh?
  • Oct 28, 2015
    gregincal
    Lexus NX is a CUV, not a sedan. It doesn't resemble a Model S in any way whatsoever.
  • Oct 29, 2015
    RobStark

    npl-chevrolet-camaro-12v-electric-toy-car-free-shipping-1.gif
  • Oct 29, 2015
    bigbear
    Can you plug that in at the superchargers?
  • Oct 30, 2015
    synchronicityii
    Long-time listener, first-time caller. Love the show.

    I'm a future Tesla owner. Since I don't own a car, and since there are plenty of people who research the company as much as or more than I do, I don't have much to say. But yeah, "electric Camaro" got to me. :smile:
  • Oct 30, 2015
    Model 3
  • Oct 30, 2015
    Kevin Harney
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét