Thứ Bảy, 31 tháng 12, 2016

Yet another reason why the Dual Chargers option is worth having... part 2

  • Sep 7, 2014
    iffatall
    Wow... I had no idea. Here, in the SF Bay Area, the service centers are running wait times of six weeks for non-emergency services. My charge port door magnet fell off, and they said they can quickly replace the door which will take an hour - even for this, the earliest they could set me up was in nine days. I had more things to get done, so, I had to (actually am) wait six weeks.
  • Sep 7, 2014
    andrewket
    Sounds like a short term fix would be to increase the size of the loaner fleet and start trucking cars needing service to adjacent service centers that have spare capacity.
  • Sep 7, 2014
    mckemie
    I. too, ordered my S with a single charger and now regret it. At the time I bought the car we had no SuperChargers in the area and I really didn't expect the SuperCharger network to be built out as it has. With some SuperChargers around, I've done some long trips, filling in the holes with RV campgrounds. When the JuiceBox came out, I realized that I needed the twin charger. A JuiceBox with twin chargers allows me to charge at more than 40 amps at a typical RV campground. I've found that around 45 amps is feasible. That 5 amps doesn't sound like much but it cuts more than 10% off of charge time. I had the twin charger installed a couple of months ago. At home, overnight charging suits me just fine but, with the JuiceBox, I CAN charge at 60+ amps.
    Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - EMotorWerks JuiceBox
  • Sep 7, 2014
    qwk
    45A at most RV parks will pop the breaker or worse. This is a sure way to get yourself and future EV's banned from RV parks. Horrible idea.
  • Sep 7, 2014
    David99
    The dual chargers would have cost 1500 + 1200 (second charger plus wall unit). That's a lot of money for something I realized I don't need. With just a 6 hour window off peak electricity rate I get 180 miles back. Even if I have to pay $1 more every other day where I need to charge more than 180 miles, it would take 15 years to break even. A small off peak window never justifies the cost for a dual charger setup.

    I have yet to find a public charger that offered more than 32 Amp. I'm not saying they don't exist, just very few here in California. So really, I didn't see any use for the second charger and as of today there wasn't a situation where it would have made a difference to me.
  • Sep 7, 2014
    mochouinard
    Lot of them exist here in canada, mostly by the Suncountryhighway, and they are starting in the US too. A jucebox that give you 15kW charging capability cost about 500$ USD. + an extra J1772 adaptor if you don't to use the one in your car.

    The future will be DC charging, but right now, I'm happy to get the dual charger when I go on trip. Sure if SuperCharger were everywhere, getting a car with no AC charger at all might become an option. You might just have battery pack at home connected to solar panel and use the direct DC to charge your car !

    I'll be happy about this day !
  • Sep 7, 2014
    Larry Chanin
    Agreed. I gather you appreciate why its in Tesla's best interest and long range planning to promote their own standard over others even if they recommend that destinations also install "universal" chargers along with the Tesla proprietary charging equipment?

    Larry

    - - - Updated - - -

    I believe that that utlimately neither CHAdeMo nor the SAE Combo will be the prevalent "standard" in the US for fast charging if Tesla is successful in building the Gigafactory and selling the Model III in the numbers forecast. That standard will be Tesla's superior, high performance design that handles both Level 2 and 3 charging with one compact connector. Due to the Japanese market Tesla was forced to announce a CHAdeMO adapter. They seem to be silent regarding committing to the SAE Combo adapter any time soon. Perhaps they think that by the time there are sufficient SAE Combo chargers deployed the Tesla connector will be the de facto standard and an adapter would be counterproductive.

    Larry
  • Sep 8, 2014
    mckemie
    Well, I wouldn't recommend using the JuiceBox on a 14-50 at more than 40 amps to a person with a poor understanding of electric power and wiring. This has small risk, IMHO, because:
    1) the Tesla gives you ac voltage at the input to the charger; the user can notice a voltage drop that indicates undersize wiring somewhere upstream; the current demand can be adjusted up or down to give acceptable voltage drop of around 5 vac.
    2) RV parks have breakers at the outlets. Those breakers can be monitored for temperature rise (by touch) which indicates impending tripping. If the breaker trips, it is easily reset.
  • Sep 8, 2014
    ToddRLockwood
    David, I agree with you as far as home charging is concerned. But the new Destination Charging network Tesla is creating will offer another option up to three times the speed of a ChargePoint station. If you don't happen to be anywhere near a Supercharger, this could be handy indeed.
  • Sep 8, 2014
    iadbound
    I went with dual chargers for quick home charging and time of use options (Ok-- I know it probably cost me more than it is worth, even with time of day charging). However, my wife was rather insistent that you just never know when you might need to charge quickly, and if those fast charging options at destinations become de rigueur, I figure it will save me some time and mostly aggravation of waiting around on a slow charger.

    More importantly, since I'm buying a Tesla, I hope they become market leader in charging technology so I'm good to go wherever I am.
  • Sep 8, 2014
    mochouinard
    This thread need to be closed... It the same thing over and over again that being said now ! No one care to look at the last 130 post.
  • Sep 9, 2014
    mknox
    No, I think we need another 130 posts to debate whether we should close it. :biggrin:
  • Sep 9, 2014
    freds
    I was at a EV race event this weekend and being able to suck down the amps to top off and get back onto the track quickly was priceless!!!
  • Sep 9, 2014
    seanahan
    There has been a lot of good discussion in this thread, although it seems to be winding down at this point. If you don't like it, then don't read it. Why shut down the thread when there's still interesting discussion being had?
  • Sep 11, 2014
    neroden
    Yeah. This is worrrisome. Tesla's existing plans for Superchargers are at least a year behind (not surprising), but even their 2015 plans are quite insufficient -- the thing which I always notice is the lack of a charger in Erie, PA, which makes it impossible to drive west from upstate NY. (There's a serious charging wasteland around Erie.) If they're planning to have "just enough", they'll have too few, guaranteed. :-(
  • Sep 11, 2014
    TexasEV
    That comment doesn't sound like anything Tesla would say. It's more likely the reporter misinterpreted something. I'd ignore the remark it unless it's said elsewhere.
  • Sep 11, 2014
    karmamule
    Even if threads are repetitive, perhaps some particular post's phraseology or spin on an argument will get through to someone and help them make a decision that otherwise they would not.

    There are plenty of threads I find tedious or unhelpful or repetitive, and I just start ignoring them. But, I'll never say a thread should end because there's a wide variety of readers who sometimes differ quite a bit from me. In general I think a "natural selection" of sorts works well on forums: if a thread is truly of no use to anyone then it'll sink out of sight as responses stop.
  • Sep 13, 2014
    tliving
    Unfortunately all these HPWC's that appear to be paid for by Tesla require you to be a patron of the business before you can charge so they are not extra on-the-go charge locations but just more destination charge points.
  • Sep 13, 2014
    TexasEV
    Exactly. That's why Tesla calls it the destination charging program. Tesla may have given away the HPWCs but the business paid for installation and pays for the electricity. It's to attract customers to their business, not to provide you with an "on-the-go" charging location. I don't see anything unfortunate about it.
  • Sep 13, 2014
    tliving
    I guess i'd rather seem them do that program with malls, shopping centers, restaurants versus places you have to stay a long time like hotels etc.
  • Sep 13, 2014
    ecarfan
    I believe that any "business", including restaurants and retail establishments, are eligible for Tesla's destination at in charging program. It is not limited to hotels/motels/resorts.

    It is up to the businesses to contact Tesla.
  • Sep 13, 2014
    seanahan
    At least in Dallas there are supposedly 7 HPWC in a parking garage at one of the nicer area shopping malls. That's the same mall as the Tesla store, so it's good synchronicity. (Potential sales tool?) Of course, doesn't make much sense for me, since I live locally.
  • Sep 13, 2014
    bollar
    There are indeed 7 HPWCs at Northpark. You may. It need to charge, but the location is ideal if you're there dining the holiday shopping season. Most, if not all Tesla stores/galleries have charging.
  • Sep 13, 2014
    TexasEV
    Imagine that, they're at the same mall. And they were installed when the store opened. What a coincidence! :smile:

    They're primarily for the test drive cars, also for when the store manager's friends come up from Austin for a visit. All Tesla stores have a place to charge the cars.
  • Sep 13, 2014
    offset
    New reason: There has been a price drop to $750, and there is a local rebate for $750...

    The site still says 1200, but the service center charged me $750
  • Sep 13, 2014
    Cosmacelf
    For what? The HPWC, or the dual chargers?
  • Sep 14, 2014
    seanahan
    I did my test drive before the mall store went in (at the Service Center), but I was under the impression they didn't do test drives out of that store. If they do, then that makes complete sense as to why they'd have charging there.

    I kind of assumed it was marketing, e.g. "There are charging stations all over the place. There are ones in this mall right here!"
  • Sep 14, 2014
    bollar
    The manufacturer-plated cars are parked there -- usually 2 or 3 at any given time. The staff do like to remind owners that they're welcome to use the chargers.
  • Sep 14, 2014
    offset
    The HPWC. They said the prices of specific accessories have gone down.
  • Sep 14, 2014
    brianman
    Still shows $1200 for me:
    Shop Tesla Gear Wall Connector
  • Sep 14, 2014
    aviators99
    When I was choosing options in June '12, I was astounded that every single Tesla employee with whom I spoke (local and HQ) tried to discourage me from getting the dual chargers. It certainly seemed like a company-wide policy. There was also much discussion on this message board, and I even convinced a few people to order it. The main reasons I got one were:

    1) Resale value
    2) For every time I needed to charge quickly (I figured once or twice per year), I would be cursing myself for not getting them
    3) Tesla would be so revolutionary and it would create such a demand for PEVs that higher current public charging stations would become commonplace
    4) It would allow me to carry my UMC in the car and not have to take it out when I get home

    In the meantime, Sun Country has been quietly installing 80A J1772 charging stations in the US now. They seem to have made a deal with the Best Western hotel chain.
    EV Trip Planner - Sun Country Highway

    So much of this argument could become moot if their network continues to grow.
  • Sep 15, 2014
    mknox
    I think it is inevitable that EVs of all stripes are going to come with larger batteries over time which will necessitate more powerful on-board chargers to keep charging times reasonable. As such, I also believe public stations will migrate to higher power. That, in fact, is the reason I installed 2-100 amp J1772 stations at my offices. Right now, the Model S with twin chargers is the only car that can take advantage of the full 80 amps (Roadster, I think, can take 70), but over time that may change. I'm surprised Tesla would be discouraging the option.
  • Sep 15, 2014
    Gizmotoy
    When I bought the only way to even get the dual chargers was to order the HPWC as well. There were some scattered reports of being allowed to turn down the HPWC, but I was told that wasn't permitted. So single charger for me.

    Truthfully, I think they saved me the cost. Even here in CA, I've never even stopped at a charger that could push more than 40A. And if I'm hotel charging, chances are I don't really care about 40A vs 80A. Plus a lot of hotels aren't installing at 80A anyway (like our TMC Connect hotel).

    It's highly usage-dependent, I think. Certainly it will become more useful as time goes on, and more larger battery BEVs start to hit the roads.
  • Sep 15, 2014
    mknox
    Fair enough. There are definitely geographic differences. In my neck of the woods, at least 75% of the public chargers I use are 90 or 100 amp. In fact, I'll go past ChargePoints and other lower powered units just to get to a 90 or 100.
  • Sep 15, 2014
    Gizmotoy
    Canada is a whole other ballgame. You guys have tons of high amp J1772 up there. We don't have anything near that large a build-out in the US, yet. I'd definitely have gotten dual chargers if I were in Canada.
  • Sep 15, 2014
    Cottonwood
    There are a lot more HAL2 charing points out there than you think. A lot are Tesla HPWC's, and Sun Country Highway is making inroads into the U.S.

    Here is a screenshot from Plugshare with the display limited to "Tesla HPWC (Model S)" in the "more options" area. Go Tesla!
    plugshare.jpg

    And here is a screenshot from Sun Country Highway of their mostly 70 and 80 Amp J1772 EVSE's. What's with Bermuda, The Bahamas, Jamaica, and Cuba?
    Sun Country.jpg
  • Sep 15, 2014
    Canuck
    I do. To be able to check in, charge while getting unpacked etc. and while the kids take a quick swim in the pool, and we have a hot tub, then go out on the town with sufficient range is a really big advantage, before coming back to the hotel to sleep. It's rare that I check in at night, go to sleep, and leave the next morning. We like to get our money's worth out of the hotel stay -- and enjoy the facilities. With more HPWC's being installed at hotels, and a lot of 70 amps EVSE's up here in Canada, dual chargers were a 'must have' for me.
  • Sep 15, 2014
    TsRocket

    agree totally. I retrofitted the dual chargers within the first few months of delivery, after filling at 40 amps on a 70 amp roadster charger. No question. The tesla folks said "no" to me also. Sun Country is doing a bang up job in eastern Washington and Canada.
  • Sep 15, 2014
    Benjamin Brooks
    All the Sun Country Highway chargers at hotels will be restricted to hotel guests only, right? It's not abundantly clear from their website.
  • Sep 15, 2014
    TES-E
    I ordered 2.5 months ago, and when I mentioned that I was going to get dual chargers, the Tesla employee I was talking to had one word to say.

    Good.
  • Sep 16, 2014
    aviators99
    Seems to vary. I will be in Orlando this week, but probably won't have time to check out the Best Western 80A charger. But if by some miracle I do, I will see if they will let me use it (or *would* let me use it, depending on where my SOC is).
  • Sep 16, 2014
    mknox
    It seems to vary by location. The SCH map will tell you of the locations that are restricted to guests (as long as the station owner provides the correct info).
  • Oct 13, 2015
    CHGolferJim
    What's the latest thinking on the value of dual chargers......especially for someone in the Southeast who plans a good bit of long distance driving? Will be ordering a 70D in the next 10 days, and my neighbor who just got a 90D is strongly suggesting dual chargers. I had been thinking Supercharger coverage will be more than sufficient. Will I get 58mph from my home NEMA 14-50?

    Sorry for all the basic questions, haven't paid much attention to the subject recently.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    ItsNotAboutTheMoney
    The key question is whether you'd need to have the fast turnaround at home or HPWCs on the road.

    14-50 limit is 40A. 240V x 40A = 9.6kW.
    If 1/3 kWh/mi (where kWh is from the wall, not the car) then that's 28.8 miles.
    Power would vary with your home voltage.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    bancroftc
    My logic is as follows, but I caveat that I am only getting my Tesla for the first time tomorrow.

    -Don't need HPWC at home given my daily driving needs. UMC is fine on 240v so no need for dual chargers there.
    -I have sufficient supercharger access for road trips in Texas - no need for dual chargers there.
    -Have CHAdeMO adapter on order and plan to use eVgo network in Dallas/Houston as my primary road trip locations - no need for dual chargers there.

    You will not get 58mph from your NEMA 14-50. Only a HPWC at 80amps WITH dual chargers.

    The only justification to get dual chargers for me is destination charging at full amperage HPWC's, which are fewer in my travel areas than CHAdeMO chargers.

    All that said, I may end up getting dual chargers in the future just to have the option!
  • Oct 13, 2015
    dsm363
    I agree with dual chargers if you know of locations where it would be helpful. It's rarely needed at home so can avoid buying the HPWC there.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    djp
    The Model X comes with the equivalent of dual chargers as standard (a single 72A charger). There's a good chance the Model S will adopt this as standard as well. I expect you'll see more high amp destination chargers pop up in the future as more capable cars hit the roads. In Canada we already have an extensive network of 70A/80A chargers.

    Dual chargers can mean the difference between topping up over a 1.5 hour lunch or waiting for three hours over an afternoon. They'll also give you a faster turn around if you arrive at a destination close to empty and want to head out for a drive that evening.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    TexasEV
    I agree, at this time in this part of the country there is little benefit to dual chargers. Other than the destination HPWCs, there are only two high-amp level 2 charging stations in Texas that I am aware of-- Fredericksburg and Iraan. You can always have it installed if your travel plans include somewhere that you will need it.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    tga
    Since there's no savings ordering a second charger and/or HPWC when you order the car vs at some point in the future, unless you know you need dual chargers, I'd wait until you see how you use the car.

    There's no point wasting money on a second charger that you never need.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    Rockster
    We're that rare family that benefits from dual chargers at home. A number of times a year we'll use the Tesla locally to run errands (or see clients) most of the day and then come home for a quick turnaround to leave town after dinner. Having the dual chargers and an 80 amp HPWC makes that quick turnaround very convenient. And this past weekend, a short notice side trip into the Texas hill country required a fast charge after we reached our family's house in Austin. Finding a nearby Tesla owner with an 80 amp HPWC was a lifesaver.

    I figured it wouldn't take too many such events before the slight cost savings of a single charger wouldn't be worth it. In the past two years there have probably been 10 situations where I was able to take advantage of dual chargers. The additional cost has been worth the convenience.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    RDoc
    I'm wondering if the CHAdeMO adapter for DC charging wouldn't be more useful in many areas. There seem to be quite a few combined CHAdeMO / SAE Combo DC chargers appearing.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    muleferg


    Agree! In the 18 mo I have driven the S, no need for dual chargers.


    IMG_3213.JPG
  • Oct 13, 2015
    David99
    NEMA 14-50 is 40 Amp (single charger) max.
    Fact is, you are perfectly fine with a single charger at home. Even a totally dead battery can be charged to 100% in 7-8 hours over night. I drive 120 miles average per day and never needed more than a single charger at home. Dual chargers only help when you have a HPWC or one of the super super rare public stations that offer more than 40 Amp. I have 60k miles on my Model S and drove all over the country and never found one of those. There are tons of CHADeMO chargers out there, so getting the adapter is very helpful.

    The only times dual chargers would help would be when your battery is low and you need to charge quick for some reason. It cuts down charge time by half, but it's still pretty slow compared to CHADeMO or Superchargers. Let's say you need 100 miles. It would still take almost 2 hours to charge that with dual chargers. So it's not like a quick boost.

    As I said, I have 60k miles on my Model S and did many road trips. Never once would dual chargers have been of any advantage to me. I drive an average of 120 miles a day, sometimes more. Easily handled without charging at all. Next morning, it's full again, even if I come home late and have to leave early again. For road trips, you really need to find something faster than 80 Amp. It' still way too slow. You would have to wait 3-4 hours. When on trips you really want to use Superchargers and if there are none, CHADeMO is the only other bearable alternative.

    Bottom line: dual chargers don't really work for road trips and don't give you an advantage at home.

    - - - Updated - - -


    +1

    I have a few CHADeMO stations nearby. If I ever need to recharge quick, I drive there and charge at 45 kW. Overall I still spend less time driving to the CHADeMO station, charge there over having a HPWC and dual chargers at home. If I would come home empty and then decide to take a spontaneous road trip, a dual charger would not make a dent.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    mknox
    I put 2-80 amp J1772 stations in serving 4 parking spots at my office. Part of the logic was if there are eventually several employees needing to charge throughout the day, cars can get in and out faster allowing more cars to charge. Also, visitors can get a more substantial charge in shorter periods of time.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    jerry33
    Dual chargers cut your charge time in half compared to RV park charging, so they are fine for road trips. Also most destination chargers are 80 amp, and Sun Country chargers are 70 amp. A lot of this depends on where you travel.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    linkster
    Terrific planning !
  • Oct 13, 2015
    TexasEV
    Next time look at charging at one of the 7 eVGo CHAdeMO charging stations in Austin-- it would be even faster.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    mknox
    In my experience, most Tesla destination chargers seem to be wired up for 40 amps or less, although I have seen a few set for higher current. The Sun Country (i.e. Clipper Creek) units are rated at 80 amps now. I installed two of these over a year ago. They call it a "100 amp" charger because they name them after the size of circuit it's connected to, not the power they deliver (somewhat confusingly).
  • Oct 13, 2015
    Panoz
    If I were a destination charging location, I'd put in two 50-amp chargers rather than one 100-amp. More customers can be serviced and most locations are for overnight charging anyway.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    Cyclone
    This. Your car will be delivered with a single charger. Use it for a month and then re-evaluate.
  • Oct 13, 2015
    nh-srt8
    From one fellow grumpy Yorkshire man to another, well I'll go to foot of our stairs. :wink:
  • Oct 13, 2015
    Rockster
    I used the term Austin loosely. The family we visited are in Georgetown and the side trip was due west from there. Going to Austin proper would have been a huge detour. The 80 amp HPWC was 1/2 mile from the family's house, so we could drop the S there, visit with family for a bit, and continue our journey.
  • Oct 14, 2015
    e-FTW
    Only 29mph? I don't see the problem for an overnight.
  • Oct 17, 2015
    lucy
    In the supercharger desert of the I-35 corridor, I am opting to add the dual charger at delivery. I anticipate having to use destination charging at/near blues fests in the Quad Cities, Helena,Arkansas, etc. While I won't need the dual charging at home, there is currently only 1 SC in Iowa, 3 in Missouri , 0 in Arkansas , 2 in Louisiana. It's hard to read about 2 SC in the same California town, 5 miles from each other (Truckee?) I don't know if the investment in the 2nd charger is wise or not, but I'm a long way from the nearest service center, so it's a major time investment as well as money to go back and add it later. �_(?)_/�
  • Oct 19, 2015
    e-FTW
    All good points Lucy.
    My point was that if one uses destination charging at a hotel that has an HPWC, I doubt 29 mph would cramp anyone's style. If you are back at the hotel for 8 hours a night, you get 232 miles of range added with a single charger.
    Now, if you need to charge while on the road, during the day, then dual chargers are definitely a good add.
  • Oct 19, 2015
    lucy
    I'm just worried that it won't be a HPWC, more like a charger at a camp ground while I keep alert for marauding possums. :wink:
  • Oct 19, 2015
    e-FTW
    Do those top the 40 amp mark? I really do not know.
    Also, stay safe out there!
  • Oct 20, 2015
    chriSharek
    ^ Great point.

    - - - Updated - - -

    If this was one of the final decisions, I think I'd rather take the $2000+labor and put it towards Autopilot, SAS, Premium Sound, or maybe even upgraded rims. The superchargers are all over and getting stronger and stronger coverage each day.
  • Oct 20, 2015
    AB4EJ
    When I look at the ordering web page for MS, I don't see the option to add dual onboard chargers any more. Is it behind something else? I can't imagine that Tesla would discontinue it as an orderable option...
  • Oct 20, 2015
    TexasEV
    It's only available at the service center. You can't order it with the car. This is one reason why even fewer cars have dual chargers now, many buyers don't even know about the possibility as it's no longer on the options page. It's another example of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing at Tesla-- the destination charging program is pushing out HPWCs that can charge at 80A, but Model S buyers are being actively discouraged from buying dual chargers by not making it available as an option on the order screen.
  • Oct 20, 2015
    GSP
    Does anyone know if Tesla will make the 72 Amp charger from the X standard equipment in the S?

    How about a service center installed second 72 Amp charger for 144 Amps total and 104 mph charge rate? :)

    GSP
  • Oct 20, 2015
    TexasEV

    1. No one knows.
    2. Where would that power come from? Would anyone install a 160A circuit to charge a Tesla?
  • Oct 20, 2015
    andrewket
    I have dual chargers in my S because if I'm low I can't charge overnight in the 4-hour window my utility provides ultra low pricing. I normally charge at 60A, and 80A is my SOC is below 60 rated or so. I've also had a few occasions where I've had to charge during the day for a fast turn around.
  • Oct 20, 2015
    e-FTW
    You bring up a good point on a utility's lower cost charging window, when also using a HPWC.
    Note: NEMA 14-50 does not provide enough power to leverage the second charger.
  • Oct 20, 2015
    David99
    You have to add in the cost for the HPWC and the dual charger upgrade. In many cases the extra cost for a 100 Amp install over a simple 4-50. Even driving 120 miles every day you can fit the vast majority of your charging into the 4 hour off-peak window on a single charger. Only a small part would happen at higher rates. So it would take many many years to just break even. There is no cost advantage of a dual charger.
  • Oct 20, 2015
    mknox
    There is definitely a convenience advantage, though. I generally don't get down to the level of calculating how much my time is worth, but as a "for instance" my car is currently charging at 80 amps right now (at work) and will be ready to go in about 2 hours. If I only had a single charger, that would be 4 hours which is about an hour beyond when I need to leave for an appointment. End of the world? No, but certainly a "nice to have" feature.
  • Oct 20, 2015
    roblab
    It's an economics thing called "perceived value". It's why people pay extra for Cross Pens when you can get a Bic for 29 cents. My wife felt better knowing we had another inverter (it's not a dual charger) for the one time a year we might be out on the desert needing a charge that could take 6 hours instead of 3. For her, and therefore for me, it's worth it.
  • Nov 3, 2015
    electracity
    It's ridiculous that there are no superchargers in Iowa. There should be one in Des Moines, and one in the quad cities.
  • Nov 3, 2015
    lucy
    There is a supercharger location in Council Bluffs, near the intersection of I-29 & I-80, but that's it. It's no wonder Teslas are as rare as hen's teeth here, & the factory farms clip the chickens' beaks so that very very rare!
  • Nov 3, 2015
    Kandiru
    Dunno about your neck of the woods, but my main breaker is rated 200A, imagine two AC units on and the Clipper.
  • Nov 3, 2015
    David99
    I totally agree, there are many things I'm also willing to pay extra for. But that's a whole different kind of 'value'. When someone tries to argue that a dual charger is saving you money on electricity because of a small off-peak window, then that's just not true. That's what I was responding to. Even when driving more than 100 miles every day (4 times more than the average person) it would take many years to just break even. That argument is debunked.

    But let's take the 'convenience value' a step further. Why is 20 kW charging the way to go? It still takes more than 4 hours to charge an empty battery. If I want to take a 100 mile trip I still have to way almost 2 hours to charge. How about a CHADeMO at home? Yeah it's $25k but you get 45 kW charging. That's more than twice as fast! Why not pay that for the convenience? Why not be the hero in your community and make it public at the same time! If you have the money, why not! The point here is, 'convenience value' is 100% relative. For some the extra cost to charge at 80 Amp over 40 is just not worth it, for others it's a no brainer. There is no right or wrong here, it's what each person perceives as 'value' or not worth it.

    I think it's great that Tesla has it as an option and some people want it. But when people try to come up with scenarios why 10 kW doesn't cut it while 20 does, that's just as arbitrary as a scenario I can come up with where 20 kW just doesn't cut it and 45 is the way to go. Fact is even at 200 miles of driving every day, a 10 kW charger is more than enough. Unless you have insomnia :)
  • Nov 3, 2015
    e-FTW
    Lots of good points. If you are outside of supercharger coverage, will you even have access to an 80 amp charging station or outlet while charging during the day?
    But then again, that one time you do tick all of those boxes, the value goes way up.
    I get why people get it. You are right: there is no right or wrong.
    Just make sure you identify opportunities where you would leverage that second charger before plunking down 2k$.

    I also agree it is awesome that it is possible to add it to the car, post-sale no-less! Find me another EV out there with that flexibility.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét