Thứ Năm, 24 tháng 11, 2016

CHAdeMO Adapter part 7

  • Jan 29, 2015
    Gerardf
    Yes, I fully agree it should be.. But I have not seen references to a European CHadeMO adapters yet (on the other hand, maybe I missed some posts on the forum :) )
  • Jan 29, 2015
    iffatall
    -- Sorry, misunderstood a previous post --
  • Jan 29, 2015
    dpeilow
    I thought superchargers used PLC signaling like the CCS standard. It was previously said Model S just needed a dumb CCS adapter as opposed to CHAdeMO needing an active adapter.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    ItsNotAboutTheMoney
    As I understand it the Supercharger starts as CCS does, but then does additional communication, which is why adapting to CCS should be easy.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    dpeilow
    Yes that was my understanding.

    CAN bus has 4 lines. Plus CHAdeMO has additional analogue interlocks.


    Does beg the question as to why Tesla hadn't released a CCS adapter already.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    AnalysiZ
    Smokescreen???? :rolleyes::tongue::wink:?
  • Jan 29, 2015
    tga

    Also, the UMC/HPWC is just ordinary J1772 signaling. The only difference it Tesla's use of a proprietary physical connector format. There is no electronics in the J1772 adapter; it's just a dumb physical adapter.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    skn
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating! De uitkomst zal het leren.
    IMAG1081.jpg
  • Jan 29, 2015
    pvh
    mhh, is maar 32kW....... Mogelijk ivm reeds redelijk opgeladen accu?
  • Jan 29, 2015
    skn
    Oh yes.. I was already at 257 km (hence the +21km) and had been driving for a bit (warm battery?) and I did not stay for too long as I did not need the charge and there were Taxi drivers waiting for me to finish.

    One of these days I hope I can draw the promised 135 kW

    I just wanted to check if actually worked :biggrin:
  • Jan 29, 2015
    pvh
    CHAdeMO adapters delivering

    En toch zou je als de CHAdeMO lader en 50Kw versie is, 42kW moeten kunnen halen met de Tesla, en ook op 278km. Ik heb in Zevenaar bij 349 km (90%) geladen aan 34kW

    683d6ddba679fc5e77a0209c054745e4.jpg
  • Jan 29, 2015
    skn
    I don't remember signing up for beta testing :redface: You had me worried for a while!
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Matias
    Great news! Could you please post some pictures of it!
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Panu
  • Jan 29, 2015
    skn
    IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG

    IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
  • Jan 29, 2015
    skn
    Oh my.. There must be something wrong! Did they mistake me for someone else? And I am not even Dutch :)

    Edit: Just called Tesla and was informed that I am one of the few who has received it so far, but they are rolling it out for sure.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Matias
    That was quick! :biggrin:
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Panu
    Great! Wonder when we can order one too (not listed in the EU shop).
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Panu
    Good, any comment about the EU shop?
  • Jan 29, 2015
    skn
    Did not ask but if I were you I would call up and ask :)
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Panu
    Yeah :smile:, actually I'm going to get my S85 in late April (current estimate) so I'm not that much in hurry, just very interested. Anyway very nice to hear you got the adapter. That probably means I'm going to get one when I get my car.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    skn
    Yup, I am based in Amsterdam and so is the S.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Hmm... I just got a notification of a software update. Given that I did update to 6.1 recently, this new message seems odd. Anyway wont have time to update till night. Will let you know if it is anything related to CHAdeMO or just incremental fixes dripping through.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    pvh
    Ok, seems this topic is moved? It was previously located at the Dutch section.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    skn
    Looks like it. I thought the US market had the adapter from long time ago and it was only recently released in EU/NL.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    widodh
    No, you are a very special Tesla owner at the moment
  • Jan 29, 2015
    pvh
    Why is this topic moved? This is related to the Dutch market....
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Matias
    You are The Only known Tesla owner outside Japan to have Chademo (if we exclude NDA beta owners) ;)
  • Jan 29, 2015
    skn
    I may know why, but can't elaborate though.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Matias
    you-are-the-chosen-one.jpg
  • Jan 29, 2015
    T.blomer
    Love to see some more pictures about the charging power. Hope it will reach at least 50kW. That would really help in areas where there is no supercharger and destination charging is not possible.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    skn
    I will try to drain the battery and then try to charge. Anything else I need to do?
  • Jan 29, 2015
    T.blomer
    To be honest, I don't know if there is difference between different Chademo chargers. I would be specially interested in the power of the new TheNewMotion chargers and the FastNed chargers.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Cottonwood
    I think that this will be very CHAdeMO charger dependent. Most chargers have a current and a power limit.

    For example, the Nissan CHAdeMO units are limited to 125 Amps and 50 kW. A nearly empty battery on an 85 is about 360 Volts. 360V * 125A = 45kW, so a nearly empty battery will only get 45kW from such a charger. When nearly full, the 85 battery is at about 400V, and 400V*125A=50kW, but the 85 can't accept 50kW at that State of charge.

    Every CHAdeMO will be a little different in it's limitations and how well it can charge a Tesla.

    Let's just hope that the sustained power draw of an MS does not cook too many CHAdeMO chargers that were tested with much lower capacity cars. :eek: If the CHAdeMO interface provides charger make/model info, then Tesla may be throttling charger draw on known weaker chargers to avoid overloading CHAdeMO's designed to charge a car the size of a Leaf.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    randompersonx
    I'd also suggest to test out going from a low state of charge to 90% to see the maximum charge rate at the low end, and make sure that the charger does't overheat by the time it's nearly full.
  • Jan 29, 2015
    mgboyes
    Apparently there are 30 units in the UK going out to early reservation holders by the end of this week.

    I am not one of them :-(
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Gerardf
  • Jan 29, 2015
    arg
    That's what many of us believed, based on public statements from Tesla about it being "the same as SAE DC, apart from the connector".

    However, when people started reverse-engineering the protocol (there was a thread on here about a year ago) the Supercharger turns out to be a simple CAN bus over the pilot pins, so actually closer in some senses to CHAdeMO than to CCS.
  • Jan 30, 2015
    widodh
    I got an e-mail from Tesla that I'm number 59 on the waitinglist for the adapter.

    Now skn got his one in NL/EU I hope I'll receive mine soon!
  • Jan 30, 2015
    T.blomer
    When did you order your adapter? I ordered mine in March of last year.
  • Jan 30, 2015
    widodh
    13-06-2013. No, 2013 is not a typo.
  • Jan 30, 2015
    T.blomer
    Oh then I am afraid my wait is not over yet.
  • Jan 30, 2015
    hiroshiy
    I have experienced one incompatibility out of three to four CHAdeMO chargers in Japan, especially Nissan's slim model. I think they are less common in NL and other parts of Europe.
    Please share any incompatibility information such as charger brand. I asked Tesla charging team to fix the issues but currently they are not listening.
  • Jan 30, 2015
    pvh
    I am afraid the issue will not be fixed. Those chargers are build for charges of 15-20 kW (not the speed, the charge) and maybe they are capable of charging 2 cars in a row, where the speed reduces as the battery gets full. With a S the battery is not even half full at twice the charge of another EV, and will drain 45kW continuously until the battery is 85% full... The CHAdeMO we use here are most of the time combined with AC 43kW. and Combo 60-100kW. In 2013 we had CHAdeMO with AC chargers, that were very bad (Nissan) and all were changed with mostly ABB chargers. If you have the Nissan ones, I also think they are high maintenance, and seems maintenance was not the top priority of Nissan as I can recal. The chargers aircooling system were full of dust and other nasty stuff which eventualy made the chargers break down.
  • Jan 30, 2015
    Mario Kadastik
    Well I ordered mine 25-11-2013, so I sent an e-mail to the order confirmation e-mail as a reply asking how far down the waiting list I am and what's the approximate ETA, we'll see :) Could definitely use the adapter if it arrived before I have to start giving lectures in a town 190km away (380km round trip in winter) with our ELMO chargers every 50km. The lectures start 9th of February so I'm not too hopeful ;)
  • Jan 31, 2015
    widodh
    I wonder if skn tried the adapter with a near empty battery already?
  • Jan 31, 2015
    Mario Kadastik
    I think being the first non-beta owner he now has an enormous community obligation to test and report. Sleep is secondary ;)
  • Jan 31, 2015
    wk057
    As a DC charging adapter, the chademo adapter will have a data link to the car via the charge port it will have to use to translate chademo<->tesla. I'm sure it will identify itself as a chademo adapter and the car can respond accordingly, if they so desired, in software.

    The superchargers are a little different as the car must both be enabled and authenticate with the supercharger before it will DC charge. There should be no such authentication with the chademo adapter.
  • Jan 31, 2015
    jkirkebo
    The newer EU chargers run on 480V via step-up transformers and can deliver 150kW total split between the two pedestals. I have charged at 120kW on one while the neighbour got 30kW on his (same SC, he had a nearly empty battery also). The step-up transformers are rated at 160kW input but there are some losses in the transformer and the chargers.

    Max for one car is still ~120kW (I have seen 122kW once).
  • Feb 1, 2015
    dpeilow
    Unfortunately in the UK most rapid chargers are derived from that badly designed Nissan one. There are 25% offline at the present time. The manufacturers and operators have been promising various upgrades and it seems to make little difference. The issues were identified early on, as they were in the Netherlands, but here they decided to stick with the original units and roll out about 200 more.
  • Feb 1, 2015
    widodh
  • Feb 1, 2015
    FlasherZ
    Ah cool, so they're basically just recreating the US standards for the superchargers. Same cabinet, then, I presume and the use of 277V L-N just like the US.
  • Feb 1, 2015
    widodh
    Sure? I checked Koge in Denmark last week, brand new, SuperCharger Gen II 135kW maximum.


    But to get back ontopic, now the adapter seems to be delivered in the Netherlands and I'm #59 on the list I wonder when I'm getting mine :)
  • Feb 1, 2015
    Mario Kadastik
    How'd you find out you are #59?
  • Feb 1, 2015
    jkirkebo
    The 135kW limit is for a single car, not the total power split between two cars. But you won't get 135kW in a Model S as that assumes 340A at 400V. At 400V the amperage is way lower in the S. Try charging two TMS with low batteries on the same SC there and I'm sure you will see at least 150kW in total (probably 120kW on the first car and 30kW on the second).

    Same goes for the older 120kW SCs like the one on Lillehammer, max for one car is about 106kW. Not 120kW.
  • Feb 1, 2015
    widodh
    Ah, the label on the cabinet said 135kW.

    E-Mail the EU shop and ask.
  • Feb 2, 2015
    Mario Kadastik
    I did on Friday, no response yet ;) I just hope they haven't accidentally forgotten me off the waiting list, that's why I just in case quoted the original e-mail response from them where they confirmed adding me to the waiting list ;)
  • Feb 2, 2015
    skn
    Finally got the chance to test the adapter at a lower battery. Started with 90km estimated range and charged at a CHAdeMO point in Amsterdam. The best I got was 366V and 109A (approx. 40kW) though the system was setup for 500V and 120A. These are the pics:
    IMAG1094.jpg
    IMAG1095.jpg IMAG1096.jpg
    IMAG1093.jpg

    AppScreenshot.png
  • Feb 2, 2015
    mgboyes
    Sorry but that bears no resemblance to what I have seen in the UK, and goes against all the arguments/logic about how SC cabinets are configured in the US and elsewhere that I have seen. Do you have a source/reference for this? Examples of such transformers in use? Which country have you seen this setup in?

    US SC units are a stack of twelve x 10kW charge units (same as the ones in US cars) hence 120kW.
    EU SC units are a stack of twelve x 11kW 3 phase charge units (same as the ones in EU cars) hence 132kW which is rounded up to 135kW for labeling.
    There are no step up transformers at any UK supercharger site that I've visited or seen photos of.
    In countries where 400V 3 phase power is common why on earth would you go to the huge expense and hassle of stepping up slightly to 480V?

    The rating label on a Gen II 135kW supercharger says input of 380-480V 3phase at up to 192A. 192A is exactly what you need to drive 12 European charge modules at 16A per phase each. That's 133kW total at an EU standard 400V (230V L-N on each phase).

    The maximum current output of a Gen II 135kW supercharger is 330A continuous so it could not possibly charge two cars at a total of 150kW between them. When you and an adjacent car saw a total that exceeded 120kW are you sure that you were both connected to the same SC cabinet. At some large SC sites the paired bays aren't adjacent - they sometimes install them as e.g. 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B.

    Here's the spec label on one of the SC cabinets at the Maidstone charger in the UK:

    IMG_2160.JPG
  • Feb 4, 2015
    jomo25
    Just got an email from Tesla informing me that I can place an order my adapter now! Question is, do I need/want it now? The email says they have limited numbers and my position on the waitlist is invited to order, but any orders placed by others who havent rec'd the email will be cancelled. (Ths I cant forward the email with the order link to others.)
  • Feb 4, 2015
    trils0n
    What email address should I send a message to ask about the adapter waiting list? I think when I got on the waiting list in 2013 it was onlineorders at teslamotors dot com. Is that still in use?
  • Feb 4, 2015
    Klaus
    Just got the wait list email.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    wk057
    Buy it, and i'll buy it from you, assuming I don't get the same wait list email soon. lol (Probably won't get an email since I didn't get on the list until Feb'14)

    PM me if interesting in buying it and shipping it to me. (Obviously I'll pay :p)

    This will make westward trips to TN easier since Chademo is available a bunch of places out that way.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    jomo25
    i've decided to buy it. for 450 i think it'll be worth it. lots of chademo around PHX. And quite a few in southern California, where I will drive occasionally...
  • Feb 4, 2015
    jomo25
    Purchased.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    xray
    same here. received email earlier today. ordered.

    probably overkill in southern California but presumably this will also be usable with the Model X

    just for reference, I was added to the CHAdeMO wait list on October 14, 2013.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    TechGuy
    If anyone wants to sell theirs, drop me a PM. We're making a trip from Pennsylvania to Denver next month and it would make Missouri (with zero Superchargers) a heck of a lot easier to handle!!
  • Feb 4, 2015
    trils0n

    Interesting. I just checked my sent mail folder and was added to the list on the exact same day (10/14/2013). No email yet. A CHAdeMO adapter would be a welcome addition, since I don't have home charing, and there is a CHAdeMO about 1.5 miles from my home.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    peterspd

    I was added to the waiting list on Oct 14th, 2003 too but did not receive the email today. So sad.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    peterspd
    I just placed the order after sent my email ordered on Oct 14th, 2013 to Tesla. If you was added to the waiting list on Oct 14, 2013 or before then you should contact Tesla.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    Cottonwood
    So what is the least expensive CHAdeMO charger that will reliably charger a Model S at 40-50kW? Time for those coffee shop CHAdeMOs...
  • Feb 4, 2015
    islandbayy
    The subsidized Nissan CHAdeMO unit. About $16k after insentives + install costs of course.

    ABB has some 25kWh stations though. The local university has em. Pointless in my opinion...



    Just confirmed my spot, I'm #85 on the list.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    jomo25
    For reference, I signed up for the adapter (and was acknowledged) on 10/11/2013.

    There is a local Nissan dealership (about 3 mi from my place) with Chademo and it is free. I use it with my Leaf on occasion. It's an ABB unit. That is where I will try it out when the adapter arrives. Its located on the side of the dealership where there's not too much foot traffic from the staff. I wonder if they will give me trouble if I try to use it.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    RiverBrick
    Unfortunately, the Nissan branded unit has proven itself unreliable. Overheating is a common issue. TMC members from Japan have also had trouble getting the adapter to work with it.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    Cottonwood
    The Nissan unit has had reports on serious overheating issues.

    An HPWC is 19.2 kW from 240V, which probably puts about 18 kW into the battery. I figure to be interesting a CHAdeMO needs to be at least 40 kW. Given that a low SoC 85 is at about 360V, I'm interested in a reliable, no overheating for 2 hours, 125 Amp, 50 kW CHAdeMO. 125Ax360V=45kW

    Tesla is fielding Superchargers nicely, but there are some interesting corners of the world (4-corners?) where some crowd funding of a CHAdeMO with an adapter chained to it would be interesting...

    Be aware: Most of the 50 kW CHAdeMO's that I have looked at want 480V, 3-phase like a Supercharger.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    wk057
    I'm interested in the Chademo adapter because it opens the door for a custom DC-DC charging solution for my off-grid solar setup.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    Benjamin Brooks
    Heh, Model S DC to Model S DC charging solution... ;)
  • Feb 4, 2015
    islandbayy
    I suppose it could be done with the CHAdeMO adapter, depending on how they programmed it. Now we have a device that can "unlock" direct DC access to the pack (using the right external hardware and software combo), this was not possible before. Could even open up Vehicle to Grid options :D (Once warranty is up anyways, as that is automatic warranty voider).
  • Feb 4, 2015
    wk057
    This was my main thinking. While I think the supercharger protocol is decipherable, this is probably better from a warranty perspective.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    drees
    Check out Andromeda Power - they have CHAdeMO stations with a very flexible input that can take anything from DC to 3-phase AC.

    I'd love to see a good engineer look at the station - I suspect that it could be significantly improved without major changes. Just simplifying and improving the air cooling system should make it a lot more reliable.
  • Feb 4, 2015
    dpeilow
    The UK is covered by CHAdeMOs that are derived from that Nissan unit. There are literally hundreds at highway rest stops. Unfortunately they are unreliable. Around 25% offline as I write and you have no guarantee that one might not fail on your charging session. Two rounds of upgrades by the operator and manufacturer have not improved the situation, in fact they stopped the latest effort because it was making things worse. There is not one single failure mode either.

    That's worrying that Japanese friends are reporting incompatibilities with the Model S too.

    If you want reliable, the stats are hugely in favour of the ABB units. In fact a Dutch network ripped out their Nissan derived ones and replaced them with ABB.
  • Feb 5, 2015
    TexasEV
    How long do you think it will be free at the Nissan dealership when something other than a Leaf tries to use it?
  • Feb 5, 2015
    widodh
    Not fully true. Those Nissan chargers (The New Motion network) were replaced by Efaco chargers. FastNed is using ABB chargers and some others in the Netherlands.
  • Feb 5, 2015
    Jaff
    Thanks for the input David...this makes me wonder about getting this adapter at all...especially if Japan, the "bastion" of CHAdeMO charge stations is having problems...

  • Feb 5, 2015
    dpeilow
    Thanks for the info. Are they proving reliable?
  • Feb 5, 2015
    pvh
    Those chargers are state of the art. All have CHAdeMO, CCS combo and AC 43kW.
  • Feb 5, 2015
    Rheazombi
    Can someone make a chart/bullet points of the different types of CHAdeMO chargers, their "reputation", specs, how to tell them apart, and where they are likely to be found?
  • Feb 5, 2015
    Cottonwood
    I just started a thread to gather impressions and reviews: CHAdeMO Make/Model Review � Using with a Tesla
  • Feb 6, 2015
    joer00
    You most likely will have the same big disappointment when arriving there ! The ABB unit I used is a LYING 25 KW unit, i.e. it is 500 volt 50 amps. So the max rate at the end of charging for the MS is about 20KW. I ended up charging 3.5 hours instead of the planned 2 !!!

    I could not believe it, they spend THOUSANDS of dollars for a charger which delivers the same as a 650 $ HPWC, what a crap !!
  • Feb 6, 2015
    dsm363
    mod note: Some posts about EU Superchargers moved here
    EU spec Supercharger

    if you can think of a better title for those posts PM me. Thanks.
  • Feb 6, 2015
    David99
    Those are awesome products! Thanks for the link.
  • Feb 6, 2015
    RiverBrick
    They bought it for cars that otherwise can't get more than 3.3kW or 6.0kW, so ~23kW is quite an improvement. Especially when you consider that due to small batteries in LEAFs there's only a 5-7 minute difference for 0-80% at 23kW instead of 46kW (tapering also is a factor.)

    They also may have a problem with "power on demand" charges if set to 50kW.
  • Mar 7, 2015
    WindyCity
    I received my email from Tesla yesterday and ordered the adapter. I also signed up with NRG eVgo to use their CHAdeMO station in San Diego. Finally, I'll have a fast-charging option.
  • Mar 7, 2015
    Blathering1
    Excellent!

    Mine arrived this past week (on wait list in 2013). Unfortunately It was fully raining and the CHAdeMO DC Fast Charger I planned to try is uncovered. It shouldn't be a problem in the rain, but....
  • Mar 8, 2015
    widodh
    Read the manual on Tesla Motors CHAdeMO Adapter Owner's Manual

    It says you shouldn't use it in heavy rain.
  • Mar 8, 2015
    Mayhemm
    Just checked my bank account; extra $150 for currency exchange!

    Wow, I didn't know the dollar was that far in the toilet!
  • Mar 8, 2015
    Mark Petersen
    hmm interesting bit of information in the manual for the CHAdeMO Adapter
    wonder if they plan to move the charging port on the Model X or III
  • Mar 8, 2015
    dirkhh
    Great catch. The current location is rather convenient for most typical "in your home garage" charging situations. But for public charging locations the Leaf style "front of the car" seems much better.
    I guess the logic is the other way around, though. Most of the public chargers were designed with only the Leaf in mind.
  • Mar 8, 2015
    gg_got_a_tesla
    My first use report here. Loving the adapter!
  • Mar 8, 2015
    andrewket
    Tesla can't move it without causing significant problems at the superchargers.
  • Mar 8, 2015
    dirkhh
    Well, that depends on where they move it to. Moving it "around the corner" to the rear of the car wouldn't make a difference at the superchargers but would make things easier on some CHAdeMO chargers with very short cables (that are designed for the Leaf assuming the charging plug to be front and center).
  • Mar 8, 2015
    TexasEV
    I can't see Tesla changing the charge port location just to make it easier to use some Chademo charging stations. If Chademo manufacturers want their stations to have more business they can install longer cables. As more superchargers are built over the next few years the slower, costly, and less reliable Chademo will mostly be used by Teslas in niche markets anyway.
  • Mar 8, 2015
    Mark Petersen
    the problem is probably more related to public charging where you often have to park nose in or parallel
    I know of several locations where it is impossible for me to charge, simply because i can't legally park in a way where the cable will reach
  • Mar 8, 2015
    andrewket
    Interesting. Maybe dual charge ports on the X? Tesla connector where it now, Chademo/CCS in the front?
  • Mar 8, 2015
    Mayhemm
    Nah, I can't see Tesla abandoning their sleek little connector (it's so Tesla) in favor of the unwieldy kludges that are the CHAdeMO/CCS plugs.
  • Mar 8, 2015
    dirkhh
    Especially I can't see them go to having TWO charge ports. That's so not the way Tesla tends to do things.
  • Mar 8, 2015
    islandbayy
    I'd love a second charge port. One on drivers side and one on passengers side. Almost every instance of public charging for me (not counting Superchargers) would have been made immensely easier if a charge port was behind the passengers side reflector. That, and C'mon people, curb side charging. Technically it's possible now, but if another vehicle drives by just a bit too close and you have some major MAJOR damage.
  • Mar 10, 2015
    Blathering1

    Right -- "severe rain, snow, electrical storm". My side of caution is any degree of watery precipitate.

    A canopy over that CHAdeMO Fast Charger is in order!
  • Mar 10, 2015
    Rheazombi
    MacGyver an umbrella + bungee cord to it somehow? lol
  • Mar 11, 2015
    Mario Kadastik
    Well the adapter naturally is downward pointed with the CHAdeMO connector from the charger connecting inside it. Was looking at the charger with one of ABB engineers and we concluded that it'd in fact be quite ok with rain as it's highly unlikely that the water would crawl upward enough to reach any of the power transfer lines. It's far more likely in the case of Leaf where the CHAdeMO cable connects downward and the accepting plug is wider so water could in theory collect and seep through, not so with Tesla's adapter. So I'd not be too worried if I start charging and walk away and then heavy rain hits. Worst case the chargers and adapter should have failsafe breakers in place to disconnect when a short is identified...
  • Mar 11, 2015
    dirkhh
    Additionally, there is no power (except 12V) when you connect. And the power is ramped up slowly, so if there's any issue the charger can shut down right away before any danger occurs to a user.
  • Mar 11, 2015
    jkirkebo
    I'd love a second port too, but for a different reason. To use the dual chargers independently of each other, with two outlets. Twice the speed where available :)
  • Mar 11, 2015
    N4HHE
    Google says the exchange rate is currently $1.00 US to $1.28 CAN. So $450 * 1.28 = $576. Plus a handling fee and you are right at $150.

    Its the Canadian dollar which is down.
  • Mar 11, 2015
    bxr140
    Is that a euro thing? Or are you talking about a desire for quad chargers?
  • Mar 13, 2015
    Mayhemm
    Sorry, being from Canada, that's what I was implying, eh? :wink:
  • Mar 13, 2015
    brianman
    I think he's saying he'd like to plug in two 14-50s or two 30A J1772 plugs to get near HPWC charge rates. (Like has been done via adapters by some EV enthusiasts on TMC.)
  • Mar 13, 2015
    bxr140
    Oh--so, using the dual chargers when an 80a hpwc (or equivalent) is not available...?
  • Mar 14, 2015
    Blathering1
    Managed to have a non-rainy day to use the CHAdeMO adapter in a 40kW DC Quick Charger. The unit ramped quickly to about 116MPH, and did not taper while the Tesla charged to 90%.

    It is interesting that the svelte $750 HPWC I use at home yields 59mph (dual chargers). The DC Quick Charger, requires a forklift to install it on a dedicated concrete slab, and uses a 200 amp 3 phase circuit... all for 2x the charging rate (and a $450 adapter!).
  • Mar 14, 2015
    patp
    Been using my adaptor yesterday and I now understand why Tesla created their own standard for DC charging. CHAdeMO will be handy at time but so cumbersome.
  • Mar 14, 2015
    jkirkebo
    Yes. Except I want to use two 230V 16A circuits. When staying somewhere overnight, often 16A is the maximum socket available. 3,7kW means no full charge overnight. If I could use two of them the car would be fully charged in less than 12 hours. Perfect.
  • Mar 14, 2015
    David99
    Apples and oranges. The HPWC is nothnig but some cables and a few simple electronics handling the safety features. The charger itself is built into your car, hooked up to the liquid cooling system of the car. The CHAdeMO charger is a complete charging system that has more than twice the power capacity of the dual chargers. It needs it's own transformer, cooling system, it's own case, UI display, payment system, ... The HPWC contains (almost) nothing because the rest is built into the car. Any DC charger needs to have everything.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét