Thứ Ba, 31 tháng 1, 2017

How much has your Model S' battery degraded? part 1

  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner
    My 2013 Tesla P85 (6,500 miles) now has a range of 204 miles at about 85% charge - the loaner I just had (also a P85) had a range of about 220 at 85%, yet it has 2,000+ more miles than my car and it was newer. I thought lithium ion degradation was related to how many times the cells were charged / discharged, not their age? The loaner has clearly been charged/discharged more.

    So my question to you is this: what's your range at 85-90% (or even 100%) and hold old is your Model S?

    ps will report back when I charge my car to 100% tonight, but based on my calculations, my car should only have 240 miles max range; it was over 260 when it was brand new.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    Max*
    There are several threads on this, here's one recent one:

    What's your 90%?
  • Aug 4, 2015
    kevincwelch
    VIN 4293. Standard 85. Received Feb 16, 2013. 13,xxx miles. 90% charge is about 225. Topped off: 250...about.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner
    I should probably use this forum more often... However, tbh, I have a very hard time finding older threads on topics I think about posting.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    mknox
    S85 Delivered March 2013 with a little over 54,000 miles currently.

    90% - 216 Rated Miles, 244 Ideal Miles
    100% - 242 Rated Miles (did not note Ideal Miles at last 100% charge).

    I've only charged to 100% probably less than 10 times since new. Normally charge to between 70 and 90%.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner

    Really? Your car is both older than mine and has more miles, I wonder why? What's your charge situation like, do you leave it plugged in 24/7 (unless you're driving), like Tesla recommends?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Yours seems pretty close to mine, yet you have more than 8x the number of miles (I, like you, have only charged to 100% a handful of times). What's your routine charge situation like?
  • Aug 4, 2015
    kevincwelch
    It's plugged overnight only. I have kept it between 80-90 charged. Only topped off about a dozen times in the past 2.5 years. During the day, it sits unplugged for 12+ hours. Sometimes in freezing weather. I have no other options. I drive about 30 miles daily, mostly highway now.

    I'm disappointed in the loss given the low mileage of the car. I had Tesla look at it, and they said the battery was fine.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    yobigd20
    I think for you're "typical lithium ion battery" this statement may be more accurate, but when it comes to Tesla's advanced thermal management and charging algorithms and built-in protection mechanisms that statement does not apply at all. I think one industry expect who has in depth knowledge of Tesla's batteries showed that the number of cycles here was really irrelevant and that in theory Tesla's batteries could last many decades.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    scaesare
    You may want to read up on some of the factors that can play in to the numbers you are seeing.

    I summarized what is understood to be happening HERE
  • Aug 4, 2015
    deonb
    P85 Feb 2013 here. 25000 miles

    90% at 231 miles
    100% at 258 miles... and it runs 5.5 miles initially at 400wh/m before ticking down to 257

    You have to do a 100% charge, then run it down to close to 0, then do a 100% charge again, otherwise the displayed range is meaningless.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner
    Then riddle me this, why has mine decayed so much? :O I do EVERYTHING Tesla says... Leave it plugged in when you're not driving, only charge to 90% (tops) unless you absolutely need the extra 100% range, etc.... I even usually charge it to only 60%.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Wait, really, does that recalibrate it? Where did you see that?
  • Aug 4, 2015
    skboston
    2013 P85+ 30k miles, charged at the Superchargers quite a bit.

    90% at 230 miles
    100% at 258 miles

    I recently got a loaner battery while mine is being worked on for unknown reason and that get 224 miles at 90% and 255 (if I remember correctly) at 100%.

    I have no complaints so far, at first I was experiencing severe loss in the first few months when my rated 90% dropped to 224 miles from 236, but after few 100% charges, it went back to 230-232, where it is now for my battery pack. When I get it back in a month or so from Tesla, I'll report again.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    glhs272
    Because of this.

  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner
    That's exactly what the Tesla rep told me to do though? So is it actual battery decay or is it just estimated range loss that can be recouped by charging to 100%, draining and charging back up?
  • Aug 4, 2015
    skboston
    Probably calibration issue, call Tesla Service and they'll tell you the same thing and offer advice.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    yobigd20
    because the battery pack is very unbalanced (aka cells charge voltages are not balanced exactly within modules) and so it's "best guesstimating" your range when in reality the car has no idea what your actual range will be. Unfortunately there is no way to accurately measure lithium ion battery capacity so they are only algorithmic estimates. Without fully depleting your battery to 0 and then full charging it to try and force balanced cells there is just no way for the computer to accurately know what your exact capacity is or range will be (and even this is not 100% accurate but it can help correct it a little bit, also its impossible to fully deplete the pack anyway since the battery management system has a built in minimum buffer after it shuts down to prevent you from harming your battery) . It can only do a best guess estimate.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner
    Intertesting, thank you for the info... How do you get it to exactly 0? Drive it around the block until it's at 1 then back and forth out of the driveway? haha
  • Aug 4, 2015
    mspisars
    Get it down to 1 or 2 miles then blast AC in the garage til the car shuts down... :)

    Oh, and make sure you are not in Range Mode....
  • Aug 4, 2015
    glhs272
    In my experience it is just calculation issue. Frankly I have been just charging to 90% for well over a year and half now, so I am not sure if the firmware has gotten better at dealing with this. If you have done the charge to 100% then drive to near zero in a single drive then repeated another time or two and it still makes no improvement, then that suggests that the decay is permanent not just a balance/calc issue.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner
    Ah, it has to be in a single drive? Darn, now I have to find somewhere to go :D

    - - - Updated - - -

    I never am :p lol, but that sounds like it would work well! Thank you for the tip!
  • Aug 4, 2015
    yobigd20
    haha this is what i've done too. it actually goes down faster than you'd think. that AC is an absolute killer on range.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    glhs272
    Don't drive all the way to zero. I have done OK driving to about 10 or so miles rated range left. I usually do this on a road trip and modulate my speed and HVAC settings to use more or less energy such that when I get to about 10 miles I arrive at my destination. If you plan on going to zero and your range calculation is way off, you might find yourself stranded on the side of the road when you thought you still had 10 miles of range left.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    deonb
    It's a good thing for the battery, but 60% is especially bad for the calculation.

    When you charge back up to 100% a few times (and let it sit there for a few hours), something happens... I don't think anybody definitely knows if it's just range recalculation or rebalancing. You may have some real loss in there, but you wouldn't know for sure until a couple of deep charge/discharge cycles.


    I try to only do this on colder days (< 70 degrees). I know the BMS should cool down the battery, but Elon did give specific guidance some time back to not range charge it to 100% and have it sit in high heat for days at a time. Up to you though.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    glhs272
    In my experience, I have noted only 2 times where I had significant range loss over a relatively short period of time. 1) When charging to 70% daily. Although it seems to be recoverable range loss. 2) Driving the car very hard on a hot day with a low battery (<25%), this appears to be more permanent. Lost about 3 miles of rated range in one day doing that.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner
    VERY true, I wonder how long it would take to get to from 10 to 0 by blasting the AC

    - - - Updated - - -

    Yeah, I live in SoCal, so it's basically never cold here (save the nights)...
  • Aug 4, 2015
    yobigd20
    About 20 minutes.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner
    I can only recall a handful of times where I've driven on a super low battery (it's pretty much always hot here though :frown:) ...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Wow, that's crazy... I'll get it to about 10 miles tho. But as other have noted, driving it at a low capacity when it's hot out damages the battery and, as I've stated, it gets very hot where I live (especially on the highways/freeways).
  • Aug 4, 2015
    glhs272
    I have driven my car on a low battery on a hot day many times (although I try to avoid it when possible). However, you will want to refrain from driving it hard. In my case on that particular day I was driving it hard enough that when I stopped (I didn't have the HVAC on at all) the cooling fans were screaming like they do at the supercharger.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    eggy
    20k miles, car spec. see my signature:
    90% 232
    100% 255
  • Aug 4, 2015
    gaswalla
    83k miles. Deliv 11-2012, s85. Range charge 5-10/yr, supercharge ave 4/month. 90% 221 rated miles and range charge last month was 282 ideal miles 67c609f6f3861b4c2bc95947e4bba0ac.jpg
  • Aug 4, 2015
    dha820
    I have a 2014 S85 VIN 36873. I used to charge to 70% daily and my 90% rated range was ~222 miles. A couple of months ago i read somewhere on this forum that by charging to 90% you balance the battery pack a bit better so I've been charging to 90% daily over the last several months. My 90% rated range is now 235 and it continues to go up every couple of weeks. I believe the rated range when brand new at 90% was 238 miles.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    sorka
    P85D with 7500 miles on it. 80% charge still says 205 miles on it the same as it was when it was new. 70% says 178 miles. So although I've only got 7500 miles, it appears I haven't suffered any range loss. Just finished a 1600 mile round trip drive going up Friday and coming back Monday. Friday was 106+ degrees most of the drive and I supercharged a lot. The fans were screaming when charging.

    I would never leave a battery charged at 90% all the time. The higher the charge, the more damage you'll do over time. I leave mine around 60% and set the timer to charge to 80% finishing about 15 minutes before I leave. It spends very little time above 60% and daily never gets below 35%.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    UberEV1
    Yes, this is what many (not all) have observed: charge to >90% and pack seems to balance more effectively, resulting in small improvements in range weekly (doesn't have to be 100%, just 90% or higher); maintaining the battery charge in the upper middle range (e.g. 65 to 80%) is generally considered better to minimize degradation when not in use (this is where I leave mine when going on extended business trips); however, the lower charge levels will pull down max range again. I have gone through this cycle several times, so it seems consistent. Last 100% charge I was at 260 miles (2013 S85, "B" pack).
  • Aug 4, 2015
    David99
    I lost about 7.4% after 55k miles. 100% used to be 271 rated miles when it was new, now it is 251. Of course this isn't the most accurate way.

    The car is 16 months old.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    FlasherZ
    My 2012 has 58,500 miles roughly. Battery pack was replaced at 19,000 (contactor failure - now they repair them).

    So after 39,500 miles on my battery pack, the car range charges to 267, 90% charge to 239 - one mile less than when I got the battery pack.

    I normally leave it at 90%, I range charge at will (probably once every 3-4 weeks). I charge at 80A all the time, and supercharge occasionally (probably once a month).
  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner
    That's insane, your battery seems to have done the best...
  • Aug 4, 2015
    FlasherZ
    Lost my first mile this last week, just before I pummeled a deer with the car.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    ecarfan
    Well that is incredible. I don't recall ever seeing an 85 with that high a range charge number, and certainly not after 83,000 miles.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    yobigd20
    That's ideal, not rated. Big difference.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    Lyon
    Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but for an accurate comparison shouldn't we all be reporting these numbers as ideal range? Doesn't Rated take into account driving style when trying to figure out range?
  • Aug 4, 2015
    jerry33
    Yes, ideal miles is what should be used. The rated range algorithm has changed over time, but it appears they don't mess with the ideal range as much.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    FredTMC
    Rated doesn't take into account the car's driving style. It's the same measure for everyone
  • Aug 4, 2015
    tanner
    Just got off the phone with a Tesla regional manager in Cali and he told me NOT to run it to 0 and back up to 100%, as it "balances" automatically when plugged in at 90%. However, he did inform me that it might be a good idea to discharge it to about 20% and back up to 80% or 90% (not 100%).
  • Aug 4, 2015
    gaswalla
    Yes, I report my range charges as ideal miles. The rated miles differ if the car is placed in range mode or not, or dual motor vs single motor (I think ).. My car had 301 ideal moles just under three years ago... So it seems like 6% loss after almost 3 years and 85k miles.. The thing is that I have had essentially no loss over past 15 months.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    apacheguy
    I know this has been hashed out many times... But, I still don't understand it. A new car or new battery still charges up to 265+ miles and from what I've seen it's linear. So if it's still achieving the same max range I don't see how the algo could have been changed. That and the fact that it ought to be based off of the EPA number which was only released once.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    David99
    No, rated miles does not adjust to you driving style. But there have been some adjustments in how the car calculates the predicts range. "Ideal miles" has never been changed so it would be a better way to compare. Problem is, no one sets their car to show ideal miles as it's not matching real world driving at all. I don't remember what my ideal miles when it was new because I never used it.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    deonb
    Balancing requires that cells be held at a specific voltage and then trickle charged beyond that. It can in theory be done at any level - doesn't need to be 100%.

    However, the Model S charger will NOT do this at 90%. Once the charge reaches 90%, the charging immediately stops. If any battery balancing is indeed taking place, it's not at 90%.

    We do however know that once the Model S reaches 100%, the car slows charging to a trickle and it will remain in that trickle for up to 4 hours (at least what I've seen it at, others might have seen it for longer). That behavior seems more like balancing to me.


    I buy that it can do algorithm recalibration at 90%, and it can do balancing at 100%. However, I don't buy balancing at 90% - not on a Model S at least. So if he used the word "balancing" at 90% rather than "recalibrating" at 90%, I would take his advice with a grain of salt.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    apacheguy
    I thought wk057 figured that balancing was achieved by the 16 BMBs attached to each of the modules and that the car didn't have to be on or even charging for this to take place.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    djp
    Balancing on the Roadster "bleeds off" the highest cells after a charge completes rather than trickle charging the lowest. The Model S pack also has bleed resistors and probably uses a similar approach to balancing. It's possible to balance at any level without trickle charging.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    liuping
    While it may be possible, I really do not think they are doing it.

    Charging to 100% and leaving it plugged in until it says "Charging Complete" (usually about an hour after it first reaches 100%) is the only thing that has ever improved my rated range number.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    David99
    As we have learned from people who have opened the battery pack, the balancing is done by bleeding off the higher modules. It is not done by charging the lowers one more. So balancing can take place without the charger doing anything.

    That behavior is actually common when charging Lithium cells to 100%. They are charged to the point where the max voltage is achieved and then the voltage is kept constant while the current is reduced. As the battery gets closer to 100% the current needed to hold the max voltage gets smaller and smaller. This is not balancing, it is the normal way to fully charge a Lithium cell.

    Look at this graph. The blue line is the voltage. It goes up to the max. Once it reaches it, it is kept constant by adjusting the current down gradually. The right side of the graph shows this well. The flat voltage curve and the dropping current curve.

    Charge-Cycle-Li-Ion-Battery.jpg
  • Aug 4, 2015
    deonb

    Which just stresses more that the Tesla regional manager does not really have an idea what he's talking about when he says to charge it to 90% in order to balance it... (if those were indeed his exact words).

    The car either:

    * Balances at 100% - circumstantial evidence being that people (including myself) see behavioral changes at 100%
    * Balances at any SOC - evidenced from the wk057 disassembly
    * Doesn't balance at all

    Either way, there isn't a balanced-related even that happens at 90% more so than it would happen at 60%.

    I admin that I don't know if what happens at that 100% plateau is actual balancing or range re-calibration. But I know what happens at 90% isn't balancing.
  • Aug 4, 2015
    Ingineer
    Top balancing requires that the higher cells be bled down until all cells are all equal voltages. This activity will lower overall pack SOC, so the charger would have to "trickle" the now-balanced pack up to 100%. On some systems, they continuously trickle charge the pack with a constant voltage and any cells that exceed the 100% threshold are bled. Charging stops when the current drops below a certain trip point and the pack is considered full. I've never seen a system balance at levels lower than 100%, but in theory it could be done.

    Also, the SOC calculation is done by coulomb counting, but since this is prone to slight errors and will drift over time, they reset the SOC to 100% when a 100% charge is completed. This explains why capacity can be restored with an occasional full charge.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    djp
    The Roadster balances at any charge level at or above 90%. The balancing is done by bleed off only, no trickle charging. You can unplug the car and it will continue balancing.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    Matias
    Yes.If I have understood right, each module has small resistors to bleed extra energy out if necessary. So to my understanding car doesn't need to be plugged.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    mknox
    A while back, I reported that my car would never seem to reach 100% and stop. It would be stuck at (something like) "5 minutes remaining" and would be pumping over 30 amps for many hours. I would get concerned and unplug. I was eventually convinced by forum members here to just "let it run" and so I did. My car did finally hit 100% and stop after 4 or 5 hours. I didn't gain a single mile.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    gaswalla
    You'll often see the increased range on the subsequent charge that is 90 percent or greater
  • Aug 5, 2015
    mknox
    Not me. I see the exact same number on subsequent charges.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    Max*
    My 90% fluctuates from 214-218 miles. But when I change the RM to %, sometimes it shows 91%. I think this is what some people are experiencing.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    apacheguy
    Yes that does sometimes happen but it is very rare in my experience. My old battery exhibited the behavior described by mknox where no range improvement would be noted after seldom 100% charges. And it would not "stick" at 100% for many miles as others have reported.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    mknox
    Interesting. My Rated Miles @90% are currently at 216 and have been there since they dropped from 218 a while back. That has been my pattern. They will be at a given number each time, every time until it drops, then it will stay there. I never see any change whatsoever over firmware updates.

    I recently switched to % from Rated Miles on the dash because I was just obsessing too much about it. If I charge to 90%, the car shows 90%. I've never seen it go up, but if the car finished charging to 90% at work by, say 2:00 PM, it will be at 89% when I leave at 4:30 or 5:00. (Energy Savings OFF; Always Connected).
  • Aug 5, 2015
    Max*
    Hmm, you had me dig through my photo archive (I'm a bit obsessive), and I was wrong. I've been at 218 and 90% charged (the clock is the same on both photos).

    20150702_181323.jpg
    20150702_181327.jpg

    But I have also (other times) seen my car charge to 91% instead of 90% (though that could be my fault, if I didn't set the slider to exactly the right location?).

    This is a 70D.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    gaswalla
    Only 1500 miles and 218 miles at 90%? Is this a 70d?
  • Aug 5, 2015
    Max*

    Yep, but that was early July before a few roadtrips. I'm almost at 4,800 miles now (1.5 months into ownership), and my 90% still fluctuates between 214-218.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    mknox
    Well okay then. Mine is an 85, so maybe I need to order some new numbers from Tesla for my trunk lid!
  • Aug 5, 2015
    pmoa
    Mine shows 212 at 90%. I have 5000 miles on my car.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    Max*
    LOL! But to be fair you've had your car a long longer and have put on a lot more miles.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    ken830
    From all the previous threads about battery capacity and degradation, it always feels like the people with the most issues with range loss and unbalanced batteries are the 85kWh owners with "A" batteries from 2012 and May-ish 2013. We seem to have the most problems.

    I've had battery and range problems. I used to charge to 80% daily with really poor range and even battery failure. Now I'm charging to 90% daily and my repaired pack show 221 or 222 miles of rated range. I have over 51,000 miles (almost 10,000 miles on a loaner battery pack).
  • Aug 5, 2015
    gaswalla
    It so critical to put your battery and motor configuration here. I can't believe the guy who put 70d data without noting that it wasn't a 85 - sure way to screw up any data points. Also reminds us to not assume the cars are all 85s
  • Aug 5, 2015
    Max*
    Cry me a river.

    1. You can clearly see it's a 70D (or a 60) by the speedometer.
    2. There are too many threads asking the same thing. I answered in the previous thread stating it's a 70D - What's your 90%?
  • Aug 5, 2015
    AmpedRealtor
    It looks like I've recovered some range during my latest road trip. I supercharged to 100% yesterday on my way home from San Diego. I went to 298 ideal miles w/ Range Mode on, and then I was able to drive 5.5 miles before the range estimate dropped by 1 mile to 297 miles. So I am basically getting 302-303 ideal miles at 100% charge. My car is 2 years old with 25,000 miles. Looks like I have zero degradation! :)
  • Aug 5, 2015
    artsci
    My Model S is more than two years old and it appears I've had next to no battery degradation. I got about 224 miles out of standard charge in the beginning and got 223 today. A range charge got me about 245 in the beginning. On the trip to CA a number of full charges produced the same results.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    mknox
    Wow. I had to go back to some of my archived photos to see what you were talking about. My Speedo is calibrated up to 320 kW while yours goes to 240. I never realized that before!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ugh! I don't know why I obsess about this so much but it surely bugs me when my similarly aged car does so much worse. Tesla has checked it out and told me everything is working as designed. I guess I'm just on the low side of the curve for some reason.

    Last week, I asked Tesla why my car never, ever, ever runs the cooling system when I'm Supercharging while every other car is screaming away like they're ready for takeoff. Again they checked and said everything was okay and if my car needed cooling, it would come on.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    joer00
    You bought it used ?? My first P85 got 243 miles at 90 % charge and 272 at 100%. So if you have 223/245 your battery degraded about 10 % since new. It is all expected that the serious degradation happens in the beginning and then slows down.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    AmpedRealtor
    Why do I seem to have zero degradation after 2 years and 25,000 miles while others are down 10%? The only thing I did differently was I kept my battery charged at 50% for most of its first year.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    Max*
    Also your top speed I believe is 155, mine is 140.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    mknox
    Back to my photos and... nope, 140. Maybe the "P" models go higher??
  • Aug 5, 2015
    Max*
    Sorry, the 85D goes to 155, didn't realize the regular 85 is also 140.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    taurusking
    I am little bit confused...range charge a new car and you should get close to 265 miles. Mine was about 265 miles when I picked it and now it is 256-257 after range charge. I'm at 30K miles.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    spatterso911
    I'm at 32K miles, and it hits 225 rated miles on a standard charge. I saw about 243 rated miles on my most recent range charge. Its a 2013 P85, I've range charged about 6 times, and supercharged about 15-20 times max. I mostly drive evenings/early mornings, California weather. When new, it got 240-242 rated miles on a standard charge.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    artsci
    I never got that much out of a range charge.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    apacheguy
    1. Can you ask service to provide a CAC?

    2. It's probably due to your A pack. Read Owners blog post on the 90 v 120 kW charge off. Roblabs A pack did not activate the cooling fans while charging at 90.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    russman
    You know what I've learned from this thread? And I say this with the most polite intensions as possible.

    No one has a freakin clue how the battery works, how balancing works, how rated works, how ideal works, etc....

    So I wouldn't worry about it, since you have 8 years unlimited miles warranty for your battery. Come 7 years from now, if it's really horrific, Tesla should take care of it. Until then, quit worrying about the perceived mileage loss/non-loss/maybe loss/etc...

    As a side note, I have a 2014 S85 90% gives me 231 rated after about 25k miles. It used to be 240 at 90% I believe and 266 @ 100%. I will be charging to 100% again soon so will look just out of curiosity.

    Now if you're off by 25 - 50 miles, ask Tesla as I've heard people say they asked and they replaced batteries that weren't in spec. So if they say it's fine, then I'd go with it's fine.
  • Aug 5, 2015
    FLDarren
    Almost 2.5 years and only 13xxx miles? That's not a lot of miles. Wouldn't a bicycle have sufficed? lol Just kidding.
  • Aug 6, 2015
    smsprague
    June 2014 S85 with 18,000 miles - about 5,000 on Superchargers.

    228 at 90%. - my car charged to 262 new so a 3% loss of range.
  • Aug 6, 2015
    Matias
    Warranty doesn't cover capacity degradation.
  • Aug 6, 2015
    mknox
    Sorry, not sure what "CAC" is. I did ask them about my battery capacity "concerns" at a service visit, and they told me they ran some diagnostics and found no trouble with the battery and that it was "operating as designed". I assume they were looking for bad cells. Around that same time, my battery contactors failed and my car was in for a week undergoing repairs with the battery removed. Again, Tesla said the battery pack was "fine".

    I assume you're right about it being an A-pack. (Bugged a little by the fact that B-packs were shipping for months and somehow my car came with an A). Another forum member told me his A-pack does engage cooling. This was more of a "curiosity" than a "concern" because it didn't seem to affect anything. The reason I brought it up to Tesla is because another owner actually approached me at a Supercharger and thought I should tell them about it when he noticed my car was silent.

    To be honest, I expected this degradation when I ordered my car (ordered about a year before the Model S began shipping) and it was one of the reasons I went with an 85 over a 60. I figured a 60 would just cut it, but I didn't want to be in trouble if it degraded so went for the 85 thinking that even if it dropped to 60, I'd be okay. It seems I'm about equivalent to a new 70 right now. What I don't like is being one of only a very few who has seen this much of a drop.
  • Aug 6, 2015
    russman
    I disagree with that. Warranty doesn't cover "normal" wear.

    I guess the question is how do you define normal wear and I suspect Tesla has what are acceptable parameters. So I still say if you've got really bad degradation, they will replace it as they have for other people in the past.

  • Aug 6, 2015
    Mark Z
    November 2012 Sig P85 Version A battery:

    90% @ 223 miles with 47,000 miles on the battery.

    (52,000 car miles minus 5000 miles using a loaner battery during a power switch upgrade).

    Lowest charge level one time was 21 miles. About a half-dozen full charges (265 at first, last one at 250). I charge to 90% almost daily at a 5 to 24 amp rate with only occasional 80 amp speeds if I forget to plug-in at night. Supercharger trips on the version A battery as far as Idaho and Utah and a half-dozen shorter distances of about 500 to 800 miles. (Loved using the loaner version B battery at the 120 kW Superchargers to Oklahoma. Version A only accepts 90 kW.)
  • Aug 7, 2015
    Matias
    http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/model_s_quick_guide/Model_S_New_Vehicle_Limited_Warranty_NA_Touchscreen_6.2_R20150402_en_US.pdf

    "The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time

    and use. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is

    NOT covered under this Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty.
    "
  • Aug 7, 2015
    ken830
    Wow... Your car appears to be mine's closest twin. I also have an A battery. Also just hit 52,000 miles and also about 5,000 miles on a loaner pack due to a failed module that required 6-months for them to replace. Also seeing about 222-224 miles at 90%. Also really missed the B loaner battery because Supercharging was way faster.
  • Aug 7, 2015
    FlasherZ
    I'm guessing my old battery pack would have been similar. When it was retired last year (February), it was at 228 miles at 90% (246-247 range charge) @ 19k miles. The new one has fared much, much better.
  • Aug 7, 2015
    yobigd20
    If we're talking ideal here mine is 284 after 76k miles.

    b7d78d671e553f244a9985d1f256c5c0.jpg
  • Aug 7, 2015
    David99

    I have taken my VisibleTesla data and averaged the battery level out. Over the entire life of my car the average state of charge is 62%. I still have lost about 20 rated miles in 16 months and 56k miles.
  • Aug 7, 2015
    AmpedRealtor
    It does if the degradation is due to one or more failed modules.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét