Thứ Năm, 29 tháng 12, 2016

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still! part 2

  • May 18, 2016
    Rocky_H
  • May 18, 2016
    AWDtsla
  • May 18, 2016
    Olle
    Sure, totally "illegal" cable but yes it would work for this application :) I think Tesla doesn't approve extensions on the UMC as it is.
  • May 18, 2016
    Olle
    While they can't know for sure why you are dialing down your current, I think they have a pretty good idea. Especially since everyone and their mother have Camcos and suitcases worth of homemade dongles. upload_2016-5-18_20-5-57.png
  • May 18, 2016
    AWDtsla
    Even an 8 AWG extension is superior to the current carrying capacity of the UMC cables.
  • May 18, 2016
    AWDtsla
    Who do we have to thank for that?
  • May 19, 2016
    Olle
    Probably Tesla who offers neither extension cords nor a wide enough range of adapters?

    At least Tesla offers a lot more than the "competitors" My friend has an i3. BMW won't even sell him a cable or adapter that lets him plug in to any 240 or 208 V outlet whatsoever. The only way is to install a J1772 "station" at home. Forget about visiting friends and family overnight if they live more then 50 miles away. Good grief.
  • May 19, 2016
    Rocky_H
    Yeah, of course any of the adapter cables that switch from one outlet type to another are not officially legit. Oh, yes, they specifically say NOT to use extension cords in the manual, and I got a nice stern warning/lecture when I was in for my two year service because they saw an extension cord in the car. But I did explain that I know about the recommendation to not use them, and I usually don't, and this was a thicker gauge cable that I specifically ordered for this, so it would not be as resistive as the 16 gauge wire most extension cords use.
  • May 19, 2016
    Rocky_H
    You've mentioned this twice now, that the only reason you think people turn down their current is because of using the wrong adapter for a lower power outlet. That's not the case at all. From discussion in the other Tesla forum, it seemed that somewhere around a third to a half of people there (including me) normally keep their current turned down a bit below 40A at home, just to keep the UMC cord less hot. I think my setting is 31A at home.
  • May 19, 2016
    JST
    Yes, please, on 14-30. Ended up at a hotel this past weekend where the only charging option was a 14-30. Since I didn't have an adapter, I was SOL. Had to charge at a remote location and uber back and forth.
  • May 19, 2016
    Gizmotoy
    If it's J1772, couldn't he just buy any portable EVSE? I mean, sure, it won't have the BMW logo on it, but that's the benefit of using an industry-standard connector: BMW doesn't HAVE to make one.

    We're a bit luckier in that we have a nicer connector than J1772, but are held back by the lack of cord length and connectors available for it. We can use J1772 with the adaptor, but it's kind of a hassle (I use it every day, it stinks).

    Neither case is ideal.
  • May 19, 2016
    AWDtsla
    We don't *have* to buy a Tesla EVSE either, but good luck getting that much power for that much price from anything else.

    There are several "mobile" EVSE's out there. Like this one Amazon.com: AeroVironment TurboCord Dual Plug-in EV Charger, 120 & 240 Volt: Automotive
  • May 19, 2016
    jerry33
    That's what I do except that I use 33 amps.
  • May 19, 2016
    Gizmotoy
    I know this wasn't your point, but you kind of do have to purchase a Tesla EVSE. It's included in the price of the car. :D
  • May 19, 2016
    thecloud
    And to fill in the gap here, I use 32 amps at home even though I have a 14-50 outlet installed. The lower setting keeps the UMC cord and adapter from heating up, as it will do if it's set to pull 40 amps continuously. (Out of curiosity, why the off-by-one settings of 31 and 33? Is there some advantage to those?)
  • May 20, 2016
    Phillip L
    I personally bought two of the 14-30's when I saw that they were going to be discontinued. We have an old farmhouse that we use as a summer cottage and needed them for the dryer outlet (UMC out through the window to the car). My paranoia, but I bought two, one to carry in the car, and one to leave at the farmhouse. I wonder, has anyone had any of the adapters like the 14-30 or 14-50 fail?

    P.S. I like so many others here, wondered why Tesla discontinued the 14-30. If I remember correctly, a few years ago someone surveyed Tesla owners and I was stunned by how many use other electrical sources other than the 14-50 or an EVSE. I myself for six months, before my garage was built, used a 15 amp plug on a heavy extension cord, for 6 km/hr and survived fine. Mind you the 100 amp
    wall charger is awesome!
  • May 20, 2016
    jerry33
    No real advantage that I'm aware of. There is a knee in the charging efficiency graph (at least in the Roadster) where 32 amps and above is more efficient than below 32 amps. I haven't measured this personally, so I'm just going by what those who have measured it say.
  • May 20, 2016
    Rocky_H
    I wanted to be unique and not have other people copying my charge setting. ;) No particular reason. Maybe anti-OCD? Had a momentary thing where I wanted to pick something that looked odd.
  • May 21, 2016
    supratachophobia
    It's there a 14-30 option for the roadster?
  • May 21, 2016
    MorrisonHiker
  • May 26, 2016
    kyalami
    Just purchased a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter at my local ACE hardware store today. 21.95. The store had a "camper" and RV display and there it was! Made by Camco.
  • May 26, 2016
    supratachophobia
    Excellent. Just don't forget to dial down the amps manually!
  • May 26, 2016
    TexasEV
    There are lots of such adapters, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the native UMC 14-30 adapter that automatically sets the correct amps. When you use the adapter you bought the car will set charging at 40A and you will have to remember to manually set it to 24A. And check that setting every time you use it. That's not as safe as using the native UMC 14-30 adapter.
  • May 27, 2016
    Rocky_H
    Uh, I am almost certain what you got was not a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter, especially not if you got it in the camping section of a store. There is no usable purpose a store would sell a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter. What I am almost sure you got is a 14-50 to TT-30, and it WILL NOT work for charging your Tesla, because it is wired wrong. Those adapters are in camping sections, because they are to allow mobile homes, requiring a 14-50 outlet to plug into the TT-30 outlets at some campgrounds if a 14-50 is not available and at least have their 120V power.



    At EVSE adapters, they do have a 14-50 to TT-30 that is wired correctly for the Tesla charging system, and they have this note on it:

    Please note: You may have seen similar adapters sold elsewhere. Although they look the same, they are wired very differently inside. Those adapters are wired for RV use and will not work with the Tesla. Ours is wired for the Tesla and will not work with RVs.�
  • May 27, 2016
    supratachophobia
    Also, if you plug your Tesla into said adapter, it won't charge. If you re-wire it properly, it will work with the Tesla. But after that, if you try to use it with an RV, things will explode.
  • May 27, 2016
    DMC-Orangeville
    I bought one of the last NEMA14-30 adapters from Tesla last year. I use it frequently at my cottage, otherwise it would be a LONG charge with a 5-15R. Tesla needs to bring them back for folks like me.
  • May 27, 2016
    supratachophobia
    Do Tesla's and cottages go hand in hand? If so, I need a cottage.....
  • May 27, 2016
    DMC-Orangeville
    Yep. Should be on the configurator page. Also included are the millions of bugs, that will splatter all over your (formerly) clean Tesla, on the drive up!
  • May 30, 2016
    grichard
    Mine is at the end of a mile and a half of dirt road. I haven't been able to bring myself to drive the Tesla down there yet.

    Just in case, though, I made myself a 6-20 adaptor to charge off of my A/C outlet.
  • May 31, 2016
    BobbyG
    Keep in mind that if you can locate either a 10-30 or 14-30 from a service center, then you can convert to any plug on the receptacle end. Both adapters will limit the draw to 24 amps which then allows for multiple plug-end options. I do, however, agree that Tesla needs to start making these again as I've advocated in other threads.
  • Jun 15, 2016
    Birdcar
    I just added my vote for 14-30. Though I can wire a 14-50R to the garage for $1000+ extra, I would rather use the existing 30A subpanel and a proper tesla adapter. Not having to remind myself and verify the 24A setting is a no brainer.

    Tesla stopping 14-30 and then 10-30 sale is the proof they are more popular and ran out first. Tesla was caught unprepared.
  • Jun 15, 2016
    TexasEV
    Unlikely, because Tesla started selling a 6-15 adapter long after the two 30A ones were discontinued. The reason for discontinuing them remains a mystery.
  • Jun 15, 2016
    GoTslaGo
    Yes, still don't understand why they discontinued them.

    It seems to me that more home-builders and ilk are adding 14-30 outlets as EV charging options (there was a recent thread about an apartment complex adding 14-30s and my own experience with a new home).

    I suspect they are comfortable with 14-30s for dryer use and are inclined to add 14-30s to the garage, where you could add an extra dryer if you wanted (a reasonably logical location for one if you think like a home builder).

    Someone else had posted that they use 14-50s for ovens, but if you think like a builder why would they want to put a 14-50 in the garage since it could only be used for EVs and ovens. Who is going to put an oven in the garage? I suspect they are less interested in getting the necessary permitting etc for the 14-50, even if it isn't that much.

    I suspect that 14-30s will gradually become the future of many built in EV charge point in (non-custom) homes due mainly to builder comfort with the plug. I have commented to my builder that they should convert to 14-50s for EV parking in the future, which I doubt will happen.

    Thus I hope and wish Tesla will reintroduce the 14-30 adapter.
  • Jun 16, 2016
    Birdcar
    Though the 6-15 starts earlier and keeps on selling, I am not sure the demand on 6-15 is as high as xx-30. Think about the home setting, how many homes have easily "accessible" xx-30 sockets and how many have 6-15 or 6-20 only ? driers use xx-30, air conditioners use 6-15 or 6-20. When both are available, people likely opt for the xx-30. I bet there are higher demand on xx-30. Anyway, that is my theory on why xx-30s run out first. Will see if tesla reintroduce them.

    I tend to agree with GoTslaGo, 30A is a lot easier than 50A to build and it is good enough for daily use. For long distance, Tesla nailed it.
  • Jun 16, 2016
    Rocky_H
    You are misunderstanding what happened, as indicated by your incorrect terminology: �ran out first�.

    Tesla intentionally discontinued and stopped making the 30A adapters, not �ran out�. And after they had become unavailable, they created and started offering the 6-15 adapter that hardly anyone wanted.
  • Jun 16, 2016
    Birdcar
    I see. Thanks for the correction. Why would tesla prefer 6-15 over 14-30 ? I don't see the reason behind.
  • Jun 16, 2016
    Rocky_H
    Heh, yeah, look farther upthread for people wondering about the ridiculous decision to offer a 6-15 adapter. They just don�t exist out in the world much. Hotel air conditioners are generally 6-20, with a T shaped slot, which can take either a 6-20 plug or 6-15 plug, the same way outdoor house outlets that are 5-20 have a T shaped slot to take either 5-20 or 5-15 plugs. But then if 6-20 are the only real outlets you can find, why does Tesla offer 6-15, which can only use 12 amps of it instead of 16?
  • Jun 16, 2016
    TexasEV
    Yeah, that's our point.
  • Jun 16, 2016
    Tazman
    I spoke with a store Manager and asked why they stopped making these. Answer was because people were burning their houses down due to old wiring. This only makes limited sense to me, but if true, the odds of someone burning their house down without the adapter are probably higher. Difference is that tesla doesn't wear the liability.
  • Jun 16, 2016
    GoTslaGo
    Interesting. I have heard of the 14-50 being associated with house fires (recall in 2014: Tesla Recalls 29,000 Model S Chargers Over Fire Concerns), but never the 14-30. Please correct me if I am wrong.

    It would make sense that Tesla would prefer everyone to use their HPWC or have a certified electrician put in a 14-50 (especially since they now have a dedicated 14-50 UMC) to minimize risk of house fires.
  • Jun 16, 2016
    Tazman
    Just going by what I heard, but I think you are right that essentially they have a strong incentive to have everyone install via a licensed electrician as long as the added total cost of ownership don't scare customers away.
  • Jun 17, 2016
    FlatSix911
    Agreed ... keep in mind that the "recall" was a simple software fix.

  • Jun 17, 2016
    neroden
    The software "fix" was nonsense and was panned by the electrical engineers on here. It suffers from false positives and false negatives.
  • Jul 9, 2016
    FMR3
    Great topic! 14-30 charging critical to me and my Model S. Currently making use of unused dryer relocated to garage. Don�t believe upgrade to 14-50 is easily and cost effectively doable. Worked great for 2 years, until yesterday, when I went to charge with 10 miles of range left, and nothing. No lights on charging cable, yet breaker didn�t trip and outlet had power.

    Tesla service tech came out late yesterday on his way home from work, but didn�t bring 14-30 adapter, and otherwise couldn�t diagnose. Said it wasn�t the cable, probably not the adapter, and that it looked like the power source. (Currently charging at 120V/4MPH and still troubleshooting. Swapped out 14-30 outlet, and still nothing. Any help here would be appreciated.)

    Also learned yesterday from Tech that 14-30 adapters no longer being made available. Why? Did searches but can�t find specific reason. Not sure why Tesla would nix these when 14-30 charging appears to be an ideal main and/or back-up charging solution for many owners.
  • Jul 9, 2016
    AZ Desert Driver
    As I looked at my 10-30 drier plug....it did not have the fourth wire for Ground. Extending the drier wire into the garage for the Tesla would have resulted in a ungrounded receptacle. This seems to be the same issue as the 10-30 to 14-50 adapters - no ground.
  • Jul 9, 2016
    TexasEV
    It's still a mystery why Tesla discontinued the 14-30 and 10-30 adapters, but then came out with the 6-15 adapter which is in much less demand.
  • Jul 9, 2016
    FMR3
    As mentioned just today to Tesla Devon SC personnel, it's generally not comforting when no specific reasons are given for such things, which leads owners to draw their own conclusions, some of which may not be accurate.

    An update to my situation: Had an electrician out today who found breaker good, wiring good (I have four leads, including neutral and ground), the 14-30 outlet good, but Tesla's 14-30 adapter BAD (with continuity/open circuit issues). Unusable after only two years of use. Told by Tesla Devon today that no 14-30 replacements in stock (either there or in my "region"), that national search must wait until Monday, that the part is no longer under warranty and if a replacement is located I would need to pay for it again. Dead in the water for now, relegated to 120V at 3-4 MPH as my main/home charging station.

    There could be known production issues with the 14-30 adapters and that they're all living on borrowed time, but this is admittedly speculation. I hope that Tesla eventually discloses the details behind the 14-30's disappearance, and if there are known issues, that the company endeavor to get these fixed ASAP and once again make the (new and improved) 14-30s available to owners who want and need them.
  • Jul 9, 2016
    dgpcolorado
    I don't think that's quite right. A 10-30 has a ground but no dedicated neutral; the ground is used as a neutral for 120 volt needs. This was replaced in the '90s by the 14-30, which has a separate ground and neutral.

    For making a 10-30 to 14-50 adapter one connects the ground/neutral wire in the 10-30 to the ground wire in the 14-50 and the neutral in the 14-50 is left unconnected. I built one � my parents have a house that was built in the last few months that 10-30 drier outlets were still being installed � and it works fine. The downside of a DIY approach, of course, is that one must remember to dial the current in the car down to 24 amps (my car "remembered" this setting for the five days I was charging on a 10-30 circuit, which was helpful).

    It would be nice if Tesla would make both 10-30 and 14-30 adapters or some sort of universal adapter that has an adjustable current setting that will tell the car what current is safe to draw. Perhaps Tesla discontinued the 240V/30A adapters because they were concerned about liability issues with substandard house 30 amp circuit wiring. Although if that was the case why offer the 120 volt adapters (substandard 120 V circuits are not uncommon)? I don't know.
  • Jul 9, 2016
    AZ Desert Driver
    So if I connected the l-shaped spade to the rounded Ground of a 14-50 socket, and the two other spades to the outward 14-50 slices. and left the center slot unconnected, I have just made a successful and safe adapter?
  • Jul 9, 2016
    dgpcolorado
    Yes.

    Do be aware that you will have to dial the current drawn by the car back to 24 A (and check to make sure that it stays that way each time you charge).

    Any such adapter should be marked as being "for Electric Vehicle use only, no neutral connection" since it would not be suitable for RV or other use.
  • Jul 9, 2016
    AZ Desert Driver
    I can build this for under $50. A full 40 foot trench install of a textbook 14-50 is $1000+. Also, I see that Tesla supplies sells a kit of about a 1/2 dozen adapters - one of which matches my needs. These might be better built than my DIY.
  • Jul 9, 2016
    dgpcolorado
    For those who wonder what we are talking about:

    [?IMG]

    [?IMG]

    The "neutral" (actually ground) in the 10-30 is connected to the ground in the 14-50 and the neutral in the 14-50 is left unconnected because it isn't used by Tesla (or other EVs, such as a LEAF).
    [?IMG]
  • Jul 9, 2016
    dgpcolorado
    Ah, this is the point of this thread: Tesla no longer sells a 14-30 adapter (I'm not sure if they ever sold a 10-30 adapter, but think they did). If you could get your hands on an actual Tesla 30 amp adapter it would be a great help. The reason is that a Tesla 30 amp adapter signals the car to automatically limit the current to 24 amps (80% of the circuit maximum). This is a convenience and safety feature.

    Folks here have managed to find the older adapters at Tesla stores or buy them from eBay and places like that. A Tesla adapter fits to the end of the UMC and makes charging very simple.
  • Jul 9, 2016
    FlatSix911
    This has been mentioned previously ... you can just mod your 14-50 plug for the 14-30 receptacle as recommended below.
    Keep in mind that you should reduce your amp setting to 24A on the Tesla display, and remember to check it regularly. :cool:

    [?IMG]
  • Jul 9, 2016
    FMR3
    Implemented this fix and workaround today and it worked like a charm. Back to getting 17-18 mph, vs. 3-4. Label outlet and plug to serve as reminder to check amp setting at car. If there are defects in Tesla's 14-30 adapter, this may be the better fix, as opposed to buying defective adapters.
  • Jul 9, 2016
    FlatSix911
    Well done!

  • Jul 10, 2016
    AZ Desert Driver
    So simple it is elegant.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    jerry33
    The only trick is you need to check it every time you plug in to insure it didn't go back up to 40 amps.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    dgpcolorado
    Are there reported defects in the 14-30 adapters? Haven't been paying much attention since I don't use any 14-30 outlets.
  • Jul 10, 2016
    TexasEV
    No.
  • Jul 12, 2016
    FMR3

    As noted above, I only got 2 years out of my 14-30, so perhaps there are defects in this particular adapter that Tesla has abandoned, despite the absence of any �reporting� of such.

    It would be helpful to hear from other owners who rely heavily on the 14-30 as to their experience with reliability. Before I implemented the 14-50 mod/fix that resolved my problem, my 14-30 would occasionally be rather warm (bordering on hot) to the touch when drawing the 24 amps. With the 14-50 drawing the same 24 amps, the adapter is much cooler to the touch. This may be obvious but bears mentioning. I�m no electrician, but doesn�t less heat translate into less wear and tear on the adapter?

    If so, perhaps this is yet another benefit to the 14-50 modification over the existing and hard-to-find 14-30. In my opinion, there�s no doubt that a 14-30 adapter is needed. That said, I�m not convinced that the 14-30 provided by Tesla and now discontinued is that adapter.
  • Jul 13, 2016
    ccutrer
    Please be careful with what you're stating here. A 10-30 has a neutral, but not a ground. In many cases, they are functionally the same -- 240V split-phase installation in the United States ties the neutral and ground together, AT ONE LOCATION for the entire site. Additional interconnections between ground and neutral can cause problems for the grounding system to be able to properly protect against faults. Also note that different types of fault protection (ground fault - GFCI, and arc-fault - AFCI) need to be able to distinguish between neutral and ground. And a portable generator likely does not have an actual ground - the neutral may be 120V from line, but both of those could be floating any distance away from true ground. So abusing ground as neutral may have unintended consequences for sensitive electronics that depend on a true 0 ground.

    These warnings shouldn't actually be a problem for EV charging at 240V that does not use a neutral. But having a proper ground instead of just a neutral is why we switched from 10-30 to 14-30 in the first place. Blanket assuming that the neutral on a 10-30 is "ground" is not safe.
  • Jul 14, 2016
    dgpcolorado
    Just so, thanks for the clarification (it is hard to know how much to say without getting into the weeds, so to speak).
  • Jul 29, 2016
    supratachophobia
    Hey everyone, just an update after I completed a trip out to California for the factory tour and gigafactory event. Well, we did it. The adapter should be available starting in September/October. Nice work for all of those that helped vote their need.
  • Jul 29, 2016
    MP3Mike
    Are you saying that Tesla gave in and will be bringing the 10-30 and/or 14-30 adapters back?
  • Jul 29, 2016
    supratachophobia
    I am saying that I barked up all the right trees with your votes (online merchandise, serviceNA, social media, and possibly bothering some people that shouldn't be bothered), and the result was, what I would consider a very reliable source, telling me to expect them available for sale around September/October.

    I would also add that I would not say that Tesla "gave in" on this. I think they legitimately did not know the need AND whatever means they used to gauge that need (logging/tracking customers calling in and asking for the adapter) was not adequate enough to communicate that need without outside intervention.
  • Jul 30, 2016
    KJD
    Thank you for bothering people for a good cause. I look forward to purchasing a 14-30 adapter soon.

    In the future what is the best way to let Tesla know that they need to rethink something again?
  • Jul 30, 2016
    TexasEV
    This confirms what many of us have been saying all along, that some people at Tesla have drunk too much of the supercharger Kool-aid. Probably the same ones who thought 48A charging on the Model X was adequate for everyone. They really need to get out of California more.
  • Aug 1, 2016
    supratachophobia
    You know, I was just thinking the exact same question. And it really is a good question, despite the dislike rating you received. Here is a very long response that may or may not turn out with an answer.

    Tesla has policies and procedures in place for running their company. Their core mission is to build cars, sell cars, and service those cars if need be. The 3 big picture items are well documented and for the most part, run along fine. It's the little corner cases, like this adapter, where the policy and procedure hasn't been finalized yet. It used to be, when Tesla was small, you'd call up whomever you had dealt with in the past, and they would know someone that could help. But now they have 15k employees and growing. While management is flat, I was finding that a lot of people were only really familiar with other people at their level, in their department. The trick was finding the longer term employees that knew people who had moved on to other departments and possibly moved up as well.

    I think Tesla has realized that not all of their customers have great ideas. They certainly appreciate all of us for buying cars, but let's face it, some of us have some pretty dumb suggestions on how things should be done. Either because we aren't as smart, or more likely, we don't have all the information.

    Whenever you make a suggestion to Tesla through serviceNA, they write it down and send it along it's way. I'm entirely unclear what happens after that. Based on feedback from owners and the sometimes slow-moving results, I tend to think your suggestion gets filed away like Dwights complaints in The Office. But seriously, I'm sure someone looks at them and determines that with the resources Tesla has, A, B, and C can be done, but D, E, and F need to wait. Now, here is where I can only suppose. If 250 people call in and ask for the NEMA 14-30, does that person see a total of requests in a report every 6 months? Or do they only see the daily rate at which those requests come in? Because you could get different results based on which way you look at it, right? "We get this request once a day." would garner more attention than, "We see this request once every two weeks." But, "Over the last 6 months, 250 people have requested this to happen." might be an attention getter as well.

    In this specific instance, I took the online voting results and sent them personally, to several departments as well as making follow-up phone calls, and bringing up the subject in person. I don't know exactly where the decision came from if it was any one department. Or if they were in a weekly meeting and three department heads said, "Hey, I had this TMC poll come in.", "Hey, I saw that one too.", "Hey, me too."

    I pretty much know for certain that without the voting results, nothing would have been done. Everything is a numbers game with Tesla right now. They need to devote resources to where they will get the most bang for their buck. And one person's request, just isn't going to cut it in getting something done.There could be exceptions on here for people like /u/bonnie who may have a more personal relationship with some of the C-level exces. But even she needs to be discerning in what requests she passes along, for fear of losing influence (I could be wrong here). Tesla employees are very busy people and in my opinion, should only be bothered by really important things. But the flip-side is that rooted in the company mentality is that if it's important to an owner, it's important to Tesla. But what may be important to you, isn't important to me. So back to prioritizing based on the numbers. I firmly believe that if they had the resources, every request would get a personal response and an action.

    This ties in with the 7.1 Software Improvement Voting we did almost a year ago. That poll garnered almost 5k votes from over 500 owners with 200 suggestions (and only 150 good ones :) ). We have seen at least 5 items from that list make it into v7 software, and my gut feeling is that we will see some more with v8. Now, it could be that voting did nothing to influence Tesla. And that's a valid conclusion since we really didn't receive any direct feedback from them. But then again, it could have since those features really were requested and they really did make it in.

    All that to say this. I think Tesla should have an "Ambassador Board" that is made up of only the crazy of the crazy of us. Those who are out there every day talking about the car, getting comments from owners, possibly getting referrals for sales, active on the forums, etc. This group would provide a rough focusing for Tesla that would act as either a starting point or a litmus test for the direction of certain things Tesla would like to implement. There would be no compensation offered, only a legitimate line of communication to help an ever-growing company stay in touch with an ever growing owner-base.
  • Aug 1, 2016
    KJD
    Any chance Tesla will put the 14-30 adapter back on the web site with a note of available soon or by "whatever date" ?

    That would show that they are really serious about doing it.

    Maybe someone could start a new poll to find out what other adapters people would like to see. Myself I think the 6-50 should be next and maybe the 6-20 after that.
  • Aug 1, 2016
    supratachophobia
    If they make it, I will buy it. It's just not worth not having when you find yourself in an odd charging situation. Someone requested a new poll for 10-30, but I like your idea on simply voting for which adapter people want to see most, with maybe a two vote limit.
  • Aug 25, 2016
    KnowLittle
  • Aug 25, 2016
    supratachophobia
    We did it. And J. McNeil came through for us early even!
  • Aug 25, 2016
    Gilzo
    You had a huge hand in making this happen. Good job man.
  • Aug 25, 2016
    chipmunk
    Ordered! Thanks all! If you want to skip the article, here's the link to purchase.
  • Aug 25, 2016
    supratachophobia
    They should really change the voltage range to 110-250 since you can use this
    Come on Fred, you gotta give the context. This was a grass-roots campaign to bring this adapter back! Where is his contact info....

    I mean, this started with black-market dealings, then went on to food-trucks, online polls, and harassing of Tesla executives.
  • Aug 25, 2016
    Only Trons
  • Aug 25, 2016
    FlatSix911
    Well done! :cool:

    upload_2016-8-25_21-47-36.png
  • Aug 26, 2016
    MorrisonHiker
    Glad to see they are back in stock (even though we already have a couple of them, thanks to @supratachophobia )

    So far, I haven't seen any grammar police postings concerning the product listing. o_O
  • Aug 26, 2016
    supratachophobia
    Holy crap, I didn't even read the listing. It specifically mentions using it at a friend or relatives house. Which is exactly why most of us need it. That's solid.
  • Aug 26, 2016
    neroden
    Dammit, I guess we may have to do this to get an upstate NY service center (I think Syracuse is best). Tesla *should* be more alert to the pulse of the people, but they clearly aren't.

    I'm going to an electric car show next month and I'll have to tell people not to buy Teslas until we get a service center less than 200 miles away. :-(

    Thanks for your feedback about this. I don't have the energy to organize this sort of campaign right now, but maybe after I get certain complex personal things dealt with. If nothing is in the queue by Spring I should have time to start making noise.
  • Aug 26, 2016
    supratachophobia
    My observation and from what I've heard actually spoken to me by Tesla employees, is that Tesla needs to focus on what can benefit the most people with the available resources. But the way in which they gauge that benefit may not truly be representative of need in all cases. The 14-30 is a good example. I think that product sold, it just didn't sell in huge numbers. Some metric somewhere told them, "well, it didn't sell enough of Y in X amount of time, so we got rid of it." But it eventually sold out. So in actuality, it sold in proportion to need, which grew simply by ownership base increasing.

    For service centers, sales galleries, and superchargers, Tesla looks at how many customers are around a given area to make a build-out decision. This is my frustration with the Charleston, WV supercharger location or lack thereof. Not a huge presence around the area (but some), yet, the amount of people who migrate between the states of Ohio and Florida is one of the highest dual-residencies in the whole US. So while the benefit would not be directly to that local area, it would be a huge benefit that people that leave their Tesla's in either state because electric driving isn't as direct as ICE driving.

    So regarding the service center, you may be caught in a catch-22. They might not deploy one unless there are more owners, but there might not be more owners until they deploy one.
  • Aug 26, 2016
    neroden
    That is asinine stupidity. They need to stop doing that ASAP. Whoever suggested that should be fired immediately because it's completely moronic. Nobody with even a quarter of a brain would make build-out decisions that way.

    And this is why that is asinine stupidity.

    Does Musk know that the company is doing something this unbelievably stupid? It's a solid way to drive the company into the ground if they keep it up.
  • Aug 26, 2016
    Snerruc
    I believe a previous thread there was a discussion aboutN Y limiting Tesla to a fixed small number of places. There aremore people with Tesla size incomes in the city area. Busines logic dictates putting them in the largest area. VA can have only one and it is in the DC area. The golden rule.. The gold rules.
  • Aug 26, 2016
    supratachophobia
    They, like Ohio, are limited in the number of sales galleries.
  • Aug 26, 2016
    MorrisonHiker
    It's the same in Colorado. Only one store allowed in the entire state. :(
  • Aug 26, 2016
    supratachophobia
    The good news is that they will get there eventually. They have made a huge amount of progress and will continue to do so. It's hard for me sometimes because I think "well I just want this thing that's important to me", but I think everyone thinks that on some level. A good example being that while I sympathize with your NY service center, i care more about the Charleston supercharger. And I know you to feel the opposite, and that's OK.

    Tesla isn't done yet.
  • Aug 26, 2016
    Rocky_H
    Just thought I would add that I just ordered my 14-30 adapter as well. Let's keep it up.
  • Aug 26, 2016
    supratachophobia
    Funny story, Ive heard that some people at Tesla were mildly surprised at how many of these things have been purchased in the last 24hrs.
  • Aug 26, 2016
    TexasEV
    If they bring back the 10-30 adapter they'll have another chance to be surprised.
  • Aug 26, 2016
    thecloud
    Just purchased mine today, so +1. :)
  • Aug 26, 2016
    ccutrer
    I'd like a 6-50, too. And 6-20. And while I'm dreaming, a TT-30. Sure the demand won't be high, but I like to keep my charging options open. If they could lower the price of these a bit (say $20-25) I'm sure more people would want to collect them all. That will be especially true (the effects of price point) once Model 3 starts shipping.
  • Aug 27, 2016
    AZ Desert Driver
    I can't seem to find the link as to where to buy this adapter, or how much it costs. Any leads?
  • Aug 27, 2016
    ccutrer
    Tesla � NEMA 14-30
  • Aug 27, 2016
    neroden
    Yeah, they did eventually get the crucial Erie supercharger... :)

    I'm more worried about service centers mainly because the rate of increase has been so insufficient. The Supercharger program seems to have really gotten up to speed, and they're installing dozens of sites at any given time... you'll probably get your Charleston supercharger within a year. The service centers seem to be having genuine problems scaling up, and I feel like it's not just my area, it's everywhere. Arkansas? Michigan?

    Oh yeah! :)
  • Aug 29, 2016
    Rocky_H
    The obvious difference is that it is safe and fairly easy to adapt on the same current level, so 14-50 to 6-50, etc. are no problem. The pent-up demand was because they did not have a correctly current limiting adapter for 30A circuits, which can serve 14-30, 10-30, and TT-30.
  • Aug 29, 2016
    supratachophobia
    Another fun fact, there are roughly 1500 14-30 adapters currently in stock. So hurry and purchase now.
  • Sep 2, 2016
    thecloud
    Has anyone who ordered the 14-30 adapter received it yet?

    Just curious. Previously when I've ordered in-stock items, they've shipped within 2 or 3 business days. Haven't heard anything for a week since my order was confirmed.
  • Sep 2, 2016
    mattmass
    I just got the shipping notification this morning.
  • Sep 2, 2016
    CliffG
    Took a week until I got email saying it's been shipped. On the other hand, Fedex says it won't be delivered for another week. At least I'm not in a hurry.
  • Sep 2, 2016
    CuriousG
    How long does it take to ship? My DS told me they ordered one for me and would call when it arrives. This was 8 days ago.
  • Sep 2, 2016
    Az_Rael
    Mine shipped yesterday
  • Sep 7, 2016
    Ulmo
    I got mine yesterday, ordered August 25, so 12 days. It shipped from Newark, California. The manufacture stamp mold says it was manufactured July 2016. It is stamped "TeslaMotors,Inc.", "208-240V-,30A", "USN14-30", "1018243-00-C". (Nitpick: why not 250V? Of course, that's Veff (Vrms), so Vpeak (Vm) is even more :p And why the bad punctuation? The errant "-" after the 240V, and the lack of spaces; the 14-50 adapter has the same punctuation, including the errant dash -- maybe it means something?)

    It spurred me into getting all the charging parts necessary, and the only piece I ordered but haven't received is the HPWC. Oddly, the first thing I received was the Chademo adapter, which took 5 days to receive.
  • Sep 7, 2016
    supratachophobia
    Man, they jumped on that online poll fast if production was July.....
  • Sep 7, 2016
    thecloud
    Mine arrived today; also manufactured July 2016 (there is a circle of numbers from 1 to 12, with an arrow pointing to the 7.)

    I'm thinking that the removal of the 14-30 and 10-30 adapters has spurred some other sales to owners who suddenly realized that Tesla could stop selling any of the existing accessories for our vehicles. At any time. Without prior notice. I know that I delayed buying this adapter because I didn't have a trip immediately planned where I would use it. When that trip actually happened, the adapter was no longer available and so I couldn't make use of an overnight charging opportunity. Now I'll be ready when the opportunity strikes again.

    I recently ordered a front trunk mat for my P85 as well, because vehicles with the microwave-style frunk are no longer being made and it's probably just a matter of time before those accessories get phased out.
  • Sep 7, 2016
    supratachophobia
    They still don't make a frunk mat for dual motor cars.....
  • Sep 7, 2016
    thecloud
    Whatcha talkin' bout? (Although it does say it's not compatible with the new front fascia, so technically they don't make one for the currently shipping post-refresh models...)
  • Sep 8, 2016
    ecrsail
    Received mine today!
  • Sep 8, 2016
    Only Trons
    Me too!
  • Sep 10, 2016
    CliffG
    Mine arrived today, exactly when promised.
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    Can someone post their results?
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    I think "arrived" is the result of ordering it. What are you looking for?
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    IMG_4884.JPG
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    Interesting, that's an older one.. manufactured December 2013. Is that one you just purchased?
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
    Nope, it's from the original production run :cool:
  • 1/1/2015
    guest
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét