Thứ Bảy, 31 tháng 12, 2016

Special Event with Elon in NYC on Nov 12? part 1

  • Nov 5, 2012
    dflye
    Hmm, what is this all about? :confused:

    NYCEvent20121112.png
  • Nov 5, 2012
    Jgdixon
    Ya I got the same email?
    Speculation, I saw some discussion about superchargers on the East coast?
  • Nov 5, 2012
    youlikeadajuice
    Hmmm, I wonder how one could obtain an invite to this? :)
  • Nov 5, 2012
    digitaltim
    NYC Event on 11/12

    Guess where I will be next Monday? Just got the invite to Elon's event in NYC on Monday.

    Speculation on the topic? Who is going?
  • Nov 5, 2012
    Doug_G
    I just got it, too. Very unexpected! :confused:
  • Nov 5, 2012
    mlascano
    Join Elon Musk for an Exclusive Event

    Just got this invitation via email. Did this go to all reservation holders? Just Sigs?
    Any guesses on what it is about? Too bad I won't be able to make it :(


    New Picture.png
  • Nov 5, 2012
    WSE51
    Maybe they will announce the completion of at least one coast-to-coast supercharger route and even have some cars which have made the trip. I was at the California supercharger event and it featured four cars that traveled from Northern California that very day.
  • Nov 5, 2012
    dsm363
    Yeah. I'd love to go but a Monday makes it tougher. Sounds like a secret big announcement. A Tesla party is always a good time.
  • Nov 5, 2012
    PopSmith
    The first Supercharger on the East Coast seems like the logical announcement to me, especially since the event is not even at a Tesla Store.
  • Nov 5, 2012
    Raffy.Roma
    Let's hope that there will be good news (higher range, AWD) :)
  • Nov 5, 2012
    Todd Burch
    The investor letter mentions that a Supercharger route from Boston to D.C. will be active "next month"....I bet that's what this is about.
  • Nov 5, 2012
    SteveG3
    First east coast Superchargers sounds like a good guess to me. I was thinking celebrating 1000th delivery, but timing of Superchargers on east coast is more in their control. whatever it is, I don't doubt party in NY is good for drawing some free positive publicity. things are really looking up the past week or so :smile:
  • Nov 5, 2012
    cinergi
    I'd guess SC announcement, yeah -- though the location of the event itself isn't where one should go.
    I might be able to make it ... 400 miles round-trip, just coming back from vacation this week (would be adding Monday to the vacation unexpectedly), and might be flying back from Cali so who knows :smile:
  • Nov 5, 2012
    v12 to 12v
    Maybe Signature appreciation night?
  • Nov 5, 2012
    efusco
    I'm in The City and may still be here on Monday, not sure I can get away, but I wonder. I'm with a FEMA team to provide medical support.


    Evan, Via Tapatalk
  • Nov 5, 2012
    Larry Chanin
    I received the invitation this evening.

    So far has it only been sent to Signature reservation holders?

    I don't recall the first Supercharger event being this vague.

    Larry
  • Nov 5, 2012
    elecblue

    Evan - thanks for fighting the good fight for us. I'm sure your service is greatly appreciated!
  • Nov 5, 2012
    ADN_ModelS
    Crazy speculation: what if this event is to launch the mobile app?
  • Nov 5, 2012
    v12 to 12v
    Thank you for your service!
  • Nov 5, 2012
    cinergi
    I assume that area of NYC is functioning?
  • Nov 5, 2012
    Doug_G
    Yeah, that doesn't fit. Why would you do that in downtown NYC?

    Rolling out a new model?
  • Nov 5, 2012
    DaveVa
    Just an FYI Motor Trend's Car of the Year is announced Nov 12th.
  • Nov 5, 2012
    MitchMitch
    Thinking REALLY big, maybe a contract to replace all recently ruined cabs with Teslas!
  • Nov 5, 2012
    dflye
    Now that is an interesting theory that lines up well with the completely vague info in the invite! :smile:
  • Nov 5, 2012
    mitch672
    The venue looks pretty fancy, and has an outdoor billboard sign that can be used to do a presentation, perhaps a preview of a magazine cover? :)


    Skylight West | About
  • Nov 6, 2012
    ancreserve
    It will be a trifecta announcement:

    All Model S Sigs produced
    Location of Boston to D.C. Superchargers
    Motor Trend car of the year

    Tesla is rollin:biggrin:
  • Nov 6, 2012
    Doug_G
    Usually invitees can bring a guest. Find a Signature holder who isn't bringing his/her spouse...
  • Nov 6, 2012
    W.Petefish
    I couldn't attend even though I desperately want to. Someone take photos/videos please?
  • Nov 6, 2012
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Be careful not to OD on the Kool-aid! Tesla parties can be real fun :)

    Yeah, the MT award seems like a sure bet. The east coast SC reveal less so.
  • Nov 6, 2012
    aznt1217
    1000th signature?
  • Nov 6, 2012
    drinkerofkoolaid
    Hopefully I can go :) Any chance you are err offering me an invite :)

    From what I've heard about Elon and Tesla parties, it's sure to be an awesome event =)

    Model S receiving the Motor Trend car of the year award, alongside an announcement of a supercharger (Already built?) on the east coast, coupled with a live performance from (Insert Awesome Band Here), and all the Kool-Aid they can bring to the party would definitely make for a fun evening :)

    Furthermore, is it possible they are further along with the Gen 3 then they have put on? (Something about another surprise that they built in secret?)
  • Nov 6, 2012
    Norbert
    My guess would be that "milestone" goes better with 1000th signature, than with a possible award. Although "first" east-coast SuperChargers might also be considered a "milestone".
  • Nov 6, 2012
    doug
    If it's really that big of a deal, Tesla will stream the announcement live like they did other events. Photos and vids from members are certainly appreciated, though.
  • Nov 6, 2012
    Beavis
    Put my money on MotorTrend before the 1,000th Sig. They still haven't done mine yet.
  • Nov 6, 2012
    brianman
    Probably a geographic subset of Sig. (I didn't get one.)
  • Nov 7, 2012
    dsm363
    They need to start putting these events on a Friday or Saturday evening in order to try and get more people to attend as well.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    AnOutsider
    Maybe they don't need more. Spots in NY are rarely as grand as the hangar used for the Model X reveal
  • Nov 7, 2012
    W.Petefish
    Especially true for me. (maybe also with about a month's notice)
  • Nov 7, 2012
    SoCalGuy
    hmm, wonder how one can get an invite - my apt is literally a couple of blocks away...
  • Nov 7, 2012
    ModelS1079
    Wow... This is true:
    "Check back to MotorTrend.com on November 12 to discover what will become the 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year"!
    (From the article: 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year Contender: Acura ILX - WOT on Motor Trend)

    Folks, that makes it a no brainer (or really bad planning for the event date!). HUGE award. This is good.
    AND, as per post #26, I think an update noting the 1000th sig made (not delivered) is possible;
    Much more important is Todd's note above, that the investor letter states the SC Network from Boston to DC to be completed THIS YEAR. If true, that is...just amazing. A co-announcement seems quite likely. Tesla, taking the East Coast by storm.

    And that's the one unfortunate part - the contrast between a glitzy Tesla event and the realities of life there right now. NYC is still reeling from Sandy, with a Northeaster heading through today. They've had power in this neighborhood for three days. I won't dwell on this, but two final thoughts:
    1. Awesome for Tesla and The East Coast.
    2. If you have an extra invite/guest invite out there, PM me, please. This sounds like an event not-to-be missed. Thanks.
    3. May our hearts and minds be with the people surrounding this venue who have lost so much.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Beavis
    Yes, as of this morning, Model S is officially a candidate for MT's Car of the Year. Great news and leads me to conclude that the NY event is to announce the winner.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    AnOutsider
    IS the Karma in NY?
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Norbert
    If they published just today that the Model S is a contender, doesn't that make it unlikely that they already made their choice a few days ago?
  • Nov 7, 2012
    vfx
    Theycandoanythingtheywant... :)
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Citizen-T
    I think it is very likely that they have already made their choice. They are just dragging out the page views as long as they can by making news of it every day.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    mlascano
    The choice is likely made (and I agree with all above who think this all smells like Model S taking the award with an announcement/bash on 11/12), they are just rolling out their "contenders" one at a time on their website to keep us all coming back everyday for more - seems to be working :)
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Norbert
    Alright. ;)
  • Nov 7, 2012
    ElSupreme
    Why have it in NYC though? MT is from LA, and Tesla is Bay Area.

    I am not saying that this doesn't feel like a MT:CotY announcement, but I fail how to see NYC fitting into the picture.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Get some East Coast coverage?! Many had complained in the past, and rightly so, that Tesla's events have been Cali-centric.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    SoCalGuy
    Nope - Karma stays at my house in sunny LA... NYC drivers are crazy and car not really practical in the city.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Tommy
    And the added benefit of the time zone differential between the two coasts which favor the East coast for a news cycle.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    stevezzzz
    Yeah: and what are the two largest media markets in the USA? Note that the Tesla event starts at 5:30pm EST, and MT's COTY choice goes live on the website at 6:30pm EST.

    Sure looks like a done deal...but I'd be willing to bet MT COTY isn't the only 'milestone' Tesla announces at the event.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Discoducky
    Do you have a pointer to that page? Not liking MT's site right now...
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Arnold Panz
    News capital of the world. Better for MT and Tesla. They're trying to get others to report on it, not have a self-reflective event.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    pete8314
    Is MT COTY that much more worthy that, for example, Autocar? i.e. enough to justify an event for Mt, but nothing aside from a PR for the Autocar COTY? It might be, I'm relatively new to US car mags. In the UK I guess the biggest deal would be Top Gear, followed by What Car, but not sure on the hierarchy over here.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    JakeP
    Motor Trend and Car & Driver are likely the two most popular and/or well-respected auto mags in the US. So definitely a bigger deal, in my opinion.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Citizen-T
    The only problem I see with this theory is that it would require MT to inform Tesla that they had won well ahead of making any official announcement. Is that standard practice for this award? Seems like if you were MT you'd very carefully guard that envelope until you've milked it for every "who will it be" article you can.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    vfx
    As a professional courtesy telling the car maker of the pending award allows them to create perfectly timed ad campaigns on announcements. Tesla is such a small company that a gathering like this attracts more attention than a behemoth manufacturer having a party.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Citizen-T
    Sounds reasonable.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    gg_got_a_tesla
  • Nov 7, 2012
    dpeilow
    What talk shows go out from New York?

    In the UK the car mag order of respect is surely: Autocar, Auto Express, Evo, What Car, Top Gear, Max Power...
  • Nov 7, 2012
    pete8314
    You might be right, it's been a few years now. Evo and Max Power though? not sure about those, maybe I'm too old :-/
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Arnold Panz
    All the morning shows (Today, Good Morning America, CBS This Morning), at least half the daytime shows (Kelly and Michael et al), and Letterman and Fallon at night.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    ElSupreme
    Don't forget Colbert and Stewart/Daily Show!
  • Nov 7, 2012
    mitch672
    Letterman has had Elon on before, it wouldn't surprise me to see him on again (probably Tuesday, the late show tapes at around the same time as the event), with the MT Coty trophy and a production Model S on the stage, Dave is a Tesla fan, he owns a Roadster.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Tommy
    To add another horse to the race�. Announcement of the first international delivery (Oh Canada), which would certainly qualify as a milestone for Tesla.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    AnOutsider
    But why throw an event for that? In NY of all places
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Tommy
    It's a lot closer delivering the S from NY to Canada than from Fremont.....and I thought we needed another horse, though a long shot, in the race. The COTY, seems to be the favorite to win.:wink:
  • Nov 7, 2012
    bonnie
    My money is on COTY - so exciting. Hard to believe that a little startup I heard about not that many years ago now has a giant factory, a car winning national awards, even became a presidential debate topic. COTY is just icing on the cake, if it happens.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    vfx

    Someone who is going needs to get a quote from Elon regarding the debates and the election results.
  • Nov 7, 2012
    Norbert
    "icing on the cake"... yes
    "an important milestone for Tesla Motors"... I need to improve my english...
  • Nov 7, 2012
    dpeilow
    Evo - decent read, does proper testing. Max power - for boy racers, hence at the end of the list.
  • Nov 8, 2012
    tdelta1000
    Commercial!!!!
  • Nov 8, 2012
    GSP
    My thoughts exactly. This continues to amaze and delight me.

    Didn't the Model S already get Automobiles's COTY award? MT's COTY would be a much bigger deal however. MT may have added the Model S at the last minute. [Cynicism/] Usually their award goes to the biggest ad purchaser for their magazine. [/Cynicism]

    After Automobile's announcement, MT may have been worried about how stupid their winner would look in hindsight, compared to Automobile's pick of a revolutionary product. Hence a last minute change to add Model S to the contenders, and anoint it the winner, despite Tesla's ad budget of $0.

    GSP
  • Nov 8, 2012
    adric22
    Yet - by that same standard it makes sense. If Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, GM and all of the big boys are spending ad money, Motor Trend could afford to pick a neutral party who doesn't spend any ad money at all. That way they aren't playing favorites between the companies who are spending ad money.
  • Nov 8, 2012
    PhatCat
    I just got an invite for the event, so it is no longer just Signature owners.
  • Nov 8, 2012
    brianman
    Where are people getting this "last minute addition" idea from? As I noted in the Awards thread, it was pretty clear early on that they were doing an alphabetic unveil of the contenders. T(esla) happens to be late in the alphabet.

    I don't see any evidence to support a "late addition" theory. Heck, they previously had glowing commentary on the Model S in prior reviews. It's not like they weren't aware of this vehicle.

    I have plenty of nits with Motor Trend, but I don't see a reason to cry foul here.
  • Nov 8, 2012
    Robert.Boston
    Given the fact that Elon told investors that the East Coast supercharger network would be online by the end of the year, it seems reasonable that the New York City location is to open that network. Maybe the MT award, too, but maybe not.

    In any case, Tesla is free to send me an invite!
  • Nov 8, 2012
    Grendal
    PhatCat lives in New York. Sigs get invites and any reservation holders that live in New York?

    Motor Trend Car of the Year - definitely

    Supercharger - hopefully
  • Nov 8, 2012
    CapitalistOppressor
    MT has been considering the Model S from the beginning. And signaling that Model S would win as well I might add. They've already published a story where they call the Model S the most important car in a century. Car of the Year is small potatoes on that time scale.
  • Nov 8, 2012
    hcsharp
    Don't feel bad Robert, I didn't get an invite either. I'm not a sig owner, but R294 is a pretty low reservation number. If I get invited I'll offer to bring you as my guest.
  • Nov 8, 2012
    aaron.s
    I live in NY (Westchester) as well and also got the invite this morning. Reservation P#9,094....

    I've RSVP'ed but haven't gotten a response yet.

    I *definitely* plan on going!

    Aaron
  • Nov 8, 2012
    teslasguy
    I live near Philly and got my invite this evening. P1117.


    P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Nov 9, 2012
    Brian H
    There were 23 cars on the MT COTY list, btw. So statistically, MS has <5% chance! :scared::biggrin:
  • Nov 9, 2012
    Brian H
    PS;
    Another possible milestone: TM goes "cash-flow positive", hence will from now forward get continuously cash-richer!!
  • Nov 9, 2012
    PhatCat
    Got my confirm early this morning
  • Nov 9, 2012
    GSP
    Thanks for the info. I may have to change my old-school attitude about MT. :wink:

    GSP
  • Nov 9, 2012
    vfx
    So which magazine had excluded the Model S because there were not enough of them for their reviewers?

    Not MT?
  • Nov 9, 2012
    ahimberg
    SAE + CHAdeMO adapters, first car to do it :)
  • Nov 9, 2012
    Rob Fairman
    They may not necessarily know that they have COTY and be planning some other announcement ( super chargers, cash flow positive ), but hoping that they will use the party to celebrate COTY when its announced.

    Incidentally, I understand that there are a bunch of unused fireworks in Boston they might be able to get cheap. :biggrin:
  • Nov 9, 2012
    gg_got_a_tesla
  • Nov 9, 2012
    mlascano
    I believe it was not a magazine but the North American Car and Truck/Utility of the Year award. They had the Model S on their initial long list but excluded it when they trimmed their list down. From Autoblog: 2013 North American Car and Truck/Utility of the Year short list released
  • Nov 9, 2012
    artsci
    I live in the Baltimore, Maryland area and received my invitation 11/9 at around 1PM. I'll jump the Amtrak Acela high-speed train to New York Monday afternoon in time to make the 5:30 PM event start.
  • Nov 9, 2012
    vfx
  • Nov 10, 2012
    artsci
    I received a confirmation of my RSVP yesterday and also a confirmation that I'm ok to bring a guest. See some of you there.
  • Nov 10, 2012
    Doug_G
    I'd really love to come but I can't manage it, despite the fact that a friend offered to car pool me down. :frown: At least he'll be able to report back...

    I may however be able, if all goes well, to make the Toronto store opening later in the week... I'm sure it won't be as big a shindig but it will still be fun.
  • Nov 10, 2012
    teslasguy
    @Artsci I'm hopping the Acela
    In Wilmington, Monday morning. When I get to NY I'm then taking the Metro up to the White Plains store so I can see the Blue with Tan interior car they have. Mine is also blue with tan and it will be the first I've seen the blue in person. I'm P1117 and hope to see mine next month. I'm booked on the 8:20pm Acela back south.


    P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Nov 10, 2012
    ModelS1079
    ..And then Models1079 (38 reservations, in August of 2009, before TeslaGuy) arrives in White Plains, and is serving as Limo for TeslaGuy for personal delivery to NYC, West Side. Semper Fidelis - that's the Tesla modus operandi, right?
  • Nov 11, 2012
    artsci
    As I also have reserved the blue with tan interior I'd love to go with you to the White Plains store, but I can't leave until later in the day, with just enough time to get to NYC for the event.

    I've seen the blue with tan in the Palo Alto store. You're going to love it.
  • Nov 11, 2012
    aaron.s
    Guys -

    Blue, Tan, Obeche Matte is also my configuration.... I live in Yonkers and have test driven the Blue at the White plains store -- beautiful combination!

    Previous to my now Ford Fusion Hybrid, I had a 2005 Acura TL - Blue with Camel Interior (very similar) and was the best combination of any car I've owned, thus I am repeating with the Model S!

    What time are you guys planning on being at the White Plains store? I could meet you there and we can all drive down into the city! I should be done with an appointment by 1pm and could be at the store by 1:30pm.... PM me!

    Aaron
    P #9,094
  • Nov 11, 2012
    xhawk101
    Exciting for you guys in the New York area! I have blue with tan and gloss obeche on order take pictures!

    from my Samsung galaxy s3
  • Nov 11, 2012
    teslasguy
    Aaron, I'll be at the store at around noon. ModelS1079 is meeting me there around 3 I think. So, looks like a Tesla flash mob Monday at White Plains store! ;/). Cool!


    P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Nov 11, 2012
    huntjo
    I'm in Boston till Tuesday for business, but have Monday afternoon available. If anybody is planning to drive down to New York I have an invite and can bring one guest. I'd love to carpool.
  • Nov 11, 2012
    cinergi
    Sorry I didn't reply to your PM huntjo. I've been figuring out my schedule and whether I'd definitely be driving down. Looks like I am. And to avoid driving in NYC during rush hour and whatnot, I'll be leaving my place at 11am tomorrow. I'll also need to have the car parked long enough to return a full charge, so I'm guessing I'll leave NYC around 8pm. If you're game for that, let me know. It's just me, so I've got room. Who else wants to come down with me?
  • Nov 11, 2012
    teslasguy
    Hey Cynergi, a few of us are getting together at the White Plains store tomorrow afternoon and the riding into the city together. If you join us you should be able to charge at the store. Maybe even leave it there to charge while we're in the city. Or you could just take us all into the city in your new Sig. Think about it. Could be the first Tesla clown car! ; )


    P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Nov 11, 2012
    JakeP
    +1 for "Tesla clown car" image.
  • Nov 11, 2012
    cinergi
    Hrm ... if they do have an HPC there, maybe ... I have arranged for an HPC in NY but driving in the city makes me nuts ... would someone drive us all from the WP store to the event and back?
  • Nov 11, 2012
    teslasguy
    Ben, Jim R. (Models1079) is driving down to WP from Boston also to meet up with us.
    He's trying now I think to hook up with you to discuss all of us riding into NY together.
  • Nov 11, 2012
    Discoducky
    Very jealous of y'all. Please take pictures.

    Also, is a there an official twitter hashtag for the event?
  • Nov 11, 2012
    AnOutsider
    Do we know yet what this is all about? I'm on the fence about going. Staying late in NYC for a quick speech about how well tesla is doing doesn't sound like an even trade off haha
  • Nov 11, 2012
    cinergi
    I may live broadcast the event if I'm allowed to :smile:
  • Nov 11, 2012
    ModelS1079
    Cinergi, if you can pull off a live broadcast you should replace the resigning head of the BBC. But if anyone can...
    I leave work at noon. Happy to carpool with anyone from the Boston area. We could all go in one car (hmmm...who's would that be?) if we were content to train it in together from White Plains. I do not know if that is really a hassle (Aaaron - word on that?). Else I am good with driving to White Plains and to transport all to the event, to allow for easier transport that night in and back to of the city. Aaron you mentioned you might also be able to drive all into the city, so if there were a carpool from Boston to White Plains that could cover to/from the city also. I'd be leaving NYC by 9pm, but maybe not be earlier as I am supposed to meet up briefly with a friend - certainly subject to amendment esp if someone else on transport. I believe we have 4 total in WPs (Jim John Aaron Ben, all but John returning to WP - yes?)

    In summary, flexible except noon departure. Psyched. Jim
  • Nov 11, 2012
    aaron.s
    Jim

    Just emailed you and PM'ed Ben. Willing to drive everyone in from White Plains (easier/more fun than the Train) and back again to White Plains. John said you were thinking about staying in the city until 9pm though. If you decide to drive in as well as Ben, we can take 2 cars in so you don't feel pressured to leave before you want and I could get Ben back to his car when he'd like...

    Totally flexible here and can easily fit 4 adults in my Fusion Hybrid :)
    (5 with a little squeeze ;-) )

    Aaron
  • Nov 11, 2012
    Prime Mover
    My wife and I will be making the trip to New York tomorrow. Looking forward to the Tesla "Reveal" on Monday and then back to Toronto for the Thursday night store opening event.
    And Canadian Sig deliveries soon...Way to go Tesla, keep "knockin' it out of the park"!
  • Nov 12, 2012
    ModelS1079
    Now, that is a Varsity Tesla effort. Impressive. See you at 34th street in 12 hours.
  • Nov 12, 2012
    yobigd20
    Lucky me. I work in the city so all I have to do is hop on the A C E and I'm there in 5 minutes. lol I'll see you all later this evening ;)
  • Nov 12, 2012
    doug
    Any word on a live feed being available for this event?
  • Nov 12, 2012
    Jkam
    I asked if there would be a live feed when I sent in my RSVP, and I was told the event would not be streamed live, but there will likely be a post video of the event in the future.
  • Nov 12, 2012
    aznt1217
    I am begging somebody to update this thread as the event unfolds
  • Nov 12, 2012
    ggies07

    I concur.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét