Thứ Ba, 31 tháng 1, 2017

Any thoughts on the seats? part 1

  • Feb 21, 2013
    eelton
    I like the quality of the leather, and the seat heaters work well. But I don't find the seats very comfortable overall--if I drive for over 30 minutes, I tend to get a butt-ache. It seems the seat is relatively hard, and it's flat, with little side bolstering.

    I got into my old Audi S8 today, and was reminded of how good the seats are in that car. I think the difference is that it feels like sitting *on* the seat in the Tesla, and *in* the seat in the Audi.


    What are your thoughts on the seats--do they work well for you?
  • Feb 21, 2013
    ckessel
    I've been ok on the 2-hour Portland->Eugene (and the reverse). They aren't cushy, I've been in nicer seats in less expensive cars, but they're not bad.

    +1 for the "in" vs. "on". I think that's a pretty apt description.
  • Feb 21, 2013
    ChadS
    They work great for me; although I'm not very picky about seats. I'm happy with the Roadster seats too and a lot of people complain about those.

    More important is that they work well for my wife - she has back spasms and is VERY picky about car seats - car purchase decisions in the past have hinged on her sitting in it. I was quite nervous about buying the car for her, and about the 3,000-mile trip we recently took in it. But she has been extremely happy with the seats. She still prefers her all-time favorite from a 1995 Volvo sedan, but the Model S is her runner-up.
  • Feb 21, 2013
    markb1
    It took a lot of trial and error with the seat controls, but I was able to get it to be relatively comfortable. I ended up tilting the front of the seat up, and that helped a lot.
  • Feb 21, 2013
    eelton
    Yeah, I tried just that this morning, and it did seem to help; it gives a bit more of a feeling of thigh support.

  • Feb 21, 2013
    kvietor
    I used to fly a lot, mostly up at the pointy end, but commuting to and from Miami was a big part of it. For you pilot types, this may be familiar. My boney butt can't stand 30 minutes riding on an MD-80. Those are the most uncomfortable seats ever. Hard to believe people pay good money to fly on them. When I do fly, I make point of avoiding the MD-80 whenever possible. In comparison, the seats in the Model S are as comfortable as any I've ridden in (on?). Four hours has been the longest of my trips in a Tesla but there have been no complaints.

    I guess there are as many backsides as there are Model S owners and as such will produce just as many opinions on comfort. So that's my 2 cents.
  • Feb 21, 2013
    dflye
    From taking the wife along for the first time on an overnight trip this past weekend, her biggest complaint was that she couldn't find a comfortable way to sit up front and take a nap.

    Having taken longer solo trips with extended layovers at 30A chargers, while the front seat isn't the best for napping, it sure beats trying to lay across the back seats!

    Wasn't there some car a few years ago that had some sort of tent-like attachment for the trunk? Guess with something like that and an air mattress, the trunk could be quite comfy!
  • Feb 21, 2013
    mknox
    That was the Pontiac Aztec! Butt ugly car, but clever idea.

    images.jpg
  • Feb 21, 2013
    Todd Burch
    I've been pretty comfortable, although I agree with every review that's covered it--they could use more bolstering.
  • Feb 21, 2013
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Bolstering or lack thereof is my only complaint too. When taking a sharp freeway on ramp at a good speed, I'm resorting to turning my left knee towards the door and propping it there to avoid sliding around in the seat.

    And, yes, tilting the front of the seat up helps with the thigh support a fair bit. It can only go so far though before the steering wheel gets in the way, sort of.
  • Feb 21, 2013
    EarlyAdopter
    Same thoughts here: Not bad, but not Audi. Could use more side bolstering.
  • Feb 21, 2013
    100thMonkey
    Like so many things in the car, play around with the adjustments, you might be surprised. I was surprised to find that the low back support helped me a lot. Cushioning has it's pros and cons, what is not firm enough to one is too firm for other's tastes. The car has a certain zen post modern minimalist decor, it's a style thing, I like the contrast to the ultra high end interface and performance. the only thing I'm still trying to get used to is where to put my right leg. it really wants something to rest against that comes out off the lower dash area and into the console more.
  • Feb 21, 2013
    Chgd Up
    I love the car but have to agree after over 11,000 miles in under 3 months the seats are firm! On long trips they have definitely resulted in a sore bottom also the seat bottom side bolsters are hard and that has resulted in a sore hip bone.

    I have to confess that I caved in and purchased a wedge cushion and have been much more happier since. The seat is narrow at the bottom so I had to purchase the "Compact Mini Tush Cush" but the beige matched my seats exactly; without it I wouldn't have enjoyed the miles nearly as much.
  • Feb 22, 2013
    RDoc
    I sat in the back seat of an S for a bit and thought they were really not up to luxury car standards, too little padding and too flat. The front seats didn't seem too bad, but I haven't sat in them for any length of time.
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Zextraterrestrial
    I like my front seats quite a bit.
    I thought the Lexus(LS) seats were nicer and cushier but now that I have adjusted my S seat, it is almost perfect. My front is up all the way and the back down all the way with the seat vertical enough that my head is ~4-6" from the headrest. Lumbar is set pretty low, maybe just under 1/2 way up and extended almost all the way out but not quite. During my first couple of 300 mile trips I had the seat back laid back too far and did get a tiny sore. The way I have it now keeps my butt and back fine. oh, 5'10 ~ 170lb
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Robert.Boston
    So you have uncovered the master plan -- by making the seats a bit uncomfortable, one is happy to take a long break every 2.5 hours to stretch. Oh, and might as well charge while you're stretching!
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Odenator
    I got a couple of camping air mattresses for a planned Olympia to Vegas trip this summer. I'm 5'11" and 180lbs and I was able to lie down lengthwise in the back with rear seats folded and not hit my head against the front seat or touch the trunk lid with my feet. Very comfy!
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Hank42
    I'm 6'2" and I find the seats comfortable overall, however, I cannot get a comfortable position without my right knee being in contact with the lower edge of the display's console. I find that I sort of have to perform kugel exercise ("clench" my buttox ) to keep my right knee from pressing into the console. Like others, raising the front portion of the seat helps, but another inch or two would help prevent the clenched buttox syndrome.
  • Feb 22, 2013
    ahimberg
    I have the textile which have been comfy enough. I was disappointed no seat heaters, but actually they seem to not breathe super well and my back gets hot with a coat on. Hopefully they have some breathability in summer
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  • Feb 22, 2013
    brianman
    BTW, if you have the tech package, even if you don't plan to use it for this purpose...

    It's definitely entertaining to make a "Nap" driver profile with the seat as flat as it goes and the steering wheel as distance as possible.

    I've used it twice already for napping at charging locations.
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Lou in SoCal
    I'm going to preface my statement by saying that I love the car. With that said, seat comfort and leather quality is quite subpar for the car. I may be a little biased coming from my CLS AMG. The AMG seats are far and away at another level as far as comfort, quality, and functionality. I do understand that you can't have it all and the performance of the car outweighs the seats.
  • Feb 23, 2013
    ahimberg
    I think driver profiles are bundled with leather seats, not tech package. I have tech but no driver profile UI I can find, not even mirrors & steering wheel if 'seat memory' needed to be so exclusive
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  • Feb 23, 2013
    lolachampcar
    I lost my wife for the second MS in the household in part for the seats :( I really wanted that Red/Tan car.
  • Feb 23, 2013
    jandkw
    After driving my MS for 2 weeks, I am still trying to find the right position. I never had any problem with my Acura which the front seats are very comfortable. I think part of the problem is the air suspension/chassis is designed to be a little stiff so after a couple of hours of driving, it hurts my back a little and I'm not a young gun anymore. One other item is that my seat heater always turns to "1" automatically everything I get out of my car and come back in. I think the seat sensor causes this to happen and it is a software bug. Any owner has this issue?
  • Feb 23, 2013
    eelton
    Is your car by any chance in range mode? That can cause the seat heater to activate, in order to save energy keeping the cabin warm.

    Having said that, I did once have the seat heater suddenly turn itself on (to #3). I wasn't in range mode, and it hasn't happened again.

  • Feb 23, 2013
    William13
    IMHO MB has the best seats. I didn't expect Tesla to have the best. The Tesla seats move into all the possible standard positions. I think they need a touch more padding under the butt and bigger side bolsters. More thigh support could be added by tilting the seat back more at the factory. I wonder if the butt pain is caused by the desire to make the seat heaters work quicker than MB and the sensor to turn off the car when one steps out?
  • Feb 23, 2013
    jandkw
    eelton, I was on range mode and just turned off and see what happened. Thank you.
  • Feb 24, 2013
    jandkw
    It turns out I don't have the seat heater turns on automatically anymore. Even better, I have higher fan setting of "8" instead of "5" with stronger heater in the back seat as well. Thanks eelton
  • Jun 22, 2013
    B-Chicago
    Trying several options with no success yet. I feel like I need to let more lumbar out but can't. I end up feeling like I need to bend my shoulders and head back to even come close to hitting the top of the seat. 5'10". I'll try tilting the front of the seat up more to see if that helps.
  • Jun 22, 2013
    Bobfitz1
    I am happy with my Roadster's seats but I've test driven Model S twice and agree 100% the current seats are not up to the quality of the rest of MS or seats in Audi's etc. I told this directly to a Tesla product guy who gave a tech talk a few weeks back at Garden State Plaza store in N.J., and to the manager over the East coast stores. I can't wait to retire my 13 year old Acura from it's weekday commuter car role and replace with an MS. But if I'm going to pay 75 - 95K for a luxury car I hope to keep for 15 - 20+ years, the seats need to be right. I hope Tesla is listening and gives us a premium seat option or far better upgrades standard seats to Audi/Mercedes/BMW level very soon.

    There are so many different things to love about the MS. I understand many don't have this seat sensitivity as I do. But I will assert that anyone who's ever spent 5 min. in a good luxury car seat, knows in 30 seconds that the current MS drivers seat is not close to that level.
  • Jun 22, 2013
    ZBB
    I've had my car for 2 1/2 weeks now and am having a hard time finding a comfortable setting -- ending up with some lower back pain. The seats definitely need more bolstering... I'll keep fiddling with it -- I didn't have problems during test drives (one of which was over 30 minutes thanks to a kind member here) -- so I need to find the sweet spot... I agree with Zextraterrestrial that putting the seat nearly all the way up with the backrest more vertical seems to help...
  • Jun 22, 2013
    Cheerose
    Is there anything after-market that can help with the seats... Both front and the rear?
  • Jun 22, 2013
    ChadS
    I doubt there is any car that has seats that work for everybody; so you're never really going to know until you try it. I just took another long trip in the Model S and was very happy; I'm fortunate that they work for my wife and I.

    For those that don't like the Model S seats, I asked before buying the car...I was told they are on an industry-standard track, so there are lots of seats that can fit. I didn't ask any further questions, like if that includes an industry-standard connector for power seats. And are there airbags in the seats? I don't think so but haven't looked carefully.
  • Jun 22, 2013
    yearofthedragon
    it's definitely no Audi A7 or 970 Panamera, which i've both owned and loved the bucket seat feel. I have no doubt, Tesla will improve.
  • Jun 22, 2013
    mknox
    After 3 1/2 months, I find the seats to be better than I initially thought they'd be, although probably not as good as in my past car. I miss the adjustable headrests and, with the warmer weather, the ventilation feature I've enjoyed in the past.

    Just like seat heaters can result in lower HVAC use in the winter, I think the same can be said of ventilated seats in the summer. A couple of times now, I've turn on the a/c whereas with ventilated seats I probably would have just used that and saved a bit of energy.
  • Jun 22, 2013
    andrewket
    I agree the seats are subpar to other manufacturers in this class. The seats need far more side bolstering. I find myself moving during hard turns. On long distance trips my back is sore.
  • Jun 22, 2013
    AMPd
    I wonder if it would be possible to install seats for other cars
    I love the comfort seats from the E60 M5
  • Jun 22, 2013
    Desdi
    Everything is possible. But it may be a lot harder to make possible in the Model S, due to the sensor in the drivers seat. So it would take a lot more than a mere swap.
  • Jun 22, 2013
    AMPd
    That's what I was thinking, if it weren't for the car on/off sensor in the seat it would have been much easier.
    But like you said anything is possible, just need the time and the right people!

    (dr.taras(sp?) user had his model s get a huge make over with a lot of goodies, the shop that did that might be willing to give the seat swap a go, what's the worst that can happen? ;)
  • Jun 24, 2013
    mknox
    Most, if not all seats already have sensors in place for seatbelt warning and airbag activation. Perhaps you could hijack that sensor???
  • Jun 24, 2013
    Merrill
    This is very interesting to me because just yesterday I said to my wife how comfortable the seats are. I have normal back aches as we all do as we get older, and when driving the Model S I feel very comfortable. I think that they feel better to me than our ML430.
  • Jun 24, 2013
    artsci
    I lived with two herniated discs for over 20 years, and I think the seats are very comfortable, about the best I've had. But I spent a lot of time getting them set properly for my physique and posture. Height, length of leg extension to the pedals, seat back angle, arm angles to the steering wheel, back support firmness -- it's very important to get those right for your own body.

    Friday I was behind the wheel for four straight hours and Sunday for three. No problems at all.
  • Jun 24, 2013
    ZBB
    Since posting a few days ago, I adjusted the seat again --this time starting from the highest possible setting. I finally found a comfortable position yesterday -- and made no adjustments today. I feel like I'm sitting a little high, but I have the right angle now for the back rest. This position is saved and I'll probably see if I can get just a bit lower -- but it's pretty good now...
  • Jun 25, 2013
    gr8fullee
    I was concerned about the seats at first because they didn't have the "plump" bolstered feel of my previous vehicle a Mercedes CL500. AND I have a herniated disc which makes the seat and ride extremely important to me. But now that I've spent a little time with the car I've grown to love the seats. I have not had any back problems and the design is so sleek and "concept-car" like that I am in awe every time I get in the car. It's hard for me to be objective as I love the car more every time I look at it and drive it.
  • Jun 25, 2013
    MikeK
    I'm completely happy with my seats. I've spent a whole day in the car on a trip with friends, and I was comfortable the whole time.
  • Sep 25, 2013
    dennis
    The only big complaints I had about my Signature P85 were the handling and the lack of side bolstering in the front seats. After getting the P+ suspension retrofitted to my car, I love the handling but the seat issue is exacerbated by being able to take corners faster!

    Today I visited a Silicon Valley shop that specializes in custom interiors for hot rods and rebuilt interiors for classic cars. We are working on a plan to rebuild the Model S seat bottoms for more lateral support. The factory look will be retained by matching the leather and alcantara and the electronics will be kept intact. I should be able to report back on results in a few weeks.
  • Sep 25, 2013
    jyc
    Would love to hear about your results on modifying the native seats. We have the same complaint about the seats. Either the seats are too wide in the back or don't have enough side bolstering. My wife and I are on the small side and when cornering on the harder side, we slide in the seats. A lot. Even if the car is holding the road well, that sensation of sliding and having to brace against it gives the impression of far worse cornering ability than the car is probably capable of. On the other hand, the seats in the Panamera really fit us well, so there's no sliding at all (doesn't hurt to have ventilated seats in SoCal, either). The lack of sliding probably contributes to a way more connected feeling to the car and the road than we have in the Model S.

    If someone manages to find aftermarket ventilated seats with better bolstering that work with the electronics (seat sensor and memory positions including lumbar support position), we'd spring for them in a heartbeat. We really hope that Dennis' modification works out great!

    Still seems strange that the lumbar support position is not part of the programmable memory in the seat. If my wife and I had the same back, we wouldn't have to adjust the lumbar support manually every time we switch driver profiles...
  • Sep 25, 2013
    bareyb
    /subscribed.... Please post pics. I live in the area and would be very interested to see how that comes out. :)
  • Sep 26, 2013
    TylerCA
    I do agree that the perf seats do not have enough side bolster support compared to other cars I own. Would love to see how your project turns out.
  • Sep 26, 2013
    bareyb
    As far as I can tell the Performance Seats and the Standard Seats have the same padding. The only difference is the colored piping and Alcantera inserts.
  • Sep 26, 2013
    andrewket
    Subscribed too. The P85+ really needs true sport seats.
  • Sep 26, 2013
    Gizmotoy
    Really any of the models could use better seats. Even the S85/P85 would benefit greatly. Getting out of the stock Recaros in my current car and into the Model S seats is disappointing. Especially given the 3x price difference.
  • Sep 26, 2013
    dennis
    I considered replacing the stock front seats with Recaros upholstered to match - I did this on a Ford Expedition and it worked out great. But I estimated it would cost $6K-$7K and I was worried about losing the seat memory integration so I dropped the idea.
  • Sep 27, 2013
    Gizmotoy
    I'm not sure about the Model S, but in most car's you'd lose the airbags as well since they're in the side of the seat. The best thing about my Evo is that the Recaros are stock equipment and include the airbags. My wife and I spent 3000 miles in them moving cross country this summer and there aren't enough superlatives available for me to describe how amazing they were. 3000 miles and absolutely no back pain, to which I am prone. Incredible. Even more so considering they have just two adjustments: front-to-back sliding and rear seat back angle. That's it.

    I despise leather seats, but if the Performance seat option were more like those Recaros instead of just having different coverings I would have ordered them.
  • Sep 27, 2013
    rdrcrmatt

    Bump, I LOVE THIS IDEA!
  • Nov 12, 2013
    ChadS
    Usually the side of the seat will have "SRS" or something like that stamped in it, and I don't see it on my seats. But the owner's manual (I did not get one with my car, but it is now on the main touchscreen with firmware 5.6) says that there are side airbags in the seats.

    By the way, I did a 900-mile day in a Model S seat last week. It was comfy.
  • Feb 14, 2014
    mbhaddad
    The RECARO Sportster CS seat has side airbags and are heated. Could be a good option. I wonder what a photoshop would look like? 1zgrc2.jpg
  • Apr 17, 2014
    shady
    I'm looking forward to this:
  • Apr 17, 2014
    roblab
    We have 40,000+ miles on the car. We drive hours at a time, get out and charge, get in and drive.

    I have a "bad back", 24 hour pain meds, sitting in poor support about kills me. I am comfortable driving the S. The seats aren't cushy, but they are comfortable. We go visit our kid, I am in constant pain until we get in the car for the two day drive. AHHHHHH.

    Sure, I go around corners. I live in the mountains on curvy roads, and I lose the tailgaters going around the bends. I know nothing about Recaro, race seats, performance seats. All I know is that Tesla works for me.
  • Apr 17, 2014
    Chris Naps
    Hello!
    They make special gel/foam/memory foam cushions for ones back and butt. They also have massaging cushions for your back and butt that goes over the seat. It can be taken off with only a few Velcro strips.

    Maybe this will help???
  • Apr 17, 2014
    ckessel
    I may be interested in the new seat, cost depending. I'm sure it's expensive though.

    I get real knee fatigue. Now, my legs tend to flop knees akimbo naturally, more so than the typical person (and I've got hip issues, in part, because of it). I like to rest my right knee on the console while I'm driving. With the Model S, there is no console and trying to rest against the center screen enclosure at any point either has my seat way too close or my knee is against a corner.

    Sometimes I'll wedge a pair of gloves between my thigh and the seat side bolster support and that helps. So, if these new seats let me sink a little deeper which ends up giving more support from that side bolster, that'd be a big help.
  • Apr 17, 2014
    Gizmotoy
    To just sink a little lower, it would take some convincing for me. The seating position is extremely high, IMO, with the post September seats, but I'm not sure it's worth what is certain to be the huge retrofit cost (the seats are something like $4.5k a piece currently).

    Perhaps the more significant upgrade he hinted at would be worthwhile, though. I just want some side bolsters. My wife and I both long for the factory Recaros in our two previous cars when I hit the accelerator in the MS.
  • Apr 17, 2014
    HankLloydRight
    I wonder how standard the seat mountings are? I'd love to retro fit my M5 seats, which are awesome. I've only had my MS for a few weeks now, and only took one long weekend trip in it, and yeah, the seats are really lacking compared to BMW, Audi, or Merc seats.

    I also would like to see what Elon is talking about, and how much THATS going to cost.
  • Apr 17, 2014
    ckessel
    What happened last September? I put my seat at nearly the lowest possible seating position now.
  • Apr 17, 2014
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Something did change. I've had a couple of newish loaners recently where I couldn't get the seat to go as low as it does in my own car. My head was touching the headliner. Made for uncomfortable driving. @kevincwelch noted this as well.
  • Apr 17, 2014
    Bill D
    On a recent 400 mi drive, I found the harder MS seat acceptable, but significantly less comfortable than our MBs. My wife however (in only local drives) has been getting back pain from the MS seat, even though she's never had back pain from the SL500 she's driven for 11 years, from our S550 or from any other car.

    Here's the full transcript of what Elon said in Oslo in Jan 2, 2014:
    "Improved seat comfort? (Laugh.) I agree. The seats should be more comfortable. There is an upgraded seat that we're working on. Pretty sure it can be offered as a retrofit. [FONT=&amp]I think one element is going into production this week or next week.[/FONT] I'm 90% sure they can be offered as a future upgrade. Element... adjusts the springs on the seat. One thing that's not quite right about the front seats is that the spring force is too high under the center of the butt. Raises you too much out of the seat. By modifying the spring force you sit better in the seat. Fairly easy thing to modify for existing seats. Looking to see if we can offer this for a minor cost. Longer term there's a bigger seat upgrade but that's probably more like a year. Seats are harder to modify than you might think because of the safety aspect. Sensor pad for the airbag for how heavy, and where located in the seat to adjust decision on how to deploy the airbag."
    ?

    What Elon said makes sense when I compare my MB and MS seats. Simply sinking lower in the seat would increase lateral support, increase thigh support and generally spread support over a wider area, reducing concentrated tailbone pressure (which may be causing her pain).

    Today, my wife picked up a Winplus Ultimate Gel Seat Cushion ($19.99 at Costco) to try on her daily driving and on a 200 mi drive we'll be doing together next weekend. I'll report back on how it works.
  • Apr 17, 2014
    GDH
    There is a brown P85 at the Tigard SC that has the new seats and they are soooooooooooooooo comfortable. I am looking into retroing my car if I keep it.
  • Apr 17, 2014
    dennis
    I was told by a Tesla Product Specialist that there is a "seat fix" that can be done by the Service Center. Apparently there are 4 crossmembers in the seat bottom and they can remove the one closest to the seatback, allowing you to sink deeper into the seat bottom. I haven't had time to investigate this with my local SC but I definitely will and report back.
  • Apr 17, 2014
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Interesting, Dennis. I'd be interested in getting this done too as I've gotten very fidgety of late in the seat; the ergonomics just don't seem to be right (no, I've not gained any weight or anything like that :tongue: )
  • Apr 18, 2014
    spentan
    Car is going in for a few fixes in 2 weeks. More info regarding the seat "fix" would be great
  • Apr 18, 2014
    ElSupreme
    Yes I had a loaner in February and the seat was much (~2-3") taller than my current (first generation non-heated cloth) seats.


    When I first got the car I thought the seats were uncomfortable (compared to my 7 year old GTI's). But some seat adjustments, and a little breaking in, during the first few months. I think the Model S seats are wonderful, and don't have issues at all anymore.
  • Apr 18, 2014
    Bill D
    This possible "seat fix" makes sense after I took a close look up under my seats with a mirror. The crossmember closest to the seat back is located under your tailbone, which seems to be the main place relief is needed. The remedial seat cushions have a cut-away notch for pressure relief in that same area.

    However, all 4 crossmembers are made from one continuous piece of spring steel wire routed back and forth from side to side, so I'm not sure how easy it is to remove one of them.

    Clearly, a retrofit solution done at the SC, as Elon inferred at Oslo, would be the absolute best solution. I'll also inquire, so we can compare notes.
  • Apr 18, 2014
    William13
    The seats are my personal biggest grip in a $100,000 car. I am happy to hear about a solution coming out. Tesla is just getting better and better. No other company keeps on giving updates and improvements like Tesla. Even if some cost money.
  • Apr 18, 2014
    jbruce
    Do the new seats look the same? I, like others, am disappointed in the lack of lateral support and the inability to get the seating position low enough.

  • Apr 18, 2014
    GDH
    I have textile seats so I am not sure if they look different from the current seats. They do look bigger and they are pretty comfortable. Not sure if they are the new design or not though.
  • Apr 19, 2014
    Greg06
    Hmmm, when I test drove a P85 with performance seats back in early March I remember adjusting the seat all the way down and still feeling like I was sitting up a bit higher than usual. This was compared to my Volt, so it should still feel like an upgrade and the Volt seats were a little hard! :smile: I'm still curious if there are any adjustments that were made on recently produced cars, as it'd be nice to sit down just a bit lower in the seat. Even so, I'm hoping it's not an issue once they are adjusted right.
  • Apr 21, 2014
    Username
    If anyone wants to upgrade to the newer seats when they come out, I would be interested in your current grey ones as mine are black.
    Just let me know!
  • Apr 21, 2014
    Gizmotoy
    I think the seating position change happened in September when they last updated the seats. The car I test drove sat low (VIN ~10k) vs my car (VIN ~25k). I rode in a friend's Sig a month or so back and it felt like I was practically sitting on the floor. Which I loved, given I'm fairly tall and even with the seats fully lowered in my car AND having the pano roof I'm still pretty close to the ceiling when sitting normally in my seat.
  • Apr 22, 2014
    jbruce
    My car is November production and the seating position does feel very high. I would love to have the old lower seating position. I wonder if it was the tracks or the mounts?
  • Apr 23, 2014
    mknox
    I am driving a fairly new loaner today and the seats are most definitely "softer". I did not find them high at all and, in fact, had to raise it up quite a bit before I headed out from the Service Center.
  • Apr 23, 2014
    MarkR
    Love the car, BUT the seats have not been a strong point. A bit more cushioning would be nice, bolstering appears necessary, and the headrests are so dangerously narrow that whiplash would be likely in the event that that car was hit at an angle from behind.
  • Apr 23, 2014
    Bill D
    I'm curious of that Loaner's sequence number (last 5 digits of the VIN).
  • Apr 23, 2014
    mknox
    If I remember, I'll check on my way out from work, but the key fob has a tag on it that says P11010. (I say the car is "fairly new" based on the fact it only has about 4,000 miles on it).
  • Apr 23, 2014
    Bill D
    11010 is a certified antique in "Tesla Time". Maybe 41010 and they mis-wrote the tag?
  • Apr 23, 2014
    mknox
    It's a lot newer than my VIN (06003) and I didn't think they kept loaners around that long, but who knows?
  • Apr 23, 2014
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Sounds like a much older car that's mostly had showroom duty; that'd explain the bad seat post wear too that you posted about on the other thread. Real new loaners out here have VINs in the high 20Ks.
  • Apr 23, 2014
    mknox
    You know, I'll bet that's it! There was a red Model S at the Yorkdale Mall showroom at one point... maybe this is the one!
  • Apr 23, 2014
    Bill D
    Maybe this is good news! Maybe the seats get softer as they get older and "break in", like shoes.
  • Apr 23, 2014
    mknox
    They sure do feel softer than my own car. I'm also happy to report that the condition of the seat leather is quite good... especially encouraging if this was, in fact, a showroom car with lots of people going through it.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét