Thứ Hai, 30 tháng 1, 2017

Roadster Upgrades Page on Tesla Website part 1

  • Oct 27, 2011
    NigelM
  • Oct 27, 2011
    Doug_G
  • Oct 27, 2011
    Mycroft
    Prices ... if you have to ask ... :smile:
  • Oct 27, 2011
    dsm363
    Smart on their part. Can finally order your CF parts from a reliable dealer.
    No Sector 111 style mirror with day/night switch though or an iPod/iPhone or mobile phone dock.
  • Oct 27, 2011
    dwegmull
    The interior sound reduction kit is $3000 plus sales taxes. The price is mainly due to the fact that they have to take most of the car apart to install it. I'm toying with the idea of getting it installed as part of my next yearly maintenance.
  • Oct 27, 2011
    jory
    adjustable suspension is $6000+tax (currently on backorder for 1-2 months in menlo park)
  • Oct 27, 2011
    richkae
    I did this for my 2.0 Roadster. I am very happy with it. I can now have a conversation at highway speeds ( with the top on )
  • Oct 27, 2011
    dhrivnak
    And I did this for my 1.5 and can use the bluetooth and talk through the radio. It definately helped.
  • Oct 27, 2011
    Odenator
    I wonder what they use for their NVH material and how it compares to Dynamat?
  • Oct 27, 2011
    7racer
    was the sound deadening standard on 2.5's?

    Mine sounds fine but I really don't know any difference.
  • Oct 27, 2011
    dsm363
    It should be included in all 2.5s.

    The carbon fiber door sills are $1,400 too.
  • Oct 27, 2011
    SByer
    +1 on the sound reduction kit. I had it done at the same time they did the window seal fix on my 1.5. Between the two, what a difference!

    I'm still thinking about the suspension and various CF bits. But I'd really like to see the headlight upgrade get posted. At this point, my bike like is brighter than my Roadster's headlights!
  • Oct 28, 2011
    dsm363
    I'll have the headlight upgrade in early December but I'm sure others will have it before then.
    I'm trying to decide if the carbon fiber door sills will look good if the rest of the interior doesn't have carbon fiber accents (it is an all black leather interior on a white car with exterior carbon fiber accents). Any thoughts?
  • Oct 28, 2011
    smoothoperator
    The CF sills are a major improvement over the stock plastic ones. My roadster has a black (with red inserts) interior and I think the sills were probably one best upgrades I have done thus far.
  • Oct 29, 2011
    jory
    speaking of upgrades, has anyone upgraded their single DIN radio setup (on a 1.5 or 2.0) to the 2.5 double DIN setup? cost happy with the decision? did you go with the stock double DIN head unit or another?
  • Oct 29, 2011
    dsm363
    I didn't upgrade but have the stock double din in my 2.5. I'd suggest looking around to see if you can find something better than the Alpine INA-W900.
  • Oct 29, 2011
    dhrivnak
    I ended adding 4 Dynamat kits to the Roadster sound kit. The majority of the Tesla material looked and applied very similar but Dynamat is a little thicker. The Roadster kit also had some fiber mats (reminded me of a comforter) that went behind the doors and seats.
  • Oct 29, 2011
    smoothoperator
    Single Din is also on the 2.5's (if you order a roadster without the upgraded electronics package)....From what I understand there is a crossmember which is located behind the radio which may prevent older Tesla Roadsters from merely putting in the double-din bezel and adding in a double-din head unit?
  • Nov 1, 2011
    augkuo
    I put in a single DIN flip up - you'd have to cut up the dash if you wanted a double DIN unit. The only disadvantage is that the screen will block the vents above the stereo. On the 2.5's the vents are smaller to accommodate the screen.

    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-P6300BT-Receiver-Control-Bluetooth/dp/B004HW6F88

  • Nov 2, 2011
    smoothoperator
    Tesla sells an upgraded bezel which replaces the vents with the half vents (as seen on the double-din models).

    2.5 Double Din Radio Bezel/surround for the NAV option.
  • Nov 2, 2011
    jory
    it sounds like you cannot retrofit a 1.5 or 2.0 model with the 2.5 model double DIN setup. someone in this thread suggests a metal cross-member in the dash is in the way, and when i asked tesla about this as a possible upgrade to my 2.0 they said it was not available (though did not specify why.)
  • Nov 5, 2011
    TEG
  • Nov 7, 2011
    Lancelac
    You can upgrade a 2.0 to the Double DIN. I am good friends with a fellow Tesla owner who did so (through Tesla). It was very expensive, but it looks phenomenal.
  • Nov 8, 2011
    jory
    according to jake joseph at menlo park tesla "As regards to the DDin radio, sadly that retrofit is not available."

    i'd be curious to understand how your friend got this done.
  • Nov 11, 2011
    smoothoperator

    Its not "available" because its a lot of work, it is definitely possible to do just very time consuming and labor intensive.
  • Nov 11, 2011
    dadaleus
    Yes, I was told by LA Service that they did it for Elon's favorite Roadster, but it took days of manual labor and they would never ever do it again (unless Elon asks them to of course).
  • Nov 19, 2011
    ipdamages
    Al & Ed's in West Hollywood ( AE54 ) does a double DIN conversion for 1.5s and 2.0s, as seen on Dr. Taras's car.

    Al Eds Autosound unveils AE Edition Tesla 2.5 at CES | West Hollywood

    They do lots of other things as well in that upgrade, including moving the speakers to the doors if you like. The air vents are not shrunk like in the stock 2.5 implementation, but are instead moved back onto the dash. I went by there yesterday and picked up some CF door sills, which are excellent. They installed them, but that simply meant pulling the existing ones off, which were held on by velcro, and pressing the CF ones into place. These are the ones available on eBay for $1,099, in all carbon - with no aluminum insert.

    TESLA MOTORS CARBON FIBER DOOR SILLS FOR ROADSTER | eBay

    - Chris
  • Dec 5, 2011
    dsm363
    The Tesla CF door sills look pretty sweet. They told me after they delivered mine but you have a choice between executive leather insert (black I think but not sure if others are options) or silver. They didn't even ask me and delivered the black leather insert which I like a lot. You just have to ask them what the options are when you order.
  • Dec 5, 2011
    Doug_G
    Where is this insert? Photo?
  • Dec 5, 2011
    dsm363
    Here's a picture:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3571&d=1323129427.jpg

    someone told me already but how do you make the picture you upload a bigger size than the thumbnail? Thanks.
  • Dec 5, 2011
    strider
    I assume if you go silver it's the same as the standard sills? That area is the whole reason I want to ditch the standard sills. I get scuff marks from my show soles on that silver piece. I'm interested to hear how the leather holds up.
  • Dec 5, 2011
    vfx
    It's silly we have to do this.
  • Dec 5, 2011
    Doug_G
    I've seen pictures without the insert. I'm not sure I'd want that. That's where your foot tends to drag across on entry.

    Click on it, copy the URL, and paste in using the Insert Image button (make sure to select URL and turn off "Retrieve remote file and reference locally").

    attachment.php?attachmentid=3571&d=1323129427.jpg
  • Dec 5, 2011
    Doug_G
    No kidding. It's quite annoying.
  • Dec 5, 2011
    dsm363
    Yeah. I had the standard door sills with that silver area. I believe that's what the ranger was talking about but I didn't verify that with Tesla. I was told these are much more resistant to scratching so I hope that's accurate. They certainly look better.
  • Dec 5, 2011
    dsm363
    Thanks. That worked great. I'm still getting the 'attached thumbnail' though but can see the larger image now.
  • Dec 5, 2011
    Doug_G
    Yeah, that has to be there. It you detach the thumbnail from the message the system deletes it automatically, even if you've linked directly to the image URL.
  • Dec 18, 2011
    DrTaras
    The originator not the imitator!

    Two years ago, Al & Ed's-West Hollywood turned the Tesla-world on its head when it completed the interior redesign that would be the inspiration for the 2.5!
    It can be done & by people who've done more aftermarket Teslas than probably all the other after marketers combined!
    That included a double DIN radio and air vents that were moved onto the dash.
    Notice also the FIRST carbon fiber door sills available for after market installation; ALL CF, no chintzy inserts!

    My car was previewed at CES in Lost Wages in January, 2010:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/3617-Tesla-CES?p=40369&viewfull=1#post40369
    2010_1_9-CES-LV%u002520014.jpg
  • Dec 18, 2011
    DrTaras
    You are soooooo right! Al & Ed's Autosound is a misnomer because they do so much from painting your car, to changing the exterior & of course, as noted above, changing the interior.

    If you can dream it, they can do it; if you can't dream it, but want someone to dream for you, they can do that too!
    I saw them take a Rolls DropHead, put a 4 bottle wine chiller and cigar humidor in the trunk!
    In a Bentley for a Professional Poker Player they put a secret thin automated tray safe openable by a thumb print reader so he could store his jewels and cash!

    They do plenty of STARS but they do Teslas for LESS than you'd think because they are passionate about EVs! Ask for Elie!
    Here is some more info on what they've done and some other satisfied customers from earlier posts:
    TMC: Customized Roadsters
  • Dec 24, 2011
    DrTaras
    Skid Guards: Cure for the Front End Driveway Rash

    The newest customization that Al & Ed's - WeHo has done for me are Skid Guards: Cure for the Front End Driveway Rash!
    3/8" ABS plastic. Elie said: "This provides the perfect balance of flexibility that is needed when you are scrapping and rigidity to protect the bumper from cracking."
    photo1.JPG photo3.JPG
    Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy New Year & Happy Festivus! :rolleyes:
  • Jan 2, 2012
    S-2000 Roadster
    "when you are scrapping"? I hope I never have to scrap my Roadster!
    Then again, I am frequently scraping my bumper.

    :wink:
  • Jan 3, 2012
    zack
    I scrape the bolts on a regular basis and have not yet seen any body damage, but the idea of breaking a bumper doesn't sit well. Luckily, no steep driveways where I am at the moment.
  • Jan 3, 2012
    DrTaras
    I actually did 'scrap' my 1st roadster (Tree Hugs Roadster Owner) but these guards will not help in preventing that!
    Ugh, spelin wuz nevvr me swong zuit! :cursing:
  • Jan 13, 2012
    jory
    here is a picture of what they call the "diaper" behand the seats (same type as in the doors)

    attachment.php?attachmentid=3857&d=1326442118%20.jpg
    here are some images of the liner that goes in the wheelwells:

    attachment.php?attachmentid=3858&d=1326442194.jpg

    attachment.php?attachmentid=3859&d=1326442227.jpg

    and finally, some shots of the dynamat as applied to an early "engineering" 2.5:

    attachment.php?attachmentid=3860&d=1326442466.jpg

    attachment.php?attachmentid=3861&d=1326442470.jpg

    attachment.php?attachmentid=3862&d=1326442499.jpg

    CIMG0022.jpg CIMG0026.jpg CIMG0025.jpg CIMG0023.jpg CIMG0028.jpg CIMG0024.jpg
  • Jan 13, 2012
    vfx
    Can we start a Upgrade to double din thread?
  • Jan 19, 2012
    jory
    is it possible for an admin to create the new thread and move over existing content by administrative fiat or does existing content have to be recreated in a new thread?
  • Jan 27, 2012
    jory
    the adjustable suspension parts finally came in to menlo park this month. i got my car back today and i have to say that the adjustable suspension (with the dampers on the softest setting + the previously installed sound deadening kit + stock tires in lower pressure "comfort" setting) gives the roadster a notably smoother/quieter ride on bumpy city streets. the experience is just different. i am pleased.

    thus far i am more mixed on the hard top given its apparent propensity to contribute squeaks and groans even with multiple service adjustments. i'll be curious to compare (with a switch) to the soft top at some point after the (intermittent) san francisco rainy season is over.
  • Jan 27, 2012
    doug
    The double din upgrade stuff got moved here.
  • Feb 17, 2012
    NigelM
    Got my Roadster back today. While they were doing the annual service I got the hard-top fitted and had the vents upgraded, sills, waterfalls and instrument binacles in CF. Tesla (Dania Beach) did a nice job:

    hardtop.jpg

    vents.jpg

    sills.jpg

    waterfall 2.jpg

    waterfall.jpg

    Fell in love with my car all over again....:biggrin:
  • Feb 23, 2012
    smorgasbord
    That looks like a v1.5 pictured. Do they have a version for v2.5s? I believe they would have to be a bit different. What's the approximate cost?

    Self install possible? If not, I'd ask Tesla to install them for me.
  • Feb 23, 2012
    DrTaras
  • Jan 22, 2013
    markwj
  • Jan 22, 2013
    smorgasbord
    Come'on Tesla! Stop with the silly stuff like parking lamps and sound deadening and give us some real upgrades!

    Like a water-cooled PEM.
    Like a water-cooled motor.
    Like a brake upgrade.

    Let's get real - Laguna Seca EV Track Day is coming!
  • Jan 22, 2013
    palmer_md
    These plus a 75kWh pack and supercharger access and I'm in!
  • Jan 22, 2013
    ipdamages
    I guess I had never seen Ian's note on the skid-guards for the 2.5 front end, so pardon the one-year delay in responding, but yes, Elie did install skid guards on my 2.5 front end. I can happily also relay that I have taken a few scrapes on the front and I haven't touched my 2.5 front bumper, but instead only scraped the skid-guards.

    As to the question of upgrades that would engage the Roadster-owner's soul, I second (or third, or fourth...) the proposal for a battery pack/PEM/drive upgrade. I have gotten all the CF and appearance-related upgrades I desire. That said, the company's focus now appears to be Model S/X, and I don't blame them for that. They are in my opinion doing a good job of executing on that which is mission critical. Indulging their early adopters would be nice, but not really in shareholders' best interest. Even once they are able to pull some resources away from Model S/X, I expect those to be assigned to Gen III.

    If it were easy to develop a better battery pack for the Roadster, then sure, do it. I'd love it. But you know it would cost an arm and a leg and the other arm and the other leg. You'd be the black knight, driving the Roadster - "Come back here! I'll bite your knees off!"

    So will it happen? I'm certainly not qualified to opine on that. Certainly there is a germ of an idea there, given that they have found a way to develop a seemingly superior battery pack and PEM combo for the Model S. But is that able to be implemented in a retro-fit for the Roadster, which is much smaller and can't really use a skateboard? Maybe others more knowledgeable can shed some insight.

    All that said, I've seen at least one person (PRJIM) who seems to think that Roadster almost all owners are bailing on their Roadsters to get a Model S. And happily, I have seen others chime in and say that is a load of crap. Well add me to that crew, because even without upgrades I love my Roadster, and I have zero interest in getting rid of it for a Model S. The cars are SO different, and I am just not a candidate for a car that large. Can't see out of it, can't park it in public or in many garages, and it is nowhere near as nimble as the Roadster. So if upgrades come along, great. If not, that's fine too. I admit concern about going out of warranty, but I am currently willing to go there (self-insure) as there is no other car for which I would want to trade in my Roadster. Not even close.

    Maybe if I win the lottery and the "production" version of the Concept One isn't quite the size of the Model S/Panamera/Karma/7-Series/Land Rover... Now THAT would engage my soul!
  • Jan 22, 2013
    ViperDoc
    Yes, I second ipdamages' thoughts. I will not bail on my Roadster for a Model S�although my wife has a Model S already. Nonetheless, having heard Tesla (via their reps) say that they intend to take care of the Roadster owners who got the company through the early tough years by continuing some level of development for the Roadster, I have to believe they will try to come through. I have had Tesla reps tell me (before the Model S was out), that they already knew Roadster owners wanted some sort of retrofit to try to get supercharging in a Roadster. They could not confirm anything in particular but acknowledged that it was at least being looked at. Being able to take long Roadtrips in my Roadster is a big deal, and I would love that potential. I have wondered: If I can afford the new so-called Model R that will arrive one day, would I pony up? Well, perhaps I would just for that feature�but I doubt I will be able to given the shelling out for the Roadster and Model S we now have�so I sure hope Tesla's Skunk Works is trying to figure out how to get us a long range battery/super charging. It will be pricey, but cheaper than a Model R!
  • Jan 22, 2013
    hcsharp
    I can't help but wonder if one reason they haven't installed any HPCs at the supercharger sites is because they are planning an upgrade for the Roadster to be able to supercharge.

    - - - Updated - - -

    @ViperDoc, how soon will it be 20 years that you've had your Viper on the road? :smile:
  • Jan 22, 2013
    Raffy.Roma
    Agree :)
  • Jan 22, 2013
    frequencydip
    I scrape all the time, wouldn't the skid gards scrape more since it adds material to the front bumper. Does anyone know if the adjustable suspension increases/lesons or stays the same with scraping?
  • Jan 22, 2013
    ipdamages
    It adds about 3/16"-1/4", so I don't think it adds much to the scrape quantity, but I admit that I had the same concern.

    If you scrape all the time, FD, do you perceive risk of or have you seen front end damage? If not, perhaps there is already some hearty scrape/skid guard in the front bumper.
  • Jan 23, 2013
    smoothoperator2
    Not a bad price in that it includes installation. Might be worth it if these were LED's, does anyone know?
  • Jan 23, 2013
    wiztecy
    My parking lights are already white.... I thought they all were. This would be just a bulb replacement since the headlights are perma-sealed. Would have to contact Tesla to see if they're LED. I thought the originals were LED but I just looked and I can see a glass bulb in there.
  • Jan 23, 2013
    ViperDoc
    Hi Henry!

    It isn't a Viper, it is a 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT/VR-4. Unfortunately just past 238,000 miles, the rear transaxle started leaking steering fluid. That was about 1.5 years ago. It was in the shop for months before someone would work on it because the rust underneath had gotten so bad (the problem of an all-season car, even one kept in the garage, that lived through the winters in CT and VT). After I finally found a shop that would touch it, an attempt at an easy repair failed. So it is back at that shop. We are waiting for a kit to come off back-order that basically takes the rear wheel steering out (it is all wheel steering). That would stop the leak and make the car a normal front wheel steering car plus take 26 pounds of metal away! If that doesn't ever come through, I guess it is EOL for that car. I had hoped the 3000 could remain my winter car, but my Roadster is holding up nicely in the snow!
  • Jan 23, 2013
    smorgasbord
    I've read that cars kept in garages rust faster than cars kept outdoors. I forget the mechanism since I now live in CA.
  • Jan 23, 2013
    7racer
    the 3000GT VR4 is the real deal. Please keep it forever!

    my car is a 94 RX-7. Car I have always wanted but it is chronically on jack stands. It runs great but have been debating selling it to make room for the upcoming X
    :(
  • Jan 23, 2013
    markwj
    Another one just appeared:

    1.5/2.0 Roadster Front Facia Upgrade
    1.5 Tesla Motors

    $ 2,800.00 USD

    roadster_front_bumper_upgrade_1_large.jpg
  • Jan 23, 2013
    Doug_G
    Chemical reactions, such as corrosion, typically progress faster in warmer temperatures. Garages are usually warmer than outdoors, especially heated garages.
  • Jan 23, 2013
    pgwoosley
    Re facia upgrades to 2.5 style, does anyone know if you get to keep the old (1.5/2.0) facia in case you decide to reconvert?
  • Jan 23, 2013
    wiztecy
    Yes you'll be able to keep your old nose unless you tell them to scrap it.
  • Jan 24, 2013
    DrTaras
    No problem for the delay. I echo my satisfaction with the skid guards!
    I'm about to have my OPRAH-moment and y'all are my audience for the first public announcement... Gulp ...
    I will be selling TESLA-sterone (My Roadster)! There, I said it! :crying:

    I don't have any more details on the price, when (it will be in the next 6 months), or how (dealer vs. self) as I have only recently made this decision, but let me explain why...

    First, I love my Roadster. Always have (okay, well I loved BOTH my Roadsters in series, not parallel) & always will!
    The Model S was supposed to be for my wife. After the 1st week with it, she complained that it was too low! That's how I knew that indeed there were 31 different flavors of ice cream because for me it was too high. I asked her to drive it for a month to see if she'd change her perspective, but alas, even after a month she would much rather return to her full-size SUV. My choice was to sell the S or sell the Roadster. I'm not able to afford both. For a number of reasons, I've opted to sell the Roadster. That being said, if someone asks, which is more fun to drive, then hands down its the Roadster for all the reasons that ipdamages wrote and more!

    Okay, I need to step away from the keyboard before I electrocute myself with the tears that are falling in between the keys! :cursing:
  • Jan 24, 2013
    smorgasbord
    Excuse me while I scrape my chin off the floor.

    I would have thought that selling the S and getting in line for Model X for your wife would be a good path. Do you really want to end up with both a Model S and a Model X? Wouldn't a Roadster and a Model X give you some differentiation?

    - - - Updated - - -

    And considering the number of front-end accidents Roadsters seem to get into, it's probably worth quite a bit on the parts market.
  • Jan 24, 2013
    GSP
    Yes, but the car will be pelted by rain, snow, and hail outdoors. The higher humidity is enough to accelerate corrosion outdoors vs. inside the garage.

    GSP

    PS. Back on topic: I am glad to see Tesla is still pursuing Roadster upgrades
  • Jan 24, 2013
    Jackyche
    These cosmetic updates are neat and all but how about some real world issues.....

    1. Charging with EVSE's that's higher than 70amps.
    2. Tire learning features for us 1.5's
  • Jan 24, 2013
    Doug_G
    You park a car covered in ice in a warm garage, and the next morning it'll be a humid garage with a soaking wet car in it. At least that's been my experience.
  • Jan 24, 2013
    smorgasbord
    Rear Hitch Receiver: $380 installed: Rear Hitch Receiver

    Only 150 lbs tongue weight - for bicycles only, not towing. Requires mods to rear diffuser. For all models. Small receiver (1"?).
  • Jan 24, 2013
    ElSupreme
    How many sub-4 second 2 seat sportscars offer a hitch at all as an option. This is great.
  • Jan 24, 2013
    wiztecy
    You could even add a cargo box onto the hitch and have space if you need it for long trips. Just have to stay under the 150lb. tounge weight. Nice seeing them offer that.
  • Jan 24, 2013
    Doug_G
    Well, that's a surprise! I'm sure people will find clever uses for that.
  • Jan 24, 2013
    Alan
  • Jan 24, 2013
    Raffy.Roma
  • Jan 25, 2013
    ipdamages
    Here are a couple pics of my skid guards. I'd say they are more like 3/8" thick. But seeing the first pic, with the underneath view, I appreciate all the more having them on there. skid guards 1.jpg
    A second view: skid guards 2.jpg
  • Jan 25, 2013
    ChadS
    Wow, $380 installed?! That's incredibly reasonable (I certainly paid more for mine!). Kudos to Tesla.

    HERE is a link to what some Roadster owners (including me) have done with their hitches. If any owners in my area add a hitch, they are welcome to borrow my ugly cargo box. (I probably won't use it anymore now that we have a Model S. I will continue to use the bike rack on the Roadster, though).
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét