Thứ Năm, 24 tháng 11, 2016

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013 part 8

  • Feb 23, 2013
    ModelX
    Very good!
  • Feb 23, 2013
    dsm363
    Great work Steve. If the New York Times doesn't make this right there is little hope for legitimate news anymore. All we have left is The Daily Show.
  • Feb 23, 2013
    doug
    My guess is it's written by James G. Cobb, the NYT Automobiles editor. He had a bunch of what could be seen as anti-Tesla tweets last week and interpreted Margaret Sullivan's follow-up piece 180 degrees from how many interpreted it here.
  • Feb 23, 2013
    artsci
    A very well written letter Steve. Please let us know if you receive a response. My guess is that it will be another defensive reply. The Gray Lady is indeed slipping.
  • Feb 23, 2013
    Beavis
    Steve, nicely done but would you consider editing your letter to fit within the NYT's character limit so it can be published?
  • Feb 23, 2013
    Rodolfo Paiz
    Steve's writing is, as usual, compelling and articulate. A very thoughtful and well-reasoned piece... bravo indeed! Now, I wonder what the NYT will do.
  • Feb 23, 2013
    vfx
    Can someone write a Op-Ed?
  • Feb 23, 2013
    Beavis
    By the way, my way to defend against unauthorized use of my posts was to change my user name to Beavis. Nobody is going to quote Beavis.
  • Feb 23, 2013
    stevezzzz
    Thanks for the support, everyone. 'Beavis', where do I find the NYT guidelines for submissions? I'll think about sending my letter to someone at the paper other than the ombudsman.
  • Feb 23, 2013
    dsm363
  • Feb 23, 2013
    hcsharp
    It's shocking to me that a publication with a reputation like the NYT would resort to quoting out of context posts from TMC, especially without contacting anybody for permission. This isn't Jalopnik or Rush. The entire article is nothing more than a compilation of misleading and often anonymous quotes, with the last word at every turn being anti-EV, while framing the article as unbiased. Then ending with the final ultimate insult that "no normal driver" would use one for primary transportation, effectively dismissing all tens of thousands of us who are doing just that as part of some kind of fringe element. Of all the anti-EV gibberish the author sifted through for this piece, that quote was chosen for it's unique ability to do everything the author wanted: Delivering final judgement from an authority that "No normal driver" would think we were rational.

    And so I'm off to pick up my son from his basketball practice, like many other parents. And tomorrow I'll go shopping at the same stores they will. On Monday I'll commute to work. But unlike the other parents, my driving patterns are simply "not normal." Go figure.
  • Feb 23, 2013
    Seegem
    +1! hahahaha, and colbert :) for being "fair and balanced"!
  • Feb 23, 2013
    stevezzzz
  • Feb 23, 2013
    vfx
    You did not put it in a blog or a website. Does a post on a forum even count as "publishing"? It's more like a conversation in small circle tan a speech.
  • Feb 24, 2013
    jkirkebo
    You'd be even safer as "Butthead" ;)
  • Feb 24, 2013
    Beavis
    Really, you could use any inappropriate, celebrity, or political name and I think they would choose to pass on quoting you. Maybe Doug will let me change it again to Dick Armey. That hits all 3.
  • Feb 24, 2013
    jcstp
    I surely want to see an other big roadtip! ;-)
    Maybe making it a habit every time a supercharger opens!!!!
  • Feb 24, 2013
    brianman
    Maybe it's time to change my nick to TraditionalMediaAreUnethical. Would be interesting to see them quoting that name.
  • Feb 25, 2013
    artsci
    How about a MediaLies nick?
  • Feb 25, 2013
    lolachampcar
    Thanks to all that made the recreation happen.
  • Feb 25, 2013
    teslasguy
    While on our teslaroadtrip I was updating my Facebook with trip details.
    I had posted that my car was tweeting details and concerned that she might soon be asking for her own match.com account.
    My daughter posted the following response...
    "I don't think your car needs a Match.com account-she's found her perfect match in you! Valerie might need a Match.com account if you keep spending so much time with that Tesla lady:)"
    Get no respect from kids anymore. I've told my daughter many times that her name is Nicoletta, NOT "that Tesla lady"! :wink:
  • Feb 25, 2013
    Borgie
    I've been reading this thread intently since the beginning. To say I'm outraged by the NYTimes is an understatement, but particularly so since the 2/22 piece. This is an outrageously biased piece of "reporting," as many have already noted. I've learned long ago to be skeptical of the accuracy of any media outlet. I've seen bias, inaccuracies, and outright lies far too many times. I read the NYTimes every day, but I am always on guard and aware that what I ready may not be true. I just wish that everyone read it the same way, but I think most who read the Times view it as the last word.

    My Model S is due for delivery to my home in the Northeast soon (hopefully within the next 1-2 weeks). I am now strongly considering flying to SF and picking up the car at the factory. Then, to prove that it is indeed possible (with a bit of planning) to drive it across the US without much difficulty. Having said that, I also believe the focus on long-distance driving is terribly and tragically misplaced. As well all know, the typical driver doesn't drive anywhere near the limits of the Model S's range in a single day. Range is really a total non-issue 99% of the time. But, it's what everyone seems to want to talk about. It saddens me that this mis-focus could stand in the way of widespread adoption of a technology that is exciting and potentially world-changing.

    I'd like to thank stevezzzz for a thoughtfully crafted letter. He is absolutely right, but his words will likely never find the light of day on the pages of the NYTimes.
  • Feb 25, 2013
    JRP3
    I don't know if you are aware but the cross country Model S trip has already been done.
  • Feb 25, 2013
    Borgie
    Yeah, but I 'm just so mad about the range "controversy" that I just feel like piling on. I may not do it, as I've worked on an itinerary and it takes me way south to avoid the snow. May not be worth it. But....it's a thought!
  • Feb 25, 2013
    stevezzzz
    You're welcome, Borgie: can't let the gray lady get away with stuff like this without a fight. I haven't heard back from either the NY Times Public Editor (who functions as an ombudsman) or the Op-Ed desk (I've sent them both letters), but there is one minor victory to report: the day after I sent my letter to the Public Editor, the online version of the 2/22 story was modified to link to both my original post (the one they lifted a quote from) and the follow-up post where I responded to learning I'd been quoted out of context and without my knowledge or permission.
  • Feb 25, 2013
    jcstp
    you could use these chargers! Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour
    They have up to 80amp on most chargers
  • Feb 25, 2013
    Robert.Boston
    Yep, at this time of the year, you'll almost certainly have to use I-20 or similar routes. Most of your charging will be at RV sites with "50 Amp service," but most RV campgrounds in snowy climes are closed for the winter.
  • Feb 25, 2013
    napabill
    Twice
  • Feb 25, 2013
    rolosrevenge
    Can you point me to details of it?
  • Feb 25, 2013
    napabill
    While I agree that range driving for distance represents a very small % of average use, I think the Tesla has created a conundrum. Because "Tess" is so d*** much fun to drive, driving a distance seems important and desirable. So unless Tesla dumbs down the car and makes it less enjoyable to drive, range will remain an issue.
  • Feb 25, 2013
    Norbert
    I think the Model S goes far enough to show that range will become less and less of an issue, as infrastructure (and battery technology) improves.

    Even with Tesla just building more Superchargers, electric cars on freeways, and re-charging at stops, will become part of life, and end of this year, the general perception of electric cars will have changed.
  • Feb 25, 2013
    napabill
    Check out the the blog Electric Road Trips in an S | Road Trips in an all electric Tesla Model S written by one of TMC regulars. Unfortunately he stopped doing entries a little over half way. The other trip was done fairly early in the release of the Signatures and was done by a young couple going from the Fremont factory to Wash DC. It is documented somewhere in TMC.

    Note to Mods: Any chance we could get a dedicated area somewhere for road trips?
  • Feb 25, 2013
    gg_got_a_tesla
  • Feb 25, 2013
    brianman
    And this, boys and girls, is why teslasguy is sleeping in the Model S each night rather than next to his wife. Originally, he did it as a lark to "test the seats" but his wife took away his house keys after that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I somewhat agree with you on this one. I'm very quickly building an unhealthy hatred for < 220V/40A charging.

    Hush. Don't even whisper of such a notion!
  • Feb 26, 2013
    jcstp
  • Feb 26, 2013
    aaron.s
    Thanks for posting the TE Episode, jcstp!!!

    Aaron
  • Mar 10, 2013
    Jack
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét