Thứ Bảy, 31 tháng 12, 2016

Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter? part 2

  • May 16, 2014
    JakeP
    Just received mine today. It rattles when moved or shaken. Does everyone else's rattle? Is that just the fuse? Going to test this new one before I send back the old one, for sure.
  • May 16, 2014
    JPP
    Return address on the FedEx label is a particular person at TM Fremont, not some random drop box in another city/state. Since your VIN is on a sticker inside the box they need to at least open the box and read the VIN to log the returned adapter. I will give the TM staffer a modicum of credit for the ability to see that there is a note on top of the adapter which might be interesting to read.....
  • May 16, 2014
    FlasherZ
    There is no fuse. There are only higher-rated plastics and better welds.
  • May 16, 2014
    JakeP
    That makes me wonder even more about what could be rattling in there!
  • May 16, 2014
    Ugliest1
    In case any Canadians are wondering they haven't started shipping to Canada yet. I was at the Vancouver SC yesterday, asked about mine, and TJ said they're almost done the US and should start Canada's soon.
  • May 16, 2014
    gg_got_a_tesla
    No sign of mine. Not that I need it urgently - charge at work from HPWCs/J1772s/5-20s and from a 10-30 at home - but, would rather not be forgotten. I did get the recall letter in the mail about a month ago, I think.
  • May 16, 2014
    ThortsMD
    Got mine about 4 days ago. Works great. I will be taking a joy ride from Seattle to So. Cal this coming week, and will personally deliver my old one to the factory during my tour on Wed. :biggrin:

    -----------UPDATE----------------

    The nice lady at the front desk at the Fremont factory laughed and winked when I handed her my old adaptor prior to my factory tour.
  • May 16, 2014
    AlMc
    I received my two today. Like many, I may make sure they work well for a few days before sending the originals that have no evidence of problem back to TM.
  • May 16, 2014
    tezco
    Mine hasn't arrived either, but I've never used it( or the UMC either!). J1772 does all the work at my place...
  • May 17, 2014
    swegman
    I suggest calling them. My VIN is in the low 8000's and i haven't gotten them (need 2) yet, even though I got the letter 2 months ago. When I called them on Thursday, they indicated it had been shipped (or was being shipped) to my address in CA. Problem is, I don't live in CA and never have. They apparently have a separate database of addresses for shipping the replacement adapters, because another database the woman checked had my correct address. I live on the east coast. They changed the address in their system, and hopefully I will get the adapters soon.
  • May 17, 2014
    Only Trons
    Received both of mine about a week ago. Tried both of them a couple of times and all seems well. I returned the two original adapters yesterday.
  • May 17, 2014
    scaesare
    Got mine in the mail yesterday... rattle and all.

    I don't have a NEMA 14-50 at home, however... so I'll be hard pressed to be able to test mine.
  • May 17, 2014
    JPP
    ...do you mean 14-50???
  • May 18, 2014
    scaesare
    Yup, edited, thanks.
  • May 18, 2014
    100thMonkey
    got mine yesterday in the mail, swapped it out and no issues so far (never had an issue with the original and plan to keep it as a spare).
  • May 18, 2014
    Zythryn
    It is supposed to be returned.

    We just got our second yesterday. Installed and working just fine.
  • May 18, 2014
    stevezzzz
    I got mine last week; used it at home and on a road trip this weekend. Had some trouble getting the car to start charging with one of the foreign 14-50's (red ring of death), but reseating everything (adapter, 14-50 plug and charging port) we got it working. I returned my original adapter (well, it wasn't the first adapter I got with the car, since my UMC was replaced once before) but the paperwork insisted I return it as part of the recall).
  • May 18, 2014
    TurboFroggy
    Just got mine on Friday, worked perfect. Didn't have any issues with my original 14-50.
  • May 19, 2014
    JakeP
    Mine gave me a flash of orange before it turned green, and after an hour at 40A my dash thermometer read 92F inside my cool garage, where the high temp of the day was 73F. I ran an errand and plugged it back in, and after an hour was reduced to 30A with a "Charging problem, check power source and charge cable" error. Just used my old 14-50 last Sunday at 40A, no such issues. Will do some more tests before deciding to send the old one back.
  • May 21, 2014
    Peter_M
    Got mine today, so they have started shipping to Canada.
  • May 21, 2014
    Ugliest1
    Yup, received mine yesterday. So the flood starts.
  • May 21, 2014
    JakeP
    FlasherZ, for what it is worth, this is what my service center responded regarding the rattle, as they were checking my logs for the orange circle I received while testing the new adapter:

    "I double checked with parts and they stated that the movement you are hearing within the adapter is normal and comes from a fuse that is within."
  • May 21, 2014
    FlasherZ
    See post #99 here:
    Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter? - Page 10
  • May 21, 2014
    JST

    This is deeply odd. See my post 51, here, with side by side pics of my two adapters.

    Has anyone received the replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter? - Page 6

    Note that the letter referred to in post #99 (here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM454956/RCDNN-14V006-7510.pdf) states that: "The new adapter will be readily identified by a green dot marking not present on old adapters."

    Now check that picture I posted. The adatper on the left, with the part number that ends in B and a green dot, is NOT the one that came in the box. The adapter on the right, with the grey colored plastic insert and the part number that ends in E, is the one that I received in the box. It does not have a green dot.

    To add further mystery to this whole thing, I received the "B" green-dot adapter when they replaced my UMC at a service visit in Jan or Feb. The E adapter came in the box later.
  • May 21, 2014
    JakeP
    Totally understand, just passing along what the Service Center told me. On the one hand, what does a guy in the parts department necessarily know. On the other hand, what could possibly be rattling inside the adapter besides a fuse? Perhaps they changed their minds again...it has been three months since that letter in February.
  • May 21, 2014
    markb1
    Well, it shouldn't be very expensive to find out what's really in the adapter. Only $45 for a replacement. Tempting.
  • May 21, 2014
    Zythryn
    I have been told by our service center, that the green dot does not signify the new adapters.
    The new adapters are identified by the grey faceplate.

    The service centers are not yet getting the new adapters. First priority goes to existing owners. They will eventually get them, after all adapters attached to a VIN get theirs.
  • May 21, 2014
    FlasherZ
    Just received mine today, and it is a -E revision and does have a green dot.
  • May 21, 2014
    JST

    Curiouser and curiouser. Your green dot is in the same place as the dot on my B adapter?

    I will have to see if I can dig up the letter I received and see what it says.
  • May 21, 2014
    Peter_M
    Mine (received today) has part number 1014324-00-E, and it has a green dot next to the neutral pin (the middle flat one). The manufacturing date stamp on it is May 2014. The two in JST's post are stamped Jan 2014 (-B, green dot next to ground pin) and Mar 2014 (-E, no visible green dot).

    Anyway, the letter from Tesla says what matters is the grey face - I'm assuming these other variations don't matter.
  • May 21, 2014
    qwk
    Yep, Tesla employees aren't that reliable when it comes to accurate information, but the rattle indicates something significantly different, because the old adapters don't rattle.
  • May 21, 2014
    JST
    Actually, on further inspection, my adapter with the grey face also has a green dot. It's just in a different location. It does not make any kind of rattling, though. aqu7enan.jpg
  • May 21, 2014
    Zythryn
    I'm guessing the green dot is simply an additional QC mark.
    Additional test each adapter, old and new, started being put through.
  • May 21, 2014
    JakeP
    Mine has the same green dot on the face, the grey connector face, and is the E revision part number like yours. But mine makes a very distinct clicking/rattling noise when you shake it along the horizontal axis of the prongs, and a very slight rattling noise when you shake it along the vertical axis perpendicular to the prongs. Interesting that Columbus SC said the clicking was normal and due to an internal fuse, but that yours doesn't click, and the letter from February that FlasherZ linked to indicates the new adapter would not contain an internal thermal fuse.
  • May 21, 2014
    Peter_M
    Mine clicks as you describe, and it's the -E, made in May, received today.
  • May 22, 2014
    FlasherZ
    My green dot is next to the manufacture month indicator (between it and the neutral prong). And for what it's worth, mine doesn't rattle.
  • May 22, 2014
    Peter_M
    I don't think the rattle is a fuse. Some of the adaptors have something in them that rattles and some don't. I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's a problem. My 5-15 and 14-30 adaptors rattle as does my new 14-50 adaptor.
  • May 22, 2014
    Kalud
    Got mine today.

    The rattle (on mine, at least) is only one of the two power pin on the UMC side of the connection that moves just a little bit in the plastic hole. If you can hold it with a pen then the rattle stops. A non-issue, IMHO.
  • May 24, 2014
    TonyWilliams
    I have a failed NEMA 14-50 Tesla plug for the UMC, and even though I have bought 100 of the UMC's, I have not received any replacement plugs.

    I went to the San Diego Service Center, and they don't have any, nor do they have a UMC. They said they would automatically ship them, however, since I don't own a Tesla car, I tend to think that they won't.

    I just called the Costa Mesa Sevice Center and they don't have them.

    Just called LA / Santa Monica Service Center, and they will call me back.

    So, I have a physically failed part (an open on one of the power pins) and currently no replacement on the horizon.
  • May 24, 2014
    Chipper
    Why would you buy 100 UMC's???
  • May 24, 2014
    markb1
    He converts them to J1772 and sells them to RAV4 owners.
  • May 24, 2014
    TexasEV
    Does the Rav 4 even use the UMC connector? I thought it had a J1772 port.
  • May 24, 2014
    arnolddeleon
    Yes it has a J1772 port. Tony's company cuts the UMC connector off and properly crimps on a J1772 nozzle. Viola a high power portable EVSE and it's still compatible with a model S (with the UMC to J1772 adapter).

    arnold

    - - - Updated - - -

    Bah, I can't edit my post, here is link to the thread that explains more:

    Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772

    arnold
  • May 24, 2014
    JPP
    Per my other posts, it apperas that TM is prioritizing replacement to Model S owners with appropriate VINs. Some of us bought 1 spare (...not 100) as a cash sale. Assuming that TM corporate/compliance is even aware of the extra adapters and associated buyer info, they are probably not going to replace extras yet. FWIW, when I returned 1 of my 2 adapters in the box, I enclosed documentation about the other one, so that they could log it into their system. I assume I will get my 2nd replacement in due time.
  • May 24, 2014
    AlMc
    I bought a spare UMC after receiving my model S to keep at work. I received two replacements 14-50 adapters about a week ago in the mail. Both mailed in the same box.
  • May 24, 2014
    dsm363
    I still haven't gotten it but don't use it right now so will wait to contact them.
  • May 26, 2014
    AnOutsider
    Perhaps they are prioritizing those they can somehow see "use" it?
  • May 26, 2014
    dsm363
    Could they really tell that? I guess they could say that anyone charging at 40 A is most likely using UMC and 14-50 adapter.
  • May 26, 2014
    SteveW25561
    I got mine (British Columbia, Canada) Thursday last week.
  • May 26, 2014
    CalDreamin
    I've only used my 14-50 adapter one time, last July at an RV park. My replacement 14-50 adapter arrived several weeks ago. I use a HPWC to charge at home, almost always at 40A.
  • May 27, 2014
    Cottonwood
    Maybe leaving those of us with HPWC's to last. I am completely OK with that...My UMC spends most of its time in its bag in the back of the MS. In fact, when I do a road trip, an item on my check list is to give the UMC a test to make sure it is operational in case I need it.
  • May 27, 2014
    Brass Guy
    I use the 14-50 daily and have not received the new adapter. I'm not worried, it gets quite warm but no where near melting; I can still grab it.
    Also I've recently decided to reduce to 30A with hopes of reducing waste. The entire length (80'+) of my #6CU is definitely warmer than ambient when charging at 40A.
  • May 27, 2014
    Mayhemm
    This is solid advice. Even though 99% of the time I will be relying on the J1772 adapter alone, it would be unfortunate to have the UMC not function that one time I do need it.

    Do you test each and every adapter or just one to make sure the UMC itself is functioning?

    I'm definitely going to add a UMC test to my roadtrip prep checklist.
  • May 27, 2014
    Cottonwood
    I just the 14-50 adapter that is normally connected to the UMC. I have a 14-50 receptacle in the garage that is a backup for my HPWC. It's pretty easy to plug the UMC into the 14-50 to give it a quick test without moving the car. I do check to see that my full kit of adapters and extension cords is in the car. When living off the land, it's good to be ready and adaptable for that next meal.
  • May 27, 2014
    TonyWilliams
  • May 28, 2014
    AnOutsider
    Got my adapter yesterday... I think.... The folks who bought our old home told their realtor, who told our realtor, who told me, that a small package arrived from Tesla. Particularly frustrating as I moved at the end of last summer and have been on Tesla to update my address everywhere it appears in their systems.
  • May 28, 2014
    tezco
    Glad yours arrived. I received mine a few days ago also. Have never used the original; many of my posts note that I charge via J1772, so I should have been last on the list. I think it's random, just like the firmware updates.
  • May 29, 2014
    Chipper
    I wonder how many of us are still waiting for ours? I look for it daily, but alas.........
  • May 29, 2014
    TonyWilliams
    Tesla did send me "a bunch" of these 14-50 plugs, so I need to figure out how many more I need. Any of the old ones with a green dot are post Jan 2014 production, and meet the standard. They won't be replaced.
  • May 29, 2014
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Hmm... that explains it. Service had swapped mine out in early February with an old-looking one (black face, part number ending in -A, I think) but, with a green dot. I still received the recall letter a few weeks later but, no sign of a gray face rattling replacement.
  • May 30, 2014
    AnOutsider
    You're probably right. I plan to swing by the old house today or tomorrow and double check that that is indeed what it is.
  • May 30, 2014
    swegman
    Got my two replacement adapters today (I bought a spare UMC for traveling). One of the adapters rattles and one does not. Has there been a definitive determination of whether the rattle is something to be concerned with? Thanks.
  • May 30, 2014
    Otmar
    Sure enough, mine arrived today. Tesla got it right and I didn't have to prompt them. I'm not driving the car anymore so I was in no hurry, but it can still charge so I'll test the replacement and then send back the old one.
  • May 30, 2014
    Peter_M
    Some adaptors rattle - old and new, 14-50 and other types. One post on this thread said that it was just a piece of metal in one of the connectors moving around a bit. Don't worry about it if there are no other problems.
  • May 31, 2014
    Mayhemm
    Slightly OT, but has anyone with a NEMA 6-50 adapter gotten an updated replacement?

    I was told back in April they were being updated and I notice they are no longer for sale in the store.
  • May 31, 2014
    Cosmacelf
    The latest I have heard (From Tesla actually) is that they are dropping support for the NEMA 6-50 adapter. In their minds, presumably, the 6-50 was a stop gap measure early on for when the HPWCs were delayed. It is relatively easy to make a 14-50 to 6-50 pigtail adapter going forward...
  • Jun 6, 2014
    Doug_G
    I just got the replacement adapter. So they're trickling out there.
  • Jun 6, 2014
    andrewket
    I received my second one today.
  • Jun 8, 2014
    brianman
    When I asked directly about the 6-50 in e-mail, I was told explicitly that the 6-50 does not need the change that the 14-50 did. I didn't push further on why that's the case.
  • Jun 10, 2014
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Got a "nastygram" email this morning from Tesla reminding me to return my old 14-50 adapter now that I should have the new gray faceplate one... Which I don't! Replied to them indicating that I never received the new one and put my mailing address in the reply for good measure.
  • Jun 10, 2014
    caddieo
    Got the same email as you. Unfortunately, I've been away from home for a couple of weeks with another week to go. I presume it did arrive and was picked up by my house watcher from the front door or else is languishing in the Post Office (depending on which of my addresses they used). No sense replying to them at this point.
  • Jun 10, 2014
    Sparrow
    I got the same email eventhough I returned my old adapter to the local service center a couple of weeks ago.
  • Jun 10, 2014
    AnOutsider
    Ditto here. Tesla sent the adapter to the wrong address. I did finally manage to go get it, and sent it off with my car to the SC yesterday.

    I like how they're 3 months or so behind on getting these to people, and are now rushing folks to send them back.
  • Jun 10, 2014
    andrewket
    I received my second replacement this past week. When I bought the second UMC the service center kept the old style 14-50 that came in the kit. So now that I have the two new 14-50 adapters I returned the one that came with the car. I received the email requesting the return the next day. I suspect the accounting when a service center is involved is going to be completely wrong.
  • Jun 10, 2014
    ACDriveMotor
    I received a similar email - turned my old one into the SC several weeks ago when I had Ti armor installed.
  • Jun 10, 2014
    Sparrow
    I replied to the letter telling them that I turned mine into the SC and was surprised that they responded the same day. They did not respond to the return of my adapter, but because I questioned the fact that I still do not have a replacement adapter for my wife's car, which I had bought used 6 months ago. For some reason whatever database they are using still listed the car as being owned by the previous owner despite the fact that my profile page on the Tesla web site shows I own the car, I have access to the car thru the mobile app (which meant I had to prove to Tesla Corporate that I owned the car by sending copies of my title and registration) and I have been to the service center twice here and their records show my ownership. Hopefully I will now see a new adapter soon.
  • Jun 10, 2014
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Tesla onlineorders just confirmed that they sent the package in late April to my old address (I moved exactly a year ago and changed my address with Tesla but, it looks like they have too many databases?!).

    Chasing down the the buyer of my previous house now...
  • Jun 17, 2014
    NigelM
    Same here. Adapter was sent late May to our old address; we moved almost 2 years ago and I've updated our address at least 4 times with different folks at Tesla. Crazy thing is that our Model S was registered and delivered to our new address so you'd imagine that Tesla would use that one in any case.

    Buyer of our previous house is renting it out to vacationers and chances of finding that FedEx parcel = 0
  • Jun 17, 2014
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Tesla sent a new package to my current address today. Grey face, no rattle. Shipping the old one back tomorrow.

    Buyer of the previous house generously offered to hand the other package over in person. Will return that to Tesla after.
  • Jun 17, 2014
    Seven7
    Got the new plug two months ago, sent the old one back with the shipping label that was in the box. No harsh e-mails from Tesla so far.

    ETA here's the funny (sort of) thing, I never use the UMC in the last eleven months used it three times, and most of those were at the body shop :mad:
  • Jun 17, 2014
    dsm363
    Still don't have one yet. Will probably have to ask for it.
  • Jun 17, 2014
    gg_got_a_tesla
    Yup; it must be busy celebrating with the Spurs in San Antonio ;)
  • Jun 17, 2014
    NigelM
    But you didn't just move house, you moved states!

    Ironically funny that a company with such tech talent has an obvious hard time with their customer database(s).
  • Jun 18, 2014
    AnOutsider
    Tell me about it. I thought I was a fringe case. Anywho, got mine and am using it down at a Koa (along with the new umc). All's working well
  • Jun 18, 2014
    MarkR
    Of course you're a "fringe case," you're AnOutsider! :rolleyes:
  • Jun 18, 2014
    AnOutsider
    Haha, ya know, my original post was along the lines of "an outside occurrence" but thought it too much
  • Jun 18, 2014
    dsm363
    I emailed ownership last night and got an email from service at 2AM (they work long hours) saying they'd send one out.
  • Jul 27, 2014
    purplewalt
    I just returned from TMC Connect, and used a couple of RV parks as charging stations (in order to escape and then return to the Texas Island).

    Twice (Cedar City, UT and Hutchinson, KS), the new unit detected excess heat (it was 103 and 104 degrees in the air, metal RV charging boxes were directly in the sun, who knows how hot they were), and the unit tripped the breaker.
    It had been charging @ 40 A, and restarted charging @ 30 A reduced rate.

    The downside of this is instead of 28 to 29 miles of range per hour, you are now charging at about ~21 miles per hour.
    AND that is a huge problem.
    A former 7 or 8 hour day-time charge now becomes a 10 or 11 hour recharge.
    (Okay, I admit I am a bit spoiled after finally using Supercharger after Supercharger with only slight waiting...)

    But additional +3 or 4 hours or waiting for a daytime charge---YUCK.

    I called service in CA, and let them know, told them I would like my old charge connector back, and would sign a document saying I would ONLY use it at RV parks, never at my house.
    OR, Tesla could simply build several Superchargers connecting Texas to the rest of the world, and the old connector would (almost) never be needed.
    The service tech did not know what will become of the old units that are being returned.
    Anybody who has their original NEMA 14-50 connector unit, and has not yet returned it to TM, I could probably still make good use that son-of-a-gun at RV parks.
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Klaus
    As far as I remember the reduced charge rate of 75% of max when sensing a voltage drop due to abnormally high resistance in the circuit is a feature of the Model S software and unrelated to the UMC adapter. The new adapters are just built better. So keeping the old adapters *should* not make any difference. They certainly have no capability to tell the car to charge at reduced rate.

    Here is the TMC Wiki link:

    Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

    and here the description of the adapter changes:

    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM454956/RCDNN-14V006-7510.pdf
  • Jul 28, 2014
    TonyWilliams
    Exactly. They updated the plastic to a higher melting point plastic and hopefully fixed the ultrasonic welding flaws. That's it. The firmware on the car does the rest.


    TeslaUMC1450cutopen2.jpg



    TeslaUMC1450cutopen7.jpg
  • Jul 28, 2014
    Cosmacelf
    Btw, it isn't too surprising that the Tesla software found a potential electrical problem at the RV park - RV park wiring is notorious for having electrical wiring that barely passes muster. An EV load at 40 amps continuous is a lot more load than they get with any RV.

    It is unfortunate, but Tesla has to err on the side of safety. This isn't Tesla's problem, their charging system is doing what it supposed to do. It isn't even the RV park's problem, as they don't advertise themselves out as EV charging spots. It is what it is until Tesla builds out more superchargers.

    Tony is right, the new NEMA 14-50 adapters have nothing to do with it, it is just the new software that detects potential circuit faults and reacts accordingly.
  • Jul 28, 2014
    Zextraterrestrial
    I still have an old 14-50 connector and my car drops the 40A to 30A at Hopland when it is hot/voltage fluctuates. I was thinking the newer adapters are better but really it is just the source power/software. Set at 38A when we went to get lunch and it didn't drop (still didn't make it home in time...285 PSS have terrible range characteristics)
  • Jul 28, 2014
    markb1
    I disagree with this. It is the RV park's problem if they install a 50A outlet that can't safely sustain 40A.
  • Jul 28, 2014
    TexasEV
    It was for this reason that one of the speakers at TMC Connect recommended setting the amps down to 28A when charging at a RV park, unless you're staying by the car to reset the breaker if it trips. He's seen it trip even at 30A at some RV parks. Nothing to do with Tesla's 14-50 adapter-- it's the RV park wiring. Once he put a bag of ice on a RV park breaker to keep it cool!
  • Jul 28, 2014
    Sparrow
    On my one visit to an RV park the breaker tripped after about 15 minutes running at 40 amps and this was after I asked if anyone had any problems drawing 40 amps continuous. I then had to go back to the RV park and I set the charge rate to 28 too and it worked just fine.

    Is Tesla still behind sending out these grey faced replacement adapters? Still haven't gotten one for our second Model S.
  • Jul 29, 2014
    purplewalt
    Okay, this was not the first time I have taken an extended road trip in my MS.
    It IS the first time I have taken it in HOT weather, so perhaps that is the issue.
    Last Oct./Nov. 2013 I traveled "into the wild" for over 3,000 miles, using only Burlington, NC Supercharger.
    Rest of time was either RV parks, state parks or a charge station outside of Whole Foods in Charlotte.
    And my car never tripped or reset itself (except twice at same poorly maintained RV park in TN, with broken and defective devices and breaker).
    There was a RV park that charged at only 26 A or 28 A, but I think it had 208 V instead of 240 V.

    But it was never close to being above 80 degrees or so during my other trip.
    IF I had taken this trip first and had such a poor charging experience with regard to time, I would NEVER have tried the trip to South Carolina.
    At least in my MS.
    I have traveled 495 miles in a single day (in my MS) using just RV parks (from just past Minden, LA to Anniston, AL).
    And THAT is a still a very long day, going about 58 to 61 mph as traffic and terrain allowed.
    So if you do the math, and you need max full range charge, you cannot get even close to that with a 10 or 11 hour re-charging stop between destinations in lieu of 7-8 hours.

    Maybe the LESSON (here) is to plan your path and rely solely on Superchargers during HOT weather and take your chances using RV parks and other resources during the other times of the year.
    Because 28 A or 30 A charging is so much significantly slower than 40 A charging.

    Lastly, to escape and then return to the Texas Island (twice), I spend the evening on the way out, arriving around 5:30 PM on July 11 and the night of July 27 arriving around 12:30 AM (past midnight) charging @ 40 A at an RV park in OKC (same one both times).
    Wish I had documented the temp on July 11, but on July 27 it was either high 80s or possibly even 90 degrees (I had been watching the temp all the way down from Hutchison, KS and it did vary).

    On the way North, I needed a full range charge in OKC plus a bit of help at Wellington, KS RV park (again 40 A for about 2 hours).
    On the trip South from Salina is where it kicked it down to 30 A with 103 degrees, needing a bit of extra charge @ Hutchinson, KS.
  • Aug 1, 2014
    Mayhemm
    Agree completely. The power-reduction software introduced in FW 5.8.4 may be necessary for safety, but it can sure make roadtrips a pain if your charging options are limited.

    For example, I ran into a current-reduction problem on my most recent roadtrip using my uncle's NEMA 6-50 plug (didn't know the 6-50 could even do that). This resulted in me needing to charge at a different location and sleep in the car in order to be on my way within the day (because there was nothing around this other charger) rather than in a nice, comfortable bed.
  • Aug 10, 2014
    freds
    The circuit breakers at RV parks get exercised a lot and get weaker over time. I was one RV place and it kept tripping since it was a spot up front, moved to the back corner of the lot and was able to pull 40 amps, but was also lower voltage.
  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét